Pinched nerve pain recommendations

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Pinched nerve pain recommendations

Post by Rack Fu »

Anyone have any recommendations for alleviating this shooting pain? I spoke to our staff nurse and got the usual Aleve/Ibuprofen, heat/ice, resting the affected area, yadda, yadda, yadda. That goes without saying.

Just wondering if anyone had any homeopathic/non-conventional treatments that helped (besides the inevitable "why don't you just kill yourself" remarks)? It's kicking my ass.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Re: Pinched nerve pain recommendations

Post by OCmike »

I had a pinched nerve in my hip during Navy boot camp. <---Insert predictable gay response here

Great timing, especially considering they made us march a couple of miles a day. Rather than rest it, I decided to walk it off. It was excruciatingly painful for a couple of days, but the activity made it go away IMO.
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
Rollins
The Crew

Post by Rollins »

I can end the pain PERMANENTLY. Just say the word, greasedick.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Back?

Pinching a lumbar nerve is no fucking joke, and I know a whole buncha posters here have dealt with it. And I won't even joke about that shit... ain't no laughing matter.

But if a nerve is pinched in a joint, the joint needs to move to unpinch it. Easier said than done. Some people have good luck with chiropractors.

But stretch stretch stretch. Also easier said than done. Start slowly, with as much as you can bear. Shit will pop back into place eventually.

Smack aside, I feel for anyone who has to deal with pinched nerves. Shit'll ruin your day.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Dinsdale wrote:Back?

Pinching a lumbar nerve is no fucking joke, and I know a whole buncha posters here have dealt with it. And I won't even joke about that shit... ain't no laughing matter.

But if a nerve is pinched in a joint, the joint needs to move to unpinch it. Easier said than done. Some people have good luck with chiropractors.

But stretch stretch stretch. Also easier said than done. Start slowly, with as much as you can bear. Shit will pop back into place eventually.

Smack aside, I feel for anyone who has to deal with pinched nerves. Shit'll ruin your day.
It's in my shoulder/lower neck area on my left side. More than likely in the joint area of my shoulder. If I try to lift my left arm above my head... OUCH!

I didn't sleep for shit. I had to go home from work after being there for an hour. To top it off, my wife is traveling on business this week so I'm playing Mr. Mom to my 2 1/2 year old. He could care less if I'm hurt. Picking him up and putting him in his car seat was certainly no easy feat.

So yeah, shit is ruining my day. I want my mommy. :wink:
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Two words, Fu:

Flexeril Image

and Oxycodone Image

you'll need about this many:Image

I'm not bullshitting. I had pretty much the same thingie a couple of times- turned out to be a pinched nerve in my neck but the pain felt exactly like a problem in the shoulder joint. You may want to make fliends with Mr Celebrex as well.
Last edited by Cuda on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If it's the neck/shoulder, try hanging by it from a rafter. Might jar shit loose... and will hurt like hell while you do it.

***Disclaimer*** I'm not a doctor, nor a chiropractor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn or any shit like that, and I'm absolving myself of liability should this psuedoadvice result in futher injury of paralysis.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

What I can say is this...RtS should be along soon to recommend some pain-killing techniques.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

trev wrote:Image
I don't think Fu is looking for nooky (even if it was a temporary distraction), but it's nice of you to offer.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
pron
Elwood

Post by pron »

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

What can a fatass bitch like that do for Fu?
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

You do need to "pop" it back in. Any trained massage therapist can do it for you. I used to know one who could do it in seconds, the relief is immediate. Chiropractors are solid as well, they can isolate the problem, alleviate it, and show you stretches to avoid them in the future.

Good luck.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I had bulging discs in my lower back when I was 20 and 22. I have a narrow spinal column and these discs were pinching my sciatic nerve. The pain was so bad I could only lay on my back. Both times, I had to have epidurrals. Both times, it worked. 9 years since my last one and it has not come back.

Oh, and if you go this route, listen to them and do not eat before the epidurral. My first one, I didn't listen and ate a huge meal right beforehand. They said I could have the epidurral without aenesthesia or I could wait two more weeks when the next opening was available. I was in so much pain I went through with it without being knocked out. Big fucking mistake. I wanted to die.
DC Smackmaster
Elwood

Post by DC Smackmaster »

Charles De Mar
Elwood

Post by Charles De Mar »

Rack Fu wrote:Anyone have any recommendations for alleviating this shooting pain? I spoke to our staff nurse and got the usual Aleve/Ibuprofen, heat/ice, resting the affected area, yadda, yadda, yadda. That goes without saying.

