Consensus?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Re: Consensus?

Post by Wolfman »

no shit !!
The lefties want to make us all bicycle riding/Birk wearing/vegan peons.
No sale !!
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

in
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

I think the consesnsesus is that we all will not read all that.
why is my neighborhood on fire
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Bizzarofelice wrote:I think the consesnsesus is that we all will not read all that.
Rack you.

Sin,
Pikkle
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Wolfman wrote: The lefties want to make us all bicycle riding/Birk wearing/vegan peons.
The Lefties are really doing a number on you, Wolfie...you have my sympathies.

As for riding a bike to work...hey, once they finish the riverside bike path through the brownfields along the Allegheny, I'm in!

I actually know a guy who for his spring/summer/fall commute walks 2 miles down to the river, kayaks a couple of miles to a bike rack, and then rides the rest in to the gym. Sure beats looking at absurdly obese bitches on the bus.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

After some cursory research, it appears that the consensus of the scientific community is that Viscount Brenchley is a gibbering dumbfuck.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

When it's your own choice--fine-- knock yourself out--and have fun in the winter on that bike path to work ! But when you have people like Barbara Boxer saying that everyone should live closer to their workplace and buy a "hybrid" vehicle--you can see the left working.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

when you have people like Barbara Boxer saying
When I see Barbara Boxer saying something, it's usually on Curb your Enthusiasm...or you're letting me know about it. How does that work, exactly? Is someone twisting your arm and making you hang on her every word? If you're expecting me to reciprocate by keeping you updated on what Dr. Laura does, you're going to be sorely disappointed.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

BSmack wrote:After some cursory research, it appears that the consensus of the scientific community is that Viscount Brenchley is a gibbering dumbfuck.
And round and round we go....

B, I think we can conclude that if there is not absolute truth to a hypothesis, then everyone is an "expert" until the hypothesis is proven to be true. Bottom line is there are two sides to this debate and nobody is right or wrong.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

PSUFAN wrote:I actually know a guy who for his spring/summer/fall commute walks 2 miles down to the river, kayaks a couple of miles to a bike rack, and then rides the rest in to the gym. Sure beats looking at absurdly obese bitches on the bus.

'Round these parts, they have bike racks on the front of the bus. They need to figure out a better setup on the trains, since bikers have to take the bike onto the train, and hope there's an empty hook, of which there's only two per car. But they're working on it.

'Round these parts, they also have river taxis that take you from the south end of town to the downtown business district. Never taken one, so I'm not sure if you can take a bike on the boat or not.

Got a new commuter train coming on line very soon that comes very close to the homestead. Should be cool.

I've been working right in the heart of downtown lately, right off a major "frequent service" bus that just happens to stop right by me (I live adjacent to an ungodly-busy business hiway). I've been loving that shit. Freaking easy, and if I get off work early enough, I can drink in the coolio bars downtown (and hit up the one a buddy manages), get snootered, and make my way home safely... assuming I don't miss the last bus heading south of the night (12:30AM cutoff is pretty weak), which would make for a very lame journey home, and could possibly result in spending the night in the park with some of our finest homeless folk... who are always polite and gracious about sharing the primo park benches.

I HATE it when that happens. But I usually make a claim on the Infatuated Slumpbuster Insurance Policy I paid so dearly for, rather than go all transient up in the places that are a little unsavory late at night.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

mvscal wrote:The objective is to create hysteria and fear as a predicate for separating ignorant rubes from their money. It's a scam.
Did you get your global warming talking points mixed up with Al Franken's Iraq policy?
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Dins, do the park benchies serve pancakes? It might not be such a bad stay if that were the case. The fetid smell of human waste is at least a warm smell - this much I know. If Global Warming doesn't slow though...it might get a little too funky.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dude -- it's summer. The reason the city officials have a fountain on every street corner (and a couple in the middle of the road) isn't just for civic asthetics...

it gives our homeless a place to shower.

Can't have the bums smelling bad when they're hitting up the tourists for change.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

the city officials have a fountain on every street corner
Bidets for the tall ones?
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

mvscal wrote:
socal wrote:
mvscal wrote:The objective is to create hysteria and fear as a predicate for separating ignorant rubes from their money. It's a scam.
Did you get your global warming talking points mixed up with Al Franken's Iraq policy?
My "global warming talking points" are based on actual temperature measurements, ice core data and actual quotes from algore saying he thinks it's appropriate to lie about global warming to scare people into accepting his solutions. You know...real evidence. Oh, I suppose you wouldn't know anything about real evidence now, would you?

