Looks like the Sox will sign the Jap after all.

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

The Assassin
Raider Fan

Looks like the Sox will sign the Jap after all.

Post by The Assassin »

Red Sox officials, Matsuzaka headed to BostonESPN.com news services

BOSTON -- Daisuke Matsuzaka headed to Boston on Wednesday with Red Sox officials, a sign that Boston had reached a preliminary contract agreement with the star pitcher.

Matsuzaka's Career With Seibu
W-L ERA SO IP
2006 17-5 2.13 200 186.3
2005 14-13 2.30 226 215.0
2004 10-6 2.90 127 146.0
2003 16-7 2.83 215 194.0
2002 6-2 3.68 78 73.3
2001 15-14 3.60 214 240.3
2000 14-7 3.97 144 167.6
1999 16-5 2.60 151 180.0

"They all took off together," Red Sox owner John Henry said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Team president Larry Lucchino said shortly after noon ET that the plane was leaving California.

In prior days, agent Scott Boras had said he would not allow Matsuzaka to travel to Boston for a physical unless the sides had reached a preliminary agreement.

"You should assume a deal is close or done," an official with knowledge of the negotiations said, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

Despite reports that Matsuzaka has agreed to a six-year deal worth as much as $52 million, Henry told Boston radio station WEEI that no deal had been struck.

"Obviously we're close enough that they're all on a plane together," Henry told the radio station, "but there's been no deal."

"Unless it's happened on the plane and they decided not to call me," he joked to WEEI.

Boston officials flew to Newport Beach, Calif., on Monday on Henry's plane and said they would return Wednesday with or without Matsuzaka. The team and Matsuzaka have a Thursday midnight deadline to reach an agreement.

The Red Sox called a news conference for Wednesday afternoon to introduce shortstop Julio Lugo, who agreed to a four-year, $36 million deal last week. With the top Red Sox brass still en route, manager Terry Francona and assistant GM Jed Hoyer were to attend that event.

Boston bid $51.1 million last month for the right to negotiate with Matsuzaka. The Red Sox will pay that money to his Japanese team, the Seibu Lions, only if an agreement is reached.

If there is no deal, Matsuzaka's rights remain with the Lions, and he cannot be offered to major league teams again until next November. He is not eligible to become a free agent in Japan until after the 2008 season.

Lucchino and general manager Theo Epstein showed up unannounced in California on Monday for face-to-face talks with Matsuzaka's agent, Scott Boras.

Red Sox officials left the building where Boras' offices are located shortly before 7 p.m. ET Tuesday, returned about four hours later and stayed for 40 minutes before leaving again.

The Red Sox had said they would present their second offer at the meeting. The large amount bid by the Red Sox for Matsuzaka's rights complicated the negotiations. Boras said it shouldn't cause the team to decrease the salary that he thinks his client deserves.

"Free-agent pitchers who are 26 and have Matsuzaka-like ability receive salaries in excess of $100 million over five or six years in free agency," Boras said at a news conference Monday night.

Epstein agreed Matsuzaka is worth $100 million, but his calculations include the posting fee.

"That magnitude is certainly the right ballpark for the commitment of the ballclub," Epstein said

Matsuzaka has a 108-60 career record in Japan with a 2.95 ERA and 1,355 strikeouts in 204 games. He was MVP of the inaugural World Baseball Classic last March, won by Japan.

Late Monday, Henry had sounded miffed about Boras' approach.

"We're on Scott Boras' doorstep because he hasn't negotiated with us thus far and we're taking the fight directly to him, the fight to have a negotiation here," he said during a conference call.

Information from The Associated Press was

How can a pitcher whos NEVER faced Major League hitters dare be considred worth $100 million? How hilarious will it be if this guy ends up like Hideki Irabu? Way to spend your green Sox fan,better hope his "Gyro" ball is worth it.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Because guys who have pitched in MLB and are mediocre get 11 million per year. Gil Meche out front should have told you......

The Sox will make the posting money back 10 fold in opening up the Asian market.....
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Neely8 wrote:Because guys who have pitched in MLB and are mediocre get 11 million per year. Gil Meche out front should have told you......

The Sox will make the posting money back 10 fold in opening up the Asian market.....
buwahahaha

keep spending the $$ theo.

ok, so he'll bring in ten fold the amount paid? so 100mil x10? buwahahahaha
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

I said he will bring in 10 times the posting price of 51 million. The sales of merchandise and TV rights for his games alone will be big money in the Sox pocket. Over 6 years I think it could equal 500 million sure......
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

looking at the money that meche and marquis recently got....

...6 years at 52 million seems like a steal to me.

btw neely, all merchandise profits** are split equally amongst all of mlb. the sox make tv money for sox games broadcast on NESN only. all other tv profits (say you purchase the "mlb package" from you local cable company, the games on fox and espn, the post-season games, etc) are split equally amongst mlb... this includes any and all live feeds back to asia.

** save for every team's home store (like the sox one right outside of fenway). all merchandise profits from this one store go directly into the home team's coffers.

bottom line -- most of that 500 million dollar figure (i'd like to know where you got this number) you threw out there is split 30 ways.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Neely8 wrote:I said he will bring in 10 times the posting price of 51 million. The sales of merchandise and TV rights for his games alone will be big money in the Sox pocket. Over 6 years I think it could equal 500 million sure......
its over 100mil dickjaw

51 mil to sign(buwahahahahahaha)
50+ in contract(guarenteed contract)

so they will bring in over 1Billion?

buwhahahaha nice job theo
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Daisuke Matsuzaka will cost the Red Sox approx. $102 Million over the next 6 years.

He has a $52 Million Contract for the next 6 years.

There is a difference.

Either way, he will cost the Red Sox on average.. about $17 million/year..

Mike Mussina signed a 6-year, $88.5 million contract with the Yankees on November 30, 2000.
His record has gone 102-53 with an ERA of 3.85 over that time.

Total amount spent is similar to Mussina's contract in 2000.

I don't know what the value of 88.5 Million in 2000 is equivalent to in 2006 but for sake of argument...
Let's see if Matsuzaka can pitch as good as or better than Mussina has pitched for the Yankees.

Other Pitcher salaries to compare Matsuzaka's average cost to.

Andy Pettitte- $16.5 Mill/yr
Randy Johnson - $ 15.6 Mil/yr
Pedro Martinez - $14.8 Mil/yr
Roger Clemens - $22/Mil/yr .. if he plays!!
Johan Santana - $8.75 Mil/yr
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Andy Pettitte- $16.5 Mill/yr
Randy Johnson - $ 15.6 Mil/yr
Pedro Martinez - $14.8 Mil/yr
Roger Clemens - $22/Mil/yr .. if he plays!!
Johan Santana - $8.75 Mil/yr
those guys have dominated mlb hitters, no comparison, and comparing these guys to the jap is a joke.

the jap faced spring trainning hitters, none of the mlb players were in game shape, which is why the best teams were sent home in 1st couple rounds of playoffs.
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Jack can you ever justify the Red Sox without comparing them with the Yankees?
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

JCT wrote:Jack can you ever justify the Red Sox without comparing them with the Yankees?
???? Justify???

WTF???

Who else has paid close to $100 million for a pitcher for a 6 year contract??
I wrote:Let's see if Matsuzaka can pitch as good as or better than Mussina has pitched for the Yankees.

It's about comparing him to Mussina, not the Yankees!!

Mussina's contract is the most comparable contract. Find me another one that is comparable from another team.

I am just saying time will tell whether this was a good deal or not and comparing his salary to some of the current top paid a/o top quality pitchers.

I would without hesitation take Santana and his contract over all of the mentioned pitchers, including Matsuzaka!!

I have no idea whether he will be a good pitcher or not.. I have never seen the man pitch!!
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Jack wrote:
JCT wrote:Jack can you ever justify the Red Sox without comparing them with the Yankees?
???? Justify???

WTF???

Who else has paid close to $100 million for a pitcher for a 6 year contract??
I wrote:Let's see if Matsuzaka can pitch as good as or better than Mussina has pitched for the Yankees.

It's about comparing him to Mussina, not the Yankees!!

Mussina's contract is the most comparable contract. Find me another one that is comparable from another team.

I am just saying time will tell whether this was a good deal or not and comparing his salary to some of the current top paid a/o top quality pitchers.

I would without hesitation take Santana and his contract over all of the mentioned pitchers, including Matsuzaka!!

I have no idea whether he will be a good pitcher or not.. I have never seen the man pitch!![/quote]

Funny, but I have a feeling Epstein uttered that same line right before they decided to sign him.

I have seen him pitch,hes good,but he also wasnt facing any real major league hitters. The Sox should have used that dough to upgrade the bullpen instead of signing an unproven pitcher with a hard to pronounce name.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro