Tonight's the night (Steve Yzerman jersey ceremony)

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

Tonight's the night (Steve Yzerman jersey ceremony)

Post by Shoalzie »

The hottest ticket of the entire season and quite possibly the most coveted ticket of any regular season in recent memory...tonight at the Joe is Steve Yzerman Night. I would've swore that Vs. was going to show the ceremony and the game so everyone could watch it but I see that they are supposed to show Chicago-St. Louis of all games. You'd think a game with this kind of fanfare and the fact that it will involve two of the five best teams in the league...that would be a dream matchup for national TV. Anyways, 6:30 (Eastern) will be the beginning of the festivities...lots of great players are expected to be there to witness the event. I'll be locking it into FSN Detroit and throwing away the clicker...I wouldn't miss this for the world.

RACK The Captain...leader, hero, champion, legend and soon to be hockey immortal!
NjSooner
Elwood

Post by NjSooner »

One of the best ever, no doubt. Nights like this make me wonder why i dont just pony up for one of the NHL tv plans...

Speaking of good Wings players... thanks for Shanny :)
A doctor answers his phone and hears the familiar voice of a colleague on the other end of the line. "We need a fourth for poker," said the friend. "I'll be right over," whispered the doctor. As he was putting on his coat, his wife asked, "Is it serious?" "Oh yes, quite serious," said the doctor gravely. "In fact, there are three doctors there already!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

That was a loooong ceremony but worth sitting through every moment. Lots of great names from the past were among the guests at the Joe. Bob freakin' Probert was there. Vlady was there and it was cool to see him up and using a walker instead of being in a wheelchair. Great speeches by Scotty Bowman, Jim Devellano and Mr. Ilitch. The ovation when The Captain went to the podium was probably the loudest and longest ovations that building has ever witnessed. He gave a nice speech thanking and honoring everyone he's been involved with in his career and being humble as always deflecting the credit away from him and thanking everyone for his success. He even thanked the Ducks for being there tonight. The thing that made his speech special was the fact it appeared he did it without it written down...it was totally improvised. I loved the way how the players wore different jerseys from different parts of his career...red and white Red Wings jerseys, red and white Team Canada jerseys, the old Campbell Conference All-Star jerseys, and the Peterborough Petes jerseys...all with the number 19 on them. It was awesome ceremony and a great game against the top team in the league on tap.

RACK The Captain forever
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Nothing to say that hasnt been said.

Classiest player ever. Best Captain ever.

Simply the Best.

A classy, touching ceremony.
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

RACK Yzerman for being the kind of guy you feel good about your kid looking up to. Definitely one of the greats of the game.

As an aside, I can only imagine what this must be like for you Wing nuts. Not too far down the road, I imagine I will partake in a bittersweet ceremony like this when our own #19 has his number raised to the rafters in Denver.
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Just got back from Detroit....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2cZV1vnDik

I'm beat.

The whole team in Yzerman jerseys. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Defense wins championships.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

RACK you...ya lucky bastage