Another National Champ. for Badgers?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Another National Champ. for Badgers?

Post by Goober McTuber »

MADISON, Wis. -- A former Badger football player will compete in the national rock-paper-scissors championships.

Tim Ovadal, 23, was a defensive lineman on the UW-Madison football team. He'll be one of 264 competitors at the national USA Rock-Paper-Scissors Championships this weekend in Las Vegas.

The competition's setup is similar to boxing. Competitors move from ring to ring until one contestant is left. The first-place prize is $50,000.

Competitors play the standard game -- rock smashes scissors, scissors cuts paper and paper covers rock.

Ovadal, now a bartender in Madison, said he likes to throw a lot of paper, because a lot of men throw rock. But he admitted at least half the game is just luck.

He beat 15 other competitors from around south-central Wisconsin in the area finals last month.

Ovadal will be one of seven Wisconsin players at the championships.
That's right. We rule.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/8553990/detail.html
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

This too will be on ESPN one day.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

What are some other fun things to do in Wisconsin?

After reading that... I'm thinking about moving there.

m2
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

m2 wrote:What are some other fun things to do in Wisconsin?

After reading that... I'm thinking about moving there.

m2
There's no wind to speak of in Wisconsin. You'll starve.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

I don't know what's worse, that Goober McTuber actually found this article, or that the winner gets $50,000.

Btw, as far as college national championships are concerned, if it ain't football or men's basketball, it doesn't count.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

First of all, Terry, check the link. It’s on my local news. I didn’t have to go looking for it. Secondly, just because your fucking Popey school isn’t any good at anything other than football, that doesn’t devalue our 6th National Championship in hockey. Nor any of our boxing championships, either.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Btw, as far as college national championships are concerned, if it ain't football or men's basketball, it doesn't count.
Bullshit. Outdoor track and field is the mother of all collegiate sports.

I of course say this not because I believe it, but because the team I have a rooting interest in has a pile of championships in it.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Goober McTuber wrote:First of all, Terry, check the link. It’s on my local news. I didn’t have to go looking for it.
In that case, you answered my question.
Secondly, just because your fucking Popey school isn’t any good at anything other than football, that doesn’t devalue our 6th National Championship in hockey. Nor any of our boxing championships, either.
College hockey and college boxing aren't revenue sports. Just sayin'.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:College hockey and college boxing aren't revenue sports. Just sayin'.
So they "don't count" unless big business is involved? Bullshit. Newsflash dumbshit: football and basketball are in the minority of collegiate sports. Every other collegiate sport is based entirely on purity and true competition amongst STUDENT-athletes. All those other sports that "don't count" set the precedent for what college athletics are really all about. Football and basketball are their own beasts.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:College hockey and college boxing aren't revenue sports. Just sayin'.
So they "don't count" unless big business is involved? Bullshit.
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of fan interest than big business.
Newsflash dumbshit: football and basketball are in the minority of collegiate sports. Every other collegiate sport is based entirely on purity and true competition amongst STUDENT-athletes.
If you want to claim BODE based on sports like women's basketball, who am I to stop you? :wink:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Fan interest has nothing to do with the validity of a national championship.

There isn't any logical argument that you can make to connect the two.
Last edited by MgoBlue-LightSpecial on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Terry in Crapchester wrote:So they "don't count" unless big business is involved? Bullshit.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of fan interest than big business.
You should've thought about that when tossing out words like "revenue".

But if it's just about fan interest, why not include NCAA baseball? That's starting to become huge. If EA sports has made an NCAA baseball game, that has to say something about the rising of interest.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:First of all, Terry, check the link. It’s on my local news. I didn’t have to go looking for it.
Secondly, just because your fucking Popey school isn’t any good at anything other than football, that doesn’t devalue our 6th National Championship in hockey. Nor any of our boxing championships, either.
Actually, at Wisconsin Hockey does generate revenue, third behind football and basketball, albeit not on the same scale. I think this was the eighth season the Badgers led the country in College Hockey attendance.

At the University of Maine it is the main revenue source.

I am sure the story is the same at Michigan, BC, Minnesota, etc.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Terry in Crapchester wrote:So they "don't count" unless big business is involved? Bullshit.

Doesn't fan interest generate revenue? Who pays for tickets, parking, concessions, etc.?
But if it's just about fan interest, why not include NCAA baseball? That's starting to become huge. If EA sports has made an NCAA baseball game, that has to say something about the rising of interest.
Two things:

1. No gate revenue from college baseball. IIRC, games are free.

2. Interest in college baseball is largely a regional thing, as I've pointed out before. It's big in the south and west, but not so big in the northeast and midwest.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

See You Next Wednesday wrote:
Actually, at Wisconsin Hockey does generate revenue, third behind football and basketball, albeit not on the same scale. I think this was the eighth season the Badgers led the country in College Hockey attendance.

At the University of Maine it is the main revenue source.

I am sure the story is the same at Michigan, BC, Minnesota, etc.
My bad, I probably shouldn't have said "revenue producing." In fact, I would say that hockey is probably the third-largest revenue-producing sport at many colleges that have varsity hockey teams (although not all do, of course). But even then, in the overwhelming majority of schools they're not even close to the same level as football and basketball.

Maine is the exception to the rule, but there's no 1-A football in there, and their basketball team competes in one of the weaker conferences in Division 1.
Taint
Elwood

Post by Taint »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:
Actually, at Wisconsin Hockey does generate revenue, third behind football and basketball, albeit not on the same scale..

It gained 2 spots over cow fucking and watching it snow?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

My bad, I probably shouldn't have said "revenue producing."
No, you probably should have logged off about a week ago. Between this thread and the one regarding creationists, you've pissed away whatever minimal amount of credibility you ever had.

jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:I don't know what's worse, that Goober McTuber actually found this article, or that the winner gets $50,000.

Btw, as far as college national championships are concerned, if it ain't football or men's basketball, it doesn't count.
lobbyists make more and all they do is BS.
follow me on twitter: jesseheiman
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

PrimeX wrote:This too will be on ESPN one day.

I heard they're going to air dominoes very soon. They've got friggin' paintball on right now. I ask of you ESPN, what is so wrong with hockey? :?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Shoalzie wrote:

I heard they're going to air dominoes very soon. They've got friggin' paintball on right now. I ask of you ESPN, what is so wrong with hockey? :?
ESPN's rating for hockey were abysmal. I can't think they'd be any better for any of the things you mention, but I suspect it's a lot cheaper to televise these sorts of things than it is to televise hockey.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Doesn't fan interest generate revenue? Who pays for tickets, parking, concessions, etc.?
Two things:

2. Interest in college baseball is largely a regional thing, as I've pointed out before. It's big in the south and west, but not so big in the northeast and midwest.
That's fine and dandy, but you still haven't put forth a (good) argument as to why the national championships "don't count".
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: You should've thought about that when tossing out words like "revenue".
Two things:

That's fine and dandy, but you still haven't put forth a (good) argument as to why the national championships "don't count".
Bottom line, it's my opinion. You're entitled to a different opinion, of course.

Btw, JSC threw out an opinion somewhat similar to mine on this topic.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: Doesn't fan interest generate revenue? Who pays for tickets, parking, concessions, etc.?
Two things:

Bottom line, it's my opinion. You're entitled to a different opinion, of course.

Actually, what JSC said was that there was football, then there was everything else. You said there was football and basketball, and there was nothing else. But considering your lamentable position, I can see where you’d be scrambling for support anywhere you can find it.

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Goober McTuber wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: That's fine and dandy, but you still haven't put forth a (good) argument as to why the national championships "don't count".

Actually, what JSC said was that there was football, then there was everything else. You said there was football and basketball, and there was nothing else. But considering your lamentable position, I can see where you’d be scrambling for support anywhere you can find it.
:meds:

Put words into my mouth much?

I said there was football and basketball, and that's all that counted. Nowhere did I say there was nothing else.

JSC said there was football, and there was everything else. The implication, of course, is that everything else is on a much lower plane than football.

So our positions are hardly worlds apart. The most significant difference was that I threw basketball into the equation.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Bottom line, it's my opinion
Well, obviously. I'm just curious to know the reasons behind your opinion.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:I said there was football and basketball, and that's all that counted. Nowhere did I say there was nothing else.
And you wonder why everyone detests lawyers? :meds:

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Goober McTuber wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:I said there was football and basketball, and that's all that counted. Nowhere did I say there was nothing else.

You were the one who wanted to parse my words, apparently. If you're going to parse them, at least extend the courtesy to parse what I actually said.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: Btw, as far as college national championships are concerned, if it ain't football, it doesn't count.
thats better
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

A combination of things. First, quite obviously, football and basketball are the college sports which receive the greatest exposure, both for me personally and for the masses.

On a personal level, I would consider myself a fairly typical fan, perhaps a bit on the rabid side. I get quite upset when either the football or the basketball team loses. As for the other sports, more likely than not I don't even know when the games are being played. Should it come to my attention, I will root for ND, but it won't affect my mood in the slightest if we lose.

And if I were in position to make a Faustian (not Gerry) deal whereby ND would go undefeated in football and men's basketball every year in exchange for going winless in every other sport, I would make the deal without a moment's hesitation.

Does that answer your question?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

A combination of things. First, quite obviously, football and basketball are the college sports which receive the greatest exposure, both for me personally and for the masses.

On a personal level, I would consider myself a fairly typical fan, perhaps a bit on the rabid side. I get quite upset when either the football or the basketball team loses. As for the other sports, more likely than not I don't even know when the games are being played. Should it come to my attention, I will root for ND, but it won't affect my mood in the slightest if we lose.

And if I were in position to make a Faustian (not Gerry) deal whereby ND would go undefeated in football and men's basketball every year in exchange for going winless in every other sport, I would make the deal without a moment's hesitation.

Does that answer your question?
It would just seem that you should be able to not care what happens in the other sports, but still be able to recognize that they play for, and are entitled to the same amount of "legitimacy" in an earned national championship, just like football and basketball. I don't follow college tennis one lick, but I don't see how my personal opinion, or lack of, should denounce what those kids are playing for.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Aside from that, there's just no logic to it.

"I don't follow college tennis, therefore, their national championships don't count"
DMike316
Elwood

Post by DMike316 »

Jsc810 wrote:When I played college lacrosse
Step to the front of the DNA testing line please.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Part of that is just smack. No doubt you've seen what's happened to Babs on those occasions when Babs came into the college basketball forum running women's basketball smack.

Truth be told, ND won a women's basketball championship a few years back, but you won't hear me claiming bode on that basis. In fact, if anything, I was a little embarrassed that we got one in women's basketball before mens' basketball. If you had told me when I was a student that would happen, based on the relative strength of the two programs at that time I would've told you that you were crazy.

Also, among ND alumni and fans, there has been a concern that ND's athletic department has placed too much emphasis on improving the program for minor sports, and not enough emphasis on improving the football program. So given my background, there is a certain amount of provincialism in play as well.

And of course, even a casual sports fan is likely to know who won the national championship in football and basketball in any given year. As to the other sports, even a more extensive fan might not know who won the national championship unless either they follow that particular college sport or the results of that sport have been called to their attention. There's no comparison between the level of visibility of a national championship in football or basketball and one in any other college sport.
UCant#2
Elwood

Post by UCant#2 »

Bro -- it already was... did you not watch the 2005 World Series of Poker????
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Goober McTuber wrote:

You were the one who wanted to parse my words, apparently. If you're going to parse them, at least extend the courtesy to parse what I actually said.
"All that counted", "nothing else". Yeah, considering the context, that's a huge difference there, Shylock. :meds:

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Goober McTuber wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote: And you wonder why everyone detests lawyers? :meds:

"All that counted", "nothing else". Yeah, considering the context, that's a huge difference there, Shylock. :meds:
Actually, there is. But it's not surprising that you missed it.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Goobs:

I'm currently in Mad Town, Capital City of the Motherland, but I've been a bit busy with ailing parents, kids who want to see the House on the Rock, and a trip to the University Bookstore to buy a bunch of hockey related CHAMPIONSHIP gear. For a non-revenue producing sport, the fricken bookstore seemed to be raking in a fair amount of cash on the hockey gear.

I'm headed back to Mpls tomorrow via Stevens Point (Ed Gein country) so I'll have to catch you again sometime for a brat and a beer.

It was a great run for the Badgers and I enjoyed every exhausting minute of it. As stated previously, the Badgers have led the college ranks for the last eight years in attendence and routinely sell more tickets than many NHL teams. Wisconsin has a long and proud tradition of college hockey, producing players like Mark Johnson who scored two goals against the Russians for the 1980 Miracle Team.

One result of that shocking upset -- a bunch of U.S. college players defeating the Soviet Red Army team, was to profoundly change the way the NHL viewed American hockey players and college hockey in general. College coaches like Bob Johnson and Herb Brooks moved on to successful pro careers and the NHL is peppered with an army of former college hockey stars.

College hockey fans are some of the most loyal and dedicated fans you'll find anywhere. Tell them that their sport "does not matter" and they'll probably want to fight you and stuff.

By the way, at one point it time, Notre Dame had a pretty damn good hockey team. I guess in recent years the university decided to devote most of its money and resources to the teams that matter, meaning the ultra shitty Notre Dame football and basketball teams.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IS THIS NOT THE WINNING NET?
YES THIS IS THE WINNING NET!

IS THAT NOT THE BIG SCOREBOARD?
YES THAT IS THE BIG SCOREBOARD!
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Fester, as always, is money. Hope your folks get better, and maybe the next time around we’ll have that brat and beer together. For now, I’ll have to have yours and mine.

Notre Dame still has a hockey team? I’ll bet our National Championship women’s team could take ‘em.