25 Years Ago Tuesday

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

25 Years Ago Tuesday

Post by Cross Traffic »

Do you believe in miracles? YES!!!

Tuesday marks the 25th anniversary of the Miracle on Ice. I don't recall seeing it on TV when it happened, but everytime I see it on TV, it still gives me goosebumps.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

It was on tape delay. The dumbshits at ABC thought we would be more interested in seeing pairs bisexual ice dancing instead of our national hockey team in the medal round. Fuckin assholes.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Damn you, now we really feel old.

Sin,

Al Michaels and Ken Dryden.

I remember seeing that game as well as the 72 Summit series. Probably the 2 most famous games of our generation.
In 72 they rolled TVs' into most of the classrooms for all of us to watch the game. And like you with MoI, to this day when I hear Foster Hewitt's "Here's a shot. Henderson makes a wild stab for it and falls. Here's another shot. Right in front. They Score! Henderson has scored for Canada!" it gives me goosebumps.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

ESPN showed the third period of the game on Sunday...seeing that never gets old. 8)

Eruzione scores! Mike Eruzione!
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I can still remember to this day watching that game with the family in every detail. It is, and will always be, the greatest triumph of any kind in our lifetime.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

ESPN actually showed the whole game, minus some in the interest of time. My daughter was amazed by my knack for knowing when the next goal would be scored :D

Rack Dryden for still being dead on when he said the Russians didn't have much practice at pulling their goalie.
AcidQueen
Pit-Fighter

Post by AcidQueen »

Heh--and I'm at home sick on my couch again, just like I was 25 years ago....except this time the couch is on the opposite side of the continent and my TV is in color rather than black and white. Well, that and I'm obviously no longer 9 years old.
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
ESRB NOTICE: Online Experience May Change During Game Play
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

shit,i feel really old after remembering that...

i was 12 years old when that happened...
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

I was 15 when it happened......I'd love to get a tape of the entire game for my kids to show them what can happen when you work hard as a team......
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Laxplayer wrote:I was 15 when it happened......I'd love to get a tape of the entire game for my kids to show them what can happen when you work hard as a team......
I'd love to get a copy of that as well. It would have been sweet if there was a second DVD in Miracle that carried the entire game.

RACK Herb and his Boys!
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Laxplayer wrote:I was 15 when it happened......I'd love to get a tape of the entire game for my kids to show them what can happen when you work hard as a team......
I'd love to get a copy of that as well. It would have been sweet if there was a second DVD in Miracle that carried the entire game.

RACK Herb and his Boys!
Considering that the game was aired on ABC and Miracle was a Disney movie, that should have been an automatic slam dunk of an idea.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

BSmack wrote:Considering that the game was aired on ABC and Miracle was a Disney movie, that should have been an automatic slam dunk of an idea.
Exactly. Even if they charged another $20 for the bonus disc it would still have sold well, if not better.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:
BSmack wrote:Considering that the game was aired on ABC and Miracle was a Disney movie, that should have been an automatic slam dunk of an idea.
Exactly. Even if they charged another $20 for the bonus disc it would still have sold well, if not better.

I'd buy it for sure. You're lucky to see it once on Classic per year and not every one has Classic. I surely wish that someday that someone would release classic games sans commercials on DVD. I see the NFL is releasing a Super Bowl box set...I wonder if that has the whole games on that. The Red Wings were supposedly going to release mini-box set of 3 or 4 of their most popular games. You were able to vote on the games a while back but I haven't seen anything about the project since.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

What kids will never be able to understand is the political and social climate in which that game took place. I was 12 years old and there was a serious lack of confidence in America and I really remember after that win thinking, "Dammit! We're the Big Dog!"
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

The Superbowl sets are the same half hour retrospectives that are shown on Espn2 every January. Some of the early ones are poorly done (Superbowl 3 with the lame "Unitas tries a comeback with 1 minute left down by 9.", instead of showing the Jets kicking the Colts asses)
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

btw-go to NYtimes.com and check out the story on what happened with the soviets after that.

meltdown city
btw-use this for free access
http://www.bugmenot.com
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Thanks for the link!

The book looks like an interesting read, definitely will pick it up. 121 vodka bottles?!?! Do find it interesting that Tikhonov was pissed at Tretiak after the second goal, the Soviet D were taking it easy as Johnson skated right by them.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

We bring this up every year and it never gets old. Neither do any interviews of Eruzione, Craig, etc. I've got the whole thing on tape, but the "Miracle"/Whole game DVD set is a genius idea. I'd almost stand in line.

THIS is what got me into hockey in the first place. A few weeks before the 2002 Olympics, I was able to meet Herb Brooks, who was in Dallas making a decision on Derian Hatcher for a defenseman position on the team. Normally I leave guys like this alone but had to at least shake hands.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Mustang wrote:We bring this up every year and it never gets old. Neither do any interviews of Eruzione, Craig, etc. I've got the whole thing on tape, but the "Miracle"/Whole game DVD set is a genius idea. I'd almost stand in line.

THIS is what got me into hockey in the first place. A few weeks before the 2002 Olympics, I was able to meet Herb Brooks, who was in Dallas making a decision on Derian Hatcher for a defenseman position on the team. Normally I leave guys like this alone but had to at least shake hands.
I remember reading somewhere (so you know it must be true) that the reason the game is not on any DVD, at least for ABC is that they do not have the rights to a 'theatrical' presentation which would include DVD and VHS. The IOC or whomever has those rights.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:The IOC or whomever has those rights.
Let's get on the horn with these people to get it on DVD.