Has Mike "Stupes" always taught cheapshotting?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

The Seer
Just the Facts

Has Mike "Stupes" always taught cheapshotting?

Post by The Seer »

That Az squad was bush. Took out our starting QB with a dive for a planted leg a good 3 seconds after the ball was released. Took out our middle LB on a late hit diving for his ankle. Other questionable hits did not result in injuries....

He is a loudmouthed dick.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

he's a piece of crap.

horrible head coach, might be worst in Division 1. and thats not a stretch.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

There are times when I think the veins in his neck are going burst. Methinks he has some anger management issues.

Can't speak to his coaching, but damn that guy has a temper.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Believe the Heupel wrote:I just wish he'd come back and teach our defense to hit anyone anytime.

He'd be better off to do so. Head Coach in the Pac-10 has traditionally been a Gentleman's gig. Walsh, Donnahue, Brooks, Skippy, Pete, Doba, Willingham, Tedford, Tomey, Riley . . .and many more,

and not to forget the guy who put the Gentleman in Gentleman's Club, Mike Price.

Meathead football can beat a Pac-10 team, but can't win in the Pac-10. It's the tactition's realm.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Believe the Heupel wrote:I just wish he'd come back and teach our defense to hit anyone anytime.

But yeah, his defenses were typically pretty agressive and while I don't know that they would cheapshot there were probably quite a few questionable hits.

And "loudmouth dick" is probably a decent assessment of the guy.
Back in 01 I do remember Rocky Calmus nonchalantly rolling D'Juan Groce's ankle after a big return, thus taking D'Juan out of the game. Whether it was something supported by Mike I have no idea.

This is year three, Zona was supposed to at least start being a player in the Pac, their offense hasn't progressed a bit. Tuitama was supposed to be a difference-maker at qb, he's done squat. Stoops was supposed to be a savior, he obviously hasn't been, but he'll get another year, but just one more. If Zona can't scrape-together a bowl-team in 07 dude is back to being the fiery DC. Some guys just aren't meant to be the big-cheese.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Q wrote:Meathead football can beat a Pac-10 team, but can't win in the Pac-10. It's the tactition's realm.
Nonsense. That's a media driven fallacy.

Football is football. The winners are the ones who control the trenches, Pac 10 included.

The "tacticians" thing makes for great coaches getting recognition and greater jobs on down the line, sure, but how many Pac 10 titles did Bill Walsh, Mike Price or any of those other guys ever win?

In the end it still comes down to being more physical and having better athletes than the other team.

Whether it was USC under McKay, Robinson or Carroll or Washington under Don James it's always been the same: Beat up the other team and then your athletes can do their thing. "Schemes" mean precisely squat when your QB is on his back and your linebackers are getting pancaked. Physically dominate the line of scrimmage on offense and you get Student Body Right and Heisman QBs. Physically dominate the line of scrimmage on defense and you win big OOC road games and you play for national titles.

Fail to do those two things and you get into a lot of 42-38 shootouts. You'll be entertaining, sure, but you won't win any championships.
Last edited by Van on Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

The Seer wrote:Has Mike "Stupes" always taught cheapshotting?
Can't speak for his time at OU, but his K-State defenses would routinely rack up 100 yards in penalties per game by themselves.

Having ESPN put a camera on him in full meltdown mode in the upstairs booth the night Purdue hung 37 on the kitties in the Alamo Bowl was one of the funniest things ever shown on that network.

It's safe to say he won't ever have a D-1 HC job again after Arizona cans his ass.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Stanford has made several bush league hits over the years
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Degenerate wrote:Having ESPN put a camera on him in full meltdown mode in the upstairs booth the night Purdue hung 37 on the kitties in the Alamo Bowl was one of the funniest things ever shown on that network.
Which is why if I can catch 'Zona on the tube I'll check it out hoping for some unsuspecting official to drop a yellow on Ol' Mikey's squad that he just might take exception to, or some bonehead sophomore dropping one that hit him between the digits.

Dude is Woody Hayes part two.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
Danimal wrote:

But yeah, his defenses were typically pretty agressive and while I don't know that they would cheapshot there were probably quite a few questionable hits.

And "loudmouth dick" is probably a decent assessment of the guy.
Back in 01 I do remember Rocky Calmus nonchalantly rolling D'Juan Groce's ankle after a big return, thus taking D'Juan out of the game. Whether it was something supported by Mike I have no idea.

This is year three, Zona was supposed to at least start being a player in the Pac, their offense hasn't progressed a bit. Tuitama was supposed to be a difference-maker at qb, he's done squat. Stoops was supposed to be a savior, he obviously hasn't been, but he'll get another year, but just one more. If Zona can't scrape-together a bowl-team in 07 dude is back to being the fiery DC. Some guys just aren't meant to be the big-cheese.

Forgot about that one, though I recall OU fans having a different perspective on the play than NU fans.

Agree completely with your second paragraph.
I know OU fans saw it differently but I just don't buy it. The play was over. D'Juan Groce was fine. Calmus was laying on his feet. A moment later Groce is screaming while Calmus rolls over with Groce's ankle still in his control. He could have just gotten-up like a normal person(pushed himself off the ground and stood up) or at least let go of the ankle before he rolled, instead the most important player on our team after Crouch was taken out of the game. It is your right to give Calmus the benefit-of-the-doubt, but I sure don't .

I'm not saying 'sker players have never taken cheap-shots. I know they have. Hell Richie Incognito was the posterboy for roid-rage. Just pointing out an incident from a Mike Stoops-coached team.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?