Random thoughts on the second round

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Random thoughts on the second round

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Okay, so I gave the Rangers almost no chance to beat the Sabres. Neither did, almost, anyone else. I still can't see them beating the Sabres, but I admire their tenacity. What did Jules say '...personality goes a long way.'? Well, the Rangers are one charming motherfukken pig right now. I'm sorta pulling for the Rangers only because...

.....everyone and their cat(not YT) will watch a Rangers-Red Wings finals. Sure that's thinking way ahead, but hell. That would be the best finals matchup of my lifetime.

Speaking of the Red Wings. They won in overtime... again. Even though they outshot the Sharks badly, they just looked like they didn't have it tonight. Schneider had the game winner from the point.
"I saw he was getting rushed and once I got it I found a passing lane and shot it over Nabby's shoulder," Schneider said. "It had eyes."

Is there anyone saying that they're glad Lamiorello took over as coach of the Devils? I mean anyone outside of Ottawa? I would say the Devils had a good team this year, but not underachieving.
Defense wins championships.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

That was an imense win last night. Coming back from down 2-0 for the second time in the series to win. The Wings have lead a grand total of 12:24 out of 256:04 of this series and they come out of these first four games 2-2. It's not be a been pretty but they've got a legit shot and escaping with this series.

Looking forward to Game 5 of Sabres-Rangers tonight...that's been the most entertaining series of the four by far.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:Looking forward to Game 5 of Sabres-Rangers tonight
They play tomorrow night. I'm sure the NHL is happy that it will go to a 6th game for the Sunday TV coverage on NBC.

Blitz, I gave the Rangers a chance, mainly due to the fact that they are my team, but also due to the fact that they have played great hockey leading into the playoffs and they are riding a hot goalie ride now. Their gameplan has worked very well. If not for Malik's dumb pass and Rachunek totally taking himself out of the play in game 2, the Rangers could be up 3-1 right now, but those mistakes happen.

Nice win by the Wings last night. That series has been great so far.

I am loving watching the Devils lose. Lou's toiling is catching up to him.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Looking forward to Game 5 of Sabres-Rangers tonight
They play tomorrow night.

My bad...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Ducks go back to the Western Finals and rightfully so. They were best team in the West at the beginning of the season but injuries to key guys slowed them down but I think they're peaking at the right time now. Detroit or San Jose will have their hands full with them especially with the Ducks getting a few days rest while Wings-Sharks still have no less than two more hard fought games left in their series.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Nice elbow by Rob Neidermeyer that wasn't called, that being said, Luongo should have been paying attention on the game winner. Once again the Sedins are proving they are puff pastries in the playoffs, Linden had more points than the brothers combined.
moon
Elwood

Post by moon »

Shoalzie wrote: San Jose will have their hands full with them especially with the Ducks getting a few days rest while Wings-Sharks still have no less than two more hard fought games left in their series.
Fixed that for you.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Bad mistake by Luongo. R. Neidermayer should have gotten a penalty, but that doesn't mean Luongo should lose focus and try to be an additional ref.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

7 fucking seconds.....7 god damn motherfucking seconds........dammit I'm pissed right now......
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

That hurt. :(
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Dude, that was a huge kick in the fucking nuts......There's this feeling in the pit of my stomach that won't go away......maybe with some more alcohol it will numb a little bit. they win that game and the fucking series is over.....now they're looking at a very difficult situation. Someone needs to step up like Messiah in 94 and guarantee a win then go out and drop a hat trick on them.....then amiracle goal in game 7 to win the series......
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I have the same feeling in my stomach now too.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Fantastic! Go Sabres!
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

RangerFan knows how SharkFan probably felt after Game 4...

Drury continues to add to his legend...unreal.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Drury needs to go back to little league, be fat and cute so I don't have to worry about him the rest of this series.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

As an Islanders fan, I was torn.....have a hard time rooting for the team that walloped mine (and has fans that have STILL been rubbing it in)...but I have a long-standing hatred for the frigging Rangers.

Last night's dagger in the heart of Rangersfan made my mind up for me.

Go Sabres!
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Canadian
canadianlattitude.ca

Post by Canadian »

The Canucks did not even try. They suck. It is always next year with these clowns.

I would of thought San Jose was going to win but they have just collapsed.

If I were to bet now i would say a Detroit/Buffalo final.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

i love hearing brett hull talk shit about goalies when the dude played about 20 minutes of defense during his entire career.

ray ferarro should just lean over and punch him in the mouth like his father kept his mother in line. shut the fuck up, you whiney pussy. have some fucking class.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:Last night's dagger in the heart of Rangersfan made my mind up for me.
There is still plenty of hockey of hockey left. I still see the Rangers winning tomorrow to force Game 7. They have played the Sabres the way they needed to. They only thing that has killed them has been holding on the the lead in the 3rd period. The series would already be over if they could have held on. Credit to Buffalo for coming back.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

That almost too easy yesterday...even after the Sharks put in a soft early goal on Hasek. The Nabokov gaffe was the turning point in the game, without a doubt...it was an awful thing to happen that close to the end of the period and it was goals late in periods that did them in on Wednesday night. The Wings carried all momentum into the third and then put the game away with two power play goals. I was wondering if the end of the game would turn into Game 5 of the Calgary series but there were some incidents fueled by frustration but nothing excessive like a backup goalie slashing a player in the stomach.

By no means am I looking ahead to facing the Ducks at this point. I don't see the game on Monday being easy at all. If the Wings can close it out, it'll mean that Ron Wilson has lost to them in the playoffs as coach of three different teams...Anaheim, Washington and potentially San Jose. It's funny that the franchise he has blood ties to also has his number in the postseason. He's been one of the better coaches in the league since he's been in the league but he's not been able to get it done in the playoffs. Considering he's probably got the better team in this series...more heat should be given to him for this loss if it does happen.

The Wings defense took a big hit with Schneider breaking his wrist in the first period. That affects the power play and it forces the Wings to dress another rookie on defense...most likely Derek Meech. I think it'll also cause guys like Lidstrom and Chelios to play more minutes and with how physically demanding these playoffs have been, that's a big deal. Not sure what Lebda's immediate status is but this wouldn't be a bad time for him to become healthy enough to play. Quincey has done well in Lebda's absense so far and the play of Lilja has been probably one of the biggest surprises for this team.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Fuck the Rangers! And fuck their obnoxious fans (several of whom are college students living next door to me and who made a point of being pricks about my Isles getting bounced...).
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Oh like the Islanders don't have obnoxious fans? Give it a rest.
Huge props to the Sabres. Great series. The Rangers are headed in the right direction. They've got a goalie for the next few years and they're not spending tons of jack on the johnny come lately free agents. The gutting of this franchise over the last few years and free wheeling for nothing has finally stopped and they've gotten better the last two years. The future is bright for the Blueshirts.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Laxplayer wrote:Oh like the Islanders don't have obnoxious fans? Give it a rest.
.....mmmmmm...no, see no reason to give it a rest.

Every team has obnoxious fans, but I've had to listen to the frigging "Smurf" fans for decades and to the metro NY college imports year in and year out. Shit, I happened to be outside trimming my hedges last weekend, wearing an Islanders T-shirt, when some charity walk went past my house and the frigging Rangers fans in the crowd made a damned POINT of marching onto my lawn and yelling "RAYN-JAHS BAY-BAH!" and "FUCK THE ISLANDAHS." Nice. The morons would high-five each other and talk about how the Sabres were "goin' down." Christ, as bad as Sabres fans get now and again, I'll at least concede that I'm living in their home turf.

I've been an Islanders fan since the franchise began and remember the delightful Rangers' fans for their throwing pennies on the ice at Nassau Colosseum and for wonderful the Rangers were to the Isles in the early years for being in "their" turf. The team sucked for years, had one of the best groups in NHL history when they pulled of four straight Stanley Cups, and, well, we all know how "awesome" their owner has been.

Yeah, every team has obnoxious fans, but 35 years of being an Islanders fan has given me a great view of how classy Rangersfan can be through the years.

Props to the Sabres for outlasting the Rangers and props to the Rangers for playing as well as they did for as long as they did against the President's Trophy team.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Rangers fans displayed nothing but class and the round of applause that they gave the team at the end of the series shows why they are some of the better fans around. Sure, there are some obnoxious ones, but I didn't see anything thrown on the ice in the 3 home games with Buffalo, while I saw Islander fan litter the ice in both first round games at the Coliseum.

Props to Buffalo.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Hey Rat, I can't help you with the idiot fans that associate themselves with the Rangers. I do understand what you're going through because I live in So. Cal and the bandwagon U$C fans are much worse. Ever fan group has their idiots and shitty people and I'm glad to say I'm not one of them, however give em shit right back if they act like tools. Hopefully the Ranger-Isle rivalry will be back to what it was when both teams are competitive and in the playoffs vs. each other.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

see, this is what i love about rangers/isles fans: dirtbag, scum of the earth ranger fans and silver spooned, gated community, afraid of the city islander fans. i say put them both in the gahden, arm all the fans, lock the doors, and not open the gates until one man is standing.

that'll thin the herd a bit.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Laxplayer wrote:Ever fan group has their idiots and shitty people and I'm glad to say I'm not one of them, however give em shit right back if they act like tools.
I'm thinking that the source of the idiocy of the "local" Ranger fans I deal with now is their status as college students.
Laxplayer wrote:Hopefully the Ranger-Isle rivalry will be back to what it was when both teams are competitive and in the playoffs vs. each other.
Danged straight. Things are looking better for both teams, and hopefully the classic rivalry willbe fun again.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

It's funny because when I first started watching hockey it was around 1983 when the NHL was on USA and the Isles were in the midst of their run. It was right around then that I think it was either Sports Illustrated or Sport magazine did a piece on the glitz and glamour of the Rangers and how they were a bunch of high priced city boys like Ron Duguay and then there were the Islanders who were a bunch of flannel shirt, levi's jeans wearing, Jeep driving blue collar type of guys. I guess that hasn't changed much. Silver spooned trust fund kids spouting off like spoiled little brats.....wait isn't that U$C fan in so. Cal?

I love this rivalry and I agree that things are on the right track for some classic battles in the years to come.