LOTS of smoke coming from Lexington

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Shine
Leads all Lists

LOTS of smoke coming from Lexington

Post by Shine »

We'll see if there's a firing to soon join the smoke. Hearing lots, and I mean LOTS, of talk that Tubby Smith is going to have his contract bought out and be done at season's end.

Something to keep an eye on.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

he was never a choice for many of ky fans

he could of won 5 titles and still been unwanted.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Okay, great, fine. Just stay away from Thad Matta dammit.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Let the Billy D to Tucky rumors begin(from Tucky fans).
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I know there is a slim to none chance Billy D leaves FLA but you think he might dial up Rick Pitino and ask him if the Kentucky job comes open if he should take it? I know Billy is building a great program at FLA but the chance to coach at one of the BLUE BLOOD programs ala

UCLA
UNC
DUKE
Kentucky (obviously)

interesting if Tubby gets fired...word is (again pure speculation) that he could end up with the Bobcats here in Charlotte, Bickerstaff is an idiot...
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I dont think Billy D would leave, but Roy Williams left a great program at Kansas to go back to uNC.

It's happened before, so I wouldnt be shocked.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

I'd also speculate that UK might go after Gillespie. agree that Bickerstaff is an idiot, he nearly ran the Nuggets into eternal 20 game win seasons or less status in the mid-late 90's.

i've heard Heath is out at Arkansas, that's a proud program with a lot of walmart $$$.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Gillespie has said time and again that as long as he feels A&M is doing everything in its power to build the basketball program, he is going nowhere. He wants nothing to do with the NBA. A&M can pay him whatever he wants...and they will if he keeps this up.

After the Kansas game in the post game on court interview, the chick reporter had a hold of his arm while talking to him. She mentioned how he was completely shaking and he was almost crying as he said how happy he was for those kids and how they deserved everythign they are getting. That tells me something. Until he Sabans or Frans, I am going to believe him.

And if he does leave, I wish him the best. I've been a loyal A&M fan through Tony Barone and Melvin Watkins. This has been a great run. I hope it continues, but if not, I will have been thankful for what we had. And hopefully, the next coach we get will see that A&M is a good place to coach and maybe we can do it again.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:I know there is a slim to none chance Billy D leaves FLA but you think he might dial up Rick Pitino and ask him if the Kentucky job comes open if he should take it? I know Billy is building a great program at FLA but the chance to coach at one of the BLUE BLOOD programs ala

UCLA
UNC
DUKE
Kentucky (obviously)

interesting if Tubby gets fired...word is (again pure speculation) that he could end up with the Bobcats here in Charlotte, Bickerstaff is an idiot...
Why would Billy D leave history in the making....he's the Rupp right now, the Dean Smith of Florida, the Bobby Knight of Indiana....Billy is creating tradition as he goes along. He is a God in G-ville. He is paid like one. Why go to a disgruntled fan base? Then, the talent there is not very good so you are looking at 2-3 years minimum to get your players in place to run your system.

It won't happen.

T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

ps 4 or 5 years ago? Oh yeah, maybe. Now? hell no.

WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Make Tubby an offer.

UMfan.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

if you would have bothered to read my post...I SAID SLIM TO NONE...the only thing I made mention was coaching one of the blue blood programs...you know like in College football when they mention oh the top 5-8 jobs they always seem to revolve around...schools like ND, Michigan, tOSU, Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, USC...same thing in basketball most coaches know that UNC, DUKE, UCLA, Kentucky are the BLUE BLOOD programs...

again I'll repeat it I SAID SLIM TO NONE since he was already building his tradition at FLA...

I guess I might need to type everything in bold and caps...

Tubby in Ann Arbor...woah that would be something...the Big 10 would have some deece coaches nothing rivals say the ACC or Big East but to have Tubby with Izzo, Sampson and Matta...wow...that would be some good coaching talent...

and before SEC fan or whomever gets their panties in a wad yes the ACC with Gary Williams, Roy, K, Prosser is pretty strong as is the Big East with Pitino, Calhoun, and Boeheim...

Steve...tOSU finishes with UM this Saturday...hopefully the bucks don't lose focus...good luck...
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

No caps....just defending the ridiculousness of the statement.

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

how is it ridiculous? even when I said slim to none...i mean a chance to coach a blue blood program don't think for one second that a coach wouldn't think of it no matter what...

