Three tiers to the title

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Shine
Leads all Lists

Three tiers to the title

Post by Shine »

Enough of the season has passed that I feel comfortable in putting the following teams, and ONLY the following teams, into the discussion for the title this year. There are some good teams that won’t make this list but when I examine everything I’ve seen the following teams are the only ones I can envision winning 4 games to get to the Final Four and then winning another game against a top level team to make the title game. Once you’re in the title game it’s a one and done scenario and anything can happen, but the teams on these tiers are IMO the only ones capable of getting there to have the shot.

Tier 1- the frontrunners

These are the three teams that have separated themselves from the pack to the point it would be an upset if they weren’t still playing come Final Four weekend.

Florida- the defending champs are as complete a team as you’ll find and with the experience they bring back they’ll be more than ready for anything the tourney can throw at them. They have an underrated PG and a deadly spot up shooter to go with their can’t be matched frontcourt.

UCLA- they were playing on the final Monday of the season last year and look poised to repeat the feat this year. They have some key injuries but have played very well through that and I’d expect they’ll be playing at full tilt when March rolls around. They have athletes galore and play a suffocating defense that is the difference between them and everybody else in the very good Pac-10 this year.

North Carolina- they are loaded with talent at every position and have depth at every position so despite their youth they are a favorite to win it all. Ever since their debacle at Virginia Tech they’ve been playing at another level and that level is scary for anyone left on their schedule.

Tier 2- a step behind

These are the teams that are just the slightest bit behind those front 3 but still good enough that seeing them still playing come Final Four weekend won’t be a shock.

Wisconsin- as well coached of a team as you’ll find anywhere. They have a legit superstar to count on in the clutch and carry them when needed. They couple that with lots of experience and depth and they do it running a system most teams aren’t accustomed to facing.

Ohio State- they showed in their game at UNC early on that they have the talent and athleticism to play with anyone and that was before they had a 7 foot monster in the middle. They’ve endured some growing pains in learning to blend it all together and they are still a very young team but by March I’d expect them to have it all put together and Oden to be as close to 100% as he’ll be this year.

Kansas- they can match their talent and depth up with anyone but they haven’t shown yet the ability to put it all together for a long stretch, and I can’t ignore the struggles Bill Self has had in the tournament. I’m still looking for someone to step up and take control of this team and if that happens the rest of the field better watch out.

Texas A&M- the kind of defense they play most nights will keep them in any game with any team. I’m just not sure if they’ve got the offensive firepower or a consistent enough 3rd option to win it all but I can’t ignore the defense they play and their top 2 scoring punch is good enough to win most nights.

Tier 3- the wildcards

These teams aren’t so dominant to be in the top 2 tiers but they each possess something that makes them legit sleepers to make a title run in March.

Marquette- their guard play is arguably the best in the country and despite the slight reemergence of the big man in the college game the tourney still comes down to guard play. They are reminiscent of the Villanova team of last year and the Illinois team of 05.

Texas- their young guys get better each week and they have the type of player in Durant who can put a team on his back in March and carry them to the title ala Danny and the Miracles.

Duke- I know this isn’t your older brothers Duke team, but in some ways that’s a good thing for the Dookies. They’re playing defense at a higher level than I’ve seen them play in a long time and they’re learning how to win close games by playing in so many of them. They have enough fatal flaws this year that they can’t be in the top 2 tiers but they also have enough talent, coaching and pieces to still make the cut for this tier.

Oregon- I still have doubts about this team but it’s impossible to ignore the results they’ve put up so far. They’ve won on the road at some tough places and that is very telling. I think their lack of D will be their undoing but they have enough offense and guard play to overcome that and go on a streak.

Nevada- I wanted to put one mid-majorish type team on the list and of the potential teams these guys had the best profile. They have a guy in Fazekas who can carry them much like Durant and they’ve proven they can play at a high level without him.

That’s it, that’s the list. Again there are some good teams not on this list but they’re not on the list for a reason. The team that ultimately cuts the nets down won’t be anyone other than someone listed above.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I’m sure you’ll have Wisconsin in Tier 1 where they belong after tomorrow night.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

The only thing that I question about Wisconsin is you need 6 straight wins to win the NCAA tournament and if Tucker just has 1 off night, they're screwed. Taylor and Butch are okay, but they can't carry the team. Deeper teams are typically the ones that do the best in the NCAA tournament. But if Tucker can play well for 6 straight games against top notch competition, then Wisconsin has just as good of a shot as anyone.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Eight players average at least 13 minutes a game. They all play defense or they’re out of the game. Ryan won 4 national titles in the 90’s at freaking Platteville.

Tucker’s had a few off nights, and they always seem to come against the weaker teams. He always shows up for the big games, and he understands the system. If the other team is doubling him up he’ll keep moving the ball until they play him honest. Then he’ll get his. Very patient player. Final Four team. Book it.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I realize that they go 8 deep with quality minutes, but I'm not only talking about the number of guys they're playing it's also the quality. Without a good performance from Tucker, how can Wisconsin beat a good team in the tourney? Taylor is a nice role player, as is Butch. But can they pick up the scoring enough to beat a team like, oh say, Duke? I'm not sure about that.

And I agree Tucker is a big game performer. But the NCAA tourney comes after a long season. A season where he's been forced to put a ton of pressure on his back. With that, will he have enough left in the tank to carry his team through 3-4 tough games in just over a week's time just to get to the Final 4. And then, the following week, can he carry them to another victory or 2 against even tougher competition?

To me, Wisconsin is a Top 5 team, but I think they'll go out in the Sweet 16 because this isn't the type of team that's suited for the NCAA tournament. Now, if Tucker proves me wrong and is able to bring it for 4-5 games against that type of competition, then not only will I say he's the best player the Big-10 has had in 15-20 years but I will say they're the best team in the country.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

We call bullshit!

Sin,

Jim Jackson
Chris Webber
Queten Richardson

watch out with your best player in the last 15-20 years dog...Tucker is very good...but there have been some awesome players to come out of the Big 10 in recent years...

I think Sconsin can make a deep run because of that depth...good lord...I mean they can pound on you and keep coming...lord...I look for them in the Elite 8 at a minimum...

I think the Big 10 gets 2 in the Elite 8 possibly both tOSU and Sconsin going to the FF...just sayin
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Did you mean JASON Richardson? Q went to Depaul.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I thought Quentin Richardson went to MSU...
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

I pretty much agree with that analysis, Shine. I'd take out Oregon and add Pittsburgh to your third tier.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

No, Jason Richardson went to MSU and was a star. Quentin Richardson went to Depaul and played on an underachieving team while he was there.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

meh...I stand corrected...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Three tiers to the title

Post by Dinsdale »

helmet wrote:I pretty much agree with that analysis, Shine. I'd take out Oregon and add Pittsburgh to your third tier.

Some of you are ill-informed.

Uhm...Oregon at present has proven to be the best team in the PAC10. Of course come thursday night, we'll have a lot more information to base this discussion on.
Shine wrote:Oregon- They’ve won on the road at some tough places

Not really. They won at Georgetown, which was a ranked team at the time. They won @ Arizona, which is a tough game in ANY year. They won at Wazzu, which has been a tall order this season. Heck, the Ducks have only played 7 road games all season.

This is a much more formidable team than you guys seem to think. Their advantage lies in having every single guy on the entire roster being a money 3-point shooter, including the (6'9") center.

But therein lies their probably-fatal flaw...lack of size. Might be tough going in March when they have to face a really big team(Wisconsin isn't exactly small). The only team I'd really call "big" in the PAC is Stanford, and to Ernie's credit(I bash the guy's in-game coaching enough, I'll give him credit when it's due), he came up with a great strategy to counter it, and the Furd big men spoent the game watching from the bench in foul trouble....but their twin-towers are freshmen, and as such most likely were a little easier to get to fall for the plan.

Sure, it's easy to play armchair-analyst, but I think Oregon would run Ohio State out of the building. Wisconsin...not so much. They'd also blow the doors off A&M. I think NC would create too many problems for them in the low post, as well.

One thing's for sure...I'll be glued to a TV set Thursday evening. Belee dat.

BTW--Zach Randolph is by far the big dog of that MSU team at the professional level...since he has arguably the best numbers of any big man in the NBA...and still isn't getting a sniff of the All-Star Game.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

A&M is the #1 defense int he nation. They have pretty deece size in Kavalaskas and Jones with Pompey off the bench. A&M defends the perimeter better than any team in the nation. They don't stand in the arc. They defend all the way up to the person making the other team take it inside.

Oh, btw, A&M can shoot the 3 too. A&M is 19th in 3pt% at 40.3%. Oregon is 52nd at 38.2% Overall FG% A&M is #4 at 51%.

So, saying Oregon would blow the doors off A&M is absurd.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:So, saying Oregon would blow the doors off A&M is absurd.

Just going by what I've seen.

And frankly, in all honesty, I have only seen little bits and pieces of A&M. From the little I've seen, A&M doesn't have a fraction of the athleticism that it would take to defend the Ducks. The Ducks with their experience level(they've been severe underachievers for the last 2 seasons, so losses to the NBA haven't been a problem, despite the McDonalds-rich roster) have a way of suckering their opponents into playing their game...and their game isn't predicated the least bit on defense...they challenge people to a track meet, and they beat their opponents badly at it. They only games they've lost were ones in which they just plain had tight-rimmed piss-poor shooting nights(which the possibility of which is a big risk to a deep tourney run, but that goes for post-up teams, too).

And if A&M were to overplay the perimeter(like a couple of teams have done)....ohhhhhh, yeah...bring it on. The blowout is on, while the big guys watch from the bench. It's been tried, and has proven to be the absolute worst strategy to defend them there is...WAYWAYWAY to much speed at gaurd to overplay the outside. Better to let them shoot deep, and try to cash in on the long rebounds, then post them up deep on the Ducks' defensive end, and hope the slow pace leads to foul trouble for the "inside" players.

One of the finest run-and-gun teams I've ever seen...although run-and-gun isn't always they key to deep touney runs.

But can anyone really claim they've seen huge amounts of every team, seeing how there's over 300 D1 teams? I think that's why they play those games in March...to shut all of us armchair-warriors the fuck up.

But come thursday night, you clowns will be singing a different tune, and won't be making these silly dismissals of QQMF. They won the first one, with what was at the time the largest CBB team ever assembled(the Tall Timbers, they were called), and might just make a run at winning this one, with one of the smaller teams of the current era.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Oregon's non conference schedule was a joke. Georgetown was the only good team they played. They're getting their experience in conference, true, but they aren't a 19-2 team like UNC is a 19-2 team.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

helmet wrote:Oregon's non conference schedule was a joke. Georgetown was the only good team they played.

"Joke" is probably being generous. Nebraska was supposed to be good, but that didn't pan out.

But, just because the OOC was soft("soft" being generous), it doesn't mean they're not a good team. OOC means so much less in hoops than it does in football, it makes it somewhat meaningless, unless you're going nuts scheduling the big names to pack your building.

Oregon was at a stage where they needed bullshit wins, both for a confidence booster for their previously underachieving squad, and to rack up enough wins to get an invite, since the PAC is a tough place to put together a super-impressive record. And bringing back the conference tourney watered things down even more.

That's what those games in March are all about...to cut through the bullshit of the schedules...right?
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Oh, btw, A&M can shoot the 3 too.
Yeah, no shit.

Sin,
My eyes, growing weary of watching our guards look hapless on defense... running out at guys that have already spotted up and cocked back.
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

skull...thoughts on Capel so far? All I've seen of the Sooners was last weekend's game at aTm. What a nasty looking court, by the way.
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

Shine - I basically agree with your list but would probably only make it two tiers. I think every team out there has exhibited vulnerabilities. In my opinion I would probably just have two tiers, tier 1 being the "probably the national champ comes from this group" and tier 2 " if the champ doesn't come from the first group then it would be a huge fucking surprise if it wasn't somebody from this second group"

My "Probably the National Champ comes from this group" nominees, in no particular order:
FLORIDA
UNC
UCLA
KANSAS
OHIO STATE
WISCONSIN
ATM

My "If the champ doesn't com from the first group then it would be a huge fucking surprise if it wasn't somebody from this second group" nominees, again in no particular order:
OREGON - sorry Dins, I've seen them play a half a dozen times and I'm not ready to bump them up yet.
PITTSBURGH - Oregon and Pitt are at the top of this list
ARIZONA - they're struggling now, but I still think they have some talent and could do something

Frankly that's sort of it for me right now. I might consider a few of the following, but not very seriously (at least not seriously enough to give them their own tier):

TEXAS
MARQUETTE
WASHINGTON ST
DUKE
MEMPHIS
INDIANA
BUTLER - they looked good in November, right?
NEVADA

And that's really it, I'd be completely shocked if one of the first ten teams isn't the national champ. I just threw those others in to write down a few more teams.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Dinsdale wrote:
helmet wrote:I pretty much agree with that analysis, Shine. I'd take out Oregon and add Pittsburgh to your third tier.

Some of you are ill-informed.

Uhm...Oregon at present has proven to be the best team in the PAC10. Of course come thursday night, we'll have a lot more information to base this discussion on.
Not saying that Oregon doesn't belong on that list, but Helmet makes a good point: it's difficult to keep Pitt off that list. Pitt is currently alone in first place in the Big East. That alone ought to put them on any list of teams with a legitimate shot at the national title, at least as things stand right now. I'll plead guilty to being a Big East homer, but putting that aside, a legitimate argument can be made that the Big East, in its present incarnation, is the toughest conference in the country right now.

On top of that, entering tonight's games, Pitt is also one of only three teams in the nation to have reached the 20-win plateau already.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:a legitimate argument can be made that the Big East, in its present incarnation, is the toughest conference in the country right now.
Not that I put too terribly much stock in Sagarin, but it makes a legitimate argument for posting a big fat :rolleyessmiley:

1 ATLANTIC COAST = 84.32 84.03 ( 1) 12
2 PACIFIC-10 = 83.44 82.69 ( 3) 10
3 SOUTHEASTERN = 82.61 82.81 ( 2) 12
4 BIG TEN = 81.98 81.81 ( 4) 11
5 BIG 12 = 81.70 81.25 ( 5) 12
6 MISSOURI VALLEY = 81.28 81.12 ( 6) 10
7 BIG EAST = 80.98 80.65 ( 7) 16
8 MOUNTAIN WEST = 78.40 78.60 ( 8) 9
9 WESTERN ATHLETIC = 75.41 74.72 ( 10) 9
10 CONFERENCE USA = 74.91 74.75 ( 9) 12

On top of that, entering tonight's games, Pitt is also one of only three teams in the nation to have reached the 20-win plateau already.

Uhm...think that might have something to do with Pitt having played more games than any other team in the top 10?

YA'THINK?

Sheer brilliance.

"But how can Florida have passed Michigan in the polls, when Michigan hasn't even played a game since then?"

If Oregon wins one of its next two games, it will have broken the 20-win barrier in the same number of games as Pitt...I guess that puts them in a two-way tie for #1 with Pitt(even though Pitt plays in a MUCH weaker conference).

Florida? Same deal.

UNC...yup.

OSU..wins the next two games, and they pass the TiC Ultimate Rankings System.

Kansas...they could equal Pitts' AMAZING feat with a win.

Duke needs to run off two straight, and they make the TiC Hall of Fame.

UCLA will could lose to Oregon, and still attain this elite status.

Ass-To-Mouth? Holy smokes, they can be a #1 team, too.

Along with Memphis, OkState, Nevada, and Air Force.

But of course, usuing the TiC method of computation, Butler is a superior team to Pitt, so let's cancel March Madness and give them the crown...in a split championship with Wisconsin.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I thought Dins was the biggest cheerleader for the "you must earn respect, not demand it" mantra?

We already know what UF did last year. We already know what UCLA did last year. We know what UNC can do. We know what Duke can do. We know what Bo Ryan-coached teams can do in March, as well.

We don't know jack shit about the combination that is Oregon and March. Let's just wait and see.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Terry - are you fucking serious? Having 87 teams in your conference might LOOK impressive, but the Big East is down this year. Way down. Hell, I'd put the MVC ahead of the Big East right now.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: We don't know jack shit about the combination that is Oregon and March. Let's just wait and see.

HOW SOON THEY FORGET 1939.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Hell, I'd put the MVC ahead of the Big East right now.

Me too.

Sin,
Jeff Sagarin
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Knock it off. I'm sure Terry has his own formula handy that's way more accurate and convincing than Sagarin's figures, which will help highlight how the Big East is the #1 conference in the nation.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Knock it off. I'm sure Terry has his own formula handy that's way more accurate and convincing than Sagarin's figures, which will help highlight how the Big East is the #1 conference in the nation.

Sounds good to me. Where's our trophy?

Sin,
USC Football Fan
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Where's our trophy?
Dunno. We claimed it when our schedule was done, but they still gave it to Florida for some reason.

Sin,

Michigan football fan
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The psuedo-RPI has the Big Least at #7, as well.

