Stuck in 16 color

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Captain Haddock
Elwood

Stuck in 16 color

Post by Captain Haddock »

I don't know what is up with my monitor. I just can't get out of 16 color mode. Very annoying.

I have a fairly cheap monitor, but I had normal settings, and colors...up until the other day. I have no idea how to get back the previous settings, and my monitor is not on windows properties list...when I right click on my desktop.

Lame question...but does anyone know what the fuck I can do?
Lily-livered bandicoots!
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Re-install (or update) video drivers.

Wouldn't hurt.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

what version windows? The older versions, like 98, can have this problem. XP usually does not.

I ran into this with a 98 machine. I tried every driver there was for that monitor, no luck. I upgraded to 2000, and it worked fine.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
David_Copperfield
The Wizard

Post by David_Copperfield »

worst case scenario: your video card is shot...you can buy a new one for around $50 (for a basic card) and install it in about as much time as it takes to remove the case from your computer...problem solved.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Sounds mainly like a video card setting. Under your settings, make sure that you have the ability to set 24 or 32 bit colors and you can change the resolution to something other then 640 by 460. If you can't then you may need to re-install your video card drivers.
As far as the monitor goes, if it could display SVGA and 24 bit colors then it should be able to do it now. Make sure that you have the default svga monitor selected. You don't actually need to have your monitor's driver's installed because most of them don't do anything beyond the default stuff anyway.

My initial guess would be that your video card driver may have been corrupted and you just need to re-install it. Also make sure you aren't in safe mode, which should be fairly obvious because it will say 'safe mode' in all 4 corners of the screen. Safe mode forces you to use the default vga only driver that works on every video card.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

ET,

I had this very problem with an old box. I reinstalled win98 2nd edition, and bought a brand new video card. It didn't work. I reinstalled the drivers. No go. I went to the website and downloaded updates. nada. I completely reformatted and tried again. No go, moto.

I upgrade to win 2000 and everything worked seamlessly first time.

I'm not sure if he's using win 98, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.