OSU does not equal #1

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Sky
It stinks like sex in here

OSU does not equal #1

Post by Sky »

Why is tOSU ranked #1 in any poll? I know that bball rankings are more fluid than football but how can anyone rank tOSU ahead of UNC, UF, or Wiscy when they lost to all three of those teams?

Especially after they looked like crap against Penn St.

I don't agree with the ranking but I also don't want the ranking. Prior to Wiscy losing last night I was almost hoping for a loss on Sunday. Yes it would be great to win the Big 10 title but I think it would cost us down the line. I hoped a loss would bring the team ego down a little bit before heading into the tourney. However, the down side to that was having to be a 2 seed in the South w/ FL.

Now the Wiscy lost and tOSU is a half game up it looks great either way. We should be back to back regular season champs and a win probably gets us a one see in the Midwest while a loss (hopefully) makes us sharper for the tourney.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I totally agree. If anything, we shouldn't be ranked ahead of Florida. We at least played Wisky & UNC close at their cribs, but got run outta the gym in Gainesville. I'm with you Sky-- I could care less how the rest of the season shakes out for OSU. Nobody remembers conference titles five years from now. Throw in the conference tourney title, and it just makes the regular season title more insignificant (and vice versa). The big dance is all that matters in CBB. The regular season & conference tourneys make for somewhat interesting drama, but are no more than games played for seed positioning and general team improvement before the brackets come out.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

agree...

but I would like another shot at UNC or FLA with a healthy Oden...

true FLA did run us out of the gym but that game was tied when Oden went to the bench and all hell broke loose...

if I had my dream I would love to mow down DUKE, UNC, and FLA in the tourney...but hey I'll take as many tourney wins as we can get...

if oden comes back watch out next year with that recruiting class...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i'm just glad i didn't start my "props to Wisconsin" thread over the weekend. since, i may be biased but i've always thought Wiscy and Alvarez were so consistently overrated for the better part of a decade in football.

so, Wiscy has a great stadium, a great conference, a great college town, and great fan support (which you hear all the time in the national media).....how can Alvarez always be doing more with less for 10 years (which you also hear in the national media)?

and the national media sucks out loud, don't get me wrong.

it's a personal bias i admit. but i was going to give it up to Bo Ryan and crew. and then Sparty and Izzo bring them back to planet earth.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Sky

Post by Sky »

Check this shit out. Wiscy gets ranked #1 on Monday. They then release this T-shirt.

The shirt says
"#1
Nationally Ranked
AP Poll Feb 19th 2007
Wisconsin
Basketball"

Then, about 24 hours later they lose. Hell, the shirts wouldn't ship until today 2/21 so they lost before anyone even received their shirt. Its pathetic enough to make a t-shirt touting your #1 mid-season ranking let alone losing 24 hours later before the shirts go out.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

You have to understand, it’s the first time they’ve ever been ranked #1. I’d probably order one if they changed it to read

"#1
Nationally Ranked
AP Poll from
Feb 19th 2007 --
To
Feb 26th 2007
Wisconsin
Basketball--
Crazy times!"
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Goober McTuber wrote:You have to understand, it’s the first time they’ve ever been ranked #1. I’d probably order one if they changed it to read

"#1
Nationally Ranked
AP Poll from
Feb 19th 2007 --
To
Feb 26th 2007
Wisconsin
Basketball--
Crazy times!"
:lol:
“Hey! You scratched my anchor!”
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Records against top 25 ranked teams (ranked when the games were played):

OSU: 1-3
UW: 3-0
FLA: 4-1
UCLA: 8-1

You make the call.

(of course that means that Wisconsin has lost to 3 unranked teams and UCLA and FLA have lost to 2 each)
Sky

Post by Sky »

Mikey wrote:Records against top 25 ranked teams (ranked when the games were played):

You make the call.

(of course that means that Wisconsin has lost to 3 unranked teams and UCLA and FLA have lost to 2 each)
Both good points but none of this really matters...as long as you are on of the 65 teams you have a shot.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Sky wrote:...as long as you are on of the 65 teams you have a shot.
that's pretty much true, ain't it.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Yeah, I was pretty pleased to have Wisky ranked #1, but not really too concerned about it one way or the other. The tournament and how you are playing at that time are all that matters.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:agree...

but I would like another shot at UNC or FLA with a healthy Oden...
Even when Oden was in the game Horford abused him. At this point in their young careers, Horford is the more skilled player down low. I would imagine that once Oden develops his inside game more he will pass Horford skill wise. But right now I would take a rematch with OSU in a second. I think we run them off the court again.

UNC and Georgetown are the two teams that actually might pose some problems.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

perhaps but at the time Oden went out the game was tied...we had no inside answer at that time in the season...now with Hunter blossoming and Oden playing and getting better and more comfortable it would be an interesting game...

plus Conley is playing lights out at the point and Cook is starting to hit his stride...I think it would be a great game as the first one was until early part of the 2nd half...

UNC, tOSU hung with with no Oden so it could be a different game...G Town abused tOSU last year due to their sheer size...you are correct they could pose problems...

I saw Lunardi's brackets on ESPN.com and he had tOSU and FLA in the South and that bracket was loaded...

good times coming up....
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Conley is a stud. I think the one thing Oden wouldn't do to the Gators that he does vs other teams is intimidate. There wouldn't be that factor. All five Gators average double figures. All could go for 20+ on any given night. They defend and Brewer may be the best defender in the country.

Not talking smack but teams returning talent like this come along once every 10-15 years. Over-confidence? Vandy fixed that. I expect them to be business-like for the rest of the year.

Soon.....soon.....

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

^^^^^^

agree on your point about that talent...woah...(again I can't stand Noah but that is my own personal opinion)...

but you are correct they are battle tested and should be ready to roll...

I think tOSU will be ok come tourney time but they had a hard time with PSU twice in the last two weeks...who knows if they were looking ahead to Sunday...but I know Matta was scratching his head that Oden only got 9 shots...I think the guys on the perimeter need to pass up a look now and again and get it to oden...I think Oden and Hunter down low now could pose some problems to FLA...not saying anything negative or bad about FLA's front court...they are studs but it would definitely be more interesting this time around...

Conley is playing some damn good ball now...
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Sky wrote:Check this shit out. Wiscy gets ranked #1 on Monday. They then release this T-shirt.

The shirt says
"#1
Nationally Ranked
AP Poll Feb 19th 2007
Wisconsin
Basketball"

Then, about 24 hours later they lose. Hell, the shirts wouldn't ship until today 2/21 so they lost before anyone even received their shirt. Its pathetic enough to make a t-shirt touting your #1 mid-season ranking let alone losing 24 hours later before the shirts go out.

stupid football school.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:^^^^^^

agree on your point about that talent...woah...(again I can't stand Noah but that is my own personal opinion)...

but you are correct they are battle tested and should be ready to roll...

I think tOSU will be ok come tourney time but they had a hard time with PSU twice in the last two weeks...who knows if they were looking ahead to Sunday...but I know Matta was scratching his head that Oden only got 9 shots...I think the guys on the perimeter need to pass up a look now and again and get it to oden...I think Oden and Hunter down low now could pose some problems to FLA...not saying anything negative or bad about FLA's front court...they are studs but it would definitely be more interesting this time around...

Conley is playing some damn good ball now...
The backcourt play of Green is what will take them far.

Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

T REX wrote:
buckeye_in_sc wrote:
And maybe, just maybe Kansas might pose a problem or two......
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Mook wrote:
T REX wrote:
buckeye_in_sc wrote:
Brewer was not 100% and lost in OT vs Kansas in the beginning of the year.

I have them circled and there is nothing better than evening up that score. If KU fan wants to play UF in a rematch in the tourney??????? You must be joking.

Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I think Kansas can take the whole thing. They remind me of Florida last year.
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

T REX wrote:
Mook wrote:
T REX wrote: UNC and Georgetown are the two teams that actually might pose some problems.
Brewer was not 100% and lost in OT vs Kansas in the beginning of the year.

I have them circled and there is nothing better than evening up that score. If KU fan wants to play UF in a rematch in the tourney??????? You must be joking.
Sherron Collins didn't even play...........Kaun didn't play.........UF wasn't the only team a little shorthanded.

And yes, KU fan would welcome a rematch with Florida........Why would I be joking, KU has already beat Florida. However, a rematch with Oral Roberts might be problematic.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

come on mook...FLA is the greatest how dare you try and come up with a rebuttal...
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:come on mook...FLA is the greatest how dare you try and come up with a rebuttal...
UF lost by two in Vegas at basically a pro-KU arena.

Self vs Donovan? In March? yeah right.

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

^^^^^^^

so now you getting a little full of yourself? remember what happened during football season...you and many people alike gave FLA no chance and look what happened...

Donovan made a nice run with his team last year they were a #4 seed right? They got hot and played awesome ball at the right time...no one is taking that away from you

but what I can't understand is when someone offers up a rebuttal or some of the same logic you apply it goes right to FLA has the greatest this and Billy is the greatest and what not...

you have done it consistently...if Oden is not in foul trouble do you think the OSU/FLA game turns out different? You will say no way FLA would still have run them off the court and you have said they would if they met again...ok kreskin...

if you can't have a deece conversation about it then so be it...what happened at Vandy? If donovan is so good does that mean Vandy, Self, and FSU's coach are inherently better than Donovan since they have beaten the Gators?

