It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Sadaam has last laugh

Post by Justa Heel »

http://www.alternet.org/columnists/story/49589/

Saddam Has the Last Laugh
By Robert Scheer, Truthdig. Posted March 21, 2007.

Congrats, George. Mission accomplished. You managed to make Saddam's tyranny look good in comparison with "liberated Iraq."

Yep, you did it, George -- mission impossible accomplished. Unbelievably, four years of a bungled occupation have managed to make Saddam Hussein's tyranny look good in comparison with "liberated Iraq."

At least, that is the view of the Iraqi weightlifter made famous through a video of him taking a sledgehammer to Saddam Hussein's statue. "I really regret bringing down the statue," Kadhim al-Jubouri said on British television this week. "The Americans are worse than the dictatorship. Every day is worse than the previous day."

That's the judgment of a man who spent nine years in Hussein's jails, and, unfortunately, it is one shared by a majority of his countrymen, according to an authoritative poll sponsored jointly by ABC, BBC and USA Today: Only 38 percent of Iraqis believe that the country is better off today than under Hussein, while nearly four out of five oppose the presence of coalition forces in Iraq.

Even more disturbing is that 51 percent of Iraqis think it is OK to attack coalition troops -- triple the number that thought that way in a 2004 survey. Square that with our president's assurances, offered since the first month of this unnecessary adventure, that the insurgency represents a small handful of terrorists. While most of the antipathy is registered among Sunnis, 94 percent of whom favor attacks on coalition forces, and by only 7 percent of Kurds, a surprising 35 percent of Shiites endorse that sort of violence.

Given the number of Kurds and Shiites who originally welcomed the invasion, it is also startling that 53 percent of all Iraqis polled agreed that "from today's perspective, and all things considered," it was "wrong that U.S.-led coalition forces invaded Iraq in spring 2003."

The poll, part of a series conducted each of the past three years at great risk to 150 pollsters, reveals a sharp rise in anti-American feeling and disapproval of the 2003 invasion.

When Bush didn't find any weapons of mass destruction or ties between Saddam and 9/11, the fallback justification for the taking of tens of thousands of lives and the expenditure of over $400 billion in American taxpayer money was that Iraq would become a model for the democratic, free-market way of life. Many assumed the richest, most powerful and most technologically competent country in the world could improve life for Iraqis compared with that afforded by a vicious dictator hemmed in by international boycotts. But it didn't happen.

What Bush has managed to do is to place the United States in a no-win position as the most likely target for failed Iraqi expectations, which he did so much to raise. He is asking Iraqis to take his word for it that the invasion was not post-9/11 posturing or a grab for oil or a blow undertaken on behalf of Israel, yet he has nothing tangible to show as proof of his sincerity.

Almost four in five of those Iraqis polled called the availability of jobs "bad," 88 percent had the same negative judgment of the supply of electricity, and 69 percent said the same about the availability of clean water and medical care. In this nation, gifted with the world's second-largest oil reserves, 88 percent termed the availability of fuel for cooking and driving as quite bad.

Of course, the coffers of a handful of American mercenary, construction and energy corporations have swelled, despite this lack of credible achievement. More than $20 billion in "reconstruction" contracts were given to Vice President Dick Cheney's old company, Halliburton, alone.

The easy answer provided by Bush apologists for this dismal performance is to place blame on the insurgency. That, however, is not the verdict of the Iraqi people. Asked to judge how the United States and other coalition forces have carried out their responsibilities in Iraq, 76 percent say they have done "a bad job." And while a modest majority don't want the Americans to leave "immediately," they don't see the increase in the U.S. troop numbers, defended stoutly by Bush on Monday, as helpful. Truly, this is a lose-lose situation.

Asked the source of violence that had occurred near the polled individual's neighborhood, the largest group, more than 44 percent, cited "unnecessary violence against citizens by U.S. or coalition forces," while four out of 10 said they blame the coalition forces or Bush for "the most for the violence that is occurring in the country" -- and only 18 percent cited "al-Qaida and foreign jihads." So much for Bush's claim that U.S. troops are needed in Iraq to protect its citizens from foreign terrorists.

