Raiduhs bid for Culpepper...

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Raiduhs bid for Culpepper...

Post by ChargerMike »

...this just in...The Raiduhs are in serious negotiations with the Dolphins to obtain Duante (I love Randy Moss) Culpepper. I'm not making this shit up! Does this mean Alice put the kybosh on JaMarcus??? or did do they want to bring in another black QB to tudor Russell.

Link??? no link yet, just heard it on the Loose Cannons here in L.A.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Re: Raiduhs bid for Culpepper...

Post by Raydah James »

ChargerMike wrote:...this just in...The Raiduhs are in serious negotiations with the Dolphins to obtain Duante (I love Randy Moss) Culpepper. I'm not making this shit up! Does this mean Alice put the kybosh on JaMarcus??? or did do they want to bring in another black QB to tudor Russell.

And David Carr, and Jake Plummer, and Jeff Garthea.

Until it fucking happens, its all heresay and bullshit rumors.

Since the Texans just cut carr, i'd put my money on him going to the Raiders.

JaMarcus Russell will be a Raider no matter what happens. EOS.
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Raydah James wrote:
ChargerMike wrote:...this just in...The Raiduhs are in serious negotiations with the Dolphins to obtain Duante (I love Randy Moss) Culpepper. I'm not making this shit up! Does this mean Alice put the kybosh on JaMarcus??? or did do they want to bring in another black QB to tudor Russell.

...NOT EXACTLY A RINGING ENDORSEMENT!
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

ChargerMike wrote:
Raydah James wrote:

...NOT EXACTLY A RINGING ENDORSEMENT!
This is egg on the face of the Texans more than anything. They essentially let thier #1 pick get destroyed for many, many years while they flat out refused to get him an O-line.

To me, its nothing more than another fuckup by a shit franchise destined to never accomplish a thing.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

David Carr would be a great pickup for a Raiders. Playing behind the Raiders O line will make him feel like he never left Houston.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

BSmack wrote:David Carr would be a great pickup for a Raiders. Playing behind the Raiders O line will make him feel like he never left Houston.
He's only a busted windshield away from being as good as Roethlisturder.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Culpepper -Moss part II is NOT a direction I'm interested in seeing the Raiduhs go.

Wouldn't see greatness in the future.

I vote no.
Mal
Keepin' it real

Post by Mal »

Kiffin was a coach as Fresno St. while Carr was there so he knows him well.

'Sayin tis all.

And fuck Duante.

As of now potential draft choices aside I'd give Carr a long look with only Andrew Walter on the roster.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Raydah James wrote:
BSmack wrote:David Carr would be a great pickup for a Raiders. Playing behind the Raiders O line will make him feel like he never left Houston.
He's only a busted windshield away from being as good as Roethlisturder.
No rings since 1984 says what?

Seriously, I'd take Ben in a wheelchair on Quaaludes before I'd take any QB on the Raiders roster.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

poptart wrote:Culpepper -Moss part II is NOT a direction I'm interested in seeing the Raiduhs go.

Wouldn't see greatness in the future.

I vote no.
Same here.

As Mal said, Kiff and Carr have a successful history of working together-so I could easily see it happening.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I wouldn't be against D. Carr being a Raider, but I think we still need to find our QB.
I've seen a lot of Carr, and while he's a tough hombre and a real nice kid, I don't believe in him.
If he comes reasonably cheap and we don't have to give up anything substantial pick-wise, then there is no harm in taking him.
Remember, right now we only have one qb on the roster.

Carr hasn't shown enough leadership, IMO, and if there is one thing Oakland has lacked on offense since Rich went down is LEADERSHIP.
It's gotta come from the qb.
We need to find our guy.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

poptart wrote:I wouldn't be against D. Carr being a Raider, but I think we still need to find our QB.
I've seen a lot of Carr, and while he's a tough hombre and a real nice kid, I don't believe in him.
If he comes reasonably cheap and we don't have to give up anything substantial pick-wise, then there is no harm in taking him.
Remember, right now we only have one qb on the roster.

