Free agency begins...

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Free agency begins...

Post by Shoalzie »

The Angels make a big splash by signing Torii Hunter...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3123200

I can't say that I'm a big fan of their trade earlier in the week for Jon Garland when they gave up Cabrera and now they add another outfielder when they already had a center fielder unless they plan on moving Matthews to a corner position. Their outfield will have a lot of pop. Who plays short now?
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Re: Free agency begins...

Post by Cueball »

Shoalzie wrote: Who plays short now?
Miguel Tejada
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Reds ink Francisco Cordero...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp

A bit of a shuffle with closers in the NL Central...the Brewers acquired Mota from the Mets, Cordero moves to the Reds and Lidge is out of Houston.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Shoalzie, maybe the Halos are planning on moving one of their pitchers along with Matthews for a guy like Miguel Cabrera.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Laxplayer wrote:Shoalzie, maybe the Halos are planning on moving one of their pitchers along with Matthews for a guy like Miguel Cabrera.

The Dodgers are supposedly one of the leading contenders to get Cabrera because of their abundance of young talent...I doubt the Marlins would want Matthews contract since they want to have a payroll that rivals the Rays.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

This Santana saga is getting interesting...Boston supposedly is willing to give up Ellsbury or Lester now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3138088

God have mercy on us all if Santana ends up in Boston. Beckett-Santana-Schilling-Matsuzaka-Buchholz or Lester as a 5-man rotation and Papelbon to close...good luck to the rest of the league. I would almost prefer he goes to the Yankees if those two are the leading contenders since they have holes in their rotation. The Yankees would have to give up a young pitcher and Clemens and Pettitte are both out of the picture unless they have a drastic change of heart. Knowing Clemens, he might give it another go if the Yanks land Santana. The Yankees would have a rotation with Wang, Santana, Mussina, Chamberlain, and Kennedy or Hughes. The Sox rotation with Santana is clearly more imposing so at this point, I'm rooting for the Yankees out of these two but I would obviously prefer he end up somewhere else that those two spots.

If you're the Twins...would you rather have Ellsbury/Buchholz/another prospect, Lester/Crisp/another prospect(s), or Hughes/Cabrera/another prospect? I don't ever hear what the other teams out there have offered. Out of those three proposals, I'd take the Ellsbury/Buchholz package since the Twins already acquired Delmon Young from Tampa for Matt Garza. Ellsbury would a natural choice to play center field and leadoff and Young would replace Hunter in the middle of the lineup. Cabrera is a nice player as well but not as good of an option at the top of the order.

They traded away Castillo at the deadline so a leadoff man is something they need to add if Young would essentially replace Hunter. Their top 4 of their rotation are looking like Liriano, Bonser, Baker and whomever they pick up in the Santana trade. They'd be wise to go find a veteran starter to fill out that 5-man rotation. Go into next year with Mauer behind the plate, Morneau at first and Young, Ellsbury/Cabrera and Cuddyer in the outfield...those are decent pieces to build around. They don't really have an experience in the middle of the infield with trading away Castillo last year and giving up Bartlett in the Garza-Young deal. They get Harris from Tampa in that deal to probably be their shortstop. Punto would likely stay at 3B and based on who's on the roster right now, Alexi Casilla would be their 2B unless they add a free agent. Another scenario could be moving Cuddyer to 3B, Punto to 2B and go with Craig Monroe in left with Young going to right.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Shoalzie,

I agree that the Sox would appear "Patriotesque" with the addition of Santana to the lineup, but I wouldn't trade both Ellsbury and Bucholz. It's either or.

As a Soxfan, I do not want the Yankees to get Santana. I am hoping that the Red Sox offering of Ellsbury is a way of
forcing the Yankees to up theirs!! so, in a way these trade discussions are telling the Yankees, "up yours!"

For the good of baseball, it would be best if the Twins could hold onto him and build a team around him, instead of becoming the farm team for the Red Sox, Yankees and other "haves".

The Mets, Mariners, Dodgers and Angels are among the other teams with which the Twins have talked about Santana.

The MLB needs more rivalries to keep it interesting! I think it would also be good for baseball if the Dodgers or Angels picked him up. That way, the MLB would be more than Yankees - Red Sox. It could also be East Coast - West Coast.

Other teams that I think would make the MLB better if he is traded to them would be Saint Louis, Detroit or either Chicago team to build the current baseball interests that are in middle America.

?Shoalzie,
What do the Tigers have to offer to land Santana? Do you want him? (at what price?)

If the Red Sox or Yankees pick him up, it will just be the rich getting richer.. and MLB will suffer!

However, if it has to suffer.... I would like the Red Sox to land Santana!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Jack wrote:?Shoalzie,
What do the Tigers have to offer to land Santana? Do you want him? (at what price?)

Of course I'd love to get him...he'd be glad to have Magglio on his team so he doesn't wear him out anymore head-to-head. I think the Tigers can probably get him with a package of Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin but the prospect honks will flip out. Miller is comparable to the pitchers the Yankees and Sox are offering but I doubt they'd give up Maybin after they trade Gorkys Hernandez in the Renteria deal.

I think the Tigers rotation is pretty much set...Verlander, Bonderman, Robertson, Rogers, Miller/Bozardo/Durbin/etc. I heard they had some interest in Dontrelle Willis not too long ago but I think that was only because they thought they'd not bring back Rogers. I'd be stunned if they get involved with any big trades. They added Renteria to be their shortstop and moved Guillen first and plus, they added Jacque Jones to be their left-handed left field to platoon with Marcus Thames.

The one name I'm hearing with them is LaTroy Hawkins to be a setup man with Rodney while Zumaya sits out the first half of the season. Hawkins would hopefully be a better 7th inning guy than what Mesa was when they signed him last winter.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Oh my...quite a bombshell I just heard on the radio. The Marlins and Tigers are supposedly in talks for both Miguel Cabrera and Willis. They'd probably have to give up Maybin and Miller.

Link: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7525396

Just imagine...

C: Rodriguez
1B: Guillen
2B: Polanco
SS: Renteria
3B: Cabrera
LF: Jones/Thames
CF: Granderson
RF: Ordonez
DH: Sheffield

Rotation: Verlander, Bonderman, Willis, Rogers, Robertson (if he isn't part of the trade)

8)
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

If that deal goes through and Renteria plays like he has and not like he did with the Red Sox, the Tigers are going to be a force to be reckoned with!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Jack wrote:If that deal goes through and Renteria plays like he has and not like he did with the Red Sox, the Tigers are going to be a force to be reckoned with!

No doubt...but it is sounding like the Marlins are asking for the moon if the Tigers want to get both guys. They might try to get either or. The report by Rosenthal was comfirmed by Rob Neyer of ESPN and Steve Phillips was on Detroit radio talking about it. Later, Jason Beck of MLB.com downplayed the rumors and said it's a pipe dream if they could get them both without gutting their minor league system. I'm willing to bet Dombrowski won't do something like although both Cabrera and Willis are still very young. I would choose Cabrera if they could got only one guy but I'm sure it'll cost the Tigers Maybin plus other pieces.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Shoalzie wrote:Oh my...quite a bombshell I just heard on the radio. The Marlins and Tigers are supposedly in talks for both Miguel Cabrera and Willis. They'd probably have to give up Maybin and Miller.

Link: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7525396

Just imagine...

C: Rodriguez
1B: Guillen
2B: Polanco
SS: Renteria
3B: Cabrera
LF: Jones/Thames
CF: Granderson
RF: Ordonez
DH: Sheffield

Rotation: Verlander, Bonderman, Willis, Rogers, Robertson (if he isn't part of the trade)

8)
This is looking like a done deal. I love it. Though I'd parlay D-train into a piece of a trade to get Santana.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Holy shit! :shock: 8)

I didn't think DD would do it but he did. Maybin and Miller...both blue chip guys, the Marlins will build around those two. Rabelo...became expendable considering Wilson will be healthy next year to back up Pudge. He gives up Trahern, who was very solid in Erie, de la Cruz, who looked like a promising bullpen arm and I don't know much about Bradenhop but had good numbers in Single-A.

It's scary how much of the farm system Dombrowski has trade in the last two years. He gave up 3 pitchers to get Sheffield from the Yankees. He gives up Jurjjens and Hernandez to get Renteria. Now, he gives up his two priced possessions plus a couple other decent pitchers for Cabrera and Willis. It doesn't leave them with much in the system other than their #1 pick from this year, Rick Porcello. He's just a baby too...drafted him out of high school. He doesn't need to be rushed when you'll have Verlander, Bonderman and Willis anchoring that rotation for the next few years.

Miller showed flashes of brilliance but also showed signs of a kid that needed work. Great lefthanded arm but only had one pitch. Maybin is tough to let go. The Nationals wanted Maybin for Soriano last year at the deadline. I'm glad Dombrowski got a much better player in return. If you give up a 5-tool stud...you better be getting a superstar in return. They get a young star at that. With Dombrowski moving both Hernandez and Maybin...this clearly shows he's behind Granderson to be their centerfielder now and in the future.

I'm surprised Inge wasn't part of the deal. He could still play third if Cabrera moves to left field. He's pretty much Manny Lite though as far as offensive skill and lack of athleticism and defensive ability. Inge probably moves into a utility role now.

My batting order:
Granderson, CF
Polanco, 2B
Sheffield, DH
Ordonez, RF
Cabrera, 3B
Guillen, 1B
Rodriguez, C
Jones (vs. RHP) / Thames (vs. LHP), LF
Renteria, SS

You bat Renteria 9th because of his OBP and he'll score 100 runs out of that spot as essentially a second leadoff man. 1-6 is as good as any team can roll out. To add Renteria and Cabrera to an already top flight offense...it's scary how many runs they'll score. Off the bench, you have Inge and Raburn who can probably play 6 or 7 positions between them. I wonder if Inge returns to catcher at some point.

The rotation:
Verlander
Bonderman
Willis
Rogers
Robertson

By far the best rotation in the Central Division. The Indians have the best 1-2 punch, the Twins going to trade Santana and the White Sox just gave up Garland. If the combination of this rotation and lineup doesn't win the Central, I'd fire Dombrowski and Leyland. This is a championship roster. To mortage that much of the future in three major trades in two years, as a passionate TigerFan, I should expect a title this year or next year or these moves were complete wastes.
Last edited by Shoalzie on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

DEAL DONE!! in principle.

The Florida Marlins and Detroit Tigers have agreed in principle on a trade that will send Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit for key prospects, sources told ESPN's Peter Gammons.

The Tigers would send outfielder Cameron Maybin, pitcher Andrew Miller, catcher Mike Rabelo and three other minor league pitchers to the Marlins.

The deal is expected to be announced Tuesday night when the physicals and paperwork are completed.

***********************************************************************************

The Tigers are officially in contention for the Post Season and do have the making of a World Series Team!!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dodgers sign Andruw Jones to a 2-year deal...

Another centerfielder that doesn't go to the White Sox.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Shoalzie wrote:http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp

Dodgers sign Andruw Jones to a 2-year deal...

Another centerfielder that doesn't go to the White Sox.
Jones' better days are behind him but a 2 year deal isn't bad at that salary--
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Heard a radio interview today with Dombrowski...sounds like Inge would rather be traded than become the utility guy or move back to catcher. I guess I can't blame him for wanting to go somewhere he'll be able to start at 3B. Defensively, he's among the best in baseball. A weakness for the Tigers has been their lack of production at the traditionally power hitting infielder positions at the corners. To go from Casey and Inge to Guillen and Cabrera...that's a huge step up. I hope Dombrowski can snag something useful in exchange for Inge and I hope finds a new home.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Heard on the radio...Miguel Tejada to Houston for Luke Scott and 5 other players
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Shoalzie wrote:Heard on the radio...Miguel Tejada to Houston for Luke Scott and 5 other players

Houston just got hosed. Anyone who gives more then a bag of balls for that washed up, overrated, juice monkey is crazy....
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

god, I hope it was just the nagging injuries that dropped his performance in '07. They gave up way too much for him.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The D'backs were busy on Friday...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3155417

Acquired Dan Haren and another pitcher from Oakland for 6 minor leaguers and traded their closer Jose Valverde to Houston for Chad Qualls, Chris Burke and another pitcher.

It gives the D'backs a nice duo at the top of their rotation with Webb and Haren and they could have the Big Unit again next year as well. I don't know what they do with closer unless they move Brandon Lyon back to that spot and they did acquire Bob Wickman from Atlanta in September but wasn't eligible for their postseason roster.

For the A's, it's another promising young player shipped away for other pieces. Blanton is supposedly on the block as well. The Astros have had a productive offseason with upgrading their closer spot and rebuilding their middle infield by adding Kaz Matsui and Tejada.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If you've got half of a decent starting rotation, and a few decent pieces in place, the best way to build a WS champion is to get Billy Bean on the phone in December.

I think Oakland would just as soon pay their guys hourly wages rather than salary, but the minimum wage laws screw that up for them.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

No doubt...they trade young players as much as the Marlins have. The A's aren't nearly as frugal at the Marlins...they had a payroll around $80 million at the start of last year. They did trim a lot of fat since then with moving Kendall around the deadline, cutting Bradley and Loaiza loose and Piazza was pretty much a one-year player. They got a couple of hefty contracts with Chavez and Kotsay. I'm surprised Chavez has been on that team as long as he has but I bet his injury problems and his $9.5 million salary make him a very unattractive target for teams looking for a 3B.

I'm sure with the Haren trade, Beane found a couple of gems kind of like when he got Haren in the Mulder deal. I don't doubt his ability to judge young talent...he's got a good track record. However, the biggest difference between them and the Marlins, the Marlins have actually accomplished something in October. It sucks to have your team constantly rebuilding but at least MarlinFan have a couple championships to hang their hat on.

