Calabasas = Smoking Nazis

The best of the best
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

mvscal wrote:I just hate people like you.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Mikey wrote: They also don't know what amount of mercury, if any, is safe.
Did you just make that up for effect?

The "safe limit" of mercury is 2.8 micrograms per deciliter in the blood.
You're talking about blood concentration vs. environmental exposure. Completely different animals.

Care to try again?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:You're talking about blood concentration vs. environmental exposure. Completely different animals.

Care to try again?
I dunno -- explaining the obvious to someone who isn't catching on again doesn't sound that fun.

Yes, levels of environmental exposure are hard to quanitify, due in part because everybody absorbs mercury at a different rate.

What did that study say about absortion rates of "carcinogens" from secondhand smoke?

Which "carcinogens" were they measuring, anyway? Pretty sweet study when not only did they not actually measure anything, they even go so far as to not cite which things they weren't measuring. Absolute monument to the scientific process, right there...

But while environmental exposure to mercury will produce different blood levels of it, the results of the exposure can be measured, and put in quantitative terms.

Are you still struggling as to why your analogy was a complete pile of crap?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

If there is no right to smoke, then stores shouldn't have the right to sell cigarettes and governments should't have the right to collect taxes levied on said cigarettes. Like I said before, if its that bad for everyone then ban it already!
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Wow - they sure went yard on you. They have you buying their cigs, paying their taxes, and crying for them to ban said cigs. Good work, NoBrickAtopAnotherBen.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

It's safe to say that sucking is an action BlackLungBen has mastered, in several facets of life.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

PSUFAN wrote:Wow - they sure went yard on you. They have you buying their cigs, paying their taxes, and crying for them to ban said cigs. Good work, NoBrickAtopAnotherBen.
Not quite, PSUskidmark.

I don't live there, remember? I buy my cigs and pay my taxes where I can still go to a bar and smoke them.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Jimmy if everybody quit smoking and your helthcare costs decreased would you ultimately save money?
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Neely8packsaweek, you may think you're being clever and setting some kind of trap, but you're a fool in doing so. Quitting smoking increases lifespans, thus increasing healthcare cost due to people being responsible and living.

I can support and fund a choice to live. On the other hand, I can't support and don't have any desire to fund some dumbfuck's addiction, which only leads to death.

Try again, addict.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:Neely8packsaweek, you may think you're being clever and setting some kind of trap, but you're a fool in doing so. Quitting smoking increases lifespans, thus increasing healthcare cost due to people being responsible and living.

I can support and fund a choice to live. On the other hand, I can't support and don't have any desire to fund some dumbfuck's addiction, which only leads to death.

Try again, addict.
Actually I am thinking of the tax revenue that would be lost due to no sale of cigarettes but the point you bring up is valid too. Longer lives is equal to more healthcare and higher costs. So you would be doubly screwed......
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I don't live there, remember?
One could easily forget that, given all of the bitch-screeching you're doing about it.
They have you buying their cigs, paying their taxes, and crying for them to ban said cigs.
Now we can add "they've run your ass out of their state, but they're still getting your cig tax money" to the list, eh, TwoStomaBen?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:Quitting smoking increases lifespans, thus increasing healthcare cost
Are you going to eventually make up your mind on these "facts" you're reagling us with, or are you going to continue with "other people smoking increases my healthcare costs.....WAIT! What I meant to say was that other people quitting smoking increases my health care costs...WAIT! I mean that....well, I basically just want other people to live their lives by my rule."

Which is it going to be? You're coming across about as honest and geniune and committed to the truth as that bullshit "study" you posted.

So, were you lying earlier, or are you lying now? You made two contradictory statements, so I was just hoping you could help a brother out deciding which Jimmy Meds to believe....the Page 11 Jimmy Meds, or the Page 9 Jimmy Meds? One of them is lying, and I figured YOU were uniquely qualified to tell us which one it was.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Dinsdale wrote: See, these "safe limits" were implimented after observational data was observed for literally millennia, which l;ead to studies that used quanitative data observed in millions of subjects, and established a "safe limit" based on measurable data.
Pure fiction.

The "safe limit" for any toxin is a compromise negotiated between those who sell products and those who supposedly regulate them. Money changes hands, deals are made, and "safe limits" are formulated to make people believe they have nothing to worry about.

