Whats in your bag

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Re: Whats in your bag

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Another thing that I need to work on is staying within my routine. That can absolutely kill your game if you don't stick to the routine. It makes the shot that much more difficult to pull off. I remember back in February when I was playing Deerwood (where Tin Cup was filmed for Macavoy's melt down) I hit a beauty of a pitching wedge about 3 feet from the cup. I had a 3 hole carry over skin and a 3 hole carry over wolf bet on the line. I lipped the putt out and it cost me about $40. Well, we march on to the next hole and I didn't even bother going through my routine because I was steamed and I ended up slicing the fuck out of my drive. It sucked. I lost my ass that day and it was because I let that missed putt bother me.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote: 9 cheap beers and a few bowls of weed... seems to work for me.
that was going to be my second suggestion...thanks for stealing my thunder
get out, get out while there's still time
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I plan to hit the Club over lunch tomorrow. I miss 3 foot putts more than I should just because I'm not a very good putter. We got a new hole on the practice green that is about half the size of a normal hole. It's kind of like those basketball rims that are smaller than normal too that are used a lot for free throw practice. Anyhow, while I may never get control of the coons that cost me a few strokes, I can always get better at putting. That's where scorers score. I would like to get the handicap in the single digits by season's end.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I can't drink beer when I play, but I will always take a few swigs of the Canadian whiskey before I tee off just so I can take the edge off. Helps with the yips.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Btw, how many times are we going to see Nance and CBS relive the '86 Masters. Enough is enough.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

RumpleForeskin wrote:Btw, how many times are we going to see Nance and CBS relive the '86 Masters. Enough is enough.
HERESY
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

RumpleForeskin wrote:I can't drink beer when I play, but I will always take a few swigs of the Canadian whiskey before I tee off just so I can take the edge off. Helps with the yips.
Fuck I can't play without having a drink or 6. Otherwise, the yips play a round in the high 90s. That's why I hate going on the extended family vacation to Hilton Head each year because we play at like 7:00 AM in the morning. I would normally still take a Jack and Coke at that time to take the edge off, but my in-laws would shit and I'd take hell for it.

I don't have a "problem" with the drink, per se, but I can not play golf without getting a .06 in my blood. Anything less and I might as well save my money. That 76 I shot at the Raven in Sandestin was simply due to the fact we didn't tee off until 1:00 PM and I got to the course a full hour beforehand and loaded up at the grill.

Frisco BAC = .06 = Sub 85 round.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

For me, I think it has to do with having to take a piss every three holes throws my rhythm off. That is why I hit a couple of shots of the heavy stuff just before we hit the first tee.

My God, Indy, I just thought of you at Bethpage around 2am. Hell, by teetime you'd be staggering like Burgess Meredith on a 3 day Philly bender.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

IndyFrisco wrote:A shaft that is too flexible for the swing speed will tend to hook. A shaft that is too stiff for the swing speed will tend to slice.

Seriously? I thought it was just the opposite.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:BSmack,

I hope you are not referring to the fact I said I don't hit my Nickent Hybrid much because I snap hook it consistently.
No, I'm talking more about the guy who just HAS to have all the latest and greatest gear when he can't hit any of them worth a damn. Switching 1 or 2 clubs in your bag in an attempt to shave your 11 down to a 5 or 6 doesn't qualify.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:

I'll go with "neither," and I'll be right.

There's this thing called "timing"...

I may not have it, but at least I know what it is.

I can golf just fine without alcohol. I can go either way, really... if that's where the bus is going... I'll drink. If not... I'll score better. I leave that decision to others, generally.

But I can't golf without weed.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:I don't hit my Nickent Hybrid much because I snap hook it consistently.

What I've found in my (very) limited use of hybrids, is that I have to set up just a hair different from an iron, or I hook it.

Maybe the shaft is too short or the lie is to flat, but with the hybrid, I find I have to stand just a tiny butthair farther from the ball, and bend my knees just a tiny butthair more than an iron shot.

Then it doesn't hook.

Not saying that's your problem, just something to play with next time on the range. It feels a little weird to me to bend my knees any more (and we're talking a very slight amount), but otherwise it seems like I'm standing too close to the ball. Everyone is different -- I'm fairly but not freakishly" tall (long side of 6'1"), but I have gorilla-long arms, that are actually freakish, and result in them reaching close to the ground. So what works for me might not work for anyone else. Normally, no thought goes into where to stand in relation to an iron or wood, since it's pretty self-explanatory, but the hybrid just lines up a little different.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote: with the hybrid, I find I have to stand just a tiny butthair farther from the ball, and bend my knees just a tiny butthair more than an iron shot.
you've discovered the secret to hitting hybrids....swing em like woods
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Felix wrote:
Dinsdale wrote: with the hybrid, I find I have to stand just a tiny butthair farther from the ball, and bend my knees just a tiny butthair more than an iron shot.
you've discovered the secret to hitting hybrids....swing em like woods
If that is the case, why don't they make standard hybrids with a bit longer shaft? Woods have the longer shaft so you can approach the ball in the same manner as irons. If you need to stand further from the ball with a hybrid, why not make the shaft a bit longer? I'm fairly inexpierienced with hybrids considering I only hit mine for one season before I gave up on them. Maybe I need to try the approach to stand further from the ball and extend my reach. I never thought of that, but if the key is to stand further, I would have thought the standard shaft would be longer.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

And my need to have alcohol is probably just as mental as my yips with chipping. I play with 4-8 handicappers on a regular basis, and I am an 11. The fact I used to be scratch is probably why I get flustered when playing with these much better golfers. I remember when I used to have to play with a hacker how I hated waiting around for them to get it on the green. I am now the guy they are waiting on vs. the guy who was waiting on others. That can fuck with your mental game.

The alcohol gives me a "I don't give a fuck" attitude and I tend to play better. I don't let a bad shot make me think "Oh fuck what do they think" on each bad shot.

Oh, and like Rumple, I gotta have my chew when I play too. Same kind. Skoal Long Cut Straight. Small pinch in the back left corner of the cheek.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

IndyFrisco wrote:
If that is the case, why don't they make standard hybrids with a bit longer shaft? Woods have the longer shaft so you can approach the ball in the same manner as irons. If you need to stand further from the ball with a hybrid, why not make the shaft a bit longer?
I can only speak for myself, but when I say swing them like woods, what I meant was to flatten the swing plane, which standing further away tends to do. If I want to hit them higher, I stand a little closer to the ball so the swing plane is more upright which in turn results in a higher trajectory. You could put longer shafts on them if you wish, but a longer shaft will only flatten your swing plane out-either that, or you will consistently launch "burn up on reentry" moon balls
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:If you need to stand further from the ball with a hybrid, why not make the shaft a bit longer?
When I said "further from the ball," I was talking fractions of an inch.

And again, I was just relaying the problem I think was causing the hooks. I don't think the problem was with the bow and arrow, I just wasn't setting up right, although it seemed like I was. I just did a poor-man's swing analysis, and that's what I came up with. Just the way the club lines up for me (maybe because I'm a slightly taller than the average Joe, and the club isn't a perfect fit... I dunno), but being too close to it was causing me to bring the club ever so slightly inside, hence the hookers. Moved it farther from my feet, and got fade. When I line it up to where I actually have a real swing plane, it flies fairly straight, slight butthair of draw like most shots I hit. But when I get to where I think it's all square, I need to bend my knees just a fraction of a degree or something to get everything lined up.

^^^^ Horrible description, but I'm guessing you know where I'm coming from.

Again, my issues might be different from your issues, but something for you to mess around with during practice.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:but something for you to mess around with during practice.
Practice. Practice?

Sin,
AI

My practice is on the course. If I have an hour to hit balls on the range, I'd rather spend that hour playing. I have no visions of getting back to the player I once was. I have HORRIBLE issues with every part of my game from grip to swing. I use baseball grip. And no, not the baseball grip where your left thumb is down the shaft. I grip the club like you would a real baseball bat. My grip is the TRUE baseball grip. My high school coach tried to break me of it, but I was shooting 70-76 with my baseball grip and he was fine with that when I started shooting 110 doing it his way. I simply never took to any kind of grip other than the true baseball grip. I seem to have maintainted the consistency there.

My other bad habit was the "John Daly Swing." I have gotten away from it in the past couple years because I thought it was good for my game. I was once told "you can't swing that way forever" meaning my body would give way. Well, I still pull it out of the bag when I try to drive a driveable 4 in 1 or something like that, but I don't do it as much these days. I have finally convinced myself that a 160 yard PW is not necessary when you can hit a 9 just as far and much more accurate without trying to measure dicks. I would say I'm pretty much a parallel swinger now with a few occasions where I try to "grip it and rip it." My scores appreciate that mindset.

So, with those things in mind, who knows where my issues come form with the hybrids. Luckily, our PGA Pro at the Country Club is very bright. He learned from the Harmons. He worked Hilton Head. To this day, I don't know why he prefers our 9 hole country club vs. the course we stole him from which is in our same home town that is rated Southern Indiana's finest public couse. I don't care. He helped out my coons for awhile by getting me to say "Trains and Airplanes" in my mind on my swing where I said "Trains" on the back swing and "And Airplanes" on the follow-thru. Sounds stupid but it worked for a couple weeks. No coons and great chips. Then I somehow got away from it.

Long story short (too late) I may be taking some lessons from a great PGA Pro that I like to call my employee. :lol:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote: My practice is on the course. If I have an hour to hit balls on the range, I'd rather spend that hour playing.
We're so much in the same boat, it's not even funny.