Surprisingly, while 82 percent lacked confidence in coalition troops, two-thirds of those polled expressed confidence in their own army and police forces -- yet more indication that Iraqis could do a better job of policing themselves than we can. Our continued presence there, ostensibly in the name of fixing the place, will only continue to exacerbate anti-U.S. sentiment among the people we claim to be saving.

Robert Scheer is the co-author of The Five Biggest Lies Bush Told Us About Iraq. See more of Robert Scheer at TruthDig.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Scheer is a cunt.

I'm familiar with his "work". From one side of his mouth he'll tell what a fraud and disaster the Iraq invasion was, and from the other
side, he'll tell you what a colossal error it is not attacking the real threat, namely, Iran.

He can pack his bag and get the fuck outta Dodge with the rest of the disloyal, Fifth Columnist, stateless, wandering-Jew Zionists.
When America implodes, I'm sure they'll magical come into possesion of foreign passports, as they have done historically.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

while 82 percent lacked confidence in coalition troops, two-thirds of those polled expressed confidence in their own army and police forces
Yeah, I guess it's too bad that they keep finding them murdered all over the place then.

Polls in Iraq are irrelevant. Of course the majority of the people are against what's going on. They have their own people, members of their own peaceful religion killing each other and they can't get out.

Many of those who would have voted in favor of deposing Saddam have left the country in fear of their lives.

And in a lot of the cases it is Saddam supporters that are still the problem, not the invading forces or the foreign jihadists.

If they'd stop killing each other they just might find out that things are better without Saddam.

This guy is one of the better Bush haters, though. I haven't read something quite so slanted in a while.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

Let's see. Saddam and his two sons are rotting in their graves. Bush, who convinced everyone with bogus evidence, to invade Iraq and topple Saddam, is serving his second term in luxurious comfort. Who's laughing again? The corpse? Yea, sure.
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

Mississippi Neck wrote:Let's see. Saddam and his two sons are rotting in their graves. Bush, who convinced everyone with bogus evidence, to invade Iraq and topple Saddam, is serving his second term in luxurious comfort. Who's laughing again? The corpse? Yea, sure.
The corpse is exactly right. At least that corpse could control the people of his country when he was alive.

Also, bode Robert Scheer.
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Doggone it, if Bush would just start torturing all those Iraqis, he could control them better.. Abu Graib was merely a tenth of what he shoudl be doing.
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

Mississippi Neck wrote:Doggone it, if Bush would just start torturing all those Iraqis, he could control them better.. Abu Graib was merely a tenth of what he shoudl be doing.
Jesus Christ you're fucking stupid.
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Justa Heel wrote: The corpse is exactly right. At least that corpse could control the people of his country when he was alive.
Given that I am mocking the above statement, you reached a self conclusion.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Mississippi Neck wrote: Who's laughing again? The corpse? Yea, sure.
It just looks like they're laughing when all it really is is that their jaws weren't properly wired shut at the mortuary
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

The Iraqi people's welfare isn't important. We went to war because of those massive stockpiles of WMDs.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Justa Heel wrote:
The corpse is exactly right. At least that corpse could control the people of his country when he was alive.
Uh...he "controlled" them with murder, chemical weapons, and rape squads. Yeah, bode him.

Jesus, you're a fucking retard.
titlover
Eternal Scobode

Post by titlover »

Bode Bush for melting you every day of your life. He controls you like Saddam controlled his people.

bode!!!!!!
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

titlover wrote:Bode Bush for melting you every day of your life. He controls you like Saddam controlled his people.

bode!!!!!!
Careful, don't melt too hard. You won't be able to pedal around on your little bicycle.
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

OCmike wrote:
Justa Heel wrote:
Uh...he "controlled" them with murder, chemical weapons, and rape squads. Yeah, bode him.

Jesus, you're a fucking retard.
And Iraq was in better shape (as was OUR country, minus the .0000001% profitting off it).