It's all feel-good bullshit designed to alleviate people from worrying, not to ensure their "safety."

A single asbestos fiber, for example, can start the mesothelioma ball rolling.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Mikey wrote:You're talking about blood concentration vs. environmental exposure. Completely different animals.

Care to try again?
I dunno -- explaining the obvious to someone who isn't catching on again doesn't sound that fun.

Yes, levels of environmental exposure are hard to quanitify, due in part because everybody absorbs mercury at a different rate.

What did that study say about absortion rates of "carcinogens" from secondhand smoke?

Which "carcinogens" were they measuring, anyway? Pretty sweet study when not only did they not actually measure anything, they even go so far as to not cite which things they weren't measuring. Absolute monument to the scientific process, right there...

But while environmental exposure to mercury will produce different blood levels of it, the results of the exposure can be measured, and put in quantitative terms.

Are you still struggling as to why your analogy was a complete pile of crap?

If you'd get off your stupid insulting know-it-all arrogant high-horse attitude I might be willing to have a rational discussion on this. I did pull the mercury analogy out of thin air without looking into specifics, but also still think in spite of your blathering that it's completely valid. I'll be back to discuss after my conference calls.
Last edited by Mikey on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:So, were you lying earlier, or are you lying now? You made two contradictory statements, so I was just hoping you could help a brother out deciding which Jimmy Meds to believe....the Page 11 Jimmy Meds, or the Page 9 Jimmy Meds? One of them is lying, and I figured YOU were uniquely qualified to tell us which one it was.
I think there is a third choice, which is he is blowing smoke out of his ass. Mind you, in doing so, he is exposing all of us to his smoking ass fumes and should be fined and horsewhipped.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Do you need help understanding the choice between living and being a fucking junkie?

Big Tobacco's pole must be giving that esophagus of yours a bruisin'
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

TenTallBen wrote:

If there is no right to smoke, then stores shouldn't have the right to sell cigarettes and governments should't have the right to collect taxes levied on said cigarettes. Like I said before, if its that bad for everyone then ban it already!
There is no right to smoke where ever you feel like. The governement has plenty of restrictions on how you can use lots of legal products. You certainly have not right to act as you want in a public place. You have no right to be naked, you have no right to blare your boombox, you have no right to run around waving a gun.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

PSUFAN wrote:Most folks out there are willing to accept basic common sense ...
You mean like smoking bans outside?

Yeah, lots of common sense there. :meds: Like I said, you may as well endorse a ban on charcoal grilling because of the "danger" -- it's just as idiotic.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Uncle Fester wrote: Pure fiction.

The "safe limit" for any toxin is a compromise negotiated between those who sell products and those who supposedly regulate them. Money changes hands, deals are made, and "safe limits" are formulated to make people believe they have nothing to worry about.

Uhm, you DO know where most of the mercury in people's bodies comes from, right?

The main product that are being sold and regulated that cause the overwhelming majority of human mercury exposure is fish. It's a naturally ocurring substance, and has been since long before anybody even knew what mercury is.

Wonder what the average level of mercury was in the blood of the "subjects" of the secondhand smoke "study?" Oh wait -- they didn't mention that.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:Do you need help understanding the choice between living and being a fucking junkie?
No, what I need help with understanding is why you first claimed that other people smoking increases your health-care costs, and now you claim people NOT smoking increases your health-care costs.

Regardless, since you've now made two contradictory statements, it's obvious you weren't basing either statement on any sort of fact, leading one to believe you were making the shit up, which you were.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Uhm, you DO know where most of the mercury in people's bodies comes from, right?

The main product that are being sold and regulated that cause the overwhelming majority of human mercury exposure is fish. It's a naturally ocurring substance, and has been since long before anybody even knew what mercury is.

Wonder what the average level of mercury was in the blood of the "subjects" of the secondhand smoke "study?" Oh wait -- they didn't mention that.
All I'm saying is that the idea of "safe limits" for toxins is more oyxmoron than scientific certainty.

The motivating and mitigating factor behind establishing such limits is money. Period.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Uncle Fester wrote:The motivating and mitigating factor behind establishing such limits is money. Period.
Not relevant to the topic, but every year, the state department of wildlife publishes a list of bodies of water, and the "safe" limits of what quantities and types of fish can be eaten from a given body of water.