What are yours based on?
Show me your actual temperature measurements and ice core data, playa.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

mvscal wrote: FACT: Measurements of ocean temperature are showing a drop in temperature.
Then why is the antarctic ice shelf melting during the winter?
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

ok, I'm not disagreeing with you, just asking.

I see now that the difference is between the ice shelf, which has gained mass and the peninsula, which is losing ice mass:
Antarctic Peninsula, a portion of the southern continent that points up toward South America. The peninsula has warmed about 2.5 degrees Celsius (4.5 degrees Fahrenheit) in the past 50 years, and seven ice shelves have retreated or disintegrated in the last two decades.
While the Antarctic Peninsula is losing ice, the Antarctic Ice Sheet as a whole will remain "too cold for surface melting and is expected to gain in mass due to increased snowfall," the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said last year. Even so, scientists have said that global warming may cause further melting in Antarctica.
So IOW AL Gore is using true but partial facts to support his cause.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mister Bushice wrote:true facts

Is that in close proximity to something?

Or an old adage?

Is Al Gore trying to raise up awareness?

Is he a stupid idiot?
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

mv, why are Polar Bears struggling to survive then?
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

When I was in college I took a geology course from a guy who just came back from 6 months study in Antarctica as part of the IGY (International Geophysical Year). I asked him what was going on and he said 1/2 the studies showed the ice cap was melting and 1/2 showed it wasn't. Some things never change !

http://www.nas.edu/history/igy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote:mv, why are Polar Bears struggling to survive then?

http://www.globalwarming.nottinghamshir ... bears.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Animals, humans included, have always done better in warmer periods.
Last edited by Dinsdale on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

It can gaining mass in terms of thickness, but losing it in surface square miles due to the melting.

But they aren't struggling all that much. again it's the naysayers using only those facts that support their cause:
According to the World Wildlife Fund, about 20 distinct polar bear populations currently exist, accounting for approximately 22,000 polar bears worldwide. Of those distinct populations only two, representing about 16.4 percent of the total population, are decreasing. At the same time, 10 populations representing approximately 45.4 percent of the total population are stable, and 2 populations representing about 13.6 percent of the total number of polar bears are increasing. The status of the remaining populations is unknown.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Wolfman wrote: Some things never change !
That's just the way it is.
But don't you believe them.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Okay then.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

RumpleForeskin wrote:mv, why are Polar Bears struggling to survive then?
Struggling to survive?

I think they're almost completely gone from Antarctica.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mister Bushice wrote:
mvscal wrote: FACT: Measurements of ocean temperature are showing a drop in temperature.
The disappearance of the ice shelf is mainly due to the fact that penguins have discovered the pleasure of a good vodka martini, shaken not stirred.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

More proof that they're thriving. Do these polar bears look like they're in trouble?

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

In another non-event-event, my backyard is loaded with honeybees right now.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Mikey wrote:
Mister Bushice wrote:
The disappearance of the ice shelf is mainly due to the fact that penguins have discovered the pleasure of a good vodka martini, shaken not stirred.

Not what I've heard:

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I got stung last week whilst sitting in my spa.

Couldn't have been a bee though.

BTW...

I was looking at one of these guys that had climbed up the side of the spa to get some sun when I put my hand down on the bee (or whatever stung me). A very strange looking little fellow.

Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

When I worked at Cornell doing entomology research on Asian Long Horned Beetles it was funded by money from the US Forest Service and as small as our project was, money did not seem to be a problem. I had a Cornell credit card with a $5K a month limit. I have to think that was small potatoes compared to some of this other stuff. Would some scientists "fudge" results to keep the money flowing ? Nah--they are scientists---right ??

Funny--I'm still listed as a technician on Ann's web page;

http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Faculty_Staff/Hajek/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

Mikey,

Great photo of the skink. I really didn't know what they were until last year...found one while pulling out an old retaining wall in our yard, and happened to have a biologist right there (a friend who was helping with the project) to tell me what it was. I had never seen it before. After we destroyed it's home in the retaining wall, it took up residence under our deck, and came out occasionally. One day my cat presented me with it's tail, and then I found the rest of the body not far away. Hopefully the eggs we found when we took out the wall and tucked under a tree eventually hatched and are new skinks in the new stone retaining wall.

On the bee thing, have had a few folks come around where I work with opinions on it and I have followed up on some of them. It seems that the folks that are having the worst problems are the industrial bee keepers, where the hives are seriously managed with antibiotics and fed supplements of refined sugars while they are moved around from crop to crop, with many of the crops being genetic hybrids which end up not having the kind of pollen the bees need. Beekeepers who have hives that stay in place and don't do the micro-management of the industrial hives are not having deaths or bees that go away and don't come back.

As for global warming, the idea that I love about it is...who fucking cares how it started or if it will go longer, let's just adapt. Plus, at $4 plus gas, it's about time we do something else than pay OPEC every single day when we have the technology to become less dependent on oil for housing and auto energy.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

mvscal wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:In another non-event-event, my backyard is loaded with honeybees right now.
Impossible. Honey bees have vanished from North America and, according to Einstein, human beings will soon become extinct as a result. I know this is true. LRS TARD said so and I know he wouldn't lie.
Was watching a show on Nat Geo about Alaskan oil and the dilemma the whole oil issue has caused there, and to the one town in ANWR.

The one question that did come up, that they presented but only made assumptions on the results, was the fact ( and it is a studied fact) that the tundra is melting at an increased rate. The alaskan tundra contains a lot of co2, which will be released back into the atmosphere as it melts. The hypothesis presented was that this will start the ball rolling on global warming as the co2 increases. They showed supportive aerial photos of the tundra from a few decades ago, and from today. The increase in the melt off was obvious. Some science dude has been studying it for decades and at the least believes his own chicken little story.

The locals were saying how for the first time in their lives there was no ice to hunt on, so certainly changes ARE occurring, however no one has any clue if next winter there might be a big freeze and bring a lot of it back.

They also showed polar bears scavenging from a whale carcass near town. This is due mostly to the fact they've lost habitat area with the ice melt.

I can see where Al gore has enough material to work with to make him rich, but not even the scientists have anything better to go on than assumptions. These popcorn munching 1 hour shows are filled with "Think" "Believe" "Assume" "Might be" "Could Be". Nothing is definitive.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Warmer weather will also probably bring more picnic baskets, ehh Booboo?
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

mvscal wrote:
Mister Bushice wrote: These popcorn munching 1 hour shows are filled with "Think" "Believe" "Assume" "Might be" "Could Be". Nothing is definitive.
Ah, yes. Who could ask for firmer scientific footing from which to pointlessly cripple our economy.
They also have no idea how much oil is in anwr, since only one test well was drilled there by chevron, then it was plugged and capped and they have not said what they found.

Prudhoe is down to less than 60% off its peak. Again another hypothesis, but they claim alaska only has about 15% of the total US oil reserves.

The oil companies don't help themselves, though. They convinced one small town up there to let them drill, promising they would be "Invisible". The town is now surrounded by an industrial oil complex. That does not make other local communities all that hot to jump on the drilling bandwagon.

Then you have this shit:

The Prudhoe Bay fields and the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline have suffered an average of 400 spills annually on the North Slope since 1995, a total of 1.5 million gallons.

Check this pic. A drunk hunter caused this one by shooting a hole in the pipe:

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mister Bushice wrote:They convinced one small town up there to let them drill, promising they would be "Invisible".

Uhm, yeah. The decision to drill lies entirely with small municipalities, and not the State of Alaska.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

They've only dug one test well, capped it and said nothing about their findings.

outside of guesses, the only real way to know the volume IS by drilling, other wise they wouldn't have to send drilling ships out to see to hunt for oil.

The real problem they have to deal with is the environmental impact. every time they've been close to opening up anwr for exploration, some major spill has occurred and nixed it.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Dinsdale wrote:
Mister Bushice wrote:They convinced one small town up there to let them drill, promising they would be "Invisible".

Uhm, yeah. The decision to drill lies entirely with small municipalities, and not the State of Alaska.
Not on tribal land they don't
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mister Bushice wrote:outside of guesses, the only real way to know the volume IS by drilling

Google the term "petroleum geology" and shut up... and not neccesarily in that order.

They've been able to estimate petroleum reseviors with some degree of accuracy for like 80 years, dumbass.

Might wanna familiarize yourself with "sedimentology," and "seismic geology" and all of those other technologies that have been around for decades and decades.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

They interviewed one of the big shots from chevron. He said, and I quote "We're having to look for oil in places we never used to. This deep water test well being drilled has a 1 in 5 chance of success"

I think I'll choose a chevron execs words over what you two clowns theorize.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/busin ... lship.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Samsung Heavy Industries' latest drill ship, West Polaris. Demand is so high for drill ships that builders have raised prices as much as $100 million per vessel since last year."