The New Doctor Who

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Raoul Duke
Martyr

The New Doctor Who

Post by Raoul Duke »

Was flipping through the satellite dish Friday night, when I came across the listing for Dr. Who. Threw that on the TV, expecting to see some afroed gangly looking goof with a stupid 30 foot scarf. But thats not what I find, the guy who was in "Shallow Grave" with a bad haircut. Oh.... this must be that new one that England had been hoarding for about a year. So, I stayed and watched it. And damn it if it wasn't bad. Not so damn cheesy, a helluva a lot better writing and acting, even the special effects were adequate. A definite upgrade from the previous incarnation. Combine this show with the newly revitalized Battlestar Galactica, and my thoughts of late 70's Sci-fi shows is getting reworked. If someone fixes up Space:1999, my head may explode.
Nish, is the new Doctor catching on on your side? Hope to see some additional episodes in the future.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

used to watch the Tom Baker version with
my kids back in the day on PBS--
fun stuff--
I had the hots for Romana !!
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Re: The New Doctor Who

Post by Nishlord »

Raoul Duke wrote:Was flipping through the satellite dish Friday night, when I came across the listing for Dr. Who. Threw that on the TV, expecting to see some afroed gangly looking goof with a stupid 30 foot scarf. But thats not what I find, the guy who was in "Shallow Grave" with a bad haircut. Oh.... this must be that new one that England had been hoarding for about a year. So, I stayed and watched it. And damn it if it wasn't bad. Not so damn cheesy, a helluva a lot better writing and acting, even the special effects were adequate. A definite upgrade from the previous incarnation. Combine this show with the newly revitalized Battlestar Galactica, and my thoughts of late 70's Sci-fi shows is getting reworked. If someone fixes up Space:1999, my head may explode.
Nish, is the new Doctor catching on on your side? Hope to see some additional episodes in the future.
It's very successful and the BBC are pimping it like a bastard. But they've already got through 2 Doctors already since it came back last year. Not my cup of tea, but I'm hearing from aficiandos that it's definaly up to par. Worth getting on the torrent boards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episodes ... ndex.shtml
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Wolfman wrote:Image

used to watch the Tom Baker version with
my kids back in the day on PBS--
fun stuff--
I had the hots for Romana !!
Tom Baker at his finest;
http://69.93.9.106/rob/Tom_Baker-Commer ... ttakes.mp3
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

HATED that show.

Big nosed fukker running around tripping on scarves...

Unwatchable, even by British soccer fans.
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

I actually like this incarnation of the Doctor. His companion is easy on the eyes and I love how she has a black mother. Very progressive. That show where the aliens mutated a pig into an alien and then crashed the pig mutant into the Thames in a spaceship was pure genius. The writing is very good on this one.

NO ONE will top Tom Baker. He had the longest tenure and some of the best story lines (Romana was cute but I was always partial to Leela. I dig a bitch who runs around in a skimpy leather outfit and is quick to pull a knife on someone.)

After Baker, I liked Jon Pertwee, for no other reason than his lisp made me laugh at him even when he was trying to get a serious point to someone.