My eyes! My eyes!!!

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

My eyes! My eyes!!!

Post by OCmike »

Anyone had or know someone who has had Lasik?

The OL has brutal vision and is sick of contacts and reading glasses, so she wants to have it done.

Any positive and/or horror stories welcome. Serious replies only please. :D
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: My eyes! My eyes!!!

Post by BSmack »

OCmike wrote:Anyone had or know someone who has had Lasik?

The OL has brutal vision and is sick of contacts and reading glasses, so she wants to have it done.
If you mix in some rogaine and plastic surgery I'm sure it will be a success.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

I know a handfull of people that have had it done. Mostly with success. One girl's slightly screwed up so she didn't end up with perfect vision. Gave her a tiny wrinkle in one cornea or something.

I worked with a guy who had a great horror story though. He had it done and they fucked up royally. Didn't blind him or anything, but screwed up on one eye and he's still in glasses. I'm not sure if its correctable or not. The guy had the worst luck, overall in life, and to hear him tell the story was always worth a laugh.

He goes into the room have him secured down and prepped. The doctor comes in and begins performing the proceedure then partway through the doctor says, "oh crap", stops and without another word leaves the room. The doctor doesn't come back and nobody else comes in, just leaving him there for a half hour.

Needless to say it scared the shit out of him. He was actually involved in some kind of suit against them at the time I was working with him. This was like 5 or 6 years ago though, I've heard its gotten a lot better recently.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

My sister had it years ago, and has pretty much been on my case about it since then. Claims the difference is quite dramatic, and results come about overnight.

I guess I'll get it someday -- I've been wearing contacts WAY too many hours a day since I was 16, and my eyes long ago started growing the extra blood vessels associated with excess contact-wearing... and having my eyes constantly a shade of red is a pretty sweet bonus. The eye doc (who's quite the middle-aged hottie-btw) keeps threatening to cut off my contact presciption one of these years. When that day comes, off to Lasik I go, if not sooner.

I'll tell you what, all smack, boasting and general Dinsdalism aside -- I'm a pretty tough guy. I inhereted the family gene of an extremely high threshold of pain, along with little inherent ability to feel acute fear, and almost no ability to panic. If warranted, I'll fight a guy twice my size. I'll walk into that house where an intruder is suspected. I'll work 200 feet off the ground. No problem...

That said -- If you strap me in a damn chair and threaten to cut my eyes to shreds with a laser beam, it's a pretty safe bet I'm going to start crying for my freaking mommy and pee my pants.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

BSmack wrote:

If you mix in some rogaine and plastic surgery I'm sure it will be a success.
Plastic surgery? There's nothing I could really do to improve my looks. Not being pompous (my picture has made the rounds), just that I don't have Mitch Albom's ears, Jay Leno's chin, etc. Pretty much my only "flaw" is that I have a big dome. Last I checked they weren't doing head reductions. :D I am currently in the process of a gut reduction though. Lost 15 lbs and have about another 15 to go before I'll be right dead sexy again.

Oh, and the Lasik really is for the OL. I was blessed with 20/20 vision. She was cursed with a hot mess for eyes. In fact, if it weren't for those new convex acrylic lenses, she'd be sporting some brutal Lou Holtz coke bottles.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

She sould start by discussing it with her own eye Doc and asking who he/she would go to. Talk to people who have had it done and are happy with the outcome.

Avoid the embarrassment Dinsindrome and ask for a valium if you have anxiety.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

OCmike wrote:
BSmack wrote:If you mix in some rogaine and plastic surgery I'm sure it will be a success.
Plastic surgery? There's nothing I could really do to improve my looks. Not being pompous (my picture has made the rounds), just that I don't have Mitch Albom's ears, Jay Leno's chin, etc. Pretty much my only "flaw" is that I have a big dome. Last I checked they weren't doing head reductions. :D I am currently in the process of a gut reduction though. Lost 15 lbs and have about another 15 to go before I'll be right dead sexy again.

Oh, and the Lasik really is for the OL. I was blessed with 20/20 vision. She was cursed with a hot mess for eyes. In fact, if it weren't for those new convex acrylic lenses, she'd be sporting some brutal Lou Holtz coke bottles.
I was quite aware that your OL was in line for the Lasik.

"Dead sexy"?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

BSmack wrote:
"Dead sexy"?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I may have a nerdy profession, but that's never hindered my ability to pull some quality tail. War the OCschmooveness.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

OCmike wrote:Oh, and the Lasik really is for the OL. I was blessed with 20/20 vision. She was cursed with a hot mess for eyes.
That might explain how you landed her. The Lasik might be a bad idea. Once she gets a good look at you, she'll probably bolt.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:bolt

Uhm... that's about to become a real touchy word for OCDMike.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Goober McTuber wrote:
OCmike wrote:Oh, and the Lasik really is for the OL. I was blessed with 20/20 vision. She was cursed with a hot mess for eyes.
That might explain how you landed her. The Lasik might be a bad idea. Once she gets a good look at you, she'll probably bolt.