Carr hasn't shown enough leadership, IMO, and if there is one thing Oakland has lacked on offense since Rich went down is LEADERSHIP.
It's gotta come from the qb.
We need to find our guy.
J-Russ baby, J-Russ. :wink:
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Why the Raiders won't draft JaMarcus Russell

From John McClain's entertaining Texans blog comes this nugget:

Houston was forced to include an extra second-round pick in the Matt Schaub deal because Oakland was also bidding for him.

The news makes sense. Schaub played for Oakland coordinator Greg Knapp in Atlanta. Oakland seems willing to adjust their usual vertical offense, as shown by their interest in Jeff Garcia earlier in the offseason.

I don't know what Oakland will do with the number one pick. But I know that they weren't going to draft JaMarcus Russell if they had acquired Schaub.

Rebuilding is a dirty word to Al Davis. He wants to win now, forever and always, regardless of logic. Calvin Johnson is the ultimate Raiders pick, a physical freak who can stretch the field. I've believed that they will draft him first and this news supports my case. He's a safer pick than Russell and he's more likely to help in 2007-2008 seasons. Davis may not have many more years by the looks of things.

There are three veteran quarterbacks with experience currently available that could fit in Oakland: David Carr, Daunte Culpepper, and Trent Green. I would bet that Oakland's Week 1 starter comes from that group. Remember this is a franchise that preferred starting Aaron Brooks last season instead drafting a rookie like Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart.

Kansas City won't trade Green to Oakland, but the Raiders could pursue him if cut. If the Chiefs deal Green to Miami, that would free up Culpepper to move to Oakland. David Carr isn't a great option, but he's an upgrade over the Brooks/Andrew Walter duo last year.

If Russell gets past Oakland, Cleveland will be able to choose either Russell or Brady Quinn as their quarterback of the future with the third pick. The remaining signal caller probably wouldn't get past Minnesota and Miami.

The choice will be Al Davis'. If history is any judge, he'll go against conventional wisdom

-------------------------------------

McClain is sharp, well-connected, and right a hell of a lot more than he is wrong.

Guess we just sit back and see how it all plays out.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

poptart wrote:
McClain is sharp, well-connected, and right a hell of a lot more than he is wrong.

Sorry man, Kiff already let it slip last week that the Raiders "Were investing alot of money in Russell" and were expecting "great things in the future" from him.

The contract is just about done.

I dont really give 2 fucks what a "columnist" thinks-especially since our owner has blown up so many "Mock Drafts" by proving time and again that he'll take whomever the fuck he wants with his picks. The bottom line is this: Al knows he cant go into the season with Waltard and J-Russ as his only QB's. Carr would make sense until they think J-Russ can take the reigns and be successful.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I didn't hear about what Kiffin said.

McClain may or may not be right.
He raises some interesting points though.
Johnson's a safer pick ... by far.
Let's assume Russell 'fails' as an NFL qb.
How much money has Oakland then wasted, and how much have they damaged their salary cap for the future ... ?
And they would have wasted valuable time trying to raise the kid up, because as physically talented as the kid is, he will still take time to hit his stride in the NFL.
I don't know that Al wants to wait, and I also don't know that he wants to take the risk.
These are basically the reasons he's almost always opted to go with a vet qb ...... a known quantity.

I'm not saying I'm personally down on Oakland taking Russell, but I also can't say that I'm totally UP with it like you are, James.
It frankly scares the pee out of me.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

I dont do the "Assume" game.

Frankly, it'd be completely fucking stupid to pass on the best QB prospect since Elway and Manning. (Straight from GM's across the league's mouths)

I think he'll be an excellent QB for many years for us, and will help turn our proud franchise back into a contender for a title again. If he isnt, I know that Al is smart enough to leave himself an "out" in the contract if such a thing were to happen. His past money/contract mistakes have been corrected very quickly, and we have been fortunate enough to not go through a "Cap Hell" type deal like the 9ers, Titans, and Ravens have recently experienced.

And, Sorry, but I dont think Johnson is a "Safe Pick". In fact, I think he'll be a middle of the pack WR his entire career. Rogers, Williams, and Williamson were all WR's in the "tall and fast" Randy mold and have come into the league and been sub-par to say the least. Size and Speed do not equal success.