Remember self already has a win against Donovan this year...
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

What I am saying is that Donovan has proven to win with these guys when the chips are down. No one has gone undefeated in what 31 years? So give us all a break on the Vandy, FSU crap. It matters when the chips are on the table. Has Self proven himself? I would venture to say that a loss to FSU/KU/Vandy is much better than to Oral Roberts, would you agree? Noah and Brewer were ill for that game. Rematch and revenge. I'm sure you will ask what the difference is betweem OSU-UF and KU-UF rematch? UF literally blew the doors off of OSU. It wasn't close. UF barely lost in OT. They have something to prove vs KU.....defending champs, etc......OSU has two super frosh, UF has seasoned vets 4 juniors and a senior. You tell me. You want to discuss? Disagree? if so, why?

Let me tell you why Donovan has had so much recent success....he stopped recruiting the SUPERSTARS that leave after 1-2 years. You have zero continuity on your team. He recruits guys that fit the system and will play into the team concept. Not someone who is auditioning for the NBA on every possession. It has made all the difference in the world.

Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

T REX wrote:
buckeye_in_sc wrote: UF lost by two in Vegas at basically a pro-KU arena.
The Final Four in Atlanta will be a basically pro-KU arena.....
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

tOSU/UF, you won the first game...awesome but why you keep thinking it would be the same way the next time around...so you don't think UF would want to prove to tOSU again that they might very well be the better team? If you don't think that you are an idiot...please let UF come in thinking they are all that ala the Football season with the roles reversed...

what so now Matta doesn't recruit system guys? How do you know that for sure? You still think Oden is going pro...he may, he may not...the FLA guys made a decision to stick around and I applaud them for it...but how can you blatantly say that Matta, Self etc don't recruit system guys? Conley isn't going anywhere, David Lighty isn't going anywhere, Othello Hunter isn't going anywhere and I still maintain that Cook and Oden will be around at least 1 more year if not more...my opinion (you will obviously tear it up and what not) but hey my opinion...so again not sure Kreskin how you know that matta, self, etc don't recruit system guys...just because the FLA guys decided to stick around doesn't mean Donovan recruited them that way now does it...?

as far as an OSU/UF rematch I would love it...simply because tOSU is playing better basketball now than in late December...if you don't believe that then sorry not much more I can say to help prove that to you...they have won at MSU, beat MSU at home, etc...they have won some tough games on the road since losing by 3 at Sconsin...so they are playing better, becoming more seasoned and I think things would be different...whoever said anything about going undefeated and give you a break on the Vandy/FSU stuff...FLA is FAR superior to those teams...in terms of talent and coaching...so what happened?

Sometimes trying to discuss a topic is a circular reference with you...you will never give any other team credit and will find some way to discredit that other team or a way to defend why FLA lost...ala KU...Brewer and Green were sick but you still had Horford, Noah, et al, plus in your mind arguably the greatest coach to ever walk the college basketball sidelines...so how did they lose that game? FLA lost plain and simple...much like I said above...while tOSU/FLA was tied when Oden went to the bench...FLA went on a sick run, got a huge lead and momentum and didn't look back...and they won hands down...so please again tell me why if a second game comes around FLA wouldn't want to prove anything to tOSU...?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Mook wrote:
T REX wrote:
buckeye_in_sc wrote: UF lost by two in Vegas at basically a pro-KU arena.
The Final Four in Atlanta will be a basically pro-KU arena.....
it was in 01, that's for sure. with a lot of anti-OU chants and such.....great fans KU fan. nary a bitter bone for getting asswaxed by OU that year in the big XII tournament.
"
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Wow, Donovan has had to prove himself. I have never said he was the greatest. He has improved drastically in-game and recruiting style. He is the second youngest head coach to win it all I think behind the General and one of three to play in a FF and win it all....the others being Knight and a one Dean Smith so excuse me while I gush a little over a solid two years of coaching for Billy D. It has been a long time coming. ANd this(not me) after people saying he has underachieved until last year? Are you kidding me? Look at his age!\

I don't want a pissing contest.

Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Mikey wrote:Records against top 25 ranked teams (ranked when the games were played):

You make the call.

The rankings mean shit. While still flawed the RPI is a better measurment of the quality of teams you've played. So when looking at records against the RPI top 50:

tO$U- 7-3
Wisc- 6-3
FLA- 6-3
UCLA- 8-2
UNC- 10-2
KU- 3-2
ATM- 4-3
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

King Crimson wrote:
Mook wrote:
T REX wrote: The Final Four in Atlanta will be a basically pro-KU arena.....
it was in 01, that's for sure. with a lot of anti-OU chants and such.....great fans KU fan. nary a bitter bone for getting asswaxed by OU that year in the big XII tournament.
I was at the games in '01 and I didn't really remember it being that pro KU and certainly not anti-OU. If I remember correctly most of the KU folks in the section I was in were pulling for OU....I believe OU/Indiana played first.

Anyway, I could be wrong but don't remember much anti-anybody sentiment from any of the teams involved that year.