Favorite club in your bag

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Favorite club in your bag

Post by BSmack »

Ok, it's a little slow with all the US tours in hibernation, so how about a thread to pimp your favorite club?

For me, I've got to say that my favorite club is a hybrid 4 that I swiped from my wife's bag after seeing 1 too many of those "Perfect Club" commercials. My logic was that since the "Perfect Club" was nothing more than a cut down 5 wood and was almost the exact same loft and length of my wife's hybrid 4, that I should be able to gain the same kind of benefits minus the 100+ dollar hit to the wallet.

And, after a few years of play, I've got to say that it has improved both trajectory and accuracy. Instead of fearing what would have been a 180 yard 4-5 iron shot, I now love that shot. And, as a nice bonus, that 4 hybrid is the perfect tool for laying up out of short to medium length rough. I've even used it to chip out of greenside rough/fringe a few times.

Who knows, I might even go get one of my own so my wife can have her club back.

:wink:
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Favorite club in your bag

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:Instead of fearing what would have been a 180 yard 4-5 iron shot

I suppose I too would fear the laughter and humiliation that busting out a 4I from 180 would bring from anyone not named Ken.

But seriously(not really), I'm still head over heels in love with my Ram BeCu 55*, even though the grooves are just about gone. Pretty cool, since a golf bud said "what, your wedges got ripped off too? Try this one, I used it almost every day for 11 years."

And even without much groove left, that BeCu still gives it as much spin as a brand new steel club(or so I tell myself, so don't confuse me with facts).

One day, another friend hiked for a wayward ball, and I helped him. Except he forgot to bring any clubs(sitting back on the fairway), and things were a little backed up. He says "dude, got a wedge I can use for one shot?" Handed him the BeCu. Fucker put it in his bag and admired his "new club" -- even though he had a brand new Cleveland 55* sitting in his bag.

Great club.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
BSmack wrote:Instead of fearing what would have been a 180 yard 4-5 iron shot
I suppose I too would fear the laughter and humiliation that busting out a 4I from 180 would bring from anyone not named Ken.
Here's my shot selection process for a 180 yarder off the deck.

Into the wind- 4 iron

No wind- 5 iron

Nice tailwind- 6 iron

If it's a headwind over 20 mph, then a choked down 5 or 3 wood might be the play. If it's a tailwind over 20, then I'll choke down on the 6.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm actually not too far off that with my "wimpy" titanium irons.

The big 'ol steel ones were a different story.

On a hot day with the ball flying well, I'd consider a 7, depending on the green and whatnot.

Anymore, not so much.

And if I were to get out this time of year, with a rock-hard wet golf ball, soft ground, and cold dense air saturated with moisture... I'd pull out a 4(don't have a 3 at present), and be happy I got it there, and wouldn't complain one bit if it went long. Heck, during the Wet Season, I've had 4 irons pop the ball up out of the impact crater and come back at me (can't backspin a 4 on dry greens if my life depended on it).

Warm day, dry greens... I'd probably try and hit a 6, depending how the ball was flying.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

by far my favorite club.....

I love the 52 degree Vokey because I can do so many different things with it.......high lob, medium runner, low shot with lots of backspin (the kind that bounce twice then check, which btw seems to be the shot that most double digit handicappers want to know how to hit :meds: ), sand shots, shots off of hardpan, etc.

my second favorite would be my Nickent 3 hybrid.......
get out, get out while there's still time
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I love my Hogan 3+ Hybrid. Its that club or my 5 iron. I hardly get to use my 5-iron, but when I hit it, its always got a nice little draw to it and manages to go about 205 to 210 every time.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

THe favorite in my bag is probably the 9 iron. From 155 and in, I am pretty much money with it. My driver has gotten pretty consistent too so I must say it is a valuable club, but getting 300 yards off the tee doesn't do much good if you can't get that last 100-150 into scoring position. And as you all know, "scoring position" for me means putting and not chipping.

So, going with the Callaway X-20 9 iron with the Riflepoint 7.0 XXS steel shaft.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

I loves me my 7 iron. Nothing special, just a club I trust
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Cueball wrote:my 7 iron. Nothing special, just a club I trust
sincerely
Roy McAvoy
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Cueball wrote:just a club I trust....
.....hmmmmmm.....a baby Seal walks into a Club........

WAAAAwaaaaa.......

MacGregor VIP SW

(oh shoot-->How's about those 3 year old Nickent 3DX Hybrids!!!!!--->i have 3 and INDY has some too!!!!!)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Qbert wrote:How's about those 3 year old Nickent 3DX Hybrids!!!!!

Just put a hybrid in the bag. Have only hit it into the trees in the backyard (except one rocketed through and found the highway... OOOPS!).

Gots me a 24* Nike CPR2. Actually, I got 4 of them. I've probably mentioned a time or two or fifty that I grew up damn-near next door to Nike, and my Nike connections abound. But made a new one, and came into a pile of CPR2 hybrids (I think they are 2005 models, but not sure. I think the CPR3 has been around at least a couple of years).

So we'll see how that works out for me.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:
So we'll see how that works out for me.
well having played a 2 and 3 hybrid (Nickents Q you farging tool) for the last 3 years all I can say is that if they don't help, you're plying them wrong.....

I can hit the two hybrid anywhere from about 215 to 235 and can hit it low or high at will, just depending where I put it in my stance....more toward the left heel and I hit it higher, more toward the middle of my stance and I hit low screamers.....I'll NEVER go back to a 2 or 3 iron again .....

I was seriously considering dropping my 4 iron until this weekend.... 8)
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Qbert wrote:(oh shoot-->How's about those 3 year old Nickent 3DX Hybrids!!!!!--->i have 3 and INDY has some too!!!!!)
I have fallen out of love with them. I do nothing but snap hook them now. I know it ain't the club. Well, maybe. I definitely need a stiffer shaft in them. When I take a slow smooth swing, I can get it to do what I want for the most part. I took my 14* out of the bag and replaced with a 13* 3 wood Cobra Speedsomethingortheother (Black head with yellow writing on bottom). Yeah, it's a much bigger club, but I got it because I sometimes need less distance off the tee. This club works perfect for me also when my driver is on the fritz.

Here's the 3 wood I got. It is probably the second best club in my bag now. Rarely do I mishit it. Got it with the XXS graphite shaft.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote:well having played a 2 and 3 hybrid (Nickents Q you farging tool) for the last 3 years all I can say is that if they don't help, you're plying them wrong.....
So far, so good.

Played a 9-holer, which didn't really have much to offer in terms of using the hybrid a lot, but I still took a few pokes off the teebox, since the place was about empty.

Piece of cake to pound it up the middle. Due to atmospheric conditions, balls weren't flying very far. Air was just a littletoo dense to get full yardage from clubs, and add in wet balls from the damp ground, and distances were sorter -- like they always are around here this time of year. Anyway, the 24* got me a nice high trajectory, and was going about 205 or thereabouts -- that will most likely go up about ten yards once it warms up and dries out a little more. Wasn't quite enough to get home on the lone par 5 that course had, but pretty darn close. I'm thinking if I continue to dig on the hybrid the way my first impression has led me to believe in,I might have to get something a little longer, like maybe a 19*? It would be nice to ditch fairway woods altogether, but I need something I can get 250 off the fairway.

Love the sound the club makes after a flusher. Made my ears ring.

I also came into posession of a few-year-old Callaway EVC 2 driver. I understand why the PGA/USGA put the kibosh to that club -- very hot driver. Very forgiving, too -- I still have plenty of rust from a winter thatwasn't conducive to golf, and I was throwing everything I had at that sucker, and puttin it down the fairway (most of them anyway). Again, distances weren't all that typical due to conditions, but I was getting some long drives by March standards. My buddy took a few hacks with it, and put themall way long down the middle... two thumbs up on the EVC 2 Noncompliant Driver.

Big thumbs up for the Nike CPR2 "iron wood" too.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:I definitely need a stiffer shaft in them. When I take a slow smooth swing, I can get it to do what I want for the most part.

And maybe I'm weird or something, but if it's not the driver, I have no use for graphite shafts in anything. Just one more variable to screw up the accuacy.

Put a True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 in all of my clubs except he driver, and I'm a happy man... not that I notice a whole heck of a lot of difference between stiff steel shafts.
Zyclone
HTTR

Post by Zyclone »

Hands down my Yes! Tracy model putter. I have been though a lot of putters, Oddesy, Scotty, Ping ect, and hands down the Yes! blows them all away. From 15 feet on in you cant miss even if you miss. The C-grove face makes the ball roll right away so you dont have to factor skidding at all. If you havent tryed the Yes! you're missing out big time!

Just picked up a set of Mizuo's MX950's today and cant say I dislike any club in the bag right now.

Wedge wise I love my Cleveland CG12's all around great.

Driver: Ping G10 all the way. It's the only driver I can nail straight down the fairway everytime I hit it without a Hook or Slice.
Last edited by Zyclone on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharif dont like it! ROCK the Casbah, ROCK the Casbah!
My Home Page
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

l to r: Zyclone, “hottie”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Didn't know Zy was a golfer.

As far as his post, I'll reiterate my scratch-golfing bud's line for the umpteenth time...

"It ain't the arrow, it's the indian, son."
Zyclone
HTTR

Post by Zyclone »

Dinsdale wrote:Didn't know Zy was a golfer.

As far as his post, I'll reiterate my scratch-golfing bud's line for the umpteenth time...

"It ain't the arrow, it's the indian, son."
Um Zy Golf's more then Gpete and his trolls post!
My bag....

My old clubs(cleveland TA6's,LaJolla knifes for the tall grass at "the oak") and a Yes! Callie/plus another new bag. They are going over to the Oak, so I have a set out there. Brand new Hibore XLS driver also. I cant hit the fucker for shit! Total slice, 300 yards but a slice none the less! :evil:

MY Wine...

Check out my home courses..

My baby
http://huntersoak.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Good
http://www.ccwoodmore.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The bad
http://www.hogneck.com/golf/proto/hogneck/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Ugly!
http://www.mdgolf.com/queenstown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Home sweet home :)
http://www.renditionsgolf.com/layout9.a ... &page=2036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My home course!
Sharif dont like it! ROCK the Casbah, ROCK the Casbah!
My Home Page
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Goober McTuber wrote:Image

l to r: Zyclone, “hottie”
More like this.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

After spending the last month in atypical winter-like weather, and with a blowed up back, I got out for 9 yesterday evening.

Sent just about every ball right. Pissed me right the fuck off. Swing felt good, my focus was good, but everything went right. Finally figured out tha after a month with a gimpy back, the hips/lower torso lost a bunch of flexibility, and my hips just wouldn't go all the way around.

Putting was freaking good, tough. Showed up wit the putter ready to rock and roll... unfortunately, it didn't help, and me and donkey dick became intimately familiar.

I'm > < this close to being MONEY, though.

Wait... I was never money before the back injuries... nevermind. It would be nice to have it go in the general direction I aim it aain, though. Supposed to be upper 70's and sunny tomorrow, so I might have to try and work it out again.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, I was 210 out on a long par 4 after a deece drive into about a 10 mph wind and it was about 50 degrees out. Normally, that's a nice smoothe 3 iron, but witht he ball not flying as far in the cool weather, no roll due to the course being completely saturated and the swing not in gear yet this early in the season, I broke out the 20* Nickent Hybrid. Since I have been drawing and hooking the Nickent's, I aimed about 15 yards right of the pin which was the right side of the green. Nice smoothe swing and BAM! it was on its way. The ever so slight draw was perfect. Ball landed 6 feet short of the pin and plugged into the green (as I said it was wet). Dammit. Probably would have trickled up close to the pin had it been drier. Of course, missed the birdie putt.

Shot 42 (par is 36) on the 9 after work Wednesday. That was with 1 bird, 4 pars and 2 bogies. Tells ya what I did on the other 2 fucking holes. And I missed 2 birdie putts within 6 feet. Had about a 4 footer on the other par 5 that I missed for bird in addition to the 6 footer on the long par 4.

My putting is not great. Never really has been great but it used to be pretty good. Until I got the yips. That's right, my chipping yips also came with putting yips. I started using the back of my blade putter to putt left handed using a right handed grip. BAsically, left-handed cross-handed. I was actually putting ok. From the right side, a 20 ft. putt would go 5 ft. or 20 ft. by. I simply lost it. So now I putt left-handed and play the rest of my bag right-handed.

For those who have never had the yips, thank your lucky stars. I do not know what causes the yips. Mental? Physical? Injury? Fuck I don't know. All I know is, it actually had me and my game depressed enough that I wanted to quit golf at one time. Back in high school when I was scratch, I would break clubs and piss and moan if I had to car anything higher than a 76. Last year, I hit 76 for the first time in about 5 years at the Raven in Sandestin. I wanted to fucking cry I was so happy. The next day I drop a 105 or some shit at Burnt Pine. For one day only, the golf Gods let me play without the yips.

Consider yourself lucky if you're yipless.