tigers pay their fifth starter $7 mil per

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Screw_Michigan

tigers pay their fifth starter $7 mil per

Post by Screw_Michigan »

4.7 era gets you $7 per. impressive. i guess the tiggers will be signing mike maroth as a long reliever/emergency starter at $5 mil a season for when robertson's era hits 4.5 midway through the season.

they still need to trade zumaya as soon as he gets back in peak form before he gets re-exposed as nothing but a fastball tossing tard. it's all downhill for him from here.
Nate Robertson and Detroit Tigers agree to $21.25M, 3-year deal
Eds: AMs.
By LARRY LAGE
AP Sports Writer
DETROIT (AP) — Nate Robertson pitched for the Detroit Tigers when they were bad, losing an AL-record 119 games five years ago.
After Robertson helped the Tigers climb toward being contenders, they decided to keep him around for what seems to be a bright future.
The left-handed starter and Detroit avoided salary arbitration when they agreed Wednesday to a $21.25 million, three-year contract. He would have been eligible for free agency after the 2009 season.
“It’s exciting to see what kind of team we have in place here, understanding where we’ve come from,” Robertson said. “I think we have three guys left from the ’03, so there aren’t too many faces still around, but I’m glad I’m one of them.”
Robertson was 9-13 with a 4.76 ERA in 30 starts with Detroit last season, his fourth straight with a least 30 starts and a sub-5.00 ERA for the franchise.
“Nate has been a quality starter during his time with the Tigers,” Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said. “We are excited to sign Nate to a long-term contract, and we look forward to him being part of our rotation for years to come.”
Robertson gets $4.25 million this year, $7 million in 2009 and $10 million in 2010. His salary in the final season would increase to $11 million if he pitches 200 innings in 2009 or 400 innings combined in 2008 and 2009.
“It still hasn’t hit me,” Robertson said. “You’re talking about a Kansas boy, who went out and cut fire wood. Now, I’m playing baseball with a contract that sets my family up.”
Robertson and his wife, who live in the Detroit area during the offseason, are expecting their first child soon.
“The timing has been perfect,” he said.
Robertson made his major league debut with the Florida Marlins in 2002, then was dealt to Detroit in a five-player deal in January 2003. He lost one game in his only decision for the Marlins and is 42-54 with a 4.53 ERA with the Tigers.
His best season statistically was in 2006, when he was 13-13 with a 3.84 and helped Detroit reach the playoffs for the first time since 1987. He won a game in the American League championship series, playing a key role as the Tigers played for a title for the first time since 1984.
Robertson will pitch in a strong rotation that also includes Justin Verlander, Dontrelle Willis, Kenny Rogers and Jeremy Bonderman.
The Tigers have had a busy offseason, trading for All-Stars Miguel Cabrera, Willis and Edgar Renteria and acquiring Jacque Jones in another trade. They also re-signed Rogers and Todd Jones and exercised the option on catcher Ivan Rodriguez’s contract.
“We’re excited to be here and be part of the best team that I probably will ever be part of,” Robertson said.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: tigers pay their fifth starter $7 mil per

Post by Shoalzie »

Bag on Robertson for making $7 million but how about Contreras and his 10-17 record and 5.57 ERA cost the Sox $9 million last year...just saying.

The $7 million for Robertson seems a bit much. They recently locked up Willis for 3 years/$29 million. It seems pretty warped when Bonderman made $4.5 million last year and Verlander...still on his first pro contract...made just over $1 million. Rogers signed for $8 or $9 million for this season if I'm not mistaken.

Some of the guys on the Tigers seem overpaid but when you consider the runner-up in the AL MVP voting made less than half of what the winner of the award made (Ordonez $13.2 million / Rodriguez $27.7 million)...I'd look at that as a bargain in their favor. He's the highest paid Tiger but would be 6th on the Yankees payroll and 4th on the Red Sox.

Within two years, you're going to see Pudge, Sheffield, Jones and Rogers all off the books, which will free up $40 million or so when they have to give guys like Granderson and Verlander big raises and long term deals. Verlander seems like a bargain at $1 million but how about getting those crazy numbers out of Granderson last season for a cool $410K. Also, Cabrera is going to command a big contract...I think he's going to be making the tendered amount this year of $10 or $11 million but eventually he'll be the highest paid Tiger. I'm sure he'll be making between $15-20 million in the future.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shoalzie wrote:Bag on Robertson for making $7 million but how about Contreras and his 10-17 record and 5.57 ERA cost the Sox $9 million last year...just saying.
last time i checked, contrares was offered $9 mil after winning the 05 world series and being the most dominant pitcher in baseball for a season spanning from late 05 into early 06, and i'm pretty positive his era wasn't anything close to CTRL-KFC Paul's bloated wasteline like robertson. robertson hasn't even proven he's a reliable fifth starter and dumbrowski thinks he's worth $7 mil? definitely a little extravagent for a pitcher who you only hope to eat up innings.

by and large, yeah, i'm just getting my punches in before what seems to be an otherwise dreary season gets going.

:paul:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

With that Contreras crack...I'm just saying, it's all about getting return for your investment and he sure stunk up the place last season. Yes, you did get a World Series and a great year out of Contreras in '05. Don't know how much he's got left in the tank though if last year was a sign of things to come.

Your lineup should be more potent with a healthy Crede along with the additions of Cabrera and Swisher. You should be able to score plenty of runs with that batting order. You have a legit 1-2 in Vazquez and Buehrle. The rest of the starters are a question mark with Contreras, Danks and Floyd (maybe?) rounding out the 5-man rotation. I do like your bullpen anchored by Mr. Automatic, Bobby Jenks. You add another veteran setup man with Linebrink. You have lots of power arms coming out of the 'pen in the late innings with the big man at the end.

It should be interesting division with Indians bringing back pretty much the same team, the Tigers beefed up the batting order and added Willis, and the Sox improved their lineup and the addition of Cabrera at short is one of the best pickups of the offseason. You never know with Twins with the Santana situation and the return of Liriano. You can't forget the Royals either and that exciting young lineup either. The pitching staff is pretty thin and is going to have their hands full with the offenses that will be thrown at them in this division. To face the Indians, Tigers and White Sox batting order a combined 50+ games...that might not be pretty.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shoalzie wrote:With that Contreras crack...I'm just saying, it's all about getting return for your investment and he sure stunk up the place last season. Yes, you did get a World Series and a great year out of Contreras in '05. Don't know how much he's got left in the tank though if last year was a sign of things to come.

Your lineup should be more potent with a healthy Crede along with the additions of Cabrera and Swisher. You should be able to score plenty of runs with that batting order. You have a legit 1-2 in Vazquez and Buehrle. The rest of the starters are a question mark with Contreras, Danks and Floyd (maybe?) rounding out the 5-man rotation. I do like your bullpen anchored by Mr. Automatic, Bobby Jenks. You add another veteran setup man with Linebrink. You have lots of power arms coming out of the 'pen in the late innings with the big man at the end.

It should be interesting division with Indians bringing back pretty much the same team, the Tigers beefed up the batting order and added Willis, and the Sox improved their lineup and the addition of Cabrera at short is one of the best pickups of the offseason. You never know with Twins with the Santana situation and the return of Liriano. You can't forget the Royals either and that exciting young lineup either. The pitching staff is pretty thin and is going to have their hands full with the offenses that will be thrown at them in this division. To face the Indians, Tigers and White Sox batting order a combined 50+ games...that might not be pretty.
You're right on the money with Contrares. He's back to his old Yankee form. Unless he gets hot again, it's unlikely he'll ever live up to that ridiculous contract.

And you're absolutely right about Crede. I've been saying it for years, while Josh Fields is going to be a stud, a healthy Crede is the most valuable asset to the team. The last few years he's obviously been banged up and, especially last season, his steady bat and glove and clutch hitting was desperately needed. He was the catalyst of the 05 World Series run and he was just as valuable as Rowand when it comes to intangibles. Kenny will end up foolishly trading him to make room for Fields and Crede will be a stud for another team, hopefully not another AL contender. Don't forget, the lineup last year was built to score a lot of runs and they came up with diddly squat, I believe Crede's absence had much to do with that.

I also like the bullpen, but anything has to be better than last season's effort. I also like the addition of Swisher to the lineup, another Rowand-type player who will provide gritty play and leadership.

I, too, am looking forward to another exciting year for the AL Central. Hey, the Sox will take Inge off your hands for a bag of Red Man (or a carton of Pall Mall's for Leyland), I'd love to have him on my team.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Inge might not be a goner for sure...he was asked to report with pitchers and catchers by management. No word on if he'll accept the invite and move back to catcher. Initially, it sounded like they had a deal to send him to Pittsburgh. He's looking for a place to be able to start at third on a regular basis. He already was displaced as the starting catcher before with the arrival of Pudge and now he's pushed out of third base because of Cabrera and there really isn't another spot in the lineup to put him. Chicago certainly wouldn't work with Crede there and Fields probably moving to the outfield full time to keep his bat in the lineup. It sounds like nothing will be done with Inge until spring training at the earliest.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Tigs getting started on locking up Cabrera.....

Cabrera signs for 1 year, Tigers still hope for more
by Danny Knobler
Friday January 18, 2008, 2:37 PM
DETROIT -- Miguel Cabrera signed today. But only for one year.

Cabrera avoided arbitration with an $11.3 million deal, but the Tigers are still hoping to do a multi-year deal with him before opening day. The one-year deal was simply a way of putting off a deadline, because today was the day for teams to exchange salary numbers with unsigned arbitration-eligible players.

John Westhoff, the vice president who negotiates contracts for the Tigers, said it was the preference of Cabrera's agents to get a one-year deal done first, and worry about a multi-year contract later.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

another smart move by dombrowski. not only is he a WMU grad (compare him to scU-M grad and MLB flunk out Steve Phillips, oops, did i just say that?), but he was also director of scouting (or something to that effect) for the pale hose before pole puffer hawk harrelson fired him during his disastrous one-year stint as white sox gm.

FUCK YOU, HAWK.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

$11.3 million for a year with Cabrera is a major bargain considering his future earning power. He puts up numbers close to Magglio's from last year...he'll be able to command $15-17 million easy. Hopefully he doesn't look for anything in excess of $20 million although he's one of the few players in the league that could command that much. Matt Holliday signed a two year deal for $23 million today...that's another major bargain as well. To have an MVP-caliber player making only $11.5 million per season is a steal. He'll be cashing in when his next deal comes up.

I mentioned before how cheap Granderson and Verlander are right now...you gotta believe those two will be making substantially more when their deals are up. Considering Dombrowski likes to sign extensions well ahead of time...I wouldn't be shocked if either of those guys get new deals this year or before next year. Granderson is a $8-10 million player if he has another season like he had last year and Verlander wins another 17 or 18 games and he'll command Sabathia/Beckett/Halladay money. Halladay made $12.75 million last year...Verlander will probably be in the $9-12 million range.