Sheffield traded to the Tigers

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Sheffield traded to the Tigers

Post by jiminphilly »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=26568

After their bats went silent in the WS I can see why they want to bolster the lineup a bit. Shoalzie where is he going to play?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

You got me...I'm stunned they did this move and they trade their #1 pitching prospect to the friggin' Yankees. They wouldn't trade Sanchez to get Soriano or Abreu...I'd take either of those guys for Sheffield. He's right handed and the Tigers have too many as it is and with Casey leaving town potentially, they only have a couple of left handed bats. I thought they would take a flyer on Soriano if they were to add another outfielder and/or right handed bat. I really hope they don't think about putting him at first...we saw how that worked out for the Yankees. The hot rumor around Detroit for a while has been Mark Teixeira for Bonderman to give them some big time stability at first. I will say that he has a prior relationship with Leyland back in his Marlins days...they might count for something. And he did sign an extension so he won't be the bastard he was claiming he didn't sign one. I'm wondering if this is the first of a few moves. I have to believe Monroe or Thames could be on their way out if they want to go with Sheffield in the outfield. Magglio is slowly breaking down physically and now they add another older free-swinging corner outfielder. I really hope this doesn't turn into a Red Wings situation where they mortgage their future to add some "win now" veteran talent.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Good move by the Yankees.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

As an avowed Sheffield hater I'm stunned that the Tigers would trade for such an overt cancer/never-was type of a player.

How old is Sheff now anyway? To me, this trade is a bust if the Tigers a) don't win the world series, b) Sheff doesn't play like he's on fire, or c) anyone that the Tigers traded away becomes a consistent big leageur.

There's desperation and then there's stupidity. This trade seem more like the latter to me.
Defense wins championships.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Blitzkrieg wrote:As an avowed Sheffield hater I'm stunned that the Tigers would trade for such an overt cancer/never-was type of a player.
The only thing I'll have some hope in is the fact he sounds receptive to playing again for Leyland and Dombrowski. The ESPN talking heads are saying Leyland would like to use him as the DH at hit him third in the order. When he's healthy, he's a quality bat...you can just put him on the list of risky moves by this team in the last few years. Pudge was thought to be somewhat washed up and he was just committing career suicide by joining the Tigers after the 119 loss season. Ordonez was pretty much shown the door by the Sox and the Tigers overpaid him just to get him to listen to their offers. Rogers last winter...an old soft-tossing lefty with an anger problem. Now, Sheffield is a free-swinging, often injured, and an outspoken figure that comes with a hefty price tag and baggage from previous teams. The Tigers have sort of a renegade group of guys and take on this 'us against the world' persona. They add another piece to their 'island of misfit toys' they call a baseball team. This could be their Rasheed Wallace trade that gets them the last few steps to the finish line like it did for the Pistons a couple years ago.
How old is Sheff now anyway? To me, this trade is a bust if the Tigers a) don't win the world series, b) Sheff doesn't play like he's on fire, or c) anyone that the Tigers traded away becomes a consistent big leageur.

There's desperation and then there's stupidity. This trade seem more like the latter to me.
Sheff turns 38 on the 18th of this month. He's the same age as Todd Jones. Rogers turned 42 yesterday and Pudge is 35. Mix in guys like Granderson who is 25, Robertson, Inge and Monroe are 29, Verlander is 23, Zumaya is 22 and Bonderman is 24. Guillen, Ordonez and Polanco are in their early 30s but they've been beat up for the last few years. They aren't too old of a team and they didn't trade away the young guys that are on the team and established. Who knows how good Sanchez will be. They won't trade Maybin, the centerfielder of the future, and they still have Miller, Miner, Ledezma, Tata and Jurrjens as young arms to develop within the system. They were bound to move some legite prospects to help fill holes on the roster. Thames proved during the postseason that wasn't reliable enough to be the every game DH. I'd imagine he's on his way out.

Yes, the league is littered with ex-Tigers who have had nice careers but none of them are what I'd deem to be superstars...
- Weaver pulled a few games out of his ass in the playoffs after being pulled off the scrap heap.
- The former 5-tool can't miss prospect, Encarnacion, played his way out of the everyday Cardinal lineup in the postseason.
- Tony Clark has become the one of the most coveted backup first basemen...which isn't exactly a flattering since he's not been able to be a consistsent starter since he left Detroit.
- Carlos Pena was another piece in the Weaver-Bonderman trade that flamed out but he couldn't cut it in Oakland and Texas didn't think enough of him to hang onto him with guys like Teixeira, Hafner and Blalock coming through their system.
- I can't believe Brian Moehler is still pitching right now and he's been a decent 4th or 5th starter in Florida.
- Damion Easley is reduced to being a utility man wherever he plays.
- Nook Logan never panned out as the Tigers' everyday CF...he finds himself now with the Nats.
- Mark Redman had one decent year with the Tigers before bouncing around...they did get Robertson in return for him from the Marlins.
- Bobby Higginson...he gone and never to be heard from again.

Blitz, are you actually clamoring to get any of these guys back instead of the team they have now?
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

Terrible,Id be pissed if i was classy Tiger fan. What a Jackass G Shef is.
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Thank God,
Sin,
Yankee Fan
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Trampis wrote:Terrible,Id be pissed if i was classy Tiger fan. What a Jackass G Shef is.

I don't know what distinguishes someone as a 'classy Tiger fan' but I've never seen a Tiger fan make a trade before nor can they veto one. Fans' hands are tied on this matter.

My faith has been restored in this franchise this past year and I'm not letting a trade derail this momentum. Sheffield wasn't the first guy I wanted them to go after but if he wants to keep his attitude in check and contribute on the field, I can at least embrace him as a Tiger. The only player right now that I could never embrace is Bonds...thankfully we in Tigerland won't have to deal with (knock on wood). I don't know if that means I'm not classy but if I was able to grow to like Kenny Rogers, I might grow to like Sheff. As big of a bastard he might be, he'd have a hard time one-upping the all-time Tiger bastard, Ty Cobb. I used the Rasheed Wallace comparison to this move...I certainly didn't like Sheed prior to joining the Pistons but he came over and wasn't a huge problem and lead them to championship over the Lakers.
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

Shoalzie wrote:...but if I was able to grow to like Kenny Rogers, I might grow to like Sheff.
I never understood the hatred for Kenny Rogers. The guy had one bad day when he was in a pissy mood and he is uterly demonize. Christ wouldnt you guys get sick of having cameras in your face all the time? If I played professional sports,Id have a cameraman melt down once a year at least.
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Trampis wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:...but if I was able to grow to like Kenny Rogers, I might grow to like Sheff.
I never understood the hatred for Kenny Rogers. The guy had one bad day when he was in a pissy mood and he is uterly demonize. Christ wouldnt you guys get sick of having cameras in your face all the time? If I played professional sports,Id have a cameraman melt down once a year at least.
Rogers has always been known to be somewhat of a dick to everyone around him.
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Jared Wright just got his gas can ass shipped to Baltimore.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

JCT wrote:Jared Wright just got his gas can ass shipped to Baltimore.

Glad to see that 93 octane stay within the division.........
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Neely8 wrote:
JCT wrote:Jared Wright just got his gas can ass shipped to Baltimore.

Glad to see that 93 octane stay within the division.........

Wright does get reunited with Leo Mazzone in Baltimore...this could turn out to be a nice little deal for the Orioles if Leo can work his magic. Wright had success with him in Atlanta...why can't it happen in Baltimore?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Shoalzie wrote:Yes, the league is littered with ex-Tigers who have had nice careers but none of them are what I'd deem to be superstars...
- Weaver pulled a few games out of his ass in the playoffs after being pulled off the scrap heap.
- The former 5-tool can't miss prospect, Encarnacion, played his way out of the everyday Cardinal lineup in the postseason.
- Tony Clark has become the one of the most coveted backup first basemen...which isn't exactly a flattering since he's not been able to be a consistsent starter since he left Detroit.
- Carlos Pena was another piece in the Weaver-Bonderman trade that flamed out but he couldn't cut it in Oakland and Texas didn't think enough of him to hang onto him with guys like Teixeira, Hafner and Blalock coming through their system.
- I can't believe Brian Moehler is still pitching right now and he's been a decent 4th or 5th starter in Florida.
- Damion Easley is reduced to being a utility man wherever he plays.
- Nook Logan never panned out as the Tigers' everyday CF...he finds himself now with the Nats.
- Mark Redman had one decent year with the Tigers before bouncing around...they did get Robertson in return for him from the Marlins.
- Bobby Higginson...he gone and never to be heard from again.
You could've thrown Gonzo in there as well, although that would've been a more potent argument a few years back.

Btw, good luck with Sheff, Tiger fan. You're gonna need it.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Jared Wright...gone.....another good move. Now are the Yanks dumping all this salary so they can make a run at Schmidt or some other overpriced, over the hill, dead arm free agent? Maybe Hideki Irabu's brother is out there.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Mayor is back for a second term...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/pres ... p&c_id=det

This obviously addresses the question about a left handed bat and who would play first. This also means any talk of Teixeira for Bonderman deals won't happen this year. When Teixeira's deal ends, there is talk he would like to come to Detroit...so that would be great to get him without having to give up Bonderman after they had to trade Sanchez to get Sheffield.

The projected lineup with the current roster:
Granderson CF
Polanco 2B
Sheffield DH
Ordonez RF
Guillen SS
Rodriguez C
Monroe LF
Casey 1B
Inge 3B

Good thump in the lineup but a lot of elephants on the basepath. Cameron Maybin can't make the jump to the pros any quicker.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Forgot to post it...Jamie Walker signed a three-year deal with the Orioles. The lefty setup role is open...I'm wonder who they will go after to fill the spot. Best wishes to The Cat in B'more...wish he could stayed with the Tigers.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Tigers are going to let Sheffield wear #3?

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/ml ... _id=122111

Why do they hate Tramm so much?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Tigers re-up with Bonderman...for a bargain.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 050/SPORTS

Just 25 and plenty of great years ahead of him...only $38 million over 4 years. When you compare that to Lilly get $10 million a year, Meche getting $11 million and Padilla getting $11.25 million...this is great deal for the Tigers. He and Verlander will anchor this rotation going into the next decade...nice number for him and hopefully Verlander can be a bargain signing in terms of the free agent market when his first deal ends.

Zumaya to the rotation? With Mesa signing, it could happen.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 70639/1050
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 0/SPORTS02

Inge re-signed a while back for 4 years, $24 million...a pretty good price tag.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 0/SPORTS02