I mean if Roy went to UNC from KU where he had it made...things can happen and change...

but I will maintain I said slim to none and even said he is building tradition at UF...so I agree I think it would be 99.99999999% certain he would stay...

but I do echo the comment of stay away from Matta...
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

The Billy D to UK rumors by UK fans started the millisecond there was some heat to the rumor Tubby would be gone. Seriously I know every fanbase has their delusional segment but the UK delusional segment borders on the majority. They were even talking about Bill Self leaving KU for UK. Oh yeah, and Izzo. Simpy crazy.

As for Billy D take this for whatever it's worth, which is likely very little. Heard from a well placed source within the IU BOT that last year a handshake deal was done between IU and Billy D. The only thing that would have killed it was a deep run by UF in the tourney. Of course UF won it all and per this guy that meant Billy D felt he couldn't leave.

In terms of Matta, he'll be at tO$U for the foreseeable future. IU missed their shot at him when they kept POS Davis around too long. Matta would have bolted in a heartbeat for the IU gig but the window of opportunity closed and with the studs Matta had lined up he wasn't leaving. So now that the only 2 college jobs Matta would leave tO$U for (IU and PU) won't be in need of a coach for quite some time, Matta is staying put.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Shine wrote:
As for Billy D take this for whatever it's worth, which is likely very little. Heard from a well placed source within the IU BOT that last year a handshake deal was done between IU and Billy D. The only thing that would have killed it was a deep run by UF in the tourney. Of course UF won it all and per this guy that meant Billy D felt he couldn't leave.
I have a super hard time believing this....not because I'm a Gator but because Billy has been building(with a lot of support from fans, students, alumni, administration, etc) something in G-ville. He is PAID too. It would be interesting to know what his buyout is/was......

The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

If I were the AD at Kentucky, I'd give serious looks at Seth Greenberg and Bennett at Washington St....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

the SIU coach will get some looks from somebody....the Salukis are kinda turning into the Tulsa of the 90's....the coaching stepping stone. and Stallings at my alma mater Vandy might get some love from someone.

those are both good suggestions Seer, not sure the Kentucky fan base would get too excited about either...but they are weird.

I've always thought Greenberg was a good coach, but not sure about him as a UK "guy".
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

yeah, after years underachieving and mediocrity, greenberg is finally finding some success. someone throw $50 million at him. :meds:
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

I'd wait to see if the Hokies shit the bed to a double digit seed in Round 1 before giving Seth any serious consideration.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Yeah, no way Greenberg is a UK guy. But I'm not sure if any of the people who are available are UK guys. I'm sure the usual suspects will thrown around....Majerus, Lavin, etc - but who knows what will happen.

I don't know enough about Donovan to know whether he thinks of UK as his dream job, but I do know he's got a sweet deal at Florida and it would be hard to leave behind.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

lavin? if lavin got the UK job i'd go live in the mountains and eat berries and pine needles and swear off college basketball. either that or watch all their game and LMAO.

as little effort as Majerus gives to calling a game, i think he's in cheeseburger paradise and not even an option to coach again.

they think they can get anyone. I don't see Donavon moving in conference. he's the guy at UF. they've had some good teams before with Kruger and whoever else but Billy is the guy. now, from what i KNOW from some people privvy to some of the comments made after the after season coaches conference....there are a lot of coaches who think Donovan and Calipari are among the dirtiest recruiters. they were "unnamed" but it was pretty obvious.

now, don't freak out UF fan. i'm just saying i've heard this direct from someone who attended the coaches conference a couple times within the OU AD. may be true may be not true.

at which point, you'd be proper to point out that the head of the coaches conference ethics committee was Kelvin Sampson.

if Donovan wants to follow Pitino his whole career than maybe it's UK. i just don't see it.
"
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

We might need a new coach after this season. Tubby wouldn't be a bad hire by any means.

BTW, I laughed at the though of Seth going to UK. We'll see how good of a Coach he is once Dowdell, Washington, and Collins are gone. not sure if Gordon is a senior or not.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

MuchoBulls wrote:BTW, I laughed at the though of Seth going to UK. We'll see how good of a Coach he is once Dowdell, Washington, and Collins are gone. not sure if Gordon is a senior or not.
Seth's backcourt will be gone, Dowdell and Gordon are seniors. Collins is also a senior. Washington, however, is a junior and Vasallo is a sophmore, but he plays more of guard/forward.
The backcourt next year will be young, but the team should be servicable inside. The homers keep talking up the recent recruiting classes, but that is what homers do. Next season will be Greenberg's real test as to whether he has turned this program around.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

stuckinia wrote:Next season will be Greenberg's real test as to whether he has turned this program around.
That's what I have been thinking. I know you have one highly rated guy coming in, but VT is losing a good deal.
Dreams......Temporary Madness