The range bores me. Only things I practice are chipping in the backyard, and sometimes me and a buddy or two play "skins" on the putting green (always with beer in hand). Put some quarters or beers on the line, and the practice sessions become pretty competitive.
I use baseball grip. And no, not the baseball grip where your left thumb is down the shaft. I grip the club like you would a real baseball bat.
Oh yeah?

My right hand is turned about 90 degrees right. It's shifted there over the years because something is messed up in my wrist, and if I play a round with a textbook grip, it will hurt by the end. The "traditional grip" is more accurate, and I'd prefer to use it, but I think there would probably be some sort of surgery involved, and it rarely bothers me besides trying to play 18 with a standard grip, so I'll make do with what I've got. On the plus side, the face closes harder and the ball goes a little farther with my "weak right hand" grip, or whatever the heck you call it -- it's just not as accurate a way to hit.
My other bad habit was the "John Daly Swing." I have gotten away from it in the past couple years because I thought it was good for my game. I was once told "you can't swing that way forever" meaning my body would give way.

Were we separated at birth?

I used to hit my straightest longest drives when I'd bounce the club off my left ankle. Back problems and years have taken that mostly out of the bag -- although I can still pull off a Daly if I want, it takes effort and isn't natural and generally isn't accurate. Pretty much stops at parallel these days. Pitching wedge don't go 155 no mo'. Not stomping on an 8 from 175 no mo'. Got a whole bag full of clubs, don't need to hit the short ones 3 miles.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Goober McTuber wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:A shaft that is too flexible for the swing speed will tend to hook. A shaft that is too stiff for the swing speed will tend to slice.

Indy is Correct.

now; Seriously???????

did i have a post deleted, or did i just not drunkinly hit "submit" last night? HAHAHAHAHA......looks like that is the case upon further review!!!!

INDY

you HOOK the Nickent Hybrids because they are OFFSET.

Dins/Indy.....you play Hybrids like they are an Iron...not a Fwy. wood.
the hybrid shafts ARE Longer than an Iron Shaft...hence; you hit them farther.

if you play them like a Fwy. wood.....you'll hit them much lower---->you're not utlilizing the low CG of the Hybrid clubhead ....because your swingplane is FLAT.

swing them like an Iron and utilize the Mass.

the Pied~Piper called---->i said that i was Busy.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Qbert wrote: if you play them like a Fwy. wood.....you'll hit them much lower---->you're not utlilizing the low CG of the Hybrid clubhead ....because your swingplane is FLAT.

I'd listen to him...he's prelaw
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Qbert wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

Indy is Correct.

now; Seriously???????

did i have a post deleted, or did i just not drunkinly hit "submit" last night? HAHAHAHAHA......looks like that is the case upon further review!!!!

INDY

the hybrid shafts ARE Longer than an Iron Shaft...hence; you hit them farther.

if you play them like a Fwy. wood.....you'll hit them much lower---->you're not utlilizing the low CG of the Hybrid clubhead ....because your swingplane is FLAT.

I did some googling ('sup Dins) and yes, the explanation made sense. The infomercial I watched some time back for the "Perfect Club" seemed to present the idea of hitting it like an iron.

I just started swinging golf clubs again for the first time since 2006 (significant rotator cuff damage repaired last March), and I'd just like to say that I'm hitting with moderate power to all fields.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Goober McTuber wrote:
I just started swinging golf clubs again for the first time since 2006 (significant rotator cuff damage repaired last March), and I'd just like to say that I'm hitting with moderate power to all fields.
ouch
but rack the comeback

rotators are the ultimate suck as it relates to a golf swing
(been there done that)
good luck
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Goober McTuber wrote:I'm hitting with moderate power to all fields.

Bill Spiers salutes you.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Qbert wrote:Indy is Correct.
Now that we got that covered... :mrgreen:
now; Seriously???????

Been there, done that. I've found that sometimes when I hit submit, it sends me to the preview screen. I figured it is just a software bug. I dunno.
INDY

How are they offset? Are they all offset identically or do they sell them with different offsets? I do not want an offset club. I have a natural small draw. If anything, I would want it offset for a fade as I usually try to play with a small fade. Seems much easier to control than a draw for me.
That's what I thought and why I questioned it. Of couse, if it is offset, this point is moot and I could give a fuck because I ain't hitting something that is offset to add to my draw.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Felix wrote:
Qbert wrote: if you play them like a Fwy. wood.....you'll hit them much lower---->you're not utlilizing the low CG of the Hybrid clubhead ....because your swingplane is FLAT.

I'd listen to him...he's prelaw
no JT....its pre-school........

BA/poliSci should've told'ya.

:mrgreen:
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

IndyFrisco wrote:
Qbert wrote:Indy is Correct.

How are they offset? Are they all offset identically or do they sell them with different offsets? I do not want an offset club. I have a natural small draw. If anything, I would want it offset for a fade as I usually try to play with a small fade. Seems much easier to control than a draw for me.
they are all offset the Same...draw~biased. Indy; u need to be researching hybrids that = Adams Idea Pro, Titleist 585, Sonartec, Mizuno Fli-Hi Clk and Callaway new FT.
That's what I thought and why I questioned it. Of couse, if it is offset, this point is moot and I could give a fuck because I ain't hitting something that is offset to add to my draw.
automatic HOOK is good for a lot of us....just not for "handsy~players." E-Bay for Sonartec Hybrids---->do it.....or golfgalaxy.com :mrgreen:
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, as pissed as I am that I spent the cayshe for the offset Nickent's, I'm at least a bit happier now knowing WHY the hell I hook them as much as I do.

Anyone want to buy a 14* and/or 20* Nickent Hybrid? Barely used. Lot of hooks left in them. :brad: :brad: :brad:
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:Well, as pissed as I am that I spent the cayshe for the offset Nickent's, I'm at least a bit happier now knowing WHY the hell I hook them as much as I do.

Anyone want to buy a 14* and/or 20* Nickent Hybrid? Barely used. Lot of hooks left in them. :brad: :brad: :brad:
I assure you I can take the hook out of any club you have in your bag with a loft less than 25 degrees.

BTW: Going to hit the links for the first time tonight. Between getting the house ready for the new arrival and getting the house ready for the new arrival, I haven't had much time for golf. I look forward to slicing a few drives into the Genesee River.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Talked to our golf pro and he has a Titelist guy. He's going to get some demo clbs for me. Amazing idea! Try before you buy!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Upon further review, my Nike CPR2 "Iron Wood" has little-to-no offset.

I can still hit a snap hook into the woods just fine with it, though.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Yesterday was the first day for our men’s league. 34°, windy, and rain mixed with snow. Sweet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:Yesterday was the first day for our men’s league. 34°, windy, and rain mixed with snow. Sweet.
Ball sure flies nice when it's sub-40 and wet, eh?

A little advice from U&L guy -- assuming the greens are a little spongy/swampy, I've usually had better luck playing to where I can hit a full wedge, rather tan playing up as close as possible. If I can take a full swing, I can, in theory of course, come in "high and hot," which I've always had better luck with on soft greens.

But hen again, I think you'd probably better doing it how you see fit, rather than what I think is best.

I'm just basing things on playing U&L winter golf... which wasn't really an option this last winter. Not enough (or any really) mild stretches to make it feasable. Some years it's doable, some years not so much. This was not one of those years. But things are getting pretty decent now... better late than never.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Believe it or not they called the whole thing off. Sucked down a couple of Jack & waters and headed to a bar.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Ah... an even better play than taking full swings with the wedges.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Played over the weekend-btw.

The back isn't quite fully healed yet.

I did break out into song at one point... at the topof my lungs... RACK beer.

Who can take a long drive
Sprinkle it with poo
Slap around yard while he dreams of on-in-two

The Bogey Man
The Bogey Man can
The Bogey Man can because he mixes in the suck and makes the hacks look good

BTW-it was really crowded and slow at the time. I may not have scored well, but at least I made about 3 foursomes waiting on the tee laugh like hell.

Did I mention I'm a real hoot to golf with?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Along the same lines. My song.

Who can drive it near green
Upon a par four
Coons it couple times while he screams more and more

The Cooning Man
The Cooning Man can
The Cooning Man can because he has the yips and he turns birds into boges
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

IndyFrisco wrote:Along the same lines. My song.

Who can drive it near green
Upon a par four
Coons it couple times while he screams more and more

The Cooning Man
The Cooning Man can
The Cooning Man can because he has the yips and he turns birds into boges
Had that exact thing happen to me my first time out this year. On the first two holes no less. I should have walked off the 2nd green at no worse than even par and maybe even 1 under. Instead, I was 3 over right out the gate. Funny thing is that I normally pride myself in my short game. Guess it needs a little work. :oops:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:Funny thing is that I normally pride myself in my short game.

Even at my worst, regardless of injuries, I'm usually pretty darn solid near the green. Often saves me from complete humiliation when I start yacking it around the yard. Hell, couple weeks ago, I put up some huge number (while whining about my back cramps)... like 105 or something higher... and I don't think I carded a three putt.

Last weekend... uhhhhhh... not so much.

BUT... the weather is getting much more conducive to doing a little chipping in the backyard (actually, it's not so much weather as condition of the grass), so hopefully I can tighten distances and lofts on the short chips up a little bit, and get back to nailing up-and-downs somewhat reliably.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:get back to nailing up-and-downs somewhat reliably.
"Up-and-downs" is a U&L euphemism for meth-addled bar skanks, right?