So, did I miss anything...?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

So, did I miss anything...?

Post by the_ouskull »

Lol.

Sorry for being absent for most of the fallout, etc... from Bomargate. I think that everybody knows that I'm a guy that takes my lumps, etc... It's just that, between packing and actually moving, my life's been pretty hectic lately.

So, my thoughts:

We're gonna be fine. Honestly, after the initial day of, "we're gonna lose to Baylor," doom-crying, most OU fans around Norman realized that the Thompson kid actually DID win the starting job over Bomar last year... even though he promptly went out and took a shit against TCU. Well, now, with Stoops coming out and saying, right away, "Paul's our guy, period." (Brilliant, btw...) ...there's no competition. Paul can relax and just be a badass leader, which he is. I think that we'll see marked improvement from Q1 to Q4 in the UAB game, and a totally different guy in the Washington game. I don't feel AS good about getting a shot at #8, but I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility.

I hate to bring it up, Frisco, but the last time I saw Paul play with no pressure was the A&M game in 2003. He didn't do too badly then, did he? :D (2/3 for 34 yards passing, and 6 runs for 79 yards and 2 TD's.)

Would I feel better about OU's chances with Bomar on the field? Absolutely. Do I feel better about OU as a program with his no longer being a part of it? Absolutely. I applaud Coach Stoops for his swift justice. He's not one to be confused with some of the shadier coaches in the country, to be sure.

Also, while I'm at it, f*ck guys like Skip Bayless, barking out of his mouthass, trying to make a name for himself in a "profession" that's long since passed him by... This idiot hack attacking Coach Stoops, even after he kicked his starting QB off, and Troy Smith at OSU did the same thing and got 1 game and NO words from Bayless... This IS the same idiot hack who said that Lance Armstrong wasn't an athlete, right? I can't believe he and I share oxygen. Maybe a house fire will take his... I'm sure his wife can only dream of that day. Ass.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I don't care how many books he's written, Bayless = douchebag.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

What do you expect from Bayless? He grew up in Oklahoma following the Sooners as a kid. Geez..... :wink:
Tiberious
Resident Bookie

Post by Tiberious »

FSU will finish higher in the polls than OU this year skull.
You know who I am.

Make the world a better place, punch Urban Meyer in the face.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Skull - not trying to paint a pot/kettle/black incicdent...

both Bomar and Smith broke rules...smith took $500 and was suspended for two games (alamo bowl and opener last year) and couldn't practice with the team until texas week (yes he basically sat out all fall camp)...

yes they both did break the rules but $18 grr for working 3 hours or whatever hey good work if you can get it...bayless lambasted tOSU during the Clarett debacle so it's not as if tOSU wasn't in the crosshairs...

thank your lucky stars ESPN hasn't ran the Bomar story as a lead in for weeks much like they did with the Clarett story...USC and OU got off easy in my book from a media perspective...

again just my opinion...not trying to flame...
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

Yeah, USC got off REALLY easy... Also, I'm not sure where this $18k/year number is coming from, but I haven't heard any news sources quote it...

...granted, I haven't heard many news sources lately either... I hate moving.

the_ouskull
Rich Fader
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rich Fader »

Skully, I know you think Brother Skippy is a twat, and I know sometimes you've got to smack your own, but I've just got to jump in. I can't sit there and let you glove him up like that. Really, dude...just damn. You're saying stuff about Skippy that I wouldn't even say about the Ambiguously Gay Fraternity, the Phi Guyth...errrrr...Fijis. You have to make allowances for the boy. He was deprived of watching great college sports when he grew up. He went to Vandy.

:lol:
Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

The biggest difference between what went down at OU, OSU and with Reggie Bushs family is who was giving the money and what was their reason behind it.
Smith and Bomar were both given money by boosters for those schools who were giving those kids money for playing for those schools, money those kids would have never seen had they played for a different school. Reggie Bush's stepfather was given money by some shady, agent wannabes, in a different city from the school, to try to convince Reggie to leave school. No matter what school Reggie went to, these parasites would have been there trying to pay him to leave.
One side is getting paid by people wanting to see the school do well, the other is being paid by people who want to tear the school down.
Sanctioning USC for what Reggies stepfather did can open up a can of worms Im not sure anyone wants to see open. OU fan could go to the step parent of Texas athlete and give him money, lower rent, a better job etc. and then go to the NCAA or newspapers and say "we gave so and so money to try to make so and so's kid sign a deal with us" then making that player eneligible and causing that school to be sanctioned.
Dont think theyre not already thinking about this sort of thing in SEC land, Bama fan desperately wanting to get back at Fat Fulmer starts giving special benefits to Tennessee players families, just to blow the whistle on themself and land Tennessee's program in trouble.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Danimal wrote:I don't care how many books he's written, Bayless = douchebag.
Big rack on that.

