Houston is an armpit

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Houston is an armpit

Post by campinfool »

I know there are some nice parts to this area, but my impressions this past couple of weeks sucks ass. I volunteered to come from Austin to work trouble reports for AT&T and I have some serious regrets. Supposed to be here at least 6 weeks, but I'm ready to bail. I've been working in neighborhoods roughly between Reliant Stadium and Hobby Airport. So far I'v had a 7 foot combination ladder, a 50 foot section of 50 pair aerial cable, a manhole blower, and a manhole pump stolen out of the back of my truck. We have a lockable docking station in the front seat for our laptops, but we are required to chain the laptop to the seat frame as well. We are given a sack lunch every morning since there is a lot of power outages around here still and the company does not want us to carry a wallet or any cash on us. While working 10-15 feet of the street, I constantly have to watch out for hood thugs trying to break in my truck right in front of me. It is so bad that as night falls we pack up and haul ass to the north side of town. I've been on storm restoration jobs in Brownsville, McAllen, San Antonio, Beaumont, El Paso, Midland, and Amarillo and have never felt uneasy about any hood in those towns. Houston is so bad right now it is unreal. I had a storm recovery PET I was going to post, but there is no way I'm carrying anything of value in this dump. Any Houstonians know where the worst part of town really is? I just need to know in case I roll into that area.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Houston is an armpit

Post by Mikey »

I thought they were changing the name to Houstorleans.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

uhhh, just what exactly is a manhole blower?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:uhhh, just what exactly is a manhole blower?

You have to ventilate any confined space before you work in it, more or less.

But I like where you're going with this.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

I've been in some living units almost that bad. And a manhole blower is used to purge the air from a manhole to ensure the dangerous gases flow out and fresh air is at working level.

.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

Odds are it resides in Iowa.
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

they were robbing the ATT trucks of their laptops like crazy in downtown st.louis.

here is a good tip, uncle who worked for Southwestern Bell used to do this, he worked in city and was stuck sometimes in the Hood.

have 2 wallets, your wallet with cash and credit cards, id etc. and a wallet that has $10 in it, its a cheap piece of crap, so no biggie if its lost.. its called the throw away wallet. the bruthas would wait till he was up the telephone pole, and then they would threaten him and throw shit, so he would use the throw away, they take the wallet and cash and go away. he stays alive, and still has his id, cash, and cc in his wallet, in his back pocket.

one dude told me, they would try to throw bricks an knock the SBC guys off the tele poles.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

St Louis area techs have to have a sign on their truck that says "Driver does not disconnect or carry cash". The worst hood I've been in before was Southmost road in Brownsville, Tx. Only place I spent 2 minutes in line at a convenience store and came out to find the side of my truck graffitied.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:

You have to ventilate any confined space before you work in it, more or less.
Is that what you did with the last skank you went down on ?
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

campinfool wrote:St Louis area techs have to have a sign on their truck that says "Driver does not disconnect or carry cash". The worst hood I've been in before was Southmost road in Brownsville, Tx. Only place I spent 2 minutes in line at a convenience store and came out to find the side of my truck graffitied.
Just an idea here ....

Improve your resume and job skills and get a new fucking job that does not require you to work in these hoods/cities/areas, unless your a cop with a gun ?

I was an ops manager at a company years ago... and this nog stole a 2 gallon can of gas from one of the techs pickup...the tech was Hispanic and chased that nog 2 blocks, found him under a truck, cut him and got his can back...

I told him to let the can and gas go next time and not take a chance, but he went on about some low life nigra that did not work stealing his tools....go figure...
Derron
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

New job? I volunteered for this duty. Don't think I can pass up 20-25K in 6 weeks.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

campinfool wrote:I know there are some nice parts to this area, but my impressions this past couple of weeks sucks ass. I volunteered to come from Austin to work trouble reports for AT&T and I have some serious regrets. Supposed to be here at least 6 weeks, but I'm ready to bail. I've been working in neighborhoods roughly between Reliant Stadium and Hobby Airport. So far I'v had a 7 foot combination ladder, a 50 foot section of 50 pair aerial cable, a manhole blower, and a manhole pump stolen out of the back of my truck. We have a lockable docking station in the front seat for our laptops, but we are required to chain the laptop to the seat frame as well. We are given a sack lunch every morning since there is a lot of power outages around here still and the company does not want us to carry a wallet or any cash on us. While working 10-15 feet of the street, I constantly have to watch out for hood thugs trying to break in my truck right in front of me. It is so bad that as night falls we pack up and haul ass to the north side of town. I've been on storm restoration jobs in Brownsville, McAllen, San Antonio, Beaumont, El Paso, Midland, and Amarillo and have never felt uneasy about any hood in those towns. Houston is so bad right now it is unreal. I had a storm recovery PET I was going to post, but there is no way I'm carrying anything of value in this dump. Any Houstonians know where the worst part of town really is? I just need to know in case I roll into that area.
The area around Reliant and Hobby is pretty shitty but not the worst part of Houston. That would be the Fifth Ward ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Ward,_Houston,_Texas ) that more or less borders downtown Houston to the northeast. (Dis)Honorable to the Sharpstown area in southwest Houston and the 59 & Little York area in northeast Houston.

Houston isn't that bad. It's just a huge city that's in a crisis. Brings the best out in some and the worst in others.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

campinfool wrote:New job? I volunteered for this duty. Don't think I can pass up 20-25K in 6 weeks.
That's what I clear selling chimes each weekend to Ren Faire dorks.

- m2
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Rack Fu wrote:
campinfool wrote:I know there are some nice parts to this area, but my impressions this past couple of weeks sucks ass. I volunteered to come from Austin to work trouble reports for AT&T and I have some serious regrets. Supposed to be here at least 6 weeks, but I'm ready to bail. I've been working in neighborhoods roughly between Reliant Stadium and Hobby Airport. So far I'v had a 7 foot combination ladder, a 50 foot section of 50 pair aerial cable, a manhole blower, and a manhole pump stolen out of the back of my truck. We have a lockable docking station in the front seat for our laptops, but we are required to chain the laptop to the seat frame as well. We are given a sack lunch every morning since there is a lot of power outages around here still and the company does not want us to carry a wallet or any cash on us. While working 10-15 feet of the street, I constantly have to watch out for hood thugs trying to break in my truck right in front of me. It is so bad that as night falls we pack up and haul ass to the north side of town. I've been on storm restoration jobs in Brownsville, McAllen, San Antonio, Beaumont, El Paso, Midland, and Amarillo and have never felt uneasy about any hood in those towns. Houston is so bad right now it is unreal. I had a storm recovery PET I was going to post, but there is no way I'm carrying anything of value in this dump. Any Houstonians know where the worst part of town really is? I just need to know in case I roll into that area.
The area around Reliant and Hobby is pretty shitty but not the worst part of Houston. That would be the Fifth Ward ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Ward,_Houston,_Texas ) that more or less borders downtown Houston to the northeast. (Dis)Honorable to the Sharpstown area in southwest Houston and the 59 & Little York area in northeast Houston.

Houston isn't that bad. It's just a huge city that's in a crisis. Brings the best out in some and the worst in others.
Any city's ghetto sucks ass. Ever go east of 35 around 12th st. in Austin? That's pretty fucking scary. Cypress, Memorial, Woodlands, and the Heights are pretty nice. I think that if you came over on that side of town you wouldn't feel so negative.

God knows that the hoods of Amarillo and Midland are scary :lol: You, my friend, are in the worst part of Houston.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

I was in Houston Tuesday and Wednesday and the Hobby area does look fairly shitty; and that wasn't including the amount of tree limbs and trash bags and torn apart roofs I saw. I expected traffic to be miserable but I'm not sure why I saw more cops directing traffic on Wednesday instead of Tuesday at some major intersections. I was staying in the galleria section and it was fucking nuts.

Once I was on 10 heading west (eventual destination of Austin), I saw that they had opened up the I 10 East ez-pass lanes but kept the westbound ones closed- it made getting out of that dump take forever.

Austin is a decent city- tried the Iron Works Barbecue- in a word- outstanding. Didn't get a chance to see much this time around but I understand there was the ASL was going on at the time.
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

12th and I35 in Austin is Dinsey Land compared to Rundberg and I35. All the new condo developement east of I35 and downtown has pushed all that trash north.
F-You man, I'll never go to Texas. I hated Texas from that point on.
-Eric Dickerson on his recruitment to the University of Texas
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Rundberg/ 35 is not the greatest part of town, but it is really not scary. Mostly drugs and prostitution. I will agree E 12st from I35 is pretty bad, especially around Chicon Dr and parts east of there. But all things equal, those parts of Austin are pretty tame compared to where I'm currently rolling.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

campinfool wrote:Rundberg/ 35 is not the greatest part of town, but it is really not scary. Mostly drugs and prostitution. I will agree E 12st from I35 is pretty bad, especially around Chicon Dr and parts east of there. But all things equal, those parts of Austin are pretty tame compared to where I'm currently rolling.
The point is that every city has a shitty area. I lived in Austin for 7 years and only went east of 35 on 12th for BBQ. All in all, Houston is a cool city.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

To be honest, there are parts of Durham, NC that I'd be more hesitant to drive through than any part of Houston. That's a city about 1/20th the size of Houston.

For being the 4th largest city in the country, Houston isn't that bad. Crime stats support that. It's not a quaint New England town by any stretch of the imagination. By the same token, it's certainly not Detroit, New Orleans, Memphis, St. Louis or the other cities that always grace the most dangerous cities lists.
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

campinfool wrote:But all things equal, those parts of Austin are pretty tame compared to where I'm currently rolling.
I havn't spent much time in Houston but I grew up in Dallas which also has hoods that Austin has no comparison. I sit next to a APD officer at UT football games who is a former DPD officer who said that their is no part of Austin he is hesitant to roll into alone where as Dallas was a diffrent story having many neighborhoods they would only go into with 2+ officers.
F-You man, I'll never go to Texas. I hated Texas from that point on.
-Eric Dickerson on his recruitment to the University of Texas
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

how bout MLK Jr Blvd in pretty much any city in the coutry?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
dotdotdot
Elwood

Post by dotdotdot »

I have a friend that is an HVAC contractor. He was on the roof of a strip center inspecting a few package units for what was thought to be damage. Turns out that every unit had been stripped for the coils and copper which was sold for scrap value. On top of that, while he was on the roof someone broke into his service van, stole his vacuum pump and various other expensive meters and tools, and then stole his ladder. So he was stuck on the roof of this strip center without a cell phone for about an hour.

Gotta love the acres homes area.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

smackaholic wrote:how bout MLK Jr Blvd in pretty much any city in the coutry?
Stop repressing the black people by your stereo typing of any street named " MLK Blvd,St, Ave,Way..etc.

The similarities in all these situations have to be a obvious mistake made by the white ruling middle class.
Derron
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

campinfool wrote: I've been working in neighborhoods roughly between Reliant Stadium and Hobby Airport. So ................... Any Houstonians know where the worst part of town really is? I just need to know in case I roll into that area.

Bwahh. You're pretty much in injun country down there. Go to Montgomery County where I reside. Lake Conroe is beautiful this time of year. U can borrow my jetski for a nominal fee..
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.
warren

Post by warren »

Great!

A dude from Mississipi talking about what an armpit Houston is.

I guess you don't get out much neck, anyplace around a stadium or an airport is probably not going to be where you park your kids, dumbass.

I grew up for a time in West H-town in the Memorial area it's fucking bad ass.

I can not get over all you fucks taking a jaunt to a new town and proclaiming it a shit hole, every town on this planet is going to have some good and some bad parts, well except Baghdad and anything in the Sudan or Somalia, but other than that you shouldn't go fix telephone lines in a hurricane ravaged city and proclaim it an arm-pit.

I can tell you this, dude from Mississip-ay-a would know what an armpit smells like, when I was working in Jackson years ago, shirts were definitionally optional at any of their "finest eateries."

Take your "man-pole" breathing apparatus and get the fuck out of my state, neck.