Grilling Fish

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Grilling Fish

Post by Adelpiero »

what would be the best method? wood plank?

Since i have a buddy who works for a Fish distrib company, i can get everything at cost. thinking about grilling a couple of these fish, and any comments on which is best and easier to grill would be helpful.

1. sea bass
2. tilapia
3. grouper
4. halibut

leaning towards grilling sea bass or grouper

all of the help everyone gave for grilling seafood was nailz, i recently grilled some shrimp(16-20) and some scallops, they turned out excellent.

* i realize that the seafood i get, will be inferior to the stuff Dins buys. I know this, because the best fish is caught off the shores of Oregon, but i thought i would still ask how to cook inferior fish!
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Grilling Fish

Post by Mikey »

I think you have made the right choice.

(Actually grouper is a kind of sea bass).

Halibut is a delicious fish, but a little difficult to grill because it is so delicate. It's great if you do it right though.

Tilapia is generally farmed. I try to stay away from any farmed seafood, except for maye oysters and mussels.

I grilled some baquetta sea bass last night and it was some of the best fish I ever tasted.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

slamon steak (from the U&L ofcourse) are awesome on the grill as is swordfish. Have no clues about the ones you cite other than to second what mikey said about faggity delicate fish. Nothing worse than watching real expensive and tasty fish become not so much tasty as it falls through the grill.

If you do have wimpy fish, just wrap it in some foil with butter, garlic and maybe some U&L sweet onions and cook away.

I am fairly certain that there has not yet been a food invented that doesn't taste better cooked in garlic/butter/onions.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Strawberry shortcake isn't so good w/ garlic, butter and onions. At least I don't think it would be - I've never actually tried it that way.

Something I forgot to add to my first response...

If you're looking at something called "Chilean seabass", it's not seabass. At least what they sell with that name around here is not. It's actually something called Patagonian toothfish, believe it or not. The Chilean seabass thing is some genius marketer's way of making it sound like something good. It's not nearly as good as a real seabass.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

smack

no need to dins this thread.

i'm open to grilling any fish and PET. those are just a list of some people enjoy. seems people love tilapia?

i can get salmon cheap. norwegian or atlantic. and will grill some, but will try something else, ok?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Try the grouper. You'll love it.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

My favorite is ahi tuna. Not a big salmon fan. From that list though, I'd go with grouper. Good eats.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:If you're looking at something called "Chilean seabass", it's not seabass.

As an avid angler of many years, I've learned a hing or two.

A "sea bass" is different in just about any region you go. Same goes for sea trout."

But your assessment is probably the best for universal purposes -- grouper are in fact the marine version of smallmouth/largemouth bass.

I fish for sea bass on an occasion. What I'm catching, you'd see in the store most likely as "red snapper," which is a generic term for the various Pacific Rockfish species.

Around here, a "sea trout" is usually a kelp greenling, or one of the small greenlings. Not to be confused with a "sea run trout," which is usually a anadromous cutthroat trout, which is the tastiest fish known to mankind, bar none, but isn't available commercially, and there's very few places to fish for anymore.

Tilapia is nasty.

Halibut... that's a U&L thing, right?

Well, you know...
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Amazing how terminology changes region to region. In the Gulf, Red Snapper is Red Snapper. We also have a Redfish. Neither had I ever heard them be referred to as a sea bass. In any case, both are great tasting fish. I always fry up Redfish. Snapper I like to Blacken and make a crawfish cream sauce to pour over it.

Red Snapper in the Gulf:

Redfish in the Gulf:

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Rack Indy.

I love the red snapper and red fish. Also get some trout and flounder out of the Gulf a lot too. Sometimes we'll do a fish fry with the trout and red fish, but we always blacken the snapper and flounder. Its so fucking good.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

My grandfather has a house in th emiddle of Christmas Bay. Many memories of staying the night over the water in the middle of the Bay. Fished all day for redfish, shark, red snapper, spanish mackerel, croakers flounder and did some oystering and casting for Jumbo Gulf Shrimp. At night, after cleaning the catch and eating what we could, we strapped on the weighters and went gigging for flounder.

One of my favorite dishes we always made was a flounder stuffed with blue crab and then blackened. Always have my dad take me out into the Bay even now when I return home to visit. Now that I have the two little ones though, we will probably just go to the beach and crab a little while the kids play on the beach.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I haven't had Spanish mackerel in years. That is some damn good fish.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

RumpleForeskin wrote:I haven't had Spanish mackerel in years. That is some damn good fish.
Try the rumple-esposa. I hear it's plenty mackerely.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

On a local/regional fishing board, there was apoll about favorite fish to eat...

Someone said flounder...

Everyone else laughed.

"Roof tiles" was the best description given for them, although a Pacific flounder could well taste different from a Gulf flounder, I suppose.

Poor man's halibut, at any rate.

Halibut is like tuna -- takes far too much effort to fish for. Too many fish right offshore to travel to the deep water, especially with gas at $4 a gallon, and a typical ocean-goer getting about 1 mile to the gallon.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Chilean Sea Bass is very enjoyable...very different from say a striped bass, but good nonetheless.

Escolar is also good - but make sure you have no more than 6 ounces at a sitting...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Sol
Crack Whore

Post by Sol »

Escolar? Never heard of it. Never should have clicked that link, tho... :shock: THANKS, PSU.

Reminds me of a funny (and foul) story I heard yesterday. A friend of mine is a regional manager of several local department stores. She told me that one of her stores had a "Code Brown" yesterday. As explained, this is when a customer takes a dump somewhere in the store, not in the bathroom. She explained this happens occasionally in fitting rooms, a customer will take a crap on a pile of clothes, and the associate will find it as they are picking up. Apparently yesterday's incident was somewhat unique, in that it happened in the main aisle of the store. Leaving a long trail of the BROWN from mid-store out the front door. Imagine the newest associate at that store had a pretty shitty day as well...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Red Snapper in the Gulf:

It’d be nice if she dropped her knickers so we could confirm that.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I put salmon steaks in the Jack Daniels EZ Marinader bag and put them on the charcoal grill. Let each side cook for 5 to 7 minutes over medium-high heat and they were $$$$.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:Escolar is also good - but make sure you have no more than 6 ounces at a sitting...
Add some fugu fish for the "Do you feel lucky" combo platter.
No shit.

Maybe that's the wrong reply...

Cooked that stuff once before I had read anything about it, and didn't really like it. No bad reactions but there was something about it that just didn't sit well.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

If you can get Red Snapper you should give that a go. Found a Bobby Flay recipe a while back on the web where he breaded the fish with egg and blue corn chips with a nice little dressing on the side.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobb ... index.html