How is this motivated by money, rather than public safety?
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Dinsdale wrote:what I need help with understanding is why you first claimed that other people smoking increases your health-care costs
Your grasp of Big Tobacco's pole is noted. Your grasp of the differences between responsible choices and bad ones is lacking.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Answer the question, Claire --

Which posts were you lying in while trying to make your point?
UCant#1

Post by UCant#1 »

Dins... weren't you "on your way out the door" like an hour ago?
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Doltsdale-- a weaker effort couldn't be served, even by your already-anemic standards. You can continue to press on with this concept of calling me a liar, but the fact remains that both statements are accurate, and neither contradict the other.

Now, inside that TRS80-powered vacuum tube of a brain you have you probably think you have Jimmy Medalions cornered. :lol: Sorry dumbfuck, but the only way my posts contradict each other is if I say people don't have a right to living, or I don't support people living. Nice try*

*not really

Douchedale, you couldn't be a bigger moron if you popped a dozen roofies and let JtR impale your dimehole with his short-as-all-his-lines-in-all-movies knuckleprodder.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:neither contradict the other.
OK. Thanks for clearing that up.

I guess I got confused when you said "people smoking increases my health care costs," and then later told us that "people NOT smoking increases my health care costs."

I obviously just forgot what the word "contradict" meant.

UCan'tDoItWithoutReregistering800Times -- Yup, and I'm dead serious about it this time...in a few minutes, anyway. Enjoy your weekender.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

RadioFan wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Seems like there's an AWFUL lopt of fuckups running around this country to be spending this much time worrying about what everybody else is doing, even though it doesn't æffect them, rather than keeping their own backyard clean.
RACK.

Not to mention the idiotic priorities for law enforcement in trying to enforce this ordinance.

Robberies? Assaults? DUIs? Hell no, we've got more important things to worry about in Calabasas! Officer! Officer! Get over here quick! I saw someone smoking outside!

:meds: :meds: :meds:
I was going to read this whole thing, as I am an occasional glutton for literary punishment, but I simply have to stop right here and RACK Brothers' RF and Dinesondale...and move along. Nails! Nothing further to see here...

California freaking sucks
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
UCant#1

Post by UCant#1 »

Dinsdale wrote:Enjoy your weekender.
Hit 'em straight.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Dinsdale: Not relevant to the topic, but every year, the state department of wildlife publishes a list of bodies of water, and the "safe" limits of what quantities and types of fish can be eaten from a given body of water.

How is this motivated by money, rather than public safety?
The DNR publishes advisories about lakes and fish consumption, obviously for purposes of public safety. They do not regulate the industrial and human activities that lead to mercury pollution, which is where money enters the picture.

For those who operate coal-fired power plants, waste incinerators, or landfills, it costs them money to reduce mercury emissions. They hire lobbyists and politicians to help them out.

Thus, when the FDA sets it's standards for "safe" mercury consumption, the health data is only one piece of the puzzle. The obfuscators, corporate whores, and others soul-selling shitbags do their thing to do whatever they can to minimize the effects to somebody's bottom line. It's how the game is played.

So the U.S. FDA sets its "safe" level for mercury and everyone goes away happy. Meanwhile, Canada's safe level is half that of ours, and Japan's and Great Britain's is lower still. Who is right? Which standard is really safe? Who is involved in making the call?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Uncle Fester wrote:They do not regulate the industrial and human activities that lead to mercury pollution
And there's the (off-topic) catch -- those activities have little to do with the amount of mercury found in fish. There was mercury in fish and the humans who ate them 2000 years ago.
rozy wrote:Dinesondale
Still the only even remotely humorous bit of nicksmack ever sent my way. RACK!

California freaking sucks

You've obviously never been there. California is a beautiful place, with some seriously breathtaking shit to its credit (not as cool as where I live, but cool nonetheless).

I think what you meant to say was "CaliforniaNS freaking suck," which would be a Marcus Allenesque statement.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Dinsdale wrote:I think what you meant to say was "CaliforniaNS freaking suck," which would be a Marcus Allenesque statement.
Damn. Beat me in with an "esque" reference. I was saