Back to College

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Back to College

Post by RumpleForeskin »

It's been a while.

Being a communications major was taking me nowhere, so I decided to get into the petrochemical business. I needed more education, so I gave a crack at 6 hours this summer to start things off. I was rusty with my study habits and retaining capacities while reading. I started the semester off slow but now I am in a groove. I went from making a couple of high C's on my first tests and now I just received two A's for my recent exams. Got two finals left and thats it. Probably will make a couple of high B's which is nice.

After shaking the rust off this summer, I've decided I want to get this associates degree in one year meaning I will have to take 30 hours in two semesters to "graduate". I already have all the core classes completed from my old college days and just need 36 hours of applied sciences to get this associates degree and then find a job at a refinery or petrochemical plant.

Worked full time and took one semester of 12 hours once back in the day. I think I made two As and two Bs. I almost fucking died though, so I'm sure you will all be encouraging me to do this. Fuck all of you.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Back to College

Post by Mikey »

"Associates" degree?

Now there's something to be proud of. Should take you a long way.

BTW...anything lower than an "A" in any JC class means that either you're not trying or you're a true dumbshit.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Rumps,

Your father-in-law must be so proud.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Mikey wrote:BTW...anything lower than an "A" in any JC class means that either you're not trying or you're a true dumbshit.
I was a communications major. Not much I can apply from that to these types of classes. These are all applied science courses discussing pressure, flow, electrical systems, processes, chemistry, physics, and equipment. It's something I've never done before, so yeah, I guess I am a bit of a dumbshit since I am new to this subject.

Should take you a long way.
Yep. My buddy is in the business and he said he made 90k last year. Sucks for him.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Goober McTuber wrote:Rumps,

He doesn't care either way.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

An aa degree from Lone Star Community College > masters degree from Cougar High.

Just Sayin'
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

mvscal wrote:
RumpleForeskin wrote:
Mikey wrote:BTW...anything lower than an "A" in any JC class means that either you're not trying or you're a true dumbshit.
I was a communications major.
I think that's what he said.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Left Seater wrote:An aa degree from Lone Star Community College > masters degree from Cougar High.

Just Sayin'
Having an Associates Degree in Process Technology and a BA in Communications is kinda $$$ in this town, no?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

RumpleForeskin wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Rumps,

He doesn't care either way.
I thought you worked for him?
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Goober McTuber wrote:I thought you worked for him?

I do, but he supports whatever I want to pursue as a career.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

RumpleForeskin wrote:

I imagine he supports the idea of having you work for someone else so that you can be replaced by some new flunky who doesn’t have the URLs for this place, Stucknut, Mag7, etc.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Goober McTuber wrote:I imagine he supports the idea of having you work for someone else so that you can be replaced by some new flunky who doesn’t have the URLs for this place, Stucknut, Mag7, etc.
Hehe. Probably.
Imus
Elwood

Post by Imus »

RumpleForeskin wrote:

So why not just pimp his daughter out, and you live high on the hog?
wolfman wrote:I also remember seeing all the old people dying in the streets because they did not have medicare. Good times.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Roach wrote:
...so I decided to get into the petrochemical business.
I thought there was a decreasing demand for pump jockeys.

How else will Dins get his beer money?
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Being a communications major was taking me nowhere, so I decided to get into the petrochemical business.
Trans: "I've started huffing"
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

mvscal wrote:
RumpleForeskin wrote:
I was a communications major.
I think that's what he said.
:lol:

I'm on track to get my Masters in Systems Engineering Management in March.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Imus wrote:So why not just pimp his daughter out, and you live high on the hog?
Because YerAFuckinJerkoffs = a pretty small % of clientele.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

R-Jack wrote:I wouldn't mind going back to school. I already know it will be different than the last time.
Definitely the case for me. I take my classes via video teleconference, and am the only student in the program at my location. A couple are in Virginia Beach, the rest are in Port Hueneme, and the instructors are in Monterey. Not the way I'm used to gettin' all edumacated.
These days I actually pass by a school everyday and I don't know any weed hookups anymore.
Same here. Kinda.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Imus wrote:
RumpleForeskin wrote:

So why not just pimp his daughter out, and you live high on the hog?
"High on the hog." I get it. Hahaha.
Jsc's Deathbed
Fuckin' Noob

Post by Jsc's Deathbed »

Jsc810 wrote:It would not be surprising if I go back to school after I retire.
I wouldn't get too ambitious.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Jsc810 wrote:for many careers, a communications degree is just about worthless.
I always figgered comm was what you majored in when you can't decide what major you want to pursue. Kinda the default degree.

Tom Waits
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I wanted to be a host of my own AM radio show. Everyone starts off in sales. I hate sales.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

RumpleForeskin wrote:I wanted to be a host of my own AM radio show. Everyone starts off in sales. I hate sales.
If you want to be in radio, do radio. If you can't find a college/independent station in your area to give you a show, then try Stucknut radio.

Or, maybe you don't want it bad enough.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I think Rumps was shooting for the morning drive-time slot on KILT-FM.

