Sooner fans: We better hope Joey Halzle is really good...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Holy fuck.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i bet it'll be Thompson. makes more sense than Halzle, IMHO.

having read the reports of "special teams" player i didn't think Hartley, but that's a bad loss as well.

Bomer=idiot

i'm glad the team and Boren did the right thing, though.
Last edited by King Crimson on Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

OU starting quarterback Rhett Bomar has been released from the team, News 9 sports director Dean Blevins reported today.

Two Players Dismissed
Courtesy: SoonerSports.com
Release: 08/02/2006

Courtesy: SoonerSports.com

NORMAN, Okla. -- Based upon an investigation initiated by the University of Oklahoma and facts uncovered by the University, Head Coach Bob Stoops today announced that he has permanently dismissed two members of the Sooner football team.

The investigation by OU revealed that two football players received extra compensation above that to which they were entitled related to their employment at a private business. This is a direct violation of NCAA rules. The two accepted payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked. OU is taking the initiative by declaring them ineligible for the entire current season and by permanently dismissing the two from the team. They will not be allowed to return to the OU team at any time in the future.

“We spend a considerable amount of time addressing our players regarding their personal conduct and the NCAA rules,” Stoops said. “They know exactly what we expect from them. Ultimately, they have to make right decisions. The same holds true for our boosters. When they do not, the consequences are serious, and we will not tolerate this behavior.

“Our team and University actions are necessary because of the intentional participation and knowledge of the student athletes in these violations,” Stoops said.
“I firmly believe that our program is stronger than any individual player and that a championship program cannot compromise its values,” he said. “We are proud to represent a University with the highest possible principles,” Stoops said.

"I strongly support the decision of Coach Stoops," said OU President David L. Boren. "Coach Stoops has done the right thing. His action reflects the basic values of our University,” Boren said. “While this situation is deeply disappointing, the University is sending a clear and unmistakable message that OU will never compromise its high ethical standards or its integrity. We share the sadness about this situation with our fans and players who have followed the rules, but we believe in our program and in this team, which we know will carry on in the great Sooner tradition.”

Athletics Director Joe Castiglione said, “I am disappointed in these student-athletes. The education process is something that we take very seriously. We talk about it frequently and include guidelines in many of our printed materials. In the end, individuals must decide right and wrong for themselves and then live with the consequences. Unfortunately, many more people who themselves play by the rules are also affected by these consequences.”
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

http://www.newsok.com/

Totally agree on the "props to Stoops" angle. I'd like to know who else knew about it though. Seems a lot of these things get swept under the rug until the "right person" finds out about it.

Rack Stoops though. USC, make note of this.

I still can't believe the NCAA still hasn;t done anything about the Bush and Jarrett thing.
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

Usually I don't drink on Wednesday afternoons....

By the way, Big Red Sports & Imports might want to hire some additional security tonight.

Fuck, fuck, fuckity-fuck!
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Nice job, dumbfucks.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

IndyFrisco wrote:I still can't believe the NCAA still hasn;t done anything about the Bush and Jarrett thing.
Jarrett, imho, was more of a violation of the letter of the rules than of the spirit. Funny thing is, a relatively inexpensive consultation with an attorney probably could have kept it within the letter of the rules as well. I can understand how Leinart and Jarrett wouldn't have thought to do that, but it seems to me that Leinart's old man would/should have been more savvy than that.

Bush is a different matter, imho . . .
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

froz is right, Quinn is still pretty bad.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Let me clarify Terry...the Bush and Jarret things.

I know they are two separate things. Bush's is flaming hot. Jarret's is questonable. For Jarret's, a slap onthe wrist. But for Bush's, it should have huge ramifications as it is a blatant violation to the highest degree.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Concur on the initial Holy Fuck comment.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

That sucks. My condolences

Sucks for me too, really, as OU will probably drop a little bit in the polls, from where they would have been, before we play them.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

IndyFrisco wrote:I still can't believe the NCAA still hasn;t done anything about the Bush and Jarrett thing.
This is just about par for the NCAA. They often punish the minor offenders (if you can even call it an offense) like Bloom, any team with an Indian mascot, Division 2 runner, Drew Tate and his hole-in-one, etc....

Then they fail when it comes to the real issues: Sampson, FSU, Miami, etc...

Brand was a joke at IU and he continues his legacy with the NCAA.

And this was funny, really funny:
War Stoops wrote:Fuck, fuck, fuckity-fuck!
Last edited by Sky on Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Believe the Heupel wrote: KC, I don't think Thompson is going to move back to QB. He lost too much time working as a receiver.
how much time does Halzle have taking 2 team snaps in Spring ball versus PT in the "system". at least PT (almost typed ENA) has a taken some d-1 snaps.

either way, i hope Kevin Wilson is working on his "10 in the box" offense.
"
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Sky wrote: Then they fail when it comes to the real issues: Clarrett, OSU, Suckeyes, etc...
FTFY
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Believe the Heupel wrote:As things stand right now, I'm saying OU loses to Oregon, Texas, and probably Texas Tech this year. Which sucks my balls. But let's see if Joey Halzle can step it up a couple of notches before we stick a fork in the season.
Just curious...you had stated before these guys were kicked off that you are already worried about the game at Kyle this year. With these developments, I would think you might pencil in that game as a loss now too. Only reason I would think not is it is the 10th game and you think whoever is at the helm will be seasoned enough to beat us.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

W :shock: W!

Stoops shows nads again, no f*ckin 'round.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

a 9-3 season will be a blessing now for sure.

boy, what a fucking idiot.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i'm gonna say i think as good (D-wise) as OU under Stoops has been against Tech, the chances of beating Tech in Norman are much better than ATM at Kyle....speaking speculatively at this point. assuming:

ATM plays well enough to be legit

OU finds some adequate QB play

hard to know at this point, but i'd say the chances of beating Tech in Norman are better than winning at Kyle.
"
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

KC,

That's the only reason I asked was because I saw he had a home loss to tech yet the away game at Kyle as a win.

I realize we lost (big) to ISU at home last year, but the 12th Man still shows up and is, stealing the term from you I believe, always foaming at the mouth when OU comes knocking.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

So Bomar allegedly claimed $18,000.00 for his Summer income working five hours a day?

This is allsum. :lol:
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Is this the same dealership AD was involved with a while back?
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

If he did claim this on his tax returns does this mean he did this last summer? If thats the case, sanctions may be coming to the OU program and possible forfit of the 2005 games OU started Bomar?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:If he did claim this on his tax returns does this mean he did this last summer? If thats the case, sanctions may be coming to the OU program and possible forfit of the 2005 games OU started Bomar?
OU can get in line behind USC.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

:D Who is Jerry Bomar going to call and give all his new offensive plays to now?

Actually, I hate to see any kid do something this stupid. The sad thing is that it affects an entire program. Bomar..... what an idiot. Props to OU and Coach Stoops for nipping this in the bud.

That really changes things for this season. OU is in the same boats as Texas. We both have good defenses, great RB's and questions at the QB position.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

My condolences go out to the OU fans on this board. What a fucking blow a month before the season starts...

Maybe Bomar got Lime Disease? He wasn't doing push-ups in a Norman intersection was he?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

TheChief wrote:He wasn't doing push-ups in a Norman intersection was he?
Who knows...either way, he was getting paid for it.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Believe the Heupel wrote:No, though apparently those who know him say he's pretty convinced he's God...
Rhett Bomar = Dinsdale ???
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

IndyFrisco wrote:
TheChief wrote:He wasn't doing push-ups in a Norman intersection was he?
Who knows...either way, he was getting paid for it.
Rack
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Shawn Marion
Elwood

Post by Shawn Marion »

They said that he claimed 18 grand on his taxes and only worked 5 hours per day?

Here is a suggestion: if you are going to make illegal payments to a player, keep it under the table and don't tell the federal government about it.
8-1 feels so much better than 2-10-1
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Is Beano's 4th chin making some funny pictures?? :lol:
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Believe the Heupel wrote:I think he only worked five hours a week.

I mean, $18k per year working five hours a day describes about half of this board.

I dont know how the other half lives.

Sin,

Zyclone
Shawn Marion
Elwood

Post by Shawn Marion »

Believe the Heupel wrote:I think he only worked five hours a week.

I mean, $18k per year working five hours a day describes about half of this board.
eh... I thought he claimed 5 hours per day for the summer (3 months). That would be 72k a year at 5 hrs/day.

Still though, don't report illegal payments to the gov't
8-1 feels so much better than 2-10-1
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Shawn Marion wrote: Still though, don't report illegal payments to the gov't
I wish I wouldve paid my taxes.

- Al capone
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

OU got Bomared

It is starting.....

and my favorite....

Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

I feel bad for the OU fans. Rack Stoops for doing the right thing.

So when does USC man up? Better yet....when is the NCAA going to make them?
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

What is the scoop on Joey Halzle? Where is he from? What type of QB is he anyway?

Just do a reset on the "concerns for this years team" thread so I know a little bit about this new kid...if you feel like it of course :)
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
TheChief wrote:My condolences go out to the OU fans on this board. What a fucking blow a month before the season starts...

Maybe Bomar got Lime Disease? He wasn't doing push-ups in a Norman intersection was he?
:lol:

No, though apparently those who know him say he's pretty convinced he's God...
There can only be one Christ. Wyatt Sexton everybody...
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Shit...

I've got a sinking feeling that this might be the tip of the iceberg.

All I'm saying.

Fuck it. Do the right thing, Bob. If you have to suspend the whole fuckin' team and forfeit ever damn game this year, we'll deal with it.
hate to say it but this is also my line of thinking. I'm hoping it doesn't go any deeper than this. This is the kind of crap that destroyed the SWC and I don't feel the need to go through that once again.

On a side note I'm guessing that anyone that took Texas and the points are feeling pretty good right about now. Yesterday before the new broke I'm told Texas was a 3 pt underdog to blOwU.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I can still see the NCAA doing a inor slap on the wrist like 3-5 schollies just as a deterrent to boosters.

No way could the auto dealership not know that the kid is logging 40 hours while only working 5 to the tune of $18,000. The fact 8 players are working there is fishy in and of itself.

Smells a lot like the A&M mess in the late 80s/early 90s that got us suspended from a bowl game in 94...the year A&M went 10-0-1.
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

this is so fucked.
they really dropped the character ball on this clown.
it's BTH fault I even liked the guy.