Just wondering if anyone had any homeopathic/non-conventional treatments that helped (besides the inevitable "why don't you just kill yourself" remarks)? It's kicking my ass.
You have a pain and

you spoke to a staff nurse....

and now you are asking for medical advice on this fuckjob board?

Go fuckyourself.
yumyumsaladbar wrote:Hey Pickle. I think we're going to be friends
Do you know when you have a wank in the tub and the spunk gets all rubbery and floats to the surface? - thats pretty much like your posts on this forum. You seem to me like like some sort of rubberized jism ....floating on a sea of soapy piss water
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Get a 10 lb. sledge hammer.

Pick it up about waist high, if you can.

Slam it down on your right big toe.

The pain in your shoulder will immediately be pretty much unnoticeable.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

Charles De Mar wrote:
Rack Fu wrote:Anyone have any recommendations for alleviating this shooting pain? I spoke to our staff nurse and got the usual Aleve/Ibuprofen, heat/ice, resting the affected area, yadda, yadda, yadda. That goes without saying.

You have a pain and

Go fuckyourself.
What a ray of sunshine YOU are, Chuckles.
T1B- THE place to be for fun, informative sports talk....or NOT:
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
Charles De Mar
Elwood

Post by Charles De Mar »

RevLimiter wrote:
Charles De Mar wrote:
You have a pain and

Go fuckyourself.

I'm trying to make new fliends. I'm new to the bored. Will you be mine?
yumyumsaladbar wrote:Hey Pickle. I think we're going to be friends
Do you know when you have a wank in the tub and the spunk gets all rubbery and floats to the surface? - thats pretty much like your posts on this forum. You seem to me like like some sort of rubberized jism ....floating on a sea of soapy piss water
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote:
I don't think Fu is looking for nooky (even if it was a temporary distraction), but it's nice of you to offer.
In all fairness, I'd nail that chick in the pic. A little pain wouldn't stop me from doing that. It would probably be worth it.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

The æffects of the narcotics are longer lasting, btw
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

Charles De Mar wrote:
RevLimiter wrote:
Charles De Mar wrote:
You have a pain and

Go fuckyourself.

I'm trying to make new fliends. I'm new to the bored. Will you be mine?
Only if you share a hatred for ankle-biters and wet-brained fucktards.
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

RevLimiter wrote:
Charles De Mar wrote: I'm trying to make new fliends. I'm new to the bored. Will you be mine?
Only if you share a hatred for ankle-biters and wet-brained fucktards.

Hate to break it to you, tubby, but Chuckles is “all of the above.”
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

See what I mean, Charles? :lol:
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

RevLimiter wrote:See what I mean, Charles? :lol:
Oh, you two should definitely see eye to eye. Pair of double-digit IQs comparing notes.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Not sure about whatever it is that you have, but, I've had a few, fairly minor sciatic flare ups and each time, it felt better when kept moving. Same applied to pulled back muscles. Keep moving around kept it loose and relatively pain free. Standing in one place was the worst, sitting wasn't much better.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

RevLimiter wrote:wet-brained fucktards
BTW, I've noticed lately your proclivity for throwing this term my way. You really do embrace your status as an IKYABWAI tard, don't you?
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Goober McTuber wrote:Pair of double-digit IQs comparing notes.
You must be in a good mood today.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

RumpleForeskin wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Pair of double-digit IQs comparing notes.
You must be in a good mood today.
Yes. Last workday of the week will do that.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

By the way, I suffer occasionally from this. Coincidentally, I've been dealing with it for the past week or so. The best treatment I've found is massage therapy. My HMO offers it with a 50% co-pay. $32.50 for a one-hour treatment. Well worth it. I schedule one every two months. Just so happens the last one was cancelled a couple of weeks ago due to therapist being unable to get to work in a big snow storm. They've been unable to reschedule me, so I may be suffering for two more months.
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

See Cuda's post. You need to be unconscious for at least a couple of days.

And you probably feel you need to be.