Anything less would be an insult to his talent and ego.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

RumpleForeskin wrote:I wanted to be a host of my own AM radio show. Everyone starts off in sales. I hate sales.
Not true. I wanted to be a radio deejay since I was a teen. I tried getting into radio when I was in the Air Force, but couldn't. Shortly after I got out, I went to a broadcasting school in Hollywood and got some decent training in voice, production, promotions, sales, and the other aspects of the biz. When I felt I had enough to get hired, I put together a tape and hand-delivered copies to nine stations between Thousand Oaks and Santa Barbara. I got hired that day (at a whopping $4.50/hr), and stayed with it (part-time) for 16 years. It's tough to make a living doing it in small-medium sized markets, because the pay is shit, and there is NO job security. But I had a full-time job that paid the bills, so the radio gigs were pretty much just for fun. Deejayed for rock radio, comedy, oldies, AC, hosted talk shows, sports shows, interviewed interesting people (including Joe Satriani, Alice Cooper, Rona Barrett, Tom Sneddon (the DA who prosecuted Michael Jackson), and others), got free tix to a shitload of badass concerts, and generally had a great time. And NEVER had to work a day in sales. Working for Clear Channel stations the last few years I was in it kinda soured me to the biz, and I've thought about getting back into it, but I travel too much and don't have the time. Still, good times.

Tom Waits
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Rumps,
Props to you for continuing your education. It's certainly a noble pursuit.

That said, starting a thread like this is sort of like strapping on a Redman suit and and saying hit me.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Rack Fu wrote:Rumps,
That said, starting a thread like this is sort of like strapping on a Redman suit and and saying hit me.
We all have roles to play here on this board. Buttsy, Bobby, and Pickle are doing their best to strip me of my role as the proverbial doormat of T1b.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Papa Willie wrote:You're in sales at an AM station?

You win.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Smackie Chan wrote:
Not true. I wanted to be a radio deejay since I was a teen. I tried getting into radio when I was in the Air Force, but couldn't. Shortly after I got out, I went to a broadcasting school in Hollywood and got some decent training in voice, production, promotions, sales, and the other aspects of the biz. When I felt I had enough to get hired, I put together a tape and hand-delivered copies to nine stations between Thousand Oaks and Santa Barbara. I got hired that day (at a whopping $4.50/hr), and stayed with it (part-time) for 16 years. It's tough to make a living doing it in small-medium sized markets, because the pay is shit, and there is NO job security. But I had a full-time job that paid the bills, so the radio gigs were pretty much just for fun. Deejayed for rock radio, comedy, oldies, AC, hosted talk shows, sports shows, interviewed interesting people (including Joe Satriani, Alice Cooper, Rona Barrett, Tom Sneddon (the DA who prosecuted Michael Jackson), and others), got free tix to a shitload of badass concerts, and generally had a great time. And NEVER had to work a day in sales. Working for Clear Channel stations the last few years I was in it kinda soured me to the biz, and I've thought about getting back into it, but I travel too much and don't have the time. Still, good times.
Corporate-fed playlists, or more than that?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Bump

Okay, so those Cs I got early in the semester I was curious to know what I missed on the exams. I requested my professor to bring those two exams to the final so I could look them over. Sure enough, I found a couple of questions where he counted my answers wrong, but they were really correct.

The correction on my scores raised both of those test grades to Bs. It turns out my persistant ways prompted all of the other students in the classroom to ask the professor to look at their graded exams. He was none to pleased about the uproar I created and now I think I am on his shit list.

Fuck.

I have him for 2 classes in the fall. I'm sure there is going to be a sign on my back when I first walk in the class.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Smackie wrote:I got hired that day (at a whopping $4.50/hr), and stayed with it (part-time) for 16 years. It's tough to make a living doing it in small-medium sized markets, because the pay is shit
Dead guys don't dent the payroll that much.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Bump

Okay, so those Cs I got early in the semester I was curious to know what I missed on the exams. I requested my professor to bring those two exams to the final so I could look them over. Sure enough, I found a couple of questions where he counted my answers wrong, but they were really correct.

The correction on my scores raised both of those test grades to Bs. It turns out my persistant ways prompted all of the other students in the classroom to ask the professor to look at their graded exams. He was none to pleased about the uproar I created and now I think I am on his shit list.

Fuck.

I have him for 2 classes in the fall. I'm sure there is going to be a sign on my back when I first walk in the class.
Hold on a second....let me check....yep, give-a-shit meter still pegged at zero.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Finished the grueling semester with three As and a B. I feel confident I can wrap this degree up by May, so I increased the spring term to 18 hours. I must be on meds, but I want to get this done ASAP.

Anyways, I tested for an operator position at a chemical plant and was one of six people selected out of a hundred for an interview. I went and interveiwed today and they grilled the fuck out of me about changing careers. I think I held my own, but who knows what they are looking for in a candidate. I have no experience in the field, so the odds are against me. We'll see.

Cue Goobs and his "Give-a-fuck" meter sitting still at 0psi.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

No, but this is what I do....annoy the fuck out of you.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

RumpleForeskin wrote:

Rack him - he clearly understand that you're one in a million.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

RumpleForeskin wrote:No, but this is what I do....annoy the fuck out of you.

Have some dignity.. wait, you live in Houston. Carry on.