The point was really driven home by me recently when I heard James Washington on FOX radio speaking about the Cowboy days. He said that Bayless could have had a lot of great exclusive material, had he openly asked for it...but Skippy preferred subterfuge and backstabbing. Skippy acts like he was some Grand Chronicler of the 90s Cowboy Dynasty...but he really was simply a mudraking poopslinger.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Bayless is a dickweed. He is a shock jock and that's it.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

SoCalTrjn wrote:The biggest difference between what went down at OU, OSU and with Reggie Bushs family is who was giving the money and what was their reason behind it.
Smith and Bomar were both given money by boosters for those schools who were giving those kids money for playing for those schools, money those kids would have never seen had they played for a different school. Reggie Bush's stepfather was given money by some shady, agent wannabes, in a different city from the school, to try to convince Reggie to leave school. No matter what school Reggie went to, these parasites would have been there trying to pay him to leave.
One side is getting paid by people wanting to see the school do well, the other is being paid by people who want to tear the school down.
Sanctioning USC for what Reggies stepfather did can open up a can of worms Im not sure anyone wants to see open. OU fan could go to the step parent of Texas athlete and give him money, lower rent, a better job etc. and then go to the NCAA or newspapers and say "we gave so and so money to try to make so and so's kid sign a deal with us" then making that player eneligible and causing that school to be sanctioned.
Dont think theyre not already thinking about this sort of thing in SEC land, Bama fan desperately wanting to get back at Fat Fulmer starts giving special benefits to Tennessee players families, just to blow the whistle on themself and land Tennessee's program in trouble.
Paragraphs mother fucker.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

PSUFAN wrote:
Danimal wrote:I don't care how many books he's written, Bayless = douchebag.
Big rack on that.

The point was really driven home by me recently when I heard James Washington on FOX radio speaking about the Cowboy days. He said that Bayless could have had a lot of great exclusive material, had he openly asked for it...but Skippy preferred subterfuge and backstabbing. Skippy acts like he was some Grand Chronicler of the 90s Cowboy Dynasty...but he really was simply a mudraking poopslinger.
All the Aikman-is-gay rumors came from Bayless when he was at the Dallas Morning News in the '90s. It ended up costing him his job there.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I think Skippy is a kcdave troll.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

I hate to go all IB on this post, but with how he wrote it, it'll be the only way that I'm able to respond.
SoCalTrjn wrote:The biggest difference between what went down at OU, OSU and with Reggie Bushs family is who was giving the money and what was their reason behind it.

Wrong.

Smith and Bomar were both given money by boosters for those schools who were giving those kids money for playing for those schools, money those kids would have never seen had they played for a different school.

Correct.

Reggie Bush's stepfather was given money by some shady, agent wannabes, in a different city from the school, to try to convince Reggie to leave school.

He was given a bit more than "some money," first of all. Like maybe a house...???!!! And even if my facts ARE wrong on that, then it was still his family living in that house, WHILE he was enrolled at USC... and he never questioned. This is why your first point is wrong. Bomar did what he did on his own, and didn't let / get his family in on it. Bush's family was literally suckling off of the money teet.

No matter what school Reggie went to, these parasites would have been there trying to pay him to leave.

Correct, albeit not relevant. If Bomar has gone to another school, he'd have found a way to take money from THOSE boosters... Ditto Reggie. So what? Shady is shady.

Not necessarily. They just don't care if it does happen. Ditto with the players who actually take the money. They're only in it for themselves.

Sanctioning USC for what Reggies stepfather did can open up a can of worms Im not sure anyone wants to see open.

Bullshit. It's called "extra benefits." Hell, Switzer got written up for it when he bought a student-athlete a ticket to go home for Christmas. Never mind the fact that the student didn't have the means otherwise, was already enrolled at OU, and didn't even play football.

OU fan could go to the step parent of Texas athlete and give him money, lower rent, a better job etc. and then go to the NCAA or newspapers and say "we gave so and so money to try to make so and so's kid sign a deal with us" then making that player eneligible and causing that school to be sanctioned.

Would the boosters have given Reggie's family the money if Reggie had been a star Tuba player? No. Would Reggie's family have had their hands out if Reggie was a DII star? Yes. Would any money have landed in them? No. There is a HUGE difference that you're trying to gloss over to make what was one of the worst violations in recent years seem like it's nothing.

Once again, enteraining. Not relevant.
Bottom line. USC should have been ass-raped by the NCAA. Between Jarrett living rent-free and Bush's family living ALMOST rent-free alone. God knows what else is going on... I'm sure that the same car dealership deal is happening at USC too. It happens everywhere, and for the same reasons... It's ambiguous money, usually done in cash. Who's to say that the players didn't sell those cars? The people buying them won't say that, that's for sure. They're happy to tell their buddies, "the starting QB sold me a car." [High Five]

In fact, just for clarity, here's how it works: At most car dealerships, the GM's aren't allowed to take commission on the cars that they sell. However, they got to that position by being good salesmen, and it's THEIR store, so they're still selling cars. Probably as many as their best salesmen.

...and the commission is still a part of the sale, whether or not the GM is allowed to take it.

Enter Athlete A.

"I need a job. I'm a star athlete."

"You sure are. Work for me."

"What do I have to do?"

"Sit here and count this money."

"Thank you."

"Welcome. Don't tell anybody. Also, if they ask, you sold three cars this week."

The money is already there. The GM wants the athlete there for the extra business, and to suckle at the power teet, and the athlete wants the money. This happens EVERYWHERE.

The problem occurs when the athlete gets greedy, like Bomar clocking in at the same time as a practice... OR, even worse, when they start asking for more money than is readily available from the GM's commission fund. (coughBomarhack)

Yeah.

So, there's your lesson for the day... Buy your cars online and your school will never get in trouble. Lol.

the_ouskull
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Good to see you represent

To tell you the truth I'm more worried about Thomposn than I was about Bomar. Thompson is a guy that can take off and run when things breakdown. Bomar though not a bad scrambler was no threat to kill you with his legs. This is important because your oline is going to breakdown early and often. As much as you want to hide it, the fact is they are average at best.

The other big thing that Thompson gives is a second option to Peterson which should take some of the heat off of him. I could see blOwU running a similar offense to the one Texas ran in 2k4. The big key is for Thompson to develop a chemistry with atlease one receiver like Vince did with Dave Thomas.

If he can do this I can see blOwU going 12-1 or 11-2 this year.

The other important thing is the blOwU DBS need to mature faster, they have talent but they need to step up or teams are going to toast them early and often. We know there is no problem with the blOwU front 7 but if they are kept on the field for extended time because they can't stop the pass and the offense can't sustain a drive. They will ware down.

If nothing else I think getting rid of a cancer like Bomar will improve the chemistry of the lockerroom.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

The GM of a car dealership gets paid on the bottom line.. profit from new and used vehicles, profit from wholesale of trades, profit from all parts and service,profit from the body shop, profit from finance reserve, profit from the hold back on new vehicles... The GM gets paid on the bottom line. A lot of GMs generally don't have sales backgrounds, GSM's do, but GMs generally come up through parts and service since those are the higher profit departments at car dealerships.

Jarrett didnt live rent free, he paid over 650 dollars a month to rent 1 bedroom in an apartment.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

SoCalTrjn wrote:The GM of a car dealership gets paid on the bottom line.. profit from new and used vehicles, profit from wholesale of trades, profit from all parts and service,profit from the body shop, profit from finance reserve, profit from the hold back on new vehicles... The GM gets paid on the bottom line. A lot of GMs generally don't have sales backgrounds, GSM's do, but GMs generally come up through parts and service since those are the higher profit departments at car dealerships.

Jarrett didnt live rent free, he paid over 650 dollars a month to rent 1 bedroom in an apartment.
If I am not mistaken the issue is that we got a really nice place for hardly any money. The rent was like $3,000 a month and he paid $650. That is not fair market value. Regardless of the fact that Leinert's dad paid the other $2,400, it is against NCAA rules.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

so then if a student-athlete is renting a room from a family who lives near the school that athlete plays for, that athlete is responsible of one half of the "fair market value" of the home, apartment, condo etc. that he is renting the bedroom from?

Hell then one, if so inclined, could get a 5 bedroom place, rent 4 of the bedrooms out to student athletes of the local university and have 200% of their mortgage payment made by those athletes so they would be within the rules.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

SoCalTrjn wrote:so then if a student-athlete is renting a room from a family who lives near the school that athlete plays for, that athlete is responsible of one half of the "fair market value" of the home, apartment, condo etc. that he is renting the bedroom from?

Yes. If he/she wants to maintain their NCAA eligibility.

Hell then one, if so inclined, could get a 5 bedroom place, rent 4 of the bedrooms out to student athletes of the local university and have 200% of their mortgage payment made by those athletes so they would be within the rules.

Yes, although you're being a complete fucking idiot and pretending like you don't know what we're saying.

the_ouskull
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Jarrett wasnt renting half the apartment, he was only renting 1 bedroom and is only responsible for the rent on one bedromm
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Jarrett wasnt renting half the apartment, he was only renting 1 bedroom and is only responsible for the rent on one bedromm
Holy fuck. Does that mean he had to go outside to go to the bathroom? How the hell did he get into his bedroom? He must have had a door that went directly into it from outside. And poor kid...he couldn't even use the microwave to heat up some popcorn. And too bad he wasn't allowed in the living room to play PS2 on the big screen.

You're a dumbfuck, dumbfuck.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Jarrett had a ladder that went from the ground to his bedroom window. He only slept there. He showered, ate, watched TV and banged the babes elsewhere.
If two people rent an apartment the rent is split.
I'm not sure this is the same as little brothers and sisters fighting over room space and putting tape down as dividers.

I can just see it now....Leinhart puts down some athletic tape and tells Jarrett he can only go on his side of the tape because he's only paying 650 in rent.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

choo choo...

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

RICKITY RACKITY RACK THAT SHIT...

should we put So Cal on the board bitch ballot???
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

I think Jimmy answered your question.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

Let the record show that I had him as a dark horse. Let's see if this Cinderella can dance :lol:
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:Let the record show that I had him as a dark horse. Let's see if this Cinderella can dance :lol:

Adelpiero

#5 Socal

he has started his run for the title early, taking pileon after pileon in the #world cup forum. i think he's warming up for his run at the title.
i have 50$ on him @ 8/1(ballys)
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:Let the record show that I had him as a dark horse. Let's see if this Cinderella can dance :lol:
i remember.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"