Remember our last "Safe Pick"?

Professional turnstile Robert Fucking Gallery.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Your points are all vailid and defensible, James.
I think a strong case can be made for drafting either guy.

I can't say I agree that Johnson will be a middle of the pack NFL receiver though.

What makes you think that ... ?
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

poptart wrote:
I can't say I agree that Johnson will be a middle of the pack NFL receiver though.

Because all i've heard before each and every draft recently is the "Randy Moss-like Speed, size, and incredible hands" of top draft choices Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, and Rogers.

None of those fucks has lived up to his "billing" as a "cant miss WR prospect".

The same hype is surrounding Johnson for this draft.

Guess we'll see who's right in a few years, huh?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

This puts the Lions in an interesting position. If the Raiders get a veteran QB and draft Johnson...do the Lions keep their pick and take Russell or trade down? The rumblings up here have been about them looking to trade down. If another team wants Russell at #2, the Lions appear to be listening to offers. One player isn't going to make them better overnight so why not move the pick to get more pieces.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

poptart wrote:
Seems like most of the top pro WR were not first round draft picks -
Look at this years pro bowl for an example:
Andre Johnson, HOU Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Donald Driver, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, Roy Williams, Torry Holt -

Of this group I think only Andre Johnson, Roy Williams and Tory Holt were first rounders.
In the last 30 years the only Overall # 1 WR selections were Irving Fryar (NE 84) and MeShawn for the Jets in 96.

Here's a list of every overall # 1 since 1970

1970 *Terry Bradshaw, qb Louisana Tech Pittsburgh 14 3
1971 Jim Plunkett, qb Stanford New England 15 0
1972 Walt Patulski, dt Notre Dame Buffalo 5 0
1973 John Matuszak, de Tampa Houston 9 0
1974 Ed 'Too Tall' Jones, de Tennessee State Dallas 15 3
1975 Steve Bartkowski, qb California Atlanta 12 2
1976 *Lee Roy Selmon, de Oklahoma Tampa Bay 9 6
1977 Ricky Bell, rb Southern Cal Tampa Bay 6 0
1978 *Earl Campbell, rb Texas Houston 8 5
1979 Tom Cousineau, lb Ohio State Buffalo 6 0
1980 Billy Sims, rb Oklahoma Detroit 5 3
1981 George Rogers, rb South Carolina New Orleans 7 2
1982 Kenneth Sims, dt Texas New England 8 0
1983 *John Elway, qb Stanford Baltimore 16 10
1984 Irving Fryar, wr Nebraska New England 15 5
1985 Bruce Smith, de Virginia Tech Buffalo 18 11
1986 Bo Jackson, rb Auburn Tampa Bay 4 1
1987 Vinny Testaverde, qb Miami, (Fla.) Tampa Bay 20 2
1988 Aundray Bruce, lb Auburn Atlanta 11 0
1989 Troy Aikman, qb UCLA Dallas 12 6
1990 Jeff George, qb Illinois Indianapolis 13 0
1991 Russell Maryland, dt Miami, (Fla.) Dallas 10 1
1992 Steve Emtman, dt Washington Indianapolis 8 0
1993 Drew Bledsoe, qb Washington State New England 14 4
1994 Dan Wilkinson, dt Ohio State Cincinnati 13 0
1995 Ki-Jana Carter, rb Penn State Cincinnati 8 0
1996 Keyshawn Johnson, wr Southern Cal. N.Y. Jets 11 4
1997 Orlando Pace, ot Ohio State St. Louis Rams 10 7
1998 Peyton Manning, qb Tennessee Indianapolis 9 7
1999 Tim Couch, qb Kentucky Cleveland 6 0
2000 Courtney Brown, de Penn State Cleveland 7 0
2001 Michael Vick, qb Virginia Tech Atlanta 6 3
2002 David Carr, qb Fresno State Houston 5 0
2003 Carson Palmer, qb Southern Cal. Cincinnati 4 2
2004 Eli Manning, qb Mississippi San Diego 3 0
2005 Alex Smith, qb Utah San Francisco 2 0
2006 Mario Williams, de N. Carolina State Houston 1 0
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Love that 2001 pick...

sin. Chargerfan :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Raydah James wrote:
poptart wrote:

Sorry man, Kiff already let it slip last week that the Raiders "Were investing alot of money in Russell" and were expecting "great things in the future" from him.