But that's not "legitimate," since a "legitimate argument" can be made for the BE.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Listen.....UF is good even great but to repeat is un-heard of...no really......a lot has to go your way to win one let alone back-to-back. I just don't think that UF is ENOUGH better than everyone else to take luck out of teh equation. I hope that makes sense....I've had a few this evening.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Word.

If the tourney were to start tomorrow, I'd take Wisky.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

I like Wisconsin a lot actually, and I respect the hell out of Bo Ryan as a coach. They most certainly have a team capable of winning it all BUT they simply aren't quite to the level of those top three of UNC, UF and UCLA.

Pittsburgh has no business on my list because I think they are EXTREMELY prone to an early exit. The way Wisconsin butt fucked them in the mouth and the way Marquette handled them on their home court showed me all I need to know about them. Not to mention they've shown a propensity for early flameouts and the Big East is for shite this year. Yes Terry, the Big East is not good this year. Pitt out in round 2, Sweet 16 at best.

Mook- I know you said you wouldn't consider them seriously but let me tell you that you don't even need to give one iota of thought to the likes of Washington State, Memphis, Indiana or Butler winning it all. As for Arizona, at some point what you THINK about a team and its talent becomes irrelevant in the face of what they are actually DOING on the court. That's why Arizona isn't on the list and Oregon is.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:HOW SOON THEY FORGET 1939.
Miss those days...

Sin,
A&M Football
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:Sounds good to me. Where's our trophy?

Sin,
USC Football Fan
Give it 60 years and we'll claim the NC for our own.

Sin,
SCfor1939Trajans.com
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

Shine wrote: Mook- As for Arizona, at some point what you THINK about a team and its talent becomes irrelevant in the face of what they are actually DOING on the court. That's why Arizona isn't on the list and Oregon is.
I absolutely agree with you about Arizona and what they are doing "right now".......however, I think this is a team that has the ability to get back on track and make a run in the tourney. There are numerous of examples of teams that look like crap in the middle of the year getting things together and making a run. A certain midwest team in 1988 stands out to me! Do I expect Arizona to make a run? Not really. Would I be surprised if they pulled their head out of their ass and played better in the next month and a half? Not really.

And yes, Oregon absolutely deserves to be mentioned on any list regarding championship contenders. In fact, they deserve to be mentioned well ahead of, and possibly instead of Arizona. But I'm not totally off-base for throwing Zona out there.

And really, were it not for the debacle against UNC, I think my inclusion of them wouldn't have caused anyone to bat an eye.

They have played a tough schedule with wins over NMSU, Illinois, Stanford, Memphis, Louisville and UNLV. Their losses were all close, at Virginia (by 3), at Wash St (OT), at UCLA (by 4), Oregon (by 2) and then UNC which was awful but one truly "bad" loss should not exclude a team from mention. Their schedule should definitely prepare them for March. Frankly I can't stand Arizona but this team does have talent and they will have been tested come tourney time. I will still leave them on my list........with Oregon of course!
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Dinsdale wrote:But of course, usuing the TiC method of computation, Butler is a superior team to Pitt, so let's cancel March Madness and give them the crown...in a split championship with Wisconsin.
Now, where's the big fat :bigfukkinrolleyes: thingy? Where, oh where, did I ever suggest such a thing? I merely argued for the inclusion of Pitt in a list that already had 13 other teams, including one from the WAC. I know your U&L mindset commands a conclusion that all things West are superior, but are you honestly going to argue that the WAC is better than the Big East?
MgoBlue - LightSpecial wrote:Terry - are you fucking serious? Having 87 teams in your conference might LOOK impressive, but the Big East is down this year. Way down. Hell, I'd put the MVC ahead of the Big East right now.
Down compared to last year, perhaps. But the Big East should still get a minimum of six teams into the field, with three more still having a possibility as well.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
If the tourney were to start tomorrow, I'd take Wisky.

I'd probably be inclined to do the same...

And therein lies the rub...how often does the team we all think is the frontrunner ever win?

Which is why March Madness is such a freaking hoot, no matter who you homer for.

Mook wrote:(Arizona) have played a tough schedule

Toughest in the country. The psuedo-RPI still has them ranked very highly.

Fun season so far, and no reason to think it won't continue.

The emergence of outstanding freshmen in Oldman and Durant, Tucker deciding he's the next Wilt Jordan, Aaron Brooks finally deciding to play after his 3 year vacation, the Missou Valley deciding they're now an NBA division, the ACC...just being the ACC, the PAC thinking that every team has a god-given right to a hoops title(although we laugh at USC for deluding themselves).

Lots of stuff to talk about and have fun with. Florida's cast of charaters is just a downright likable bunch of fellows. PsychoT's Tarheels are kind of a scary bunch of fellows. The Pink Devils continue to be gay, yet still win. Oregon continues to bring a bunch of thugs to Hippytown. Gonzaga is still the Great White Hope.

Lots of ball still to be played, and someone might step it up this coming month and suprise us all.

BTW -- I didn't actually know Oregon's 3pt % until Indy posted it. Just happened to read a local column last night, and curiously enough, every starter shoots a higher percentage than that(the center is right at 39-point-something, actually). I don't have exact numbers(since I don't care all that much), but if you throw out all of the chucked-up 3's that guys hoisted while some starters were injured(nevermind all of the halfcourt bricks Tejuan Porter was heaving on an injured foot...dude will shoot the open 3 from just inside halfcourt...no BS -- sicksicksick outside shooter), then that team percentage goes wayyyyy up. Doing a quick scan through NCAA stats, no one in the top 50 3pt teams has chucked as many 3's as Oregon.

But, you know what they say -- when you live and die by the 3...you usually end up dying by the 3.

Is it March yet? The hoops gets a-rollin, and the weather gets much warmer...bring it on.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: Now, where's the big fat :bigfukkinrolleyes: thingy? Where, oh where, did I ever suggest such a thing?

Forgive me, Terry...I had forgotten how utterly lost that "humor" thing was on you.
I know your U&L mindset commands a conclusion that all things West are superior, but are you honestly going to argue that the WAC is better than the Big East?

Where, oh where, did I ever suggest such a thing?

Matter of fact, I never brought up the WAC, since the turd that floats to the top of the bowl is still a turd.

But I'll tell you what...I could make a more "serious" argument that the WAC is better than the Big Least than you could that the BE is better than the PAC, the ACC, and the SEC.

Matter of fact, I actually posted just that...FACTS. Facts which blew your ill-informed musings all to hell.

It's one thing to say something like "I believe the Big East is underrated, and people aren't giving them the credit they deserve." It's a whole different thing to say "A legitimate argument can be made that the BE is the best conference."

Uhm....no. No, it can't.

I guess you could try and dispute this, but since every single statistical analysis and every other indicator says otherwise, it would probably come off as an unintentional comedy routine, rather than a "legitimate argument."

For chrissake, Georgetown is the #3 team in that conference...Georgetown...the same Georgetown who Oregon went into their house and handed it to them. Freaking USC would kill Georgetown...and they're USC. I would say the Fuskies would beat Georgetown, but they have white players, so John Thompson would come running out of the stands and start busting caps in whitey before he'd ever let that happen.
Last edited by Dinsdale on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Dinsdale wrote:Doing a quick scan through NCAA stats, no one in the top 50 3pt teams has chucked as many 3's as Oregon.
I was curious about that statement, since ND's typical M.O. is to live and die by the three. I didn't go to the NCAA site, but based on the stats I did see, assuming my math is correct, ND is shooting 200 of 505 from 3-point range for the season, or 39.6%.

My best guess is that would put us among the top 50 3-point shooting teams in the country. And if my math is correct, we have more 3-point attempts than Oregon.
But, you know what they say -- when you live and die by the 3...you usually end up dying by the 3.
:oops: ND fan knows this one only too well.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Dinsdale wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote: Now, where's the big fat :bigfukkinrolleyes: thingy? Where, oh where, did I ever suggest such a thing?

Forgive me, Terry...I had forgotten how utterly lost that "humor" thing was on you.
I know your U&L mindset commands a conclusion that all things West are superior, but are you honestly going to argue that the WAC is better than the Big East?

Where, oh where, did I ever suggest such a thing?
Now, the humor thing is apparently lost on you as well.
But I'll tell you what...I could make a more "serious" argument that the WAC is better than the Big Least than you could that the BE is better than the PAC, the ACC, and the SEC.
If you're being serious, you can't. You yourself posted the Sagarin ratings. Do the math.

The Big East is closer to the #1 ranking, in terms of points assigned, than it is to the WAC's ratings.