Has any team went to the Final 4 and not made the NIT?

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Don't you have like 13 other teams you pimp to fall back on?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

We feel your pain, Chip.

Sin,

George Mason

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/collegeba ... ewable_nit

In fairness to LSU, they might have made the NIT if not for a few rule changes. First, the NIT went back to 32 teams this year, whereas they had had 40 the last few years. Second, a rule change last year gave automatic NIT bids to any team that won its regular-season conference championship and failed to earn a NCAA bid. That rule change gave automatic bids this year to 8 teams: Mississippi Valley State, Toledo, Delaware State, Marist, Austin Peay, Vermont, East Tennessee State, and South Alabama. Without it, imho only Toledo and Vermont would have even been in contention for an NIT berth.

To answer your question, I'm almost positive it's happened before, but I can't cite any examples off the top of my head.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Jsc810 wrote:I'll find a bandwagon to get on.

If you die anytime soon (one can dream, right?)... I promise to use this in my Sig file to honor you.

With UConn sucking arse this year, I doubt I'll even be watching the NCAA Tournament. Good thing I am getting married the weekend of the Final Four. It'll give me something to do...
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Plenty of room on the Hoya wagon.

All Aboard!!!!!
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

DallasFanatic wrote:Plenty of room on the Hoya wagon.

All Aboard!!!!!
I'm a Notre Dame fan first and foremost, but I'll also be rooting for Georgetown in the NCAA tournament (at least until they play ND, which won't come to pass, if at all, until the national championship game).

It's not about bandwagoning, but conference loyalty, in my case.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Vandy baby. the alma mater. Sooners are always number one.....and Vandy is cute sometimes (sports were a major yawn when i was there, no one cared...at all...it wasn't even something you thought about. i went a few hoops games but only 2 football games after going to Oklahoma games for 10 years......and it was pretty sad. what's the point of abusing a variety of substances to sit 20,000 people and watch Watson Brown lose to Tulane--Tulane students, serious drinkers....i was amazed.....not quite LSU fan.....but pretty impressive to my young eyes. Norman High football games had more on-the-field flava). though, Vandy had some deece hoops squads when i was there under CM Newton.

Vandy (away from home)=one and done.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

fucking vandy. fuck kevin stallings. fuck mario moore. still bitter about 04.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Didn't the same thing happen to Duke the year after Grant Hill left and K missed the season with back problems? They were runner-up against Arkansas and then had a losing record the next year I think.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:Didn't the same thing happen to Duke the year after Grant Hill left and K missed the season with back problems? They were runner-up against Arkansas and then had a losing record the next year I think.
hip surgery for K, no?

Corliss Williamson was a really good/great college player (kind of a poor man's UNLV Larry Johnson, which is a complete complement from me!)....i was surprised to see him getting time with Sacramento the other afternoon in the Nuggets-Kings game.

props to Corliss to sticking around. he might even be older than me.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

K has had both hips replaced, but those surgeries happened later. 94-95 was the back surgery.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

92 was the year Arkansas won it all, is that right?
"
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

King Crimson wrote:92 was the year Arkansas won it all, is that right?

And they made the final in '95, losing to UCLA. That was Williamson's senior season, i think.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

thanks degenerate. man, i'm getting old. i was having a great time back then working in the restaurant industry, screwing hot waitresses...

to quote the great Kinks: where have all the good times gone?
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Going back to the original topic in this thread, of last year's Final Four, two made a return trip, and the other two missed the NIT this season.

If that's ever happened before, I can't remember it.