The contract is just about done.

I dont really give 2 fucks what a "columnist" thinks-especially since our owner has blown up so many "Mock Drafts" by proving time and again that he'll take whomever the fuck he wants with his picks. The bottom line is this: Al knows he cant go into the season with Waltard and J-Russ as his only QB's. Carr would make sense until they think J-Russ can take the reigns and be successful.

Not to worry James..Alice just picked up Josh Booty... :shock: :D :shock: :D :shock:
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

What that list demonstrates is that a #1 overall is possible to disappoint regardless of the position.

Just adds more fuel to the trade down fire.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

poptart wrote:
Just adds more fuel to the trade down fire.
I'd be fine with that too if we get Carr.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

According to NFL network on Sirius, the Raiduhs are starting to get cold feet regarding JaMarcus Russell because of his reported poor work ethic and his already yo-yo-ing weight. Supposedly they are looking at drafting Calvin Johnson #1, and trading him to Tampa for draft picks and Jeff Garcia.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

OCmike wrote:According to NFL network on Sirius, the Raiduhs are starting to get cold feet regarding JaMarcus Russell because of his reported poor work ethic and his already yo-yo-ing weight.
You know better than this.

Al is a fucking madman come draft time, and nobody knows what he is going to do. Nobody.

I said it earlier, and i'll say it again: Davis has blown up so many mock drafts over the years (including mine) that nothing would shock me at this point. I honestly do think Carr would be a very good pickup for the veteran experience and toughness factor alone. He has strong ties with Kiff, so I hope to see a deal done soon.

From there, its all guesswork-and as long as Quinn isnt part of the draft day madness for the silver and black, i'll be happy.

The last part of your post doesnt warrant a response. Period.

Oh, and fuck your avatard too, asshole. :wink:
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

James is right about Al being unpredictable in his drafting pattern.
Aside from the given, that is, that he'll draft at least one reeeeeeeeeally fast guy who nobody thinks is worth a shit.

A few weeks ago I was thinking Oakland would probably draft Russell, but as I've thought more about it I am thinking not.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

OCmike wrote: Supposedly they are looking at drafting Calvin Johnson #1, and trading him to Tampa for draft picks and Jeff Garcia.

No thanks. The Bucs need to sit where they are and hope Joe Thomas falls to them. If not, trade down and get Alan Branch.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Raydah James wrote:
poptart wrote:

Because all i've heard before each and every draft recently is the "Randy Moss-like Speed, size, and incredible hands" of top draft choices Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, and Rogers.

None of those fucks has lived up to his "billing" as a "cant miss WR prospect".

The same hype is surrounding Johnson for this draft.

Guess we'll see who's right in a few years, huh?
Sure, but how many QBs have gottent the same hype and become complete busts. You can draft Pyeton Manning, Micheal Vick, David Carr or Tim Couch. The problem is, you don't want to be the guy who passed on Peyton Manning, so do you risk drafting Tim Couch?
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

That's right.
When you look at Scott's list you see Keyshawn and I. Fryar as the only receivers chosen #1 overall.
While you may say that these guys were 'disappointments' as #1 overalls, Fryar made 5 pro bowls and Keyshawn has made 3.
It's likely, IMO, that Calvin Johnson will be at least a very good NFL receiver.
A qb, on the other hand, is much more likely to be a complete waste.
Reason being, there are many more 'intangibles' that go into playing qb than wr.

Bottom line is taking Johnson would be a safer choice.

My dream scenario for Oakland is for them to trade down a spot or two and land Johnson.
Also, trade Moss and a pick to move up again into the upper portion of rd 1 and land B. Quinn.
Quinn is more NFL ready than Russell, and may actually pan out to be better over the long haul.

Dreams ............