Looks like JaMarcus was a bargain last year

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Looks like JaMarcus was a bargain last year

Post by poptart »

3rd overall pick Matt Ryan -- 6 yrs, 72 mil, almost 35 mil guaranteed.

1st overall pick J. Russell -- 6 yrs, 61 mil, almost 30 mil guaranteed.

Hmmmmm ..........

Aside from offering the take that inflation blows, I just don't think the Ryan kid will live up the $$ or the hype.
JMO.

McFadden and Dorsey just got a bit more pricey.

The suck.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Re: Looks like JaMarcus was a bargain last year

Post by Headhunter »

Other more notable paydays...

Cowboys lock up T. Newman and Marion Barber III past the possible uncapped year.

Jerrah gets a rack!

Now if Bum's son can bench Roy Williams for Pacman or Mike Jenkins and Move Henry to safety, we might have the makings of a badass secondary.

This thread hijack has been brought to you by the letter A.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Yeah, I think Atlanta overpaid for Ryan. The guaranteed money is what baffles me nowadays.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Yeah, I think Atlanta overpaid for Ryan. The guaranteed money is what baffles me nowadays.
Guaranteed money is only part of the equation. You also have to look at the incentives and determine how makable they are. Poptart's comparison is incomplete.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Ryan is in a less attractive market AND he wasn't the overall #1 pick, so the hype won't even be in the same neighborhood as it is for JaMarcus.

Ryan is getting paid more, but the pressure for him to perform is significantly lower than forJaMarcus.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Ryan is in a less attractive market AND he wasn't the overall #1 pick, so the hype won't even be in the same neighborhood as it is for JaMarcus.

Ryan is getting paid more, but the pressure for him to perform is significantly lower than forJaMarcus.
You don't know that unless you know the incentive structures for both contracts.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

What incentive structures? Its the QB position. That is the position where you couldn't possibly have any incentives in the deal for the first couple of years because of the learning curve.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Russell has some incentives, but they are such a very 'minor' part of the contract.
Give-or-take a couple/few mil, what you see with his contract is what you get.

I don't know about Ryan's incentives, but I'm guessing they don't amount to a significant amount either.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Odds are he won't, you're right.

When you're #1 overall the bar is set pretty damn high.

When you look at the list of #1's, most have not lived up to it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NF ... ft_choices" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hell, in the last 20 yrs, only Peyton Manning, Orlando Pace and Troy Aikman have been truly GREAT players.

Some other 'good' ones littered in there.

And some other total whiffs.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I hate seeing Bo Jackson's name. Always the "What if' with that guy. Greatest ever comes to mind.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
RumpleForeskin wrote:I hate seeing Bo Jackson's name. Always the "What if' with that guy. Greatest ever comes to mind.
Not much of a what if. If he doesn't get hurt, he goes to the hall of fame. If he played football exclusively, he would be 1a to Jim Brown's 1.
If he had played football exclusively, it is possible that his condition would have been exposed before he ever had a chance to make a serious impact. With Avascular necrosis, Jackson was a ticking time bomb.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

poptart wrote:Russell has some incentives, but they are such a very 'minor' part of the contract.
Give-or-take a couple/few mil, what you see with his contract is what you get.

I don't know about Ryan's incentives, but I'm guessing they don't amount to eating himself out of a job.
FIXED

http://www.theoneboard.com/board/viewto ... =3&t=27442
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Yeah, I think Atlanta overpaid for Ryan. The guaranteed money is what baffles me nowadays.
NFL owners are still getting off easy compared to baseball where it's ALL guaranteed money. I hate unions with a passion, since they've done more bad than good over the years (pre-emptive message to BSmack...start a new thread), but I'd give my left nut to join that one.
BSmack wrote:If he had played football exclusively, it is possible that his condition would have been exposed before he ever had a chance to make a serious impact. With Avascular necrosis, Jackson was a ticking time bomb.
I could be wrong, but I thought that condition was caused as a result of his injury, was it not? Didn't he lose blood flow to the bone ('sup Luther) AFTER the hit?
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40