Callaway Fusion Wide Sole Irons

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Callaway Fusion Wide Sole Irons

Post by indyfrisco »

Ok, so I'm contemplating getting these fuckers.

A couple questions/issues...

1. Wide sole vs. regular. My playing pal just bought the wide sole too. He wanted the regular but the peple at the place he bought them said the regular kind aren't as popular. Not sure why. Maybe they aren't as forgiving? Any insight from anyone?

2. Steel vs. Graphite. The steel are $1099. Graphite is $1299. I've only hit one set of graphite irons in my life. they were RAM FX cavity back irons. In all honesty, I played longer with those irons than any other I've had and I played pretty good with them. Money is not the issue here. Performance is. What is the major benefit to graphite on irons vs. steel? I have penty of power, but if I cn get some more accuracy with the graphite, I'm all for it.

I am currently hitting titlest 822 OS irons with a steel shaft. When I first got these, I was playing really good. I've had them about 4 years and think I may need a change. If I get these Fusions, i plan on sticking with them for a LONG time. I got the 822 OS irons on sale for like $450, normally around $800. So it is not like I am blowing off a lot of money. I'll keep'em around for awile. hell, I still have those graphite shafted RAM FX irons sans the PW which I broke...
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Fusion Wide Sole Irons?

are you serious?

how HIGH do you hit the Ball with your irons? if high with 822's--->Fusions = the SUCK

Divot Pattern--->are you a digger or a sweeper? can't take a divot with either model...

Graphite vs. Steel....thats up to you...just get the right flex.

Indy..i'm surprised by your post.

Fusion Irons...wide sole or not..are HACKER Clubs.

$$$$ doesn't make them better.

your buddy got stuck with the wide sole 'cuz they were out of stock on the regular model.

WHAT are you expecting to IMPROVE from switching away from the 822's???

that is the pertinent question...and we can dance from there.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Two reasons I'd NEVER even consider wide soles:

1. I can't stand the looks of 'em at address. Looks like I've got a grapefruit down there.
2. I generally try and stay away from clubs that my mother-in-law buys and plays with. Just a personal thing and all. But if your good with that, knock yourself out.

If you are a 'feelsy' player, good luck w/the wide soles. Have fun guessing where on the clubface you struck the ball.

Edit to add pic
Staggered original Fusions and wide sole Fusions.
BWHaaaaaa...

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

First off, I'm definitely a sweeper. I don't take too many divots. I hit the ball FUCKING HIGH with all my clubs. Are you saying the Fusions make you hit it higher, wide sole or regular?

As for being HACKER clubs, in the last year, I've turned into a hacker. Two years ago (before the kid was born) I was playing 3-4 times per week and shooting low 80s with the occasional round in the 70s. Now, I struggle to break 90.

I'm one of those golfers that has to play ALL THE TIME to keep my game in shape. I was hoping a little technology could help out my game some. It sure helped with my driver by getting a 460cc head on a much better shaft as opposed to the Taylor Made 580D I was using.

So, for a dude that hits the ball long, high, no divot and doesn't get out that often, what would you suggest? I think that possibly the reason my driving accuracy has greatly improved is because I got the XS shaft put in it. Maybe I can experiment with a new set of XS shafts in my irons (or XXS as I swing about 115 when tested with a driver) before I go spend that kind of jack on the Fusions or any other club. Since it is the offseason, no better time than now to make the switch I guess. Any suggestions on a shaft for irons? I may try graphite if I can get it in XXS. Lemme guess...Penley? Need a model...

Oh, and Ken, thanks for the picture. I haven't even seen the Fusions up close yet. I planned on Demo-ing some of them before buying anyhow. Those wide soles ARE ugly.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

IndyFrisco wrote:Oh, and Ken, thanks for the picture. I haven't even seen the Fusions up close yet. I planned on Demo-ing some of them before buying anyhow. Those wide soles ARE ugly.
Hey, just trying to help out. I'm big on aesthetics. If it looks ugly when I adress the ball, I won't buy 'em. Gimmee clean, simple lines.
While I ain't no Qbert, I'll toss $.02 more in... if you're already hitting the balls 'FUCKING HIGH', the wide sole fusions will only exacerbate that. Plan on many balooning shots that get caught up in the wind. Even if you can drive the ball low when you want, these wide soles will only make that more difficult.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Yeah, I'm already OUT on the wide sole. Don't know what I was thinking...