Hope you get over it soon.
AJ
Irrelevant

Post by AJ »

I have a pinched nerve in my neck. 100 mg of amitriptyline works for me.
another satisfied Hardcrow customer
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Charles De Mar wrote:
You have a pain and

Go fuckyourself.
He works for the US Gov't. If your job had a "staff nurse", would you give two shits about what she had to say? Me neither...and I work in the health care industry.

Fu, I've had two back problems for years. One between my shoulder blades that used to pop out without warning and another that pinched my sciatic nerve as a result of a lumbar injury from an ever-so-graceful slip and fall on asphalt while at work when I was 18.

Even though I've slept on reasonably decent mattresses for the majority of my adult life (Sealy Posturpedic, etc), I still had one of the two back problems pop up every 3 months or so. That is, until the day that the OL and I had a couple of grand left over from the sale of our house and went mattress shopping.

Of course the guy tried selling us the $2000 ridiculous mattresses that were so thick you'd have to buy custom-fitted sheets just to get around the fucking thing. After listening to his B.S. for about ten minutes, I finally asked him what kind of mattress he had in his house.

He showed us the floatation mattresses and I was immediately hooked. It's a waterbed, but rather than being one big water bladder that tosses you and your significant other all over the place, it's ten individual water tubes with stability gimmicks to prevent the waves you get in a regular WB. He told me that what was special about the mattress was that because of the individual tubes filled with water, it supported your back in a way that springs couldn't. In fact, it supported you so completely that your back muscles would completely relax while you slept because they didn't have to support your body. I gave him the :roll:-look, because it sounded like the standard sales pitch. He told me to hop on the mattress and try it out myself. He said to just give it a minute or so and I'd feel my back muscles start to relax. I gave it a minute and sonofabitch, that obnoxious sales prick was right! My back muscles did release!

We've had that mattress for six years now and I have had exactly zero back problems since. Well, except for when we're at a hotel or visiting parents or somewhere else where I'm away from it.

There's two other really good aspects to the bed:

1 - The stability gimmicks in the tubes reduce the waves, so even though I'm a big guy and my wife is petite, when I flop over while asleep as I'm prone to do, the OL barely moves, if at all, and doesn't wake up. When we had a standard mattress, I used to wake her up all the time from flipping and flopping around. And, as we all know, the less the OL is awakened at night, the happier everyone else in the house is. :D

2 - I like it firm <-----Insert gay joke here, while the OL prefers a softer mattress. This is easily controlled by just filling up the tubes on the side that you want to be firmer just a bit more than the other side.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, the mattress ran us $900 for a King Size six years ago. Yeah, that's a lot to pay for a mattress, but being someone who had accepted having sciatica and pinched discs several times a year, I haven't regretted it one bit. It's one of the few things that I've owned that I can say was truly worth every penny.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

OCmike wrote:Lastly, and probably most importantly, the mattress ran us $900 for a King Size six years ago. Yeah, that's a lot to pay for a mattress, but being someone who had accepted having sciatica and pinched discs several times a year, I haven't regretted it one bit. It's one of the few things that I've owned that I can say was truly worth every penny.
Come on now...$900 is high for a king size? That is low-end mattresses if you are talking king size. I hate spending big money on mattresses but you spend 1/3 of your life laying on the damn thing. It is worth every penny to get a good mattress at whatever cost. We just got a new king size mattress. We already had the extra large fitted sheets because our last mattress was the same way. THis one ran us $2500 and I call that "middle of the road" as far as king size mattresses go.

There are many things in life I skimp on. Mattresses, food, vacations, gifts for the kids and OL and a good pair of jeans or shoes I do not.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

OCmike,
If Fu takes your advice and we hear of a Fed in Houston "eating a bullet" you will be forbidden from giving advice to anyone here (with a few noteworthy exceptions where you will be required to give them advice until the desired outcome occurs, PM list to follow).
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

OCmike wrote:
Charles De Mar wrote:
You have a pain and

Go fuckyourself.
He works for the US Gov't. If your job had a "staff nurse", would you give two shits about what she had to say? Me neither...and I work in the health care industry.

Fu, I've had two back problems for years. One between my shoulder blades that used to pop out without warning and another that pinched my sciatic nerve as a result of a lumbar injury from an ever-so-graceful slip and fall on asphalt while at work when I was 18.

Even though I've slept on reasonably decent mattresses for the majority of my adult life (Sealy Posturpedic, etc), I still had one of the two back problems pop up every 3 months or so. That is, until the day that the OL and I had a couple of grand left over from the sale of our house and went mattress shopping.

Of course the guy tried selling us the $2000 ridiculous mattresses that were so thick you'd have to buy custom-fitted sheets just to get around the fucking thing. After listening to his B.S. for about ten minutes, I finally asked him what kind of mattress he had in his house.

He showed us the floatation mattresses and I was immediately hooked. It's a waterbed, but rather than being one big water bladder that tosses you and your significant other all over the place, it's ten individual water tubes with stability gimmicks to prevent the waves you get in a regular WB. He told me that what was special about the mattress was that because of the individual tubes filled with water, it supported your back in a way that springs couldn't. In fact, it supported you so completely that your back muscles would completely relax while you slept because they didn't have to support your body. I gave him the :roll:-look, because it sounded like the standard sales pitch. He told me to hop on the mattress and try it out myself. He said to just give it a minute or so and I'd feel my back muscles start to relax. I gave it a minute and sonofabitch, that obnoxious sales prick was right! My back muscles did release!

We've had that mattress for six years now and I have had exactly zero back problems since. Well, except for when we're at a hotel or visiting parents or somewhere else where I'm away from it.

There's two other really good aspects to the bed:

1 - The stability gimmicks in the tubes reduce the waves, so even though I'm a big guy and my wife is petite, when I flop over while asleep as I'm prone to do, the OL barely moves, if at all, and doesn't wake up. When we had a standard mattress, I used to wake her up all the time from flipping and flopping around. And, as we all know, the less the OL is awakened at night, the happier everyone else in the house is. :D

2 - I like it firm <-----Insert gay joke here, while the OL prefers a softer mattress. This is easily controlled by just filling up the tubes on the side that you want to be firmer just a bit more than the other side.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, the mattress ran us $900 for a King Size six years ago. Yeah, that's a lot to pay for a mattress, but being someone who had accepted having sciatica and pinched discs several times a year, I haven't regretted it one bit. It's one of the few things that I've owned that I can say was truly worth every penny.
I can attest to this. Whenever I visit MsOC, I'm like, damn, this is one comfy bed.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

IndyFrisco wrote: Come on now...$900 is high for a king size? That is low-end mattresses if you are talking king size.
No, I'm saying $900 is a lot for many people to drop on a mattress considering you can get any number of brand name mattresses for $500. I wasn't speaking specifically about kings.
OCmike,
If Fu takes your advice and we hear of a Fed in Houston "eating a bullet" you will be forbidden from giving advice to anyone here (with a few noteworthy exceptions where you will be required to give them advice until the desired outcome occurs, PM list to follow).
Give me 30 seconds to talk with Todd and I'll have him doing a swan dive onto a fireplace poker.
Smackaholic wrote:I can attest to this. Whenever I visit MsOC, I'm like, damn, this is one comfy bed.
A rickety fucker like you? Please. My Miniature Pinscher would shred you the moment you stepped in the door. If you're a new face in an enclosed area with a Min Pin, God and G0D help you...that's all I can say.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Jsc810 wrote:Chiropractors are quacks. If you go to them with a problem in your back, you don't have the sense that God gave to a monkey..
Funny, I always figured you were a Darwinist, not a creationist
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Sam, what you say makes sense: There are good docs and bad docs in any field.

But I think most of us have a problem with Chiros because they don't have to go to medical school, do any sort of residency at a hospital like a typical doc, and usually have their offices in run-down strip malls.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

I have back problems and stenosis in my neck, but the thought of going to a chiropractor makes my blood run cold.

The whole profession was started by David Palmer, a friggin grocer. Palmer dabbled in magnetic healing until he allegedly cured a guy's deafness by mashing him in the spine and voila, the so-called science of "chiropractic" was born.

I know that some people swear by chiropractors, that these guys have had 100 years to mess with peoples' backs and figure out a few things that work. I also know the established medical community often fails miserably when dealing with the spine, nerves, and disks, and thus a niche definitely exists. Still, I'd be very careful about letting some chiropractic "doctor" bombard me with x-rays and start yanking on my spine. Ask around first and tread with caution. After all, it's possible to kill somebody by yanking on their neck.