Are you a racist?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Are you a racist?

Post by Mikey »

...unconsciously?

Go to this link, click on "demonstration", and follow the links to the "race" test.

Interesting...

I thought my responses were pretty neutral, but it said I had a "strong automatic preference for white people over black people".

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

Found the site this morning from this opinion piece:
We're all racists, unconsciously
Kramer just blurted out what unfortunately comes naturally to all of us.
By Michael Shermer
MICHAEL SHERMER is the publisher of Skeptic magazine and a monthly columnist for Scientific American. His latest book is "Why Darwin Matters."

November 24, 2006

AFTER A PAROXYSM of racial viciousness at the Laugh Factory last week, Michael Richards, the 57-year-old comedian who played Kramer on "Seinfeld," explained to David Letterman and his "Late Night" audience Monday: "I'm not a racist. That's what's so insane about this."

Richards' shattered demeanor and heartfelt repentance leaves us with what I shall call Kramer's Conundrum: How can someone who spews racial epithets genuinely believe he is not a racist? The answer is to be found in the difference between our conscious and unconscious attitudes and our public and private thoughts.

Consciously and publicly, Richards is probably not a racist. But unconsciously and privately, he is. So am I. So are you.

Consciously and publicly, most of us are colorblind. And most of us, most of the time, believe and act on that cultural requisite. You'd have to be insane to publicly utter racist remarks in today's society … or temporarily insane, which both science and the law recognize as sometimes being triggered by anger.

And alcohol — recall Mel Gibson's drunken eruption about Jews, or the college frat boys slurring alcohol-induced insanities about blacks and slavery in Sacha Baron Cohen's film "Borat."

The insidiousness of racism is because of the fact that it arises out of the deep recesses of our unconscious. We may be unaware of it, yet it lurks there.

How do we know this? One indication is the Implicit Association Test, developed by Harvard scientists, which asks subjects to pair words and concepts. The more closely associated the words and concepts are, the quicker the response to them will be in the key-pressing sorting task (try it yourself at https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/ ).

The race test firsts asks you to sort black and white faces into one of two categories: European American or African American. Easy. Next you are asked to sort a list of words (joy, terrible, love, agony, peace, horrible, wonderful, nasty, pleasure) into one of two categories: Good or Bad. No problem.

The next task is a little more complicated. The words and black and white faces appear on the screen one at a time, and you sort them into one of these categories: African American/Good or European American/Bad. Again you match the words with the concepts of good or bad, and faces with national origin. So the word "joy" would go into the first category and a white face would go into the second category. This sorting goes noticeably slower, but you might expect that because the combined categories are more cognitively complex.

Unfortunately, the final sorting task puts the lie to that rationalization. This time you sort the words and faces into the categories European American/Good or African American/Bad. Tellingly (and distressingly), this sorting process goes much faster than the previous one. I was much quicker to associate words like "joy," "love" and "pleasure" with European American/Good than I did with African American/Good.

I consider myself about as socially liberal as you can get, and yet on a scale that includes "slight," "moderate" and "strong," the program concluded: "Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American compared to African American." What? "The interpretation is described as 'automatic preference for European American' if you responded faster when European American faces and Good words were classified with the same key than when African American faces and Good words were classified with the same key."

But I'm not a racist. How can this be? It turns out that this subconscious association of good with European Americans is true for everyone, even African Americans, no matter how colorblind we all claim to be.

We are by nature sorters. Evolutionists theorize that we evolved in small bands of hunter-gatherers when there was a selection for within-group amity and between-group enmity. With our fellow in-group members, we are cooperative and altruistic. Unfortunately, the downside to this pro-social bonding is that we are also quite tribal and xenophobic to out-group members.

This natural tendency to sort people into Within-Group/Good and Between-Group/Bad is shaped by culture, so that all Americans (including even those whose ancestry is African) implicitly inculcate the cultural association, which includes additional prejudices.

The Harvard test, in fact, also demonstrates that we prefer young to old, thin to fat, straight to gay and such associations as family-females and career-males, liberal arts-females and science-males. Such associations bubble just below the surface, inhibited by cultural restraints but susceptible to eruption under extreme inebriation or duress.

Richards' sin was his deed; his thoughts are the sin of all humanity. Only when all people are considered to be members of one global in-group (in principle if not in practice) can we begin to attenuate these out-group associations. But it won't be easy. Vigilance is the watchword of both freedom and dignity.

We should accept Richards' apology for losing his temper and acting out those hateful thoughts. Perhaps we also ought to thank him for having the courage to confess in public what far too many of us still harbor in private, often in our unconscious minds. As the Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoyevsky wrote: "Every man has reminiscences which he would not tell to everyone but only his friends. He has other matters in his mind which he would not reveal even to his friends, but only to himself, and that in secret. But there are other things which a man is afraid to tell even to himself, and every decent man has a number of such things stored away in his mind."
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

People need to start learning to make the proper distinction between racism and mere culturalism...
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Van wrote:People need to start learning to make the proper distinction between racism and mere culturalism...
Yeah I know, but if I had titled the thread, "Do you have a cultural preference for white people?", would you have opened it?
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between Dark Skin and Light Skin.
But Mississipppidumbfuck says I'm a racist, so obviously Harvard is full of shit
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Van wrote:People need to start learning to make the proper distinction between racism and mere culturalism...
I don't hate blacks, but I hate "keeping it real".
why is my neighborhood on fire
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

I'm going with a "flawed testing process". If they switched the order I bet it would have shown different results. I made no "mistakes" in the first half, but when they switch around the categories for the 2nd half, I had several mistakes (3 or 4).
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

took another one ...
Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Judaism compared to Other Religions.
No shit, really?
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote:Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

I'm going with a "flawed testing process". If they switched the order I bet it would have shown different results. I made no "mistakes" in the first half, but when they switch around the categories for the 2nd half, I had several mistakes (3 or 4).
I'm told I have a strong automatic preference for Euro-Americans. But then, I already knew that, and answered the questions at the end honestly, not how I thought the assessors wanted them answered. I got only one red "x" during the test, and it was in the first half.

I know I have racist tendencies, as most of us do. Mine have gotten stronger since moving to the east coast, too. I don't act on them, or at least try not to. But I know they're there. I'd like to think I don't have them, and wish I didn't. But I do, and have to deal with 'em.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Luther
Old Coot

Post by Luther »

Mr. mvscal, Your data indicates that you are the whitest guy to ever take our test.

--Harvard

Rip City
T1B Rules of Operation:

4. Forums. If you don't like it, leave. It is that simple.
----

OK, bye.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I dont need to take a test for me to know that I prefer to hang out w/ whites over blacks. I have a few black acquaintances who are really good people, but I dont have much in common w/ them.

I find most black people to be obnoxious and inconsiderate of others.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Racist?

Bwaaaaaaaaaaa

BTW- What do you call 50+ White Guys chasing a Black Man?

The PGA Tour.....
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Y2K wrote:Racist?

Bwaaaaaaaaaaa

BTW- What do you call 50+ White Guys chasing a Cablinasian?

The PGA Tour.....

FTFY-NC
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

does the act of checking those "race"
boxes on a lot of forms make one a "racist" ??
I think we should shit can all of that and go by the
character of the person and not skin color/race--
seems to me some famous man suggested that
years ago and it is a philosophy that I follow !!
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Cicero wrote:I find most black people to be obnoxious and inconsiderate of others.
Translation: "The Brothers of the 'hood has more smarts than me."

Fucking tard.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

is it racist, if you hate every ethnicity equally?

are you racist, if you hate people of your own color?

Noone is hated more than the african-Americans. jamaicans,haitans, africans, euro blacks, whites, mesicans, asians, jewish all pretty much have a severe dislike for the american blacks. so are they all racist?

noone has more hate for the african americans than the haitans and jamaicans. the KKK would be envious of their hatred for the american blecks. I met several of them in Florida doing construction, and it was offensive how bad they hated and talked shit about them. Mvscal would of been proud
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

this test is shit. they start out with black/good and white /bad. then, they do black/bad and white good. Ofcourse you will get better at playing the game as you get more familiar with it. I bet if they reversed the order. you'd see alot of opposite results. but, that wouldn't suite the purposes of the pussy harvard social workers.

Bottom line, mikey, you owe me 10 minutes of my life back, ya fat bastard.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

^^^

What he said.

At least the final results could be more forthcoming, i.e. "Bobby, you're beautiful, man!"
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

black people dont use their turn signals.

i hate them for that.

alot of them seem to get hit on bicycles as well.

ride the huffy you stole on the correct side of the road and i wont run into your "bad leg" and offer you cigarettes and 7 dollars not to call the cops.
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

black people don't use their turn signals.

must be contagious here in SW FL for people of
all colors and creeds !!

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

no, its just the blacks
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Turn signal?

:?
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

and politeness too

not very nice, those people
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Bobby42 wrote:^^^

What he said.

At least the final results could be more forthcoming, i.e. "Bobby, you're beautiful, man!"
so bob, do you hate black folk too according to this shit test?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

No, Forrest.

You didn't read that so don't go there.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Wolfman wrote:back at cny
There was a black
in my history class--
I talked to him twice!
he was well spoken.
those were good times.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

quite obviously "Mr.Bushice"
does not know me !!

no surprise there !!

Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

I don't think a computer click test says anything worthwhile.

Try this..

Choose one

ImageorImage

Imageor Image

ImageorImage
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

4, 1, 3, 5, 2
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Hey Smackie,

there are 6 of them. Do you want to re-order??
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Didn't see that you'd hidden Rosie off to the right to keep her all to yourself.

5, 1, 4, 6, 3, 2

Tom Waits
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Jack wrote: Image

plus

equals

FTFY
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Cuda,

You are now responsible for cleaning the soup off of my screen!!
(I did not see any disclaimer before viewing that post about...
"DO NOT EAT OR DRINK while viewing..)

Hey Smackie,

I was trying to save you and this is the thanks I get!!

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Jack wrote:Hey Smackie,

I was trying to save you and this is the thanks I get!!
I'm just glad you didn't ask me if I wanted to re-order after Cuda's pic of the drive-thru window.

Tom Waits
Money Shot
Elwood

Post by Money Shot »

The Seer wrote:
Y2K wrote:Racist?

Bwaaaaaaaaaaa

BTW- What do you call 50+ White Guys chasing a Cablinasian?

The PGA Tour.....

FTFY-NC
Shawnie golfs?
Gunslinger
Sir Slappy Tits

Post by Gunslinger »

Cuda wrote:
Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between Dark Skin and Light Skin.
But Mississipppidumbfuck says I'm a racist, so obviously Harvard is full of shit
Clueless bastard, thats what your fat wife asked you about on Thanksgiving about your turkey choices, while your kids were fucking on the couch.
I fucking suck.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Well, well, well... look who makes an appearance: Cumswiller- The only troll who could possibly make Diego look manly.

Done wanking to the PSIII pics of your latest w-i-g-g-e-r twink obsession? Or just taking a break for a few minutes?
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Hi everyone. I just want to know if it's proper to say someone is a racist "UNconsciously". Wouldn't they be in a state of mind to not think anything at all? Shouldn't it be "are you a racist SUBconsciously?"

This is bothering me.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

patsy,

There is no racial biggotry here. I do not look down upon mvscals, kikes, wops, or greasers... Here you're all equally worthless.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

patsy stone wrote:I just want to know if it's proper to say someone is a racist "UNconsciously". Wouldn't they be in a state of mind to not think anything at all? Shouldn't it be "are you a racist SUBconsciously?"
It is proper to use unconsciously in this context. Roget lists unconscious and subconscious as synonyms, and among the definitions of unconscious are:

* not perceived at the level of awareness; occurring below the level of conscious thought: an unconscious impulse.

* not consciously realized, planned, or done; without conscious volition or intent: an unconscious social slight.

Tom Waits
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Birds of a feather flock together?

Frickin racist birds.