Why is Roethlisberger still playing??

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Charlie Batch has shown he can do a better job. Roethlisberger is a mess right now! He no doubt has some lingering injuries from his Motorcycle accident.

Anyone dispute this???
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Why's he playing? How 'bout 'cuz he's had two pretty spectacular seasons prior to this.

... and you want Batch to start rather than Roethlisberger? Idiot. One has hardware to prove he can get the job done as a starter. The other doesn't. One's w/l record is among the best ever for a 2 yr. QB. The other doesn't.

As far as the accident and appendectomy go, I think it's a stretch to assume that both are leading to his bad play. What a crock. As far as we all know, he's got no recurring or lingering health issues. He's 100%. Think about it... just what could the accident have done that is affecting his play now... 5 months later. Nothing.

Couple rustiness with an o-line that is just not quite as good as they've been in the past, a depleted WR corp, and a running game that doesn't overpower any longer and you've got problems all around on the offense.

But I liked this part:
Charlie Batch has shown he can do a better job.
Versus the MIAMI FREAKIN' DOLPHINS. Trent Green in his mental incapacitated state could turn the Dolphins inside out through their asshole.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Ken wrote:As far as the accident and appendectomy go, I think it's a stretch to assume that both are leading to his bad play. What a crock. As far as we all know, he's got no recurring or lingering health issues. He's 100%. Think about it... just what could the accident have done that is affecting his play now... 5 months later. Nothing.
Ken, it may be a stretch to assume "both," are leading to his bad play, not much of a stretch though, and its no stretch to consider that one of the incidents may be effecting him.

I do have to ask you though, when was Big Bens "two pretty spectacular seasons prior to this." Please tell me you are not talking about 2004 and 2005. Sure the team, with some pretty spectacular players around him enjoyed great success and put up a ton of wins, running the ball and playing great defense, but Ol' Ben has been nothing other than mediocre......... at best.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

If you're saying he's 100% then that's even more reason to sit him down.

His performance has been atrocious. If he's 100% then there's no excuse and no remaining upside.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I base spectacular on his w/l record. Sorry, but with most any other QB, they would most definitely NOT have had the w/l record that Ben did, including Batch. Ben had/has the ability to to ignite and finish comebacks. He's proven it, just ask DallasFan. Long story short, there's more to being a great player than just stats. It's called 'just getting it fucking done', and Ben has done just that too many freakin' times for me to not give him the benefit of the doubt.

Now, Ben sure is doing his best to make it appear that he is just a mediocre QB that happened to be on a very good team. I'm somewhere in the middle. He ain't GREAT, and he sure ain't mediocre.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Ken, Im good with that I guess.

Lemme know when Ben starts "just getting it fucking done," THIS season. I will be more than happy to take up this debate with you if that should ever happen.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Ken wrote:Why's he playing? How 'bout 'cuz he's had two pretty spectacular seasons prior to this.

... and you want Batch to start rather than Roethlisberger? Idiot.

As far as the accident and appendectomy go, ...I don't care. I love Ben and I'd rather see him play hurt and lose than see anyone else give this team a chance to win..............

But I liked this part:
Charlie Batch has shown he can do a better job.
Versus the MIAMI FREAKIN' DOLPHINS. Trent Green in his mental incapacitated state could turn the Dolphins inside out through their asshole.
Ben Roethlisberger- PASSING ATT 102, Completed 55 for 569 yards and 0 Touchdowns Passer Rating 41.7

Charlie Batch - PASSING ATT 25, Completed 15 for 209 yards and 3 Touchdowns Passer Rating 126.5

I know Charlie isn't the BEST QB in the league but he is the better of the 2 right now. If you want to live in the past,
You must enjoy having your head up your ass!

Roethlisberger broke his jaw and nose in that accident. He suffered serious head injuries. He had a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost or chipped a number of teeth and has minor injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.
- You don't fully recover from shit like that in a few months. Then to add to the problem, he has to have an appendectomy!!

If you think he has recovered, watch how he plays!!

.as far as Miami being an easy team.. Have you actually watched Football ?? Miami has given up 91 points this season.
They have a Good D, but have an injured fumble prone, sack prone QB.

The Colts have given up 100, The Eagles have given up 97, Saint Louis has given up 97 and these teams lead their divisions.. Why? Because they have effective QBs and good offense to match. Their defenses are actually less effective than the Dolphins.

Cincinnati's D has given up 85, Jacksonville 74 (2 of the teams the Steelers have played this season). If the Steelers had a HEALTHY QB, I am guessing they would have won one of those games if not both. Because the Steelers weakest part of their current Offense is ... you name it...

BEN!!!

So, Kenny Boy, If you want to play injured players that cannot perform based on past success, remind me not to let you coach my team.

I have learned from watching Football. I am a Patriot's fan. We had a very good QB with a long history of success who became injured and guess what.. the Patriots played the backup QB. Do you know what happened next???
Three rings, four years!

You can't rest on past success, you got to keep pushing forward and stay in the game!!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jack wrote:Ben Roethlisberger- PASSING ATT 102, Completed 55 for 569 yards and 0 Touchdowns Passer Rating 41.7

Charlie Batch - PASSING ATT 25, Completed 15 for 209 yards and 3 Touchdowns Passer Rating 126.5

I know Charlie isn't the BEST QB in the league but he is the better of the 2 right now. If you want to live in the past,
You must enjoy having your head up your ass!
Really, I didn't read any further than this. Really. I've already addressed this point and if your head is far too asphalt-like to allow it to soak in, then it ain't worth it.
Ken

Post by Ken »

kcdave wrote:Ken, Im good with that I guess.

Lemme know when Ben starts "just getting it fucking done," THIS season. I will be more than happy to take up this debate with you if that should ever happen.
I'll happily revisit it w/you, dave. Let the record state that with the offense the Stillers have right now, I don't foresee Ben regaining his 'magic' like he had the past two seasons. On the flipside, I sure as hell don't foresee him playing as badly the rest of the season as he is now. No way.

You and I are similarly thinking... Ben just happens to be a good QB that was on a great team. How 'good' Ben was, is where we disagree, I guess.
Ken

Post by Ken »

psssssst
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, he played against the Chefs today.
Ken

Post by Ken »

and your point is...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

As a LionFan, I can tell you I've seen my fair share of Charlie Batch.

He simply isn't a viable alternative. Suggesting one should pull a Super Bowl winning quarterback, after a few games, in place of Charlie fucking Batch is quite possibly the funniest and most ridiculously profound thing I've ever read on the internet. Batch won't get it done on any sort of long term basis. Gameplanning against him is pathetically easy - you play to stop the run 98% of the time, because he'll be handing it off a lot. No coach has any confidence in his arm. And Batch's version of "making plays" is scrambling all over the field for a 2 yard gain.

He pulls a decent game out of his ass every now and then, but this guy doesn't have what it takes to be a starting NFL qb.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Batch isn't better than Big Ben. If you want to judge the two of them on a couple of performances, then be my guest...but that would really be hasty.

I think Batch is a far better backup than was Tommy Maddox - that much I know.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Ben played well today! It is my estimate that he has been injured and recovering the last few weeks and the Steelers would have had a better shot winning the games against Jacksonville and Cincinnati if Batch were playing.

Neither of the 2 QBs would have made a difference against the Chargers..

Either of the 2 QBs could beat the Chiefs.

Looking at the Steelers schedule the rest of the way, I figure that they will win 7 more and be in contention for the Wild Card but would have been a shoe in if the had won the games against Jacksonville and Cincinnati.

I am not saying Batch is better than a healthy Ben but he is better than the Ben we have seen up until this game against the Chiefs.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Reset..

A football player receiving a second concussion in a relatively brief time can be susceptible to succeeding concussions, according to various concussion-related studies by doctors who have studied the issue for the NFL. Also, a player receiving multiple concussions in a brief time span may need a longer recovery time before playing again than one coming off his initial concussion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2637008

Just sayin'
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

My whole point is, I think the Steelers brought Ben back too soon. He is a good QB when healthy but that wreck effected his play, made him less mobile and made him more susceptible to injury.

I would have kept Batch in a little longer. I don't think it would have negatively effected the teams win-loss and it would have preserved Ben for the long term..

Brain injuries are something you shouldn't take lightly....

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Jack wrote:Reset..

A football player receiving a second concussion in a relatively brief time can be susceptible to succeeding concussions, according to various concussion-related studies by doctors who have studied the issue for the NFL. Also, a player receiving multiple concussions in a brief time span may need a longer recovery time before playing again than one coming off his initial concussion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2637008

Just sayin'
Ben is practicing this Wednesday. Apparently his concussion wasn't that severe.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:Ben is practicing this Wednesday. Apparently his concussion wasn't that severe.
Yeah...he looks good to go. Just kinda point him in the general direction of the huddle.

Or maybe you could give him a week off. Batch should be able to handle the Duhs.
He was on the sidelines 20 minutes later. If that concussion was anything more than mild, he would have been taken to the hospital and put under constant observation. No way the Steelers would have let their franchise QB wander around the sidelines while needing medical attention.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Jack wrote:My whole point is, I think the Steelers brought Ben back too soon.
Typing on the internet, yeah, it's easy to say so.
I'm sure the doctors, Ben, and those in the Steeler organization have their own view too.

But yeah, from where I sit, I agree with you, Jack.

Seemed to me that he came back too soon.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Here's the latest.
"He had an MRI done on his brain and neck. Both of those came back normal," Cowher said. "We also did the impact test, the concussion test. We're very encouraged by the results. We'll monitor his progress as the week goes on."

And, in case anyone missed it, Cowher repeated, "Again, I emphasize that we're very encouraged by where he's at as we speak today."

Cowher officially will list his quarterback as "questionable" on the injury list today and that officially means he has a 50 percent chance of playing. Unofficially, it's probably up to the quarterback himself, and he has a history of going full steam ahead.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06298/732710-66.stm

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

BSmack wrote:Here's the latest.
"He had an MRI done on his brain and neck. Both of those came back normal," Cowher said. "We also did the impact test, the concussion test. We're very encouraged by the results. We'll monitor his progress as the week goes on."

And, in case anyone missed it, Cowher repeated, "Again, I emphasize that we're very encouraged by where he's at as we speak today."

Cowher officially will list his quarterback as "questionable" on the injury list today and that officially means he has a 50 percent chance of playing. Unofficially, it's probably up to the quarterback himself, and he has a history of going full steam ahead.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06298/732710-66.stm
Watch outside the lines on Sunday.. they are doing a special on how the NFL views and treats concussions.. their lead "expert" on concussions isn't even a nuero-surgeon. There is plenty of data done on studies of retired and college players that suggest the NFL is taking the wrong approach to handling concussions.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

jiminphilly wrote:Watch outside the lines on Sunday.. they are doing a special on how the NFL views and treats concussions.. their lead "expert" on concussions isn't even a nuero-surgeon. There is plenty of data done on studies of retired and college players that suggest the NFL is taking the wrong approach to handling concussions.
Well the guy testing Ben is Dr. Joseph Maroon. He's from UPMC. They're the same guys who patched up Ben's face after the accident. Besides, the Steelers have no need after the way Batch played to rush Ben back into the lineup if he's anything other than 100%.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jack wrote:My whole point is, I think the Steelers brought Ben back too soon.
If this place had a beach ball-sized rolleyes at everyone's disposal, it still wouldn't be big enough in this instance.
Ken

Post by Ken »

BSmack wrote:Besides, the Steelers have no need after the way Batch played to rush Ben back into the lineup if he's anything other than 100%.
And that, I agree with. Sit the guy for another week. Please.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Ken wrote:
BSmack wrote:Besides, the Steelers have no need after the way Batch played to rush Ben back into the lineup if he's anything other than 100%.
If he's not 100% mentaly, I agree with that. They're at the point in the season where one more fuckup would pretty much end the season. But if he's mentaly ready to go, I want Ben to get his reps this weekend so he'll be ready, and not rusty for Denver next week.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

BSmack wrote:
Ken wrote:
If he's not 100% mentaly, I agree with that. They're at the point in the season where one more fuckup would pretty much end the season. But if he's mentaly ready to go, I want Ben to get his reps this weekend so he'll be ready, and not rusty for Denver next week.
Ben very well might be at the point where one more concussion could end his career. The Steelers season is all but over so let Ben recover for a few weeks, let Batch play and try again next year.
Ken

Post by Ken »

BSmack wrote:
Ken wrote:
He shouldn't paly for other reasons... his health. Mentally, do you really think he's not itching to get out there? Of course he is. He's ready in that capacity.

He needs to give that brain of his another week's rest seeing as how it's been pretty well slammed to and fro inside his skull. Hell, he could use a freakin' YEAR off for that matter.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Ken wrote:He shouldn't paly for other reasons... his health. Mentally, do you really think he's not itching to get out there? Of course he is. He's ready in that capacity.

He needs to give that brain of his another week's rest seeing as how it's been pretty well slammed to and fro inside his skull. Hell, he could use a freakin' YEAR off for that matter.
If legitimate medical people say he's suffered zero in the way of damage, then I'll defer to their opinions. Now if they're being pressured by the team/player to produce conclusions that don't match the data, that's an entirely different situation.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

I say AGAIN!!

Hell, in the Game against the lowly Oakland Raiders just started and already he has thrown 2 picks, 1 for aTD and been sacked twice. It isn't even the 2nd quarter, yet!

I am primarily a Patriot's fan but I do follow the Steelers.

Cowher is a PigHeaded iodot!!

What is worng with Batch? What is wrong with allowing your QB to recuperate?

Come on Ken, go get them Big beach ball-sized rolleyes and send them to Cowher - via express mail!!
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

make that 3 INT's.

overrated gift of a superbowl chumps.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

How can the Raiders be the worst team in football when we just punked the Super Bowl champs and their pudding headed QB?

RACK the Raider defense!
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jesus, this ain't even worthy of a response other than... nah fuck it. I'm too tired. Call yourself an idiot, jack.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

Ken wrote:Jesus, this ain't even worthy of a response other than... nah fuck it. I'm too tired. Call yourself an idiot, jack.
I called myself an idiot. I called YOU!

enjoy yourself , Kenny boy!!
As far as the accident and appendectomy go, I think it's a stretch to assume that both are leading to his bad play. What a crock. As far as we all know, he's got no recurring or lingering health issues. He's 100%. Think about it... just what could the accident have done that is affecting his play now... 5 months later. Nothing.
On the flipside, I sure as hell don't foresee him playing as badly the rest of the season as he is now. No way.
5 sacks and 4 INTs to a team that was 1-5... Is that as badly??
There, you started listening to me... starting to make sense!!
and again, you started to see the light!!

So, what happened??

Do you think Cowher made the right move today???
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Absolutely. Ben is the #1 QB. He threw 4 picks, but he still kept coming, and he still made plays. His picks didn't lose the game any more than did the stupid-ass personal foul penalties the Steelers committed.

Wise Steeler fans are not pissing their pants because the team isn't going to win the Super Bowl this year. Ben is a young QB that led the team to a championship last year, and will probably do so again in the near future.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Jack
enigma

Post by Jack »

PSUfan,

Did you watch the game??

The Raiders Offense DID NOT SCORE a TD!!

Chris Carr returned an interception by Ben Roethlisberger 100 yards for a touchdown, Nnamdi Asomugha also took back an interception for a score and the Raiders mounted a late goal-line stand to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers 20-13 Sunday.

Roethlisberger, playing a week after being knocked out with a concussion against Atlanta, struggled from the start. He threw interceptions on two of Pittsburgh's first three possessions and then twice again in the fourth quarter when the Steelers were driving for a potential tying score.

That's 14 points off from 2 INTs!!

Roethlisberger finished 25-for-37 for 301 yards, but 197 yards came after Pittsburgh fell behind 20-6.

He can throw!! It's just a question..TO WHOM?

Yes, Ben is the #1 when his head is straight and his body is able to receive messages from his brain in a timely fashion but it wasn't ready on Sunday versus the Raiders.

Read the clip from ESPN below...

The SuperBowl defending Steelers are in last place largely because they played Ben this year instead of letting his dome and body recover from a near fatal motorcycle accident.

The Pittsburgh Steelers learned the hard way that you should not start a QB who is as beat up as Ben Roethlisberger (right). Big Ben did not look right all day. He looked like he was still suffering from the symptoms of his second concussion of the season. The game simply looked like it was moving too quickly for Big Ben on Sunday.
The Raiders' offense struggled once again, but the opportunistic defense continues to pave the way as they forced four Roethlisberger interceptions. Once again Pittsburgh was completely out of character as its offensive line and run game was dominated in the trenches. This is a Pittsburgh team that has lost its identity and the Raiders were able to expose that.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261029013
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Amazing how many sports reporters there are who are also have medical degrees. :meds:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

I think it's less about Ben's medical condition and more about the big meany defensive players who say such nasty things to him during the game. Not nice, NOT NICE!

I can't believe the Browns have to share last place with a team that got dickslapped by a team led by Art Shell
and whose owner was caught on camera doing a dead-on Terri Schiavo impression.
Ken

Post by Ken »

PSU, it ain't worth. Trust me. I mean, this is jack we're talking about. JACK. Put 'wolfman' above his posts and you wouldn't know the diff. If there ever was a poster who's opinion doesn't matter, it's him.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Wolfman doesn't have a tittie show in his avatard.