This place still kicking around?

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

JD
Elwood

This place still kicking around?

Post by JD »

Haven't been around in a while, can't even remember when I last checked in. Looking at the topic list, it looks like I'm not the only one who checks in infrequently. But let's talk some hockey. Back to the basics. Have a take and don't suck.

Sidney Crosby is already the best player in the NHL. If you're not already aware, this is the most impressive young player since Wayne Gretzky. Even Mario Lemieux' young career doesn't quite add up to Sid the Kid's, who, btw, just turned 20. I know a lot of you Yanks are missing a lot of hockey since it's not on TV anywhere, but if you can go out of your way to watch some Pens games, DO IT.

Alexander Ovechkin had a better rookie season than Crosby, yet he is not at the same level. But that is no swipe. This kid is a phenomenal player in his own rite. More of a Bure/Kurri type player than a Gretzky/Yzerman, but that doesn't make him any less exciting. If the Caps come to town, go and watch them play. If for no other reason than to see Chris Clark plumb his way to another 30 goal season. That in itself blows my mind. I always liked Clarky as a Flame, but no way did I see that kind of production from him. He really turned a corner, starting with that magnificent comeback in Game 6 vs. the Canucks in 2004. Clark led the Flames back from a 4-0 deficit, and the dude has never looked back. Solid player. Playing with Ovechkin helps though.

The Oilers' antics this off-season is fodder for discussion... The offer for Vanek was, well, almost arguable. Vanek is young and already has a 40 goal year under his belt. He's gonna be a great player. Dustin Penner, well, that was Lowe learning from his mistake of going after Vanek and targeting a team with more vulnerability. The Ducks couldn't match that offer. The Sabres HAD to match that offer after losing two FA's to NY and PHI. But the Penner contract is waaaaay overpaying. No f'in way in hell does he earn that paycheque this year. But Lowe is right: in 4 years he might be. If Penner develops into a 40 goal scorer that doesnt' mooch off Getzlaf and Perry, Lowe got something. Gotta admit, Hemsky and Penner might be gold together. But so would have Smyth and Hemsky, or so was. Lowe fucked up last year, and now he's trying to make up for it with offer sheets. Saving a job, if you will.

Didn't check in last playoffs. Props to the Wing fans. No props to Shoalzie for that Game 5 meltdown. Brutal, man. The Flames have always gooned it up when they lose. What did you honestly expect? Maybe coach Babs should have sent Bertuzzi out to do some headhunting. Goons like Langkow need to be shown. Anyway, the Flames were dead in the water when they lost most of their last 10 games to get into the playoffs. Brutal showing. That was the most talented edition of the Flames in 15 years, and they showed nothing. Sutter's moves to grittify them this year are bang-on. Keenan is a loose cannon, but he will demand nothing but effort and fore-checking, something that team needs. He has the potential to get them over the top this year. He also has the potential to ruin everything: make Kipper demand a trade, Iginla sulk, Phaneuf take up smoking (oops, already done), etc. Keenan is a swing-for-the-fences move by Sutter. He'll either blast it 400' or go down on strikes. Either way, as a FlameFan, I'm happy to see some drama this year. Happy to see us gunning for it. 8 years ago, it was hoping that everything that could go right would go right and then we MIGHT get 8th spot. We're in a much better place.

The new Super Series. I'm glad they're not hyping this as a repeat or anything of that sort. It isn't the same. It isn't close. Shit, I wasn't even born during the original Super Series, but I know enough to know that this is nothing compared to that. The Russians aren't scary, they aren't mysterious, and we aren't trying to re-prove our hockey supremacy, especially not by throwing out our best 17 and 18 year olds!! Canadian hockey has proven plenty in the past 6 years. There is no hockey nation more dominant than Canada. This Super Series will only be another testament to that. I am looking forward to watching some games live once they switch over to Canadian soil.

Looking forward to the season. Maybe I'll join the fantasy league.... we'll see if there's room once I get some time. Hope all you's who've I've traded smack with over the past 8 years or so are doing well.

C'mon, Gary, get the NHL back on ESPN so Americans can actually see hockey games again! <insert anti-Bettman rant here, but not from me!>
Still a FlameFan
Cicatrix
Elwood

Re: This place still kicking around?

Post by Cicatrix »

JD wrote:Hope all you's who've I've traded smack with over the past 8 years or so are doing well.
GFYJO

8)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Welcome back JD...don't be a stranger!
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

well, I for one, am looking forward to buying a mini-season ticket package to the Crapitals as soon as I land a job in washington. that is, hopefully within six months.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:well, I for one, am looking forward to buying a mini-season ticket package to the Crapitals as soon as I land a job in washington. that is, hopefully within six months.

I'm going to see the Caps when they come to the Joe in December...scored a front row seat! I'm also going to the season opener against the Ducks...the "highly anticipated" return of Bertuzzi and Schneider.