So actually, you're the fucking retard.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

titlover wrote:Bode Bush for melting you every day of your life. He controls you like Saddam controlled his people.

bode!!!!!!
You're claiming bode based on Bush's alleged "bode"???? :meds:

Jesus Christ Almighty, you Bushies act like cultists.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Justa Heel wrote:
And Iraq was in better shape
Really ? How long did you live there before the war >
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Jesus Christ Almighty, you Bushies act like cultists.
Take it to the Theology Fora, fucko
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Mississippi Neck wrote:Let's see. Saddam and his two sons are rotting in their graves. Bush, who convinced everyone with bogus evidence, to invade Iraq and topple Saddam, is serving his second term in luxurious comfort. Who's laughing again? The corpse? Yea, sure.
Let's see what history has to say about the two parties involved.

How will history treat Saddam?
How will history treat George Bush?
why is my neighborhood on fire
titlover
Eternal Scobode

Post by titlover »

Justa Heel wrote:

bode!!!!!!
Careful, don't melt too hard. You won't be able to pedal around on your little bicycle.
yeah, some melt. :lol:
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

titlover wrote:
Justa Heel wrote:

bode!!!!!!
yeah, some melt. :lol:
Indeed. :lol:
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

mvscal wrote:
Justa Heel wrote:And Iraq was in better shape
I'm sure it was...if you were a Baathist stooge.

Thing is, I was there on the Iraqi border in 1992. I saw the thousands of desperate Iraqis trying to flee Iraq to get away from Sadaam while he was massacring Shiites by the thousands just a few miles up the road. I don't recall seeing you or Robert Scheer there, though.
I’m not sure your presence on the Iraqi border servicing our soliders was really needed to validate the notion that Sadaam was a bad guy. (btw weren’t all those Shiites slaughtered because Chimpy’s Dad’s Admin encouraged them to stage a rebellion with the idea that the U.S. would help them and then pulled a “whoops nevermind” on them before it was too late?)

That’s the whole point, and why he’s having the “last” laugh (only non-idiots who understand the figurative nature of “last laugh” will get some of this, of course). This isn’t exactly a revelation, but the country is now and will continue to be much worse off now that he’s gone, and that means for us too – one, he will not be their to counter Iran’s power; two, ultimately whoever succeeds him will be much worse and won’t hate Muslim fundies like Saddaam did. He’ll BE a Muslim fundie.

Hope those profits were worth it.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Justa Heel wrote:but the country is now and will continue to be much worse off now that he’s gone

Again. How the fuck do you know ? Bring some facts please. Hell, I'll even buy and "I have a friend and he's Iraqi and he says ..... " from you it's more than you've ever brought to the table.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Tom In VA wrote:
Justa Heel wrote:but the country is now and will continue to be much worse off now that he’s gone

Again. How the fuck do you know ? Bring some facts please. Hell, I'll even buy and "I have a friend and he's Iraqi and he says ..... " from you it's more than you've ever brought to the table.
More people in Iraq had electricity and running water while Saddam was in power than presently do.
More children attended school in Iraq while Saddam was in power than presently do.
Crime rate is higher in Iraq now than it was while Saddam was in power.

Note: before my comments are twisted waaaayy out of context, let me state, for the record, that none of this suggests that Saddam was a swell guy. The truth is quite the opposite.* But for many Iraqis, day-to-day life was better when Saddam was in power than it is right now.

* Of course, he was by no means the only, or even the worst, tyrant on the face of the earth. For those who argue that the fact that Saddam was a bad man justifies removing him, why aren't we taking out other tyrants as well?
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Well if that's the case Terry I guess the little shit Heel is right.

Congrats Justa Heel, looks like some of the shit you throw against the wall finally stuck.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

mvscal wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:More people in Iraq had electricity and running water while Saddam was in power than presently do.
More children attended school in Iraq while Saddam was in power than presently do.
Who told you that? Baghdad Bob?
Close....Al Gonzales.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Justa Heel wrote:
And Iraq was in better shape (as was OUR country, minus the .0000001% profitting off it).

Gee, you mean a country was in "better shape" before being destroyed by thousands of 500lb bombs and tomahawk missles? Really? You sure? :meds:

Terry, the only reason why there was a more equitable distribution of utilities during Saddam's reign is that every time the Army Corps of Engineers or a civilian contracting company rebuilds water lines, distribution stations and wire lines, some asshole group of Saddam loyalists blows the shit up.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Then maybe the Iraqis should get up off their fucking asses and do something to improve their situation instead of whining, cowering, hitting pictures with shoes, and blowing shit up. It is no fault but their own that their petty squabbles have left them wallowing in shit. The Kurds seem to be doing just fine rebuilding their portion of the country.
titlover
Eternal Scobode

Post by titlover »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Tom In VA wrote:

More people in Iraq had electricity and running water while Saddam was in power than presently do.

Note: before my comments are twisted waaaayy out of context, let me state, for the record, that none of this suggests that Saddam was a swell guy. The truth is quite the opposite.* But for many Iraqis, day-to-day life was better when Saddam was in power than it is right now.

* Of course, he was by no means the only, or even the worst, tyrant on the face of the earth. For those who argue that the fact that Saddam was a bad man justifies removing him, why aren't we taking out other tyrants as well?
the crime rate in our large cities here in the US is higher than Bahgdad. Should we revert to dictatorship rule to keep those cities in check?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

We already have a dictator, t'lover.

Or so my lefty friends tell me.

Find a new solution.
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

OCmike wrote:
Justa Heel wrote:

Gee, you mean a country was in "better shape" before being destroyed by thousands of 500lb bombs and tomahawk missles?
Yeah, that plus full-blown Civil War.

:meds:
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

titlover wrote:
the crime rate in our large cities here in the US is higher than Bahgdad.
Who told you that, Sheppard Smith?
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Justa Heel wrote: Yeah, that plus full-blown Civil War.

Iraq is in full-blown Civil War-mode because Saddam's brutal oppression and murder squads made life a living hell for Shi'ites to the point that the only thing that kept many of them going was a deep bitter hatred for anything and everything Sunni. So sorry, but you're not going to blame the civil war on Bush as much as you'd like to. That battle was going to be fought sooner or later regardless of what we did in Iraq and the seeds for that battle were planted by your hero, Herr Hussein.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

It's not civil war. It's tit for tat killings by two opposing religious sects, both sides claiming that they are "revenge" killings. If those idiot religious leaders would reign them in, the majority of the trouble over there would end.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

titlover wrote:the crime rate in our large cities here in the US is higher than Bahgdad.
Are you fucking retarded?

There's more murders in a bad day in Baghdad(you might want to learn how to spell the name of the city you're trying to wax your expertise on) than there is in any given month in any US city...

Dumbass. Go ahead and make up more lies to try and make stupid points.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

mvscal wrote:
OCmike wrote:Iraq is in full-blown Civil War-mode
It isn't.
It isn't only if you consider "Civil War" to be two standing armies slugging it out.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

The Iraq military has not declared war, and we're an occupying military force that can't be considered civil by definition. Who is the other "standing army" you're referring to?
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

OCmike wrote:
Justa Heel wrote: Yeah, that plus full-blown Civil War.

Iraq is in full-blown Civil War-mode because Saddam's brutal oppression and murder squads made life a living hell for Shi'ites to the point that the only thing that kept many of them going was a deep bitter hatred for anything and everything Sunni. So sorry, but you're not going to blame the civil war on Bush as much as you'd like to. That battle was going to be fought sooner or later regardless of what we did in Iraq and the seeds for that battle were planted by your hero, Herr Hussein.
No it wasn't. Learn some history of the place.

Those people have hated each for centuries upon centuries. It would seem having a *secular* dictator who can control them and provide a check against Iran is a pretty good thing.

Just wait to see what has taken his place in oh, say 5 years. You'll wish Sadaam was back.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

OCmike wrote:Iraq is in full-blown Civil War-mode because Saddam's brutal oppression and murder squads made life a living hell for Shi'ites to the point that the only thing that kept many of them going was a deep bitter hatred for anything and everything Sunni.
C'mon, Mike, you're smarter than this.

The Sunnis and Shiites have been going at this for several hundred years (at least). No way you can pin the hatred between these two factions exclusively at Saddam's feet.
So sorry, but you're not going to blame the civil war on Bush as much as you'd like to.
Bush doesn't deserve blame for the hatred between Sunnis and Shiites either. What he does deserve blame for, however, is his delusional belief that he could turn Iraq into the land of milk and honey, not to mention U.S.-style democracy, at the barrel of a gun, nevermind all of the history in that region. That was either incredibly arrogant, incredibly stupid, or both.