I'm not too unhappy with my 822 OS's other than the fact my control is completely gone. I know a lot of it is swing. I don't mind a draw or fade, but I just wish I could do either of them with consistency. I changed my swing so I could try to play a fade all the time because I just got such bad snap hooks. My playing partner even started calling my "Snappy" that fucker.

Maybe with the stiffer shafts, I can go back to my normal swing. Right now, toss a coin on whether or not I'm going to push fade it or snap hook it. Frustrating as all get-out.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Ok, I did an online questionairre and it reccomended these two shafts for me.

Harrison Pro 1.8 Tour 80 (PGA Tour Grade Shaft)
Stiff (club head speed below 110mph)
X-Stiff (club head speed above 110mph)

UST Pro Force V2 95 (PGA Tour Grade Shaft)
Stiff (club head speed from 95mph to 115mph).
X-Stiff (club head speed from 105mph to 135mph).
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Mizuno MP-60 irons. (more forgiving than the 67's)

x-100 dynamic gold steel shafts.

get fitted for Lie Angle.

you owe me 9 bucks.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Qbert wrote:Mizuno MP-60 irons. (more forgiving than the 67's)

x-100 dynamic gold steel shafts.

get fitted for Lie Angle.

you owe me 9 bucks.
you kind of answered a question I was going to ask Q.....

what do you think of the 67's....

I'm seiously contemplating dumping my McGregors and going to a set of these...
get out, get out while there's still time
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

i think that you should get fitted for lie angle...PM me your specs and lets get them ordered!

awesome golf club. your GAME can handle them!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

My Armour T100's have a pretty wide sole. I don't see a whole bunch of difference, with the exception that a wider sole seems to be more forgiving when you hit it fat.

Just my less-than-professional observation.

Might just have to go back to a steel club and steel shaft this year. I'm not so much concerned about distance, but I just strongly prefer the feel of steel shafts on irons. If I was a rich man, I'd do like a golfing bud, and get a set made with graphite on the long irons, and stiff steel on the short ones.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Qbert wrote:i think that you should get fitted for lie angle...PM me your specs and lets get them ordered!

awesome golf club. your GAME can handle them!
how much we talking.....less than the $899 suggested retail I hope......

typical set comes 3 thru PW, but I'm hitting my 2 and 3 Nickent's so well (thanks man I owe ya) I really don't need the 3....

given my current club head speed (103 to 105 when I checked early in the year) do you think I should consider staying with regular-flex shafts or go back to stiff? I like that I can control the flight of the ball better, but there's a definite loss of yardage using the regular flex.....
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Guess what.

Clubs don't make that much difference, as long as you've got the right flex and swing weight. It's mainly a fuckin scam to keep you buyin expensive new clubs.

I'm still using a 20 year old set of Ping knockoffs with persimmon woods (except for a Biggest Big Bertha driver that I've had for 9 years). I love the sound of good wood hitting a golf ball, something most of you will never have the pleasure of experiencing.

I play now once every month or two (yeah I'd like to play twice a week), and shoot in the mid to high 80s. Used to play to a 3 handicap with those clubs and would probably still break 80 every time if I played weekly. That was when I played 4 ro 5 rounds a week.

Occasionally I think about getting a new set so I could have pretty equipment like everybody else but I beat most of my friends even with my old shit clubs. The point is, there were people breaking par with hickory shafts 80 years ago. I might take 2 strokes off my score with new equipment, but is it worth $1500 - $2000 to get shiny new metal? Blaming your failures on your equipment is just fooling yourself.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Mikey wrote:Guess what.

Clubs don't make that much difference, as long as you've got the right flex and swing weight. It's mainly a fuckin scam to keep you buyin expensive new clubs.

I'm still using a 20 year old set of Ping knockoffs with persimmon woods (except for a Biggest Big Bertha driver that I've had for 9 years). I love the sound of good wood hitting a golf ball, something most of you will never have the pleasure of experiencing.

I play now once every month or two (yeah I'd like to play twice a week), and shoot in the mid to high 80s. Used to play to a 3 handicap with those clubs and would probably still break 80 every time if I played weekly. That was when I played 4 ro 5 rounds a week.

