Ordonez agrees to terms with Tigers

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Ordonez agrees to terms with Tigers

Post by Shoalzie »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1985108

They overpaid for him but if he is able to return to form and earns all of his incentives, it could be an okay deal. If he puts up his typical number (30-35 HR, 110-125 RBI, .310+ AVG, 30-40 2B)...he finally gives the Tigers the hammer they've been lacking. No Tiger has hit 30 HR and driven 100 runs in a season since Higginson in 2000. The rotation is iffy but the lineup should one of the best in the AL this season.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

No Tiger has hit 30 HR and driven 100 runs in a season since Higginson in 2000.
Comerica opened in 2000. Is it a coincidence or were those teams just that bad?
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

Also, no Tiger has hit 30 HR and weighed 300 lbs. in a season since
Cecil Fielder in 1995. :P
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cueball wrote:
Comerica opened in 2000. Is it a coincidence or were those teams just that bad?
You're absolutely right...I did neglect to mention that fact. Several guys have hit 20+ home runs...Pena hit 27 last year and Young hit 29 in 2003. Comerica is capable of yielding 30+ home runs from a Tiger...they just haven't possessed the guy with that capability yet. They used to be one of the best home run hitting teams in baseball when they were at The Corner but that yard made anyone a slugger.
Funkywhiteboy wrote:
Also, no Tiger has hit 30 HR and weighed 300 lbs. in a season since
Cecil Fielder in 1995. :P
:lol:
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Boras fleeces yet another.....
Mags staying healthy is a big "if." That knee, and Boras, scared a lot of suitors away. Rangers wanted him but would only give him a contract based on him playing, not on the DL. Pffft....think Boras would go for that? But the Tigers gotta' roll the dice. I hope it works out for them. It's about time the Tigers were a player in this thing again. Well, anyone in that division but the Sox.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Mustang wrote:Boras fleeces yet another.....
Mags staying healthy is a big "if." That knee, and Boras, scared a lot of suitors away. Rangers wanted him but would only give him a contract based on him playing, not on the DL. Pffft....think Boras would go for that? But the Tigers gotta' roll the dice. I hope it works out for them. It's about time the Tigers were a player in this thing again. Well, anyone in that division but the Sox.

I haven't seen all of the stipulations in the deal but the Tigers put in some out clauses if Ordonez's knee acts up again. The deal looks like a fleecing on the surface but if they get the usual production from him, I think the salary figures are about right for a guy of his talent. It's good to see someone finally take their money because they were throwing it at any big name free agent this winter.

My projected batting order:
Sanchez, CF
Guillen, SS
Rodriguez, C
Ordonez, RF
Young, DH
White/Monroe, LF
Pena, 1B
Inge, 3B
Infante, 2B

With the White Sox letting Ordonez and Lee go, the Twins lost Koskie and Guzman...the Central is ripe for the taking. I think the Indians and the Tigers will contend. I think we'll see those four teams finish within 10 games of each other...the eventual champion might not get more than 90 wins though.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Shoalzie wrote:I think we'll see those four teams finish within 10 games of each other...the eventual champion might not get more than 90 wins though.

The Royals will have some decent young pitching with Hernandez and Greinke at the top of the rotation. Lima could eek out 12 wins.

There's no expectation for them to do much, so maybe they will at least be competitive like they were in '03
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

KC Scott wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:I think we'll see those four teams finish within 10 games of each other...the eventual champion might not get more than 90 wins though.

The Royals will have some decent young pitching with Hernandez and Greinke at the top of the rotation. Lima could eek out 12 wins.

There's no expectation for them to do much, so maybe they will at least be competitive like they were in '03

Your boys laid a turd last year big time...I actually picked them to win the Central in 2004. :oops:

I don't know how good they'll be without Beltran and Randa. The pitcher will be decent like you said but they don't have the bats to compete with the other four.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Randa was hurt a lot, and honestly Beltran did'nt burn up the O here last year. He waited till he got to Houston and the playoffs.

That said, there is no expectation for the Royals to do anything, so anything above a .500 record would be a huge accomplishment.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

I would flip Infante and Sanchez. Alex hits well, but does not walk nearly enough. Omar started to show patience last year and will have a very productive year in '05.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Killian wrote:I would flip Infante and Sanchez. Alex hits well, but does not walk nearly enough. Omar started to show patience last year and will have a very productive year in '05.

I'd keep Sanchez at the top mostly for his speed. He did hit for over .300 before his hamstring went out on him. I really like Infante's development at the plate this past season. I don't think it's a bad thing to have a guy like him and Inge hitting 8th and 9th. I think they've got some power and some guys who can hit for average and drive in runs. This is probably their most complete lineup they've had in years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1987747

This may be a minor to some but I'm really pumped about the Kyle Farnsworth trade the Tigers made today. He does remind a lot of Matt Anderson...the huge arm but lacks the control and killer instinct. Maybe a change of scenery and getting out of the pressure cooker in Chicago may help him. I think he'd fit well in a setup role ahead of Percival. I think this may set in place a deal for Urbina also. I don't think you want a $7-8 million setup man behind another $7-8 million closer. I'm almost surprised the Cubs didn't try to get Urbina as part of this trade since they need a closer.