It has to be a lot harder to do what the A's are doing in the AL considering there are 5 legitimate title contending teams along with an up and coming team like Seattle and a couple of teams like Minnesota and Chicago that have had their fair share of postseason experience recently. The junior circuit is as balanced as I can remember. Surprise teams like Colorado and Arizona are able to rise up and make an LCS because the NL doesn't have the powerhouse teams. The A's probably missed their chance at win titles with the Big 3 and that window is pretty much closed. The AL has been controlled by the big two and the Angels and now you have two contenders in the Central with Cleveland and Detroit...it'll be tough for any team outside of those 5 to get one of those four playoff spots.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Shoalzie wrote:Surprise teams like Colorado and Arizona are able to rise up and make an LCS because the NL doesn't have the powerhouse teams.

That, and Colorado actually hangs on to their prospects long enough to let them see a full big-league season.

The A's like to always hang on to one familiar face, and Chavez has been that face for awhile now. $9.5 mil really ain't that much for your "franchise player."

And I'm sure Chavy is glad he didn't make The List... considering who his old mentor was.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Dodgers sign Japanese free agent right-hander Hiroki Kuroda. Three years $35 mil. Not trading youngsters.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

The Jays made a substantial improvement at SS with the signing of David Eckstein. With John MacDonald to back him up defensively when it's needed, Eckstein's bat makes them one move (a solid backup catcher) away from contending along with the Yankees in the east.

Boston's in a world all by themselves, if they land Santana.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If adding Eckstein's bat is the key to your future success... you need to find a new locksmith.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Dinsdale wrote:If adding Eckstein's bat is the key to your future success... you need to find a new locksmith.
Not just his bat Dins, but his hard nosed attitude. It's something that they lacked last year with Reed Johnson out of the lineup for most of the season.
Pitching's solid 1-5, the bullpen's as deep as any teams' and Ryan should be back by June to add to it . As long as Vernon Wells rebounds from a brutal 2007 season and Glaus can keep himself roid free, they've got a deep starting 9 capable of putting up some serious numbers.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

A's deal Nick Swisher to the White Sox for three minor leaguers...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3179423

I'm wondering if he's the going to play in center field since they couldn't snag Hunter, Jones or Rowand this winter. He's a good bat to add when you have to compete with lineups like Detroit and Cleveland. He'll definitely fit in with his new city...should bring plenty of wind. He's K'd 283 times the last two seasons. He's also walked 197 times in that stretch. A lineup with (Orlando) Cabrera, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Crede, Swisher, Pierzynski and Fields should produce plenty of runs...Josh Fields wore out the Tigers last year. With Crede coming back, I'm willing to bet they slide him out to left. I'm not a big fan of their starting pitching but they'll be able to mash and Jenks in the best closer in the division.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Sox might not be done...

Kenny Williams must like dealing with teams in the AL West or something.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Santana to the Mets, a done deal (pending physical)...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's great news that he's not going to be with the Red Sox or the Yankees and he's out of the AL all together. Even with the storybook seasons the D'backs and Rockies had...the NL is still very much up for grabs and the Mets pick up the premier lefty starter in the game for mid-level prospects at best.

Pedro isn't the same Pedro but to move him to the #2 spot in the rotation...not many teams in the NL can throw out a second starter of that caliber. I'd maybe put Webb and Haren with Arizona and Peavy and Young of San Diego ahead of the Mets duo just because of Pedro's health being an issue. I think Penny and a healthy Schmidt with the Dodgers could be in this discussion as well as far as best starting duos in the NL.

I don't know if this makes the Mets the early favorite in the NL going into the season but it was pitching that did them in down the stretch last year. Even if Pedro is back, he's probably no more than a 6 or 7 inning pitcher at best. It's key to have an innings-eater like Santana so Randolph doesn't have to burn up his bullpen with the top of his rotation and to be able to save them for the back half. They were 38 guys last year who threw 200 innings and the Mets only had Glavine that threw 200-1/3 innings but he's back to Atlanta. Maine threw 191 innings but he won't have to throw as many innings being the #3 or #4 starter.

Having to face only 8 hitters and a pitcher on a regular basis...that'll only help Santana's healthy strikeout numbers that he's racked up in the AL the last 4 years. Peavy and Santana are the only two pitchers in baseball to throw 200+ strikeouts the last four seasons. That'll be a fun duel to watch when they meet up...invest in the letter "K" for sure.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Another big throwing lefty on the move; Bedard to Seattle

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had a breakout season in 2007...emerged as one of the best lefties in the AL. With Santana gone, you can make the argument that he's the best southpaw in the junior circuit. I think the M's have tightened the gap between them in the Angels. I'm not a big fan of the rest of their rotation but if they can make the playoffs...King Felix and Bedard are a duo on par with most contending teams' top 2 starters.

Putz is right up there with Papelbon, Rivera, Rodriguez and Jenks as far as top closers in the league. They've got a decent lineup...maybe slightly below what the Angels have considering they add Hunter's bat this winter. I think right now the edge still has to go with the Angels given the have the deeper rotation and Guerrero is still one of the best run producers in the game. It should make for a great race in the AL West between those two.