Occasionally I think about getting a new set so I could have pretty equipment like everybody else but I beat most of my friends even with my old shit clubs. The point is, there were people breaking par with hickory shafts 80 years ago. I might take 2 strokes off my score with new equipment, but is it worth $1500 - $2000 to get shiny new metal? Blaming your failures on your equipment is just fooling yourself.
thanx for that Mikey.

Now go back to staring at the new swimsuit picture of Barack Obama.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Greenie

the price that i will post here is $850 for 8 total irons. (3-pw, 4-sw, etc.)

you should be swinging S flex...not R...btw.

please do a Lie Board Fitting w/ a S Flex Iron...too!

just PM me.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Qbert wrote:
thanx for that Mikey.
Any time.

Now, what else would you like to know?

BTW, what are you swinging and what's your handicap?
Spend much time on the pro tour?
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Qbert wrote:Greenie

the price that i will post here is $850 for 8 total irons. (3-pw, 4-sw, etc.)

you should be swinging S flex...not R...btw.

please do a Lie Board Fitting w/ a S Flex Iron...too!

just PM me.
Okey doke

I've got a birthday coming up and wifey asked me what I want.......

Hmmmm, let me think.....what do I want for my birthday......

I love open ended questions.......
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Do you post here normally?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

One of my favorite drivers of all time was the original Killer Whale by Wilson with a Firestick 2.0 shaft. Loved that sonofabitch. Might grab one off Ebay. Of course, the graphite will suck balls at this point. Would need to reshaft.

The only thing I have fucked upmentally is when I stand over a chip anywhere from greenside to 60 yards. I then go to coon city. For some dumbfuck reason, I just think when hitting a wedge that the only way to do it is clip the grass. I cannot make myself hit the ground with a wedge. Totally fucking mental. Everything else with my game, including the iron discussion, is in my swing. Some clubs have a little mre forgiveness though. That's what I am looking for.

Anyhow, I'll give the Dynamic Gold 100s a shot.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:I love the sound of good wood hitting a golf ball, something most of you will never have the pleasure of experiencing.

You are correct.

Unfortunately, it's not for lack of swinging real wood.

Only thing better than the sound of a flush-struck persimmon, is a perfectly struck wood.

But steel or titanium woods are much easier to hit and much more forgiving, imo.

Then again, me and my fairway woods went through a bitter divorce a couple of years ago. Seems like once the back problems finally cleared up, I can no longer hit a fairway wood off the grass anymore. I used to be able to...now it might be one out of three doesn't produce fits of laughter and a hazard to bystanders. If I tee them up an eighth of an inch...no problem. But off the grass...nuh-uh. Not sure how having a back injury healing up messed up my hand-eye coordination, but it did.

I hate that.

I'm sure I'd be playing with the same irons I have been for years, except they got stolen. But I agree with Mikey...it ain't the arrow, it's the indian, son.

Heck, my bestest golf bud, while streaky anymore, occasionally throws down some sick scores. Until recently, that was accomplished with an ancient set of RAM forged blades, so well-used that it was hard to read the numbers on the clubs(unless he was wailing his persimmon 5W, of course). Another buddy presented him with a gift recently -- a nearly-new set of RAM forged blades($60 off E-Bay).

It ain't the arrow, it's the indian.

But...you also have to like the feel of what you're swinging, regardless what it is.

So yeah, I agree with Mikey...to an extent. Except when it comes to drivers, then all bets are off. They come up with something longer, better, straighter, and more forgiving every year. Then again, I ain't ponying up $300+ every year for a new one. I'll get "last year's" used from someone, if I'm just looking to play with the idea of upgrading. But for now, I'm still hitting the 1996 Taylor Made Titanium Tour. Nowhere near as big or forgiving as "modern" stuff, but hit it on the (nonexistant) screws, and damn does that sucker put a nasty lick on the ball. The one it replaced was ancient, and the already too soft graphite seemes to be not working right. Getting to where 270 seemed like a monster shot...it used to go farther, and I swear I was hitting the ball better. Got the "new" one ($15...score), and first time out, hit a jaw-dropper about 330. I guess that old driver lost something over time. And it may not be wood, but the Taylor Made sure makes a cool sound when I peg it. That's the problem with the 460cc monsters -- they just make that dull "thud" sound...just not as satisfying...but they go farther...there is that.

I'll get some cooler clubs someday, maybe even this year, who knows. But hell, I get all jazzed up about equipment upgrades when I get a cheap new bag. Clubs? I'd be too busy jerking off over them to actually get out and play. Hell, I get excited when I get a new brass-wire brush to clean the clubheads, or get a new golf towel. For that matter, I beam with joy if I find a ProV1 in the bushes. And this last year(maybe the year before), I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to score a brand new pair of Nike Air Force Max shoes...for like $9...I was pretty stoked(since they were the same as the shoes I was wearing at the time, only with spikes). Newer Nike's don't have that ridiculous proprietary spike anymore-btw-if you didn't know -- they take regular old spikes, like every other shoe...which is nice.

Being an equipment snob is cool -- if you shoot under 75 every time out. Keeps me out of the running.

OK...all this golf talk has me jonesin. We just need a few dry days in a row, and I'm going to have to go make a mockery of the game again for the first time in a while. Because golf rules.

As far as the Dynamic Golds -- FWIW, that's the only shaft Tiger uses in irons...not that you're Tiger Woods, or anything. I believe his fairway woods are fitted with Dynamic Golds, matter of fact. Heck, up until a few years ago, his freaking driver was sporting a Dynamic Gold. Everyone has their own opinion, but last time I heard Tiger talking about such things, he was preaching on and on about how much more accurate he could hit with stiff steel, although the graphites had better distance. FWIW.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Mikey wrote: I'm still using a 20 year old set of Ping knockoffs with persimmon woods (except for a Biggest Big Bertha driver that I've had for 9 years). I love the sound of good wood hitting a golf ball, something most of you will never have the pleasure of experiencing.
where do you get your balata golf balls........or are you playing gutta percha......:lol:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Actually I'm partial to featheries.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote: where do you get your balata golf balls........or are you playing gutta percha.....

Soebody...Tilteist, I think makes a synthetic balata. In a 100 compression. Never bought one, but have found a couple, and played them.

And let me tell ya'...nothing flies straighter off the tee than a 100-compression balata....wait...everything flies straighter off the tee than a 100-compression balata.

Love 'em on the chip-and-putt course, though. Especially ones with a scratched-up cover. Spin those suckers all over the green...usually the wrong direction.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Mikey wrote:
Qbert wrote:
thanx for that Mikey.
Any time.

Now, what else would you like to know?

BTW, what are you swinging and what's your handicap?
Spend much time on the pro tour?
Mikey

i mis-read your Post as a troll~job...

I WAS WRONG to do that. (musta been something in a 12oz. can?)

My handicap is that i've been in the golf business since 1990. i haven't played "regular golf" since i was in high school.

playing in an "every other" week 18 hole league a couple of years back doesn't cut it either. played 27 holes in 2006.

so, my PAR is just about like everyone else's--->90.

i'm a Club Fitter by TRADE.

glad to hear that you work 1 block away from Callaway Headquarters.

if they gave away SWAG after each company tour...you'd OBVIOUSLY have a bunch of it? :mrgreen:

Golf more...post in here more.

playing with "Featheries" gives a new meaning to Low Compression Balls.....
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Mikey wrote:with persimmon woods (except for a Biggest Big Bertha driver that I've had for 9 years). I love the sound of good wood hitting a golf ball, something most of you will never have the pleasure of experiencing.
i got a garage full of persimmon woods.....want to buy some....

say something along the lines of 10 for $20, but YOU PAY SHIPPING.....

think it over...you got my card...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Qbert -
No problem. I've been accused of trolling on several occasions in the past, but of course I NEVER have...

I just moved into this office this week, so I'm not really sure what goes on over in the edifice at the end of the street. I may have to go and check it out, though.

In spite of what I've been saying about using old clubs, I may finally be in the market for some new ones in the near future, if I can convince the OL that my year end bonus actually belongs to me. I'll probably be coming here for some advice when I do.

There's an old guy in our town, must be at least 80, who has what he calls a "golf ranch" at his place. Claims to have known all of the top pros back in the 60s and 70s. He's installed about half a dozen tee boxes hitting into a net, a putting green, a sand trap and about a 50 yard pitching hole. We signed the kids up for a clinic last summer (6 group lessons) through the community center, and he seems to know what he's talking about. Almost uncanny, actually. He can be looking the other way and with 3 or 4 kids hitting at once he can tell you exactly what was wrong with one of the swings just by the sound of it. Dude gives private lessons too, and I've been thinking of signing up for a refresher course. He claims to have bought hundreds of pieces of old stock from Callaway, outdated equipment I guess, and will fit anybody for a set of clubs for a lot less than you can get at retail. Not too sure about this, but I'm thinking of looking into this further.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Felix wrote:
Mikey wrote:with persimmon woods (except for a Biggest Big Bertha driver that I've had for 9 years). I love the sound of good wood hitting a golf ball, something most of you will never have the pleasure of experiencing.
i got a garage full of persimmon woods.....want to buy some....

say something along the lines of 10 for $20, but YOU PAY SHIPPING.....

think it over...you got my card...
You have a complete set of Powerbilt woods, circa mid to late 1970s?
D0 or D1, stiff preferably.

My favorite all time woods. They were stolen from my car. If you have my original set I will fight you.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Mikey wrote: You have a complete set of Powerbilt woods, circa mid to late 1970s?
D0 or D1, stiff preferably.
so now you're requesting not only flex but swing weight as well.......:lol:

I don't have a complete set, but I do have the Driver.....swing flex is stiff, but I'll be damned if I know the swingweight.....
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:They were stolen from my car.

If you find the guy, and he also has a set of Wilson 1200 OS(not expensive clubs, but damn I loved those things, and always hit them well...I like really heavy irons), then fight him twice.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

And if he has a Clevelend Byron Nelson commemorative copper 60* wedge he stole from Sweetwater Country Club in Houston atop a tree at where I placed it for the remainder of my round after cooning a shot over the green of what would have been a 1-under 35 had I gotten up and down, fight him thrice.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I still want the, circa early 90s, Laminated Wood Whale if you got one.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Oh, and I'm up for buying a persimmon driver and a 7 wood, stiff shafts please. Let me know if you got any, the brand and model. I can pay in paypal, check or barter ;).
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

That guy seems to have a lot of clubs. He's got my Nicklaus VIP irons too.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

IndyFrisco wrote:Oh, and I'm up for buying a persimmon driver and a 7 wood, stiff shafts please. Let me know if you got any, the brand and model. I can pay in paypal, check or barter ;).
I don't know if they were making persimmon head 7 woods during Persimmon's heyday, but I might be wrong.....

lets see, persimmon drivers.....I've got two Powerbilts, a Lynx, and a Cleveland all stiff shafts...

I do have an old shitty taylor made metal 7 wood I'd be willing to let go for 'CHEAP'

I'm gonna check and see if they can set me up with a "Felix's Used Golf Club" forum specifically so that I can foist.....er....sell this stuff to unsusp.....er.....my new found golfing pals......

who wants to make a deal on a set of Lynx irons.....this set includes a 1-IRON!!!!!

look just like these....
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I wish I still had my Wilson Staff irons with aluminum shafts. That was the first set of clubs that I actually bought myself (used of course).
They'd prolly be collectors' items by now, except that the heads kept breaking off.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I would be interested in the Cleveland persimmon. Is it in deece shape? Irregardless, I wouldn't mind having it. How much? Gotta pic?

Not too interested in the Lynx irons, but if you have a different set, I may be. Anything in Wilson or Titlest or Hogan (Apex?)? I used to have a set of Titelist blades that I let go of. Wish I had them back. PLay a few rounds with those and go back to the cavity backs and it is an easy game.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

hmm...had a set of LYNX USA's in high school....played better with MacGregor Blades...

Persimmon 7 woods...???

my FEEBLE memory sez NO.

you could get a Stan Thompson Ginty or a Cobra Baffler....and they were Laminated. So were the Pings.

Hey? who wants my Hogan Persimmon Blonde 4 wood that has a dent in it (from my 5 iron)? The 3 wood is SWEET...the Driver has had a couple of reshafts though...

case of Rolling Rock plus shipping sez WHO?

stolen things...Hmmmm...(that mattered?)....Merit Forged cavity back 3-pw and the Jones Bag--->the ZAAP Putter as well.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I have an old 7-wood that was my utility club in high school. I guess it was laminated. My bad on asking if they made a persimmon pre-Frisco.

In any case, I'm still in for the Cleveland and the irons I asked about.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Qbert wrote:hmm...had a set of LYNX USA's in high school.....
you're smacking me now aren't you.....

Indy, the Cleveland isn't in that great of shape....it would probably be a considered a wall hanger.....

(that's what comes from being a hot headed kid that just wouldn't accept bad shots)