You served it up and Goober slammed it home!!

OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Goober McTuber wrote:
:lol:

I did "meet" her over e-mail at work in CA, so I got a chance to win her over with my stellar personality for about six months before she got a chance to get a look at me. :D

She worked at a different office about 100 miles away. One of the IT guys that I knew said, "Dude, you don't want to be flirting with anyone in that office. When I was up there I saw 8 chicks. 7 were fugly 300lb pigs and the other one had one of those 4-pack-per-day leatherfaces." Nooooooo... I guess the OL was out that day, thank god. She was the only gazelle surrounded by a gaggle of hippos.

I ended up working out of that office about two years later and found out that one of the chicks that I'd been talking to on the phone for years, who had an incredibly sexy voice was a full on office beast. Talk about shattering an image...
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Dinsdale wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:bolt

Uhm... that's about to become a real touchy word for OCDMike.
OCDmike? Why would you say th....BRB, gotta go hit the hand sanitizer.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

OCmike wrote:She was the only gazelle surrounded by a gaggle of hippos.
Goobs, PSU, and R-Jack,

I ask kindly that you stay away from this post.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

OCmike wrote: OCDmike? Why would you say th....BRB, gotta go hit the hand sanitizer.

My bad. I confused you with that other Mike who slurps your schlong.

THAT Mike just went yard on his own anus in another forum.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

RumpleForeskin wrote:
OCmike wrote:She was the only gazelle surrounded by a gaggle of hippos.
Goobs, PSU, and R-Jack,

I ask kindly that you stay away from this post.

Sorry, Rump, but I gotta step in here. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence knows that it’s not a gaggle of Hippopotamuses, it’s a bloat.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

I recommend my lazyeyesik doctor highly. Dr. Twitch has helped me to see in ways I never could before.

sin,

AJ
Irrelevant

Post by AJ »

I had lasik done about an year and half ago. Best money I ever spent. My vision is perfect, my eyes aren't perpetually bloodshot anymore, and I don't have to deal with wearing lenses.

I highly recommend it.
another satisfied Hardcrow customer
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Any positive and/or horror stories welcome. Serious replies only please. :D
Best money I've ever spent.

Seriously.

The worst part is the first 48 hours and religiously putting the drops in on time...

The only downside of it in my case is when I get severely tired, one eye becomes extremely red, moreso than it used to when I wore contact lens.
But that's the only downside to it in my case..
No night halos which some people experience...
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

I'd probably be an excellent candidate for lasik surgery ('sup, bifocals at age 41 :oops: ). Unfortunately, the one thing that scares me more than lasers touching my eyes is a $10,000 sticker price for something my HMO considers "elective surgery." That, and the fact that it's not a permanent fix.

Having said all of that, if and when my HMO ever decides to cover it, I'll probably be one of the next in line for it.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

http://www.lahayesight.com/images/video ... eminar.mov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

Mike,

About Lasic...it can be very good. I was extremely nearsighted, to the point wearing the last 'over the counter' contact lens before having to order custom. I had Lasic about 8 years ago, and had 20/20 vision the next day. A little cloudy vision on the first evening because of the whole recovery thing, but I was driving and reading road signs the next day and my vision stayed as good for about 5 years. Now I'm at about 20/40 in one eye, and 20/30 in the other, so I've been wearing a pair of glasses with that weak prescription just for driving. It's still awesome to be able to go without glasses most of the time. Sometimes people ask why I'm so sold on it if I still need glasses, but those are people that never went from 20/500 to 20/20...at that point 20/40 or 30 is still pretty awesome vision.

The procedure is not bad. It doesn't hurt and despite the rumors, you really do not smell smoking cornea! They gave me some sort of relaxing pill beforehand, and it's kind of annoying to have your eyes propped open but it goes really fast. Seriously, wearing the safety glasses the first night so you don't rub your eyes is worse than the actual procedure. I watched a basketball game on tv the evening of the day I had it done, and even with the little cloudiness could see the score and follow it well from across the room.

I would just recommend you check out the place where your wife would have it done. Seems like the business has boomed, and there is a Lasic person on every radio station and on every corner, so make sure where you go they are not doing shortcuts. Take notice of the prep. I went in for cornea mapping ahead of time and they showed me the cornea thickness and explained what made it ok to blow some of it away for vision correction. You can get totally geeked out on the technology if having bits of cornea vaporized doesn't gross you out too badly.

So, find a good reputable place and go for it!
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Ang, it sounds like my wife has a similar quality of vision to yours, 'cept that she wears glasses instead of contacts.

She really wants to get it done, because she gets almost daily headaches due to eye strain. She has two pairs of glasses: One for computer/desk work and another one for the rest of the time (she didn't want bi-focals). Switching between the two gives her eyes too much of a workout and she's usually got a splitting headache by the time the day is over.

Thanks for the input everyone. I was unaware that it wasn't a permanent fix. I thought once you had it done, you were good to go.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:I'd probably be an excellent candidate for lasik surgery ('sup, bifocals at age 41 :oops: ). Unfortunately, the one thing that scares me more than lasers touching my eyes is a $10,000 sticker price for something my HMO considers "elective surgery." That, and the fact that it's not a permanent fix.

Having said all of that, if and when my HMO ever decides to cover it, I'll probably be one of the next in line for it.
10 grand? You can go to Strong Memorial and get it done for 2k per eye (2,500 per for custom) and they even have installment plans.

http://www.e-newyorklasik.com/Lasik_Roc ... _York.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even so, up to 5k for both eyes is a chunk of change. I was hoping it would come down a little bit more this year and I could use my FSA to cover it. But I decided to wait another year and see if the price comes down. I've had glasses since the 6th grade, so it's not like I'm not used to it or anything.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

BSmack wrote:I was hoping it would come down a little bit more this year and I could use my FSA to cover it.
Wal-Mart is currently offering the procedure at $200 per eye. ;)
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

OCmike wrote:she's usually got a splitting headache by the time the day is over.
Ah yes. The time tested "Not tonight, I have a headache" ploy. Very well executed, too.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Mike,

My wife also had lasik - it's been about 5 years or so now. Cost here in KC was about 5K.
And like everyone else, the change was almost overnight.
No more contacts and no problems whatsoever.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

7 were fugly 300lb pigs
Yep, the Mag 7!

sin,
Atomic Pantaloon
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

Lasik. My wife had it done at the end of January last year. Both eyes, reputable good place. She took a pill to calm her down and passed out on the way home. That wasnt cool. Her sight wasnt 20/20 after the first procedure so she went in to have one eye done again, a "correction" they call it... but they didnt do lasik, they did another procedure called,I think PDK. Little different procedure with a lot more pain. Her eyesight was WORSE after that. She went in a third time in June to have another go at lasik and it made things better but not perfect. Now she wears glasses full time but a weaker prescription then before the lasik.

Some of the highlites of the first half of last year for my wife included;
- Not being able to drive at night from the time she had the procedure till late summer becasue every headlight had a halo or shininng star effect. Thats 7 or 8 months of haveing people drive her at night.
-Horrible headaches she got for months after the procedure.
-Crying herself to sleep for "electing" to have the procedure to make her eyesight worse.
-She couldnt be outdoors because ANY breeze would dry her eyes out.
-She got an eye infection too, fucker wouldnt go away either for a long time.

Im sure there are some other hellish things I forgot. Ill get a "year later" update from her in the morning and post what she had to say.
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Trampis, your wife is an obvious exception to the rule, but good of you to inject a little reality to the topic. Shit happens.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote:Trampis, your wife is an obvious exception to the rule

She didn't point, burst out laughing, and run off in a fit of combined hysterics and horror when he whipped out his schlong?

A rare exception indeed.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Trampis must be taking his wife to some African tribal doctor, who's shoving sharpened twigs into her eyeballs and dancing around her squirming body with a skirt of skeletons.

I know a couple people who've had Lasik done - all seem to be very pleased.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

I had the LASIK done in 1999 (when it was $2600 per eye- it's now something like 1/3 of that price)

With contacts the best correction they could get was 20/30. Day after the procedure, I had 20/25 which improved to 20-20 within a week. Still 20/20 today As good as 20/15 in bright sunlight

For the procedure, they gave me numbing eye drops & offered me valium (which I have a long-standing policy of always accepting no matter what the circumstances) They were having some equipment problems & by the time I got in the chair, the eye-drops weren't totally æffective anymore so on the first eye I could sort of feel the suction from the defice they put on the eye to hold it still & cut the little flap for the laser to zap underneath. On the second eye, I could sort of feel not only the suction, but also sort of feel the flap being cut. Not real pleasant, but not so painful that I was getting ready to bolt. Total time in the chair was like 15 minutes. Total laser time was something like 21 seconds.

I'd do it again if need be, but it hasn't been necessary & probably won't be
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Cuda wrote: Day after the procedure, I had 20/25 which improved to 20-20 within a week. Still 20/20 today As good as 20/15 in bright sunlight
You'd think that would have enabled you to clearly see what a total fuck up you are.

I'd ask for a refund.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

I was able spot you as a dipshit even before the LASIK, Babshice
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

You mean back when you couldn't see shit?

See how wrong you've always been?
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Doesn't take much to get a "I'm Rubber, You're Glue" out of Babshice, does it?
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

Basically my wife is the only person we know of that has had a bad experience and come out worse after the procedure. Before she was damn near blind when she didnt have her contacts in, now without contacts or glasses she can see much better but not good enough. The problem is that on her right eye there is now a ridge and where before her eyesight could be corrected with glasses to 20/20 it cannot be corrected now. She has 20/30 vission with glasses. She still doesnt feel great about driving at night, complains of headlights that have a starbright effect and a general "smear" look to lights in general.

The bottom line is the odds are definatly with you that you will come out better after lasik, though in our case we wish we would have never done it.
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic