Our semi-regular look at the national consciousness

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Canadian
canadianlattitude.ca

Our semi-regular look at the national consciousness

Post by Canadian »

The Harper government has had a rough go of things lately, at least so far as selling the war in Afghanistan is concerned. Indeed, as the Toronto Star euphemistically put it earlier this month, public support for the mission "can grow."

According to amid-July poll by the Strategic Counsel, only 36 per cent of Canadians supported the mission in Afghanistan, while 59 per cent of respondents were opposed. In Quebec, 75 per cent of respondents were opposed to the mission. And that was before any Quebec-based soldiers had even been sent to Afghanistan.

A recent CROP poll suggests attacks like the one that killed Private Simon Longtin, a member of Quebec's Van Doos unit, are likely to push support for the war in la belle province even further to the margins. In the days prior to the attack, 57 per cent of Quebecers said they disapproved of the decision to send the Van Doos into Afghanistan. However, with Longtin's death came a hefty 11 point jump (to 68 per cent) in opposition.

Meanwhile, a survey by Innovative Research shows women are especially reluctant to endorse Canada's role. The poll found that while 65 per cent of male respondents expressed support for the mission, a scant 47 per cent of women did the same. Women were also more likely to take a cynical view of the conflict, with 45 per cent believing the deployment was aimed at pleasing George W. Bush (compared with 37 per cent of men who felt the same way).

On other issues...

87% of Canadians are concerned about the safety of imported food

80% of Quebecers say the cabinet shuffle had no impact on their opinion of the Harper government

48% of Canadians spend less than 30 minutes a day walking

48% of Canadians would support a UN-sanctioned intervention by the military in Darfur

43% of Canadians believe they won't have enough money to pay for long-term care like a nursing home

34% of Canadians believe the environment is the single most important issue facing the country

23% of globeandmail.com readers dislike their boss

12% of Canadians don't tip their hair stylist

11% of Canadians have a drug or alcohol abuse problem

9% of Canadians think Ottawa is the best city in Canada

7% of Canadians say they are atheists
Well with 3 Vandoos dying recently I am sure the support in Quebec for this so called war will decrease even more. Then 80% said cabinet change had no effect, so Harper I think will lose seats in PQ.

I also think more than 7% of Canadians are Atheists.

I tip my hair stylist when I go. Usually I cut it err shave it off myself but for a $10 haircut I will tip 5 bucks as I know they don't make that much after chair rental and plus it is good to keep them happy. :)

So more people 48% support going to Darfur than being in Afghanistan at 36%. I think we should go to Darfur.

Link