1 and 2 seeds, now and later

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Shine
Leads all Lists

1 and 2 seeds, now and later

Post by Shine »

Tell me who you'd give the 1 and 2 seeds to if the selections were based on games through 2/13, and then who you think will really get them come Selection Sunday.

Today my 1 seeds are:

Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
Wake Forest

Illinois is a no brainer, and the way KU and UK are playing in conference coupled with their OOC schedules earn them both 1 seeds. The ACC will get a 1 seed, and today I'd give Wake the nod over UNC based on the head to head win.

Today my 2 seeds are:

North Carolina
Boston College
Oklahoma State
Syracuse

UNC right there for a 1 seed. BC up to date has earned a 2 seed. Okie St and Syracuse are looking real good. Dook and Arizona waiting in the wings as solid 3's.

Selection Sunday 1 seeds are:

Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
North Carolina

I think in the end UNC finishes strong, but could just as easily see Wake keeping their 1 seed. The other three I think are locks.

Selection Sunday 2 seeds are:

Wake Forest
Syracuse
Oklahoma St
Arizona

I see BC faltering down the stretch some and ending up a 3 seed. I think Dook will take a few too many hits to climb to a 2 and stay at a 3. The "loser" of UNC/Wake is a solid 2, and I think both Syracuse and OSU are rock solid picks. I think Arizona will finish strong out west and hold off BC, Dook, and Louisville for that final 2 seed.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: 1 and 2 seeds, now and later

Post by Shoalzie »

Shine wrote:Selection Sunday 1 seeds are:

Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
North Carolina

I think in the end UNC finishes strong, but could just as easily see Wake keeping their 1 seed. The other three I think are locks.

Selection Sunday 2 seeds are:

Wake Forest
Syracuse
Oklahoma St
Arizona

I see BC faltering down the stretch some and ending up a 3 seed. I think Dook will take a few too many hits to climb to a 2 and stay at a 3. The "loser" of UNC/Wake is a solid 2, and I think both Syracuse and OSU are rock solid picks. I think Arizona will finish strong out west and hold off BC, Dook, and Louisville for that final 2 seed.

Can't argue with those picks at this point. Duke probably would've been a #2 ahead of Arizona had they not dropped the game to the Terps on Saturday. UConn could've earned some cool points with me if they beat Carolina on Sunday...would've been great bookend wins this week with them beating Syracuse on Monday. Bad loss for Washington on Saturday at Oregon State...they were probably a solid #3 until then.

Just to build on what you've started...here are current my #3s and #4s:

Boston College
Duke
Michigan State
Pittsburgh

Connecticut
Gonzaga
Louisville
Washington
Shine
Leads all Lists

Re: 1 and 2 seeds, now and later

Post by Shine »

Shoalzie wrote: Just to build on what you've started...here are current my #3s and #4s:

Boston College
Duke
Michigan State
Pittsburgh

Connecticut
Gonzaga
Louisville
Washington
Until tonights game, I would have had Pitt as a 4 seed. Winning at Cuse secured their 3 spot. Extending my picks to 3s and 4s:

3 seeds:
Boston College
Dook
Michigan St
Pitt

4 seeds:
Washington
Louisville
Gonzaga
Alabama
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

I think Washington will end up with a three seed. They still get Zona in Seattle and I think they will win the Pac 10 tourney as well.

I guess my seeds, come tourney time will be as follows:

#1's:
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
North Carolina

#2's:
Wake Forest
Boston College
Oklahoma State
Pittsburgh

#3's:
Duke
Syracuse
Michigan State
Washington

#4's:
Arizona
Utah
Gonzaga
Michigan State

In my opinion the number one seeds are pretty easy to pick and the first three number two's are fairly straightforward as well....After the top seven though, I think you could throw the next nine teams in a hat and pull them out anyway you like....and truthfully, there are probably five or six other squads you could lump in there as well like Louisville, Alabama, UConn, shoot even Pacific.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

If Washington does that, they'd pass Zona. IMO Zona will hold on though. As for BC, I think they'll either validate their spot or be exposed the rest of the way. I want to see how they fare against the upper echelon BEast teams and in the conference tourney. I think they'll falter a bit and drop to a 3 seed.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Is it too late for OU to get a #17 seed?

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

the_ouskull wrote:Is it too late for OU to get a #17 seed?

the_ouskull
There's always the play in game.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Duke's definitely not a #2 after that game last night. Even with Kentucky losing on Monday, they still have to be a #1...especially if they run the table. UNC and Wake will probably lose one or two more games before it's all over so one of them will drop to a #2. Illinois and Kansas will probably stay where they are barring any clunkers before selection Sunday. I think Illinois probably remains a #1 even with a loss or two...depending on whom it was against though.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

CHICAGO
1. Illinois
2. Arizona
3. Duke
4. Syracuse

SYRACUSE
1. North Carolina
2. Kansas
3. Michigan State
4. Alabama

AUSTIN
1. Oklahoma State
2. Boston College
3. Utah
4. Gonzaga

ALBUQUERQUE
1. Wake Forest
2. Kentucky
3. Washington
4. Louisville
Ruff
Elwood

Post by Ruff »

Shoalzie, I can't see them making the Syracuse region that tough and the Austin so light.

Illinois looks like it could set up for a nice regional play, with fans traveling to Indy, Chicago and STL. Expect a lot of orange in the stands.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Shoalzie wrote:

Duke's definitely not a #2 after that game last night.
You're right. The tournament selection committee being the ACC whores that they are, they're probably a #1. :D
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Ruff wrote:Shoalzie, I can't see them making the Syracuse region that tough and the Austin so light.

Illinois looks like it could set up for a nice regional play, with fans traveling to Indy, Chicago and STL. Expect a lot of orange in the stands.

I was just throwing stuff up against the wall and seeing what was sticking. Beyond the #1 seeds, I think the rest of the field is very unsettled and will stay that way until Selection Sunday. My picks that I made are messed up after Oklahoma State and Alabama lost yesterday. There are some big games coming up in the next two days Duke-Georgia Tech, Boston College-Villanova, and Michigan State-Wisconsin. That's what's great about this basketball season...a lot of unpredictability.