Time for a new rig.

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Time for a new rig.

Post by smackaholic »

The OL is whining about having to drive her old minivan to work and with young miss smackaholic about to get her license (fuck) it really is time to add to the stable.

Probably gonna get some sort of boring 4 dr sedan. The OL likes altimas. I kinda like them as well as accords, camrys, sonatas. Trouble is, even a low mile used one is gonna bring better than 10 grand.

I been getting by just fine without a car note for many, many years and would like to keep it that way, but, I would like to get something less than 4 years old and with under 50K on it. I've seen 1-2 year old tauri with under 20K on them go for 8-9 grand. I could write a check for one of those, or damn near anyway.

The question is, is a 2 year old accord 5 thousand dollars better than a 2 year old taurus? I kinda doubt it. So I am leaning towards the ford or possibly a similar GM/Chrysler type rig.

What do you tards think?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: Time for a new rig.

Post by Goober McTuber »

I’d go with the Accord, on the assumption that it would cost less to maintain, last longer, etc. KFC Paul will call you un-American, so you’d have that going for you. Ultimately, I’m sure you’ll do whatever your wife tells you to do.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Always liket the Taurus. Solid and (fairly) dependable year after year. That being said, the Accord may be a better deal in the long run, but I feel like with Honda you're paying at least partly just for the name and rep. My OL got a new Hyundai Excel last year. Great mileage, and it's around $15 grand brand new. It also comes with a 10 year warranty. The 4 banger is a little underpowered for my taste, but not all that bad.

BTW, I think this will be my next vehicle:

http://www.aptera.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfv7wMXarig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Popular Mechanics test drive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Ke1VWh ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote: The question is, is a 2 year old accord 5 thousand dollars better than a 2 year old taurus?
No.
So I am leaning towards the ford or possibly a similar GM/Chrysler type rig.
If I were in the market for a 2 year old car, I'd be looking for a Chevy Malibu with around 30k miles on it (read: program car) so it still has some factory warranty left.

I've never owned a foreign car, and I never will.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

War Wagon wrote:
smackaholic wrote: The question is, is a 2 year old accord 5 thousand dollars better than a 2 year old taurus?
No.
Disagree completely. I own a 2 y/o Accord V-6 with leather (damn kids), sunroof, etc, and it's one of the best cars I've ever owned. So far the only thing I've needed to do to it is get new tires and change the oil. The thing just goes and goes and it's my commuter car, so it's got about 48,000 miles on it in 2 years. Excellent, excellent vehicle.

With foreign made sedans, you aren't paying for just the name, you're paying extra bones because they run for a lot longer than their domestic counterparts (with a few scattered exceptions, I'm sure) Additionally, you can really notice the difference in the overall quality of craftsmanship and durability of functional components like power windows, seats, etc.
So I am leaning towards the ford or possibly a similar GM/Chrysler type rig.
I've never owned a foreign car, and I never will.
Then you're even more of an idiot than I took you for.

I buy my big trucks American and my sedans/commuter cars foreign. The US knows how to make a big truck better than the Japs simply because they've been doing it longer. My '04 Silverado kicks ass over any Jap truck that I've seen and it's not close. Solid, solid vehicle. On the same token, every Taurus/Malibu and the like doesn't come close to the features and performance of my Accord.
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

OCmike wrote: Then you're even more of an idiot than I took you for.
For refusing to own a foreign car? :roll:

On the same token, every Taurus/Malibu and the like doesn't come close to the features and performance of my Accord.
How would you know?

Tell ya' what slappy, I hope you can eat that foreign car when you lose your job. Both Ford and GM have assembly plants here in KC, and they both make damn fine vehicles. The employees of those plants are my friends and neighbors. I couldn't look them in the eye if I owned some Jap car. And save the "but Japanese cars are made in the U.S. too" horseshit because I don't give a fuck. The profits don't stay here.

To each their own, I guess, but I don't know how traitorous pussies like you can look in the mirror. Feel free to go fuck yourself.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Everybody owns foreign products. What is it about cars that makes some of you squirm in your panties?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Tell me, Whitey, that TV where you watch American Idol, The Batchelor, etc., where was that made?

Edit for: Fuck the cock-blocking Mgo.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

Better keep that thing in the right lane of traffic. Passing semi would blow it off the road.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Whitey, that Aptera looks quite similar to a forklift, don't it?

:lol:

Question for Mikey: Why do you hate performance?
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Everybody owns foreign products. What is it about cars that makes some of you squirm in your panties?
In some instances you have no choice. With automobiles, there is a choice, and I choose to buy American.

And while a TV may be a rather expensive item, it doesn't compare to a vehicle.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Nothing wrong with a Honda Accord. It's a great chick car.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

socal wrote:Whitey, that Aptera looks quite similar to a forklift, don't it?

:lol:

Question for Mikey: Why do you hate performance?
That thing looks like fun, but there are two problems: I don't speak Japanese and I prefer left-hand drive.

OK four problems. The projected price tag ($~250,000) is 10 X what an Aptera will cost and the fact that they are not in production.

Aptera is supposed to be actually selling their rigs by the end of this year. For $500 you can reserve one...the waiting list is over 1000 now.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

War Wagon wrote:
OCmike wrote: Then you're even more of an idiot than I took you for.
For refusing to own a foreign car? :roll:
No, for refusing to buy a superior product out of some misguided idea that you're doing so out of principle. Or, in a word, it's retarded.

On the same token, every Taurus/Malibu and the like doesn't come close to the features and performance of my Accord.
How would you know?
I know because my younger sister has a newer Taurus that I've ridden in several times and I drove a Chevy Malibu as a rental while on vacation in 2006. It was a nice enough car, but didn't come close to the Accord in handling, driveability, quality and features.
Tell ya' what slappy, I hope you can eat that foreign car when you lose your job.

Uh, I work in Healthcare IT, so unless people are going to suddenly stop getting sick (which is especially unlikely considering all of the holsteins clopping around KC with their cloven hooves), I'll never be out of a job.
Both Ford and GM have assembly plants here in KC, and they both make damn fine vehicles. The employees of those plants are my friends and neighbors. I couldn't look them in the eye if I owned some Jap car.
...then you have serious self-esteem issues. It's all about spending your hard-earned $$ on the best quality products available. Spending tens of thousands of dollars on an inferior product is very midwest of you.
To each their own, I guess, but I don't know how traitorous pussies like you can look in the mirror. Feel free to go fuck yourself.
Again, I own a fully-loaded 4X4 Silverado, because GM makes a superior truck to anything the Japs put out and IMO it's not close. I chose to buy that product because I think it's the best available for my $$.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

trev wrote:Nothing wrong with a Honda Accord. It's a great chick car.
You take that back! :D

The Civic is a great chick car. The Accord is a sedan.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

OCmike wrote:
trev wrote:Nothing wrong with a Honda Accord. It's a great chick car.
You take that back! :D

The Civic is a great chick car. The Accord is a sedan.
I think what she meant is that, driving that car, you should be a real chick magnet.

Chicks dig a guy driving an Accord. Especially middle age bald guys driving an Accord.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I think he might have been refering to UAW profits. Buy a ford or chevy and you have them. Buy a built in america accord or camry and the UAW gets j a c k shit.

I used to live in Smyrna, Tn about 3 miles away from the Nissan plant. Every one I knew that worked there talked about the UAW's never ending battle to get in there. They weren't having much luck with those rednecks who saw absolutely no reason to start paying dues and put up with union shop BS.

Fukkin wise ass word filters. :lol:
Last edited by smackaholic on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

War Wagon wrote:In some instances you have no choice.
There's always an American-made choice. But you choose to buy foreign, because the product is superior.

Hmmm, where does that philosophy sound familiar from?

Hypocrite, much?

Oh, but I forgot...since an automobile is more expensive, there's a huge shift in "principle" ... that is fucking silly.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

War Wagon wrote:Tell ya' what slappy, I hope you can eat that foreign car when you lose your job. Both Ford and GM have assembly plants here in KC, and they both make damn fine vehicles. The employees of those plants are my friends and neighbors. I couldn't look them in the eye if I owned some Jap car. And save the "but Japanese cars are made in the U.S. too" horseshit because I don't give a fuck. The profits don't stay here.

Wags GETS IT....the majority of the rest of you DON'T. PERIOD.

P.S.- Smackaholic, check out the brand new Chevy Malibus:

ALL the reviews on this car say it's nothing short of PHENOMENAL in every way. I've driven the top-of-the-line 08 Malibu, and I agree with the reviews. It's a great car for the money.
T1B- THE place to be for fun, informative sports talk....or NOT:
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

RevLimiter wrote:
War Wagon wrote:Tell ya' what slappy, I hope you can eat that foreign car when you lose your job. Both Ford and GM have assembly plants here in KC, and they both make damn fine vehicles. The employees of those plants are my friends and neighbors. I couldn't look them in the eye if I owned some Jap car. And save the "but Japanese cars are made in the U.S. too" horseshit because I don't give a fuck. The profits don't stay here.

ALL the reviews on this car say it's nothing short of PHENOMENAL in every way. I've driven the top-of-the-line 08 Malibu, and I agree with the reviews. It's a great car for the money.
Is it 8 or 9 K? Because that is what smacka is spending dumbfuck. He wants a reliable used car.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

If it's for a teenage girl, you don't need to give a fuck about reliability because it's going to get crunched every few weeks anyway; what you want is CHEAP- something you can buy by the 6-pack
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

trev wrote:
RevLimiter wrote:

Is it 8 or 9 K? Because that is what smacka is spending dumbfuck. He wants a reliable used car.
You don’t really expect that FAT fucking RETARD to be able to follow along with a simple conversation, do you? He’s too preoccupied drawing stars and stripes on his Ho-Ho’s.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

88 wrote:
Mikey wrote:BTW, I think this will be my next vehicle:

I would feel better if I knew you were driving one of those.
Seriously pondering it. It has a lot of advanced safety features, including air bags, roll cage, and the front end is designed to crumple under the cockpit. The interior is actually very roomy (for 2 passengers) and the gas hybrid model is estimated to get up to 240 mpg, I believe. The pure electric version will go 120 miles on a charge.

Edit: Oh, and you can fold Rosie up and take her along in the back seat.

OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

KCPaul wrote:I've driven the top-of-the-line 08 Malibu, and I agree with the reviews. It's a great car for the money.
I'm calling bullshit. There's no way you can corner in a Malibu with the steering wheel embedded in your gunt. Besides, what's the max payload on that sucker? Call it a hunch, but I'm guessing with you and Ma in there at the same time, your exhaust system will be throwing sparks as you drag your ride down the road.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

OCmike wrote:
KCPaul wrote:I've driven the top-of-the-line 08 Malibu, and I agree with the reviews. It's a great car for the money.
I'm calling bullshit. There's no way you can corner in a Malibu with the steering wheel embedded in your gunt. Besides, what's the max payload on that sucker? Call it a hunch, but I'm guessing with you and Ma in there at the same time, your exhaust system will be throwing sparks as you drag your ride down the road.
I think there's a 1 ton dually available.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Cuda wrote:If it's for a teenage girl, you don't need to give a fuck about reliability because it's going to get crunched every few weeks anyway; what you want is CHEAP- something you can buy by the 6-pack
Sad, but true.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Goober McTuber wrote:He’s too preoccupied drawing stars and stripes on his Ho-Ho’s.

Paul doesn't like Ho-Ho's; he likes Ding-Dongs.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

that new malibu is a sweet ride, but, as has already been pointed out, I can't just write a check for it, unless I wanna do a home equity thingy, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna do that.

One other thing. New car reviews are nice and all, but, they don't mean shit. I wanna know how they stand up at 10 years old with 180K on them. So far, the domestic brands haven't been all that, in this regard. I did have one exception, my '89 taurus wagon. That fukking car was indestructible. The tranny sounded like it was gonna let go, but, it didn't, for over 100K that I owned it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote: One other thing. New car reviews are nice and all, but, they don't mean shit. I wanna know how they stand up at 10 years old with 180K on them. So far, the domestic brands haven't been all that, in this regard.
I drive a 2000 Lumina that I bought in 2001 that now has 165k on it. It had like 28k when i got it. Never a mechanical breakdown, just routine maintenance. Most reliable, trouble free car I've ever owned. Been paid off for 3 years now. I'll drive that car until the wheels fall off.

When they do fall off, I believe the Malibu replaced the Lumina in Chevy's stable, so I'd expect much the same result.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

mvscal wrote:Like he gives that much of a shit about what gets hoovered into his cavernous maw.

I'm sure you're careful to keep your fingers away from Rumplewife's stump grinder when she's gorging, so you should be able to relate.
I'm better off losing a digit than what one of your poor victims goes through when your cockbucket is oozing with their blood and jizz.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

88 wrote:Mikey-

I cannot see that contraption being reliable in any environment where there is ice/snow/sleet/hail/rain/ etc. (i.e., Cleveland). Road salt issues aside, there are many instances when you simply have to drive through 8-10 inches of compacted snow (after a snow plow buries the apron of your driveway or when you leave the office after a particularly shitty weather event). If I lived in Hawaii or certain parts of Florida or California, I'd be tempted to cruise around in a glorified golf cart too.

There were significant tax incentives for the purchase of all electric vehicles a year or so ago. I cannot remember if the tax breaks were permitted to sunset or not. If you get to write that puppy off, you might only have to pay 60% of it, while the wealthiest 1% pick up the rest if the tab for you.
Fortunately I don't have to worry about too many weather issues here in LoCal, though I have a feeling it might actually do OK in snow because it's so light. Road salt shouldn't be too much of a problem either as the body is made of carbon composite and the frame is aluminum. They've been using three wheeled vehicles in Europe for a long time without too much problem and they have all the same weather issues. This thing is actually classified as a motorcycle, prolly due to the number of wheels and weight. The wide spacing of the front wheels supposedly give it a good deal of stability.

If I did get one it would be for commuting (~20 miles each way) and around town. I won't give up my F250 Crew Cab.
RevLimiter
Count Chunkula

Post by RevLimiter »

mvscal wrote:Are you trying to run smack?
Looks to me like he ran smack all over your greeel. Not that you deserved it or anything.
T1B- THE place to be for fun, informative sports talk....or NOT:
Wet-Brained Fucktard wrote:I know we here like to talk shit and we do tend to get, how you say, immature at times. At some points, the banter on a board like this can be somewhat childish. It happens.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Jesus Christ.

This horrid shit thread is obvious proof that my absence from this place was time well spent.

Calling the lot of you tedious fucking douchedrips is an insult to the words themselves. This board should be lynched in a back alley.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Raydah James wrote:This board should be lynched in a back alley.

So you work for the Golf Channel. Big fucking deal.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Raydah James wrote: This board should be lynched in a back alley.
Fuckin RACK!

How 'bout them Chargers?
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Cuda wrote: How 'bout them Chargers?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

smackaholic wrote:I think he might have been refering to UAW profits. Buy a ford or chevy and you have them. Buy a built in america accord or camry and the UAW gets j a c k shit.

I used to live in Smyrna, Tn about 3 miles away from the Nissan plant. Every one I knew that worked there talked about the UAW's never ending battle to get in there. They weren't having much luck with those rednecks who saw absolutely no reason to start paying dues and put up with union shop BS.
Spot on.

We've done this discussion before - Paul and Wags haven't really gotten a grip on that whole globalization thing. Or the competition thing. Or the having a magnetic flag on your door doesn't make you more patriotic thing.

GM & F are both have production in Mexico and other 3rd world spots, but they're "American" companies, right? Their shares are owned by by Banks in China, Russia and Saudi Arabia, but they're American, right?

They pay the uneducated $50 an hour for screwing on Lug nuts, and those dedicated Lug nutters so appreciate this they're willing to strike and/or send the company to bankruptcy rather than give up cash and benefits they so richly deserve? Yea - That just screams "Red, White and Blue" to me.

It's time to educate yourselves.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Uh oh, Scott. You better prepare yourself for the dreaded "It's UNAMERICAN...BECAUSE I SAID SO!" retort from Whitey and Paul.

Enlightenment is on its way.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

KC Scott wrote: GM & F are both have production in Mexico and other 3rd world spots, but they're "American" companies, right? Their shares are owned by by Banks in China, Russia and Saudi Arabia, but they're American, right?
American as baseball, hot dogs, and apple pie. Got a link to prove that banks in Russia own shares in GM, or am I just supposed to take your word for it?
They pay the uneducated $50 an hour...
Exaggerate much?

...they're willing to strike and/or send the company to bankruptcy rather than give up cash and benefits....
Who's on strike? And last I checked, the UAW had made major concessions on benefits and wages.

But regardless of that, Union shops by their very existance help non-union workers earn better wages, benefits and working conditions as well. Or don't you realize that?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mace wrote: My personal vehicles are also Fords, and my F-150 would kick ass on OCmike's Siverado and, just because I'm such a good guy, I'll volunteer to hook on a tow rope to Mike's rig the next time he gets it stuck in a mud puddle. ;)

Mace
Bwa at the Chevy vs. Ford smack. Now that I can live with.

And Mace, that F-150 was most likely assembled at the Claycomo plant that I drive by everyday on my way to and from work.

I'm not a Ford guy, never have been, but I'm goddamn proud that plant is still cranking out American made vehicles after 40 plus years.