my latest pet peeve

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

helmet
Elwood

my latest pet peeve

Post by helmet »

Offensive players taking the ball out of the net after a made basket, and then either batting it to the baseline or throwing it to the official. Just let it go through and get back on D. I think I once saw a ref warn a team about doing this, but now it seems like everyone does it. Or maybe I'm just noticing it more now that it bothers me.

Go Hoos, by the way.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

I agree. Fucking Hokies are down by 10, but still feel the need to swat the ball to the ref. How about getting back and playing some D you assheads? I thought the rule used to be one warning and then a technical for each subsequent infraction.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

you pay too much attention to the game. Didn't think that was possible until now.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If'n I'm not mistaken, it's illegal to intentionally touch the ball after it goes in the hoop. 1 warning, and T's for all subsequent offenses. Very rarely enforced, except when Phoenix informs the refs before the game that they're going to run off of made FGs, and want to rule enforced.

I believe the NCAA rule is the same(without looking it up), but I don't recall ever seeing it called...ever. Seen it in the NBA, never NCAA.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

it used to be an automatic basket like goal tending (or maybe a T?) if you touched the net while a shot was in the air.....you don't ever see that called.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote:it used to be an automatic basket like goal tending (or maybe a T?) if you touched the net while a shot was in the air.....you don't ever see that called.

See it all the time in the NBA...but again, I don't recall ever seeing it called in NCAA ball.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

my newest pet peeve.

These guys seem to be allowed to take three steps ALL the time. What's up with that?

Not only that, they are now letting them jump TWICE before shooting as long as the first juimp is a small one!
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Dinsdale wrote:If'n I'm not mistaken, it's illegal to intentionally touch the ball after it goes in the hoop.
Think Dins is right.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:If'n I'm not mistaken, it's illegal to intentionally touch the ball after it goes in the hoop.
Think Dins is right.
But again, I don't ever recall it being called in NCAA. See it quite a bit in the NBA...so long as the guy who touches the ball doesn't have a shoe contract.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

It's called, but very rarely. The intent of the rule is to not have the scoring team delay the opposing team from getting the ball thus allowing the scoring team to set their D up. So IMO the refs aren't calling anything when the scoring team gets the ball directly to a ref or to the baseline spot for inbounding because while technically a violation of the rule it isn't violating the intent of the rule. About 2-3 times a year I'll see a warning given though.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Mine's a TV broadcast thing ... (shocking, I know)

Namely CBS. They had a segment at halftime of the Tex-KU game today where Seth Davis was picking the four teams who were in the "Final Four" and four teams who were out of the "Final Four." The last time I checked, it's called the NCAA tournament, not the "Final Four," at least not until the third weekend of the tourney. How stupid does CBS think its audience is?
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I still can't stand the alternating possession rule on tie-ups. Just jump the damn thing...
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Agree, Shoalz. That is a horseshit rule. Sort of like stopping the clock after a first down in CF.

Oh, but you have to be fair, they're just kids!

:meds:
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.