Anyone here bought a GPS?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

KC Scott

Anyone here bought a GPS?

Post by KC Scott »

I'm gonna break down and get one - The recent trip to DC convinced me printing google maps in advance or trying to read google maps on on my blackberry don't cut it. The "everlost" in the hertz rentals is shit. I've read Garmin street pilot 340 is real good for the money.

Anyone have any experience with a decent one?
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Does a real man ever ask or directions---even from a computer ??
Just askin'
Screw_Michigan

Re: Anyone here bought a GPS?

Post by Screw_Michigan »

KC Scott wrote:I'm gonna break down and get one - The recent trip to DC convinced me
you have to be all sorts of retarded to get lost in one of the easiest cities to figure out WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE and WHERE THE FUCK TO GO.

KC and all...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

The best place to be in Kansas City is right in the exact center of the city. Because the next step you take, no matter in what direction, you're on your way out of town.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

i've been to KC. every goddamn millimeter of it on I-70 East. Definitely didn't see any reason to try an exit. Only thing I might want to have seen there, arrowhead and royal stadium are easily seen from 70.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:i've been to KC. every goddamn millimeter of it on I-70 East. Definitely didn't see any reason to try an exit. Only thing I might want to have seen there, arrowhead and royal stadium are easily seen from 70.
Yea, but you could have rappelled down KFC Paul's gunt if you had stuck around for a while.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

I've used one in the past that was given to me to test out. Was it handy? Not really enough that I'd say I had to have one or was incapable of finding my way around a city without the use of it. Besides which, myself at least, once I've been somewhere once, I can always remember how to get back there without the need of a map.
Now for first time directions when a map's not possible, there's this great device called a telephone which I've found works wonders...

You getting old Scott or just looking for a new Christmas toy?
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

I've used the Tom Tom GO 800. It was far superior to the Alpine unit I replaced it with. It was under warranty, and the power on button stopped working. I regret getting this alpine unit, as it doesn't work near as well, but it's still under warranty, so it will probably break soon.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
dotdotdot
Elwood

Post by dotdotdot »

I travel by night and use the constellations as my guide.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

I have used a De Lorme GPS with a Streets & Maps Program for 4 years with my laptop..

It's always been outstanding.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Nah, I'd rather not have the government track me.

Sin,

Me.

Btw, if you idiots think the government can't track you, via Garmin, or TomTom, or any of that bullshit, talk with China. After all, it's not like they can track which Web sites are being used.

"Oh, but it helps me find my way around."

Fucking idiots.

No way, no how.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

RadioFan wrote:Nah, I'd rather not have the government track me.

Sin,

Me.

Btw, if you idiots think the government can't track you, via Garmin, or TomTom, or any of that bullshit, talk with China. After all, it's not like they can track which Web sites are being used.

"Oh, but it helps me find my way around."

Fucking idiots.

No way, no how.
I feel sorry for the fuck that gets the job of tracking me via GPS.
dotdotdot
Elwood

Post by dotdotdot »

That's exactly why I travel by night and use the constellations as my guide.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

The sextant is highly underrated, I have nothing but Props for the ole skool.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Y2K wrote:I feel sorry for the fuck that gets the job of tracking me via GPS.
You're kidding, right?

If a company has it, the government can get it, under "national security." You can't be this naive, can ya?
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Maybe things are different around here, but on the rare occasions I don't know where I am, I stop and ask the next person I see, and it's pretty freaking rare that person doesn't help me out.

Then again, if I'm travelling to an unfamiliar area, I tend to consult a map first... call me crazy like that.

There was an ugly little incident, something about pulling into the wrong Coast Gaurd base, and having all of the guns aimed at me... but as a general rule, I seem to get around just fine without GPS. Now, if I spent as much time bumping around barely-charted U&L wilderness, I might indulge... but they have these things called "compasses and topo maps," which seem to have worked pretty well over the last few decades, so fuck GPS.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

We all have our limitations.
I had a bad experience with "MapQuest"--a couple years ago we drove over to Miami to see my alma mater, the University of Maine Black Bears play football at Florida International Univeristy. Going along fine with MrsO riding shot gun and reading the map--- I ask, what's our next turn and she says there is none-- I realize we are in Little Havana and we're running out of road as I could see the ocean a ways down the street. Nothing but Spanish signage and all Latino folks along the street and me knowing only a few Spanish swear words, I spot a USPS mail delivery guy-- I think at least this guy must be bi-lingual. I luckily found a place to stop and ask him for directions. What luck ! HE happened to live a couple blocks from FIU and got me turned around and on our way. After that I have been cautious about MapQuest, Yahoo Maps, and Google Maps, et al.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

baby/bathwater/etc.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

You guys are a bunch of pussies.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

GPS in a car?

You gots to be kidding.

In a car there's way too much shit that's way too easy to collide with if you're taking the necessary time to program a route into it- or change one on the fly. Of course in a car you can pull over to the side of the road.

But, if you're absolutely insistent on getting a GPS, you should go with the very best: http://www.garmin.com/products/g1000/
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

With the job I'm doing now I am traveling to a lot of cities I haven't been to previously.

Always relied on Google / printing out maps in advance - But the recent DC trip was a perfect example of how GPS could have helped out. I had the route out of Regan mapped to jump on 66 west out to Manassas - great no problem except when I landed and got the rental car 66 was closed unless you were HOV. So had to route all the way up GW back to 495 S and then back to 66. Also noticing that the google / mapquest maps are sometimes (*gasp*) wrong.

The new GPS alert you (supposedly) to road cosntruction and shit like that. I'm seeing a lot offellow road warriors with the Garmin Street Pilots (must be why Garmins stock has rocketed). For those that don't get on a plane or three every week, it's not something your going to understand anyway.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Scott,
The GPS units don't alert you to road work (unless you sign up and pay for a service for traffic conditions - I've never done that) but the Tom tom GO unit had a re-route feature that would enable you to go around a detour for 1/4, 1/2 all the way up to 3 miles, as well as choose and map an alternate route, or a simple reroute that takes you another way.

It also enables you to minimize / maximize freeways, and to go with quickest / shortest routes.

As for the traffic option, if you travel to the same cities all the time, there is probably a 1-800 number you can call to check on highway conditions. They have one here in Cali where you just enter the HWY number and they give you all of the conditions - weather and construction - that are going on on all sections of that highway.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Jerkovich
Please pay attention to Me

Post by Jerkovich »

RadioFan wrote:
Y2K wrote:I feel sorry for the fuck that gets the job of tracking me via GPS.
You're kidding, right?

If a company has it, the government can get it, under "national security." You can't be this naive, can ya?

Get that foil cap out. :meds:
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Shouldn’t you be laying low, Kevnic? It’s almost reindeer time.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

KC Scott wrote:I'm seeing a lot offellow road warriors with the Garmin Street Pilots (must be why Garmins stock has rocketed)..
And you're the self-appointed stock-expert, right?

Garmin's business is predominantly Aviation & Military. GPS for cars is strictly a side line for them. Garmin gets the lion's share of the car GPS business because they're the biggest in ALL uses of GPS. And they're the biggest because they're the best.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

I've got some sort of TomTom that I got through my work (some sort of rewards program, where they give you stuff instead of a bonus for doing a good job). It's come in pretty handy since we moved to Sacramento and didn't really know our way around at first. Don't use as much now as we first did, though.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

In my world, GPS is a necessity. I love cunnilingus, and I ain't givin' up till I get to that peachpit.

--RumpleSpelunker
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dog
Elwood

Post by Dog »

Sudden Sam wrote:Anyone here bought a GPS?

For what? Can't read a map?

A lot of motorcycle riders are buying them now! Cracks me up. If I need to go northwest, I'll ride roads that go north and/or west. That's really tough to figure out.

I ain't in no hurry to get anywhere.
I have a Garmin that I use for hunting. I love it. When you are out walking in the mountains for hours on end, it is real easy to lose track of where your camp is. With a GPS, you can head right to it without worrying about walking in circles. Also, when you're packing out a quartered deer, you want to waste as little energy as possible.

GPS for driving? Not so much.

My wife uses it for geocaching tho.
Religious Warfare: Adults arguing over who has the best imaginary friend.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Also good for marking underwater structures when fishing.

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:Also good for marking underwater structures when fishing.
Quit scanning me!

sin

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I use a Garmin Edge 205 for bike training and Suunto X9i for running and out door stuff.
One of the reasons I wouldn't mind a GPS in my car is the bluetooth phone/mp3 player and then gps. At $300 to $400 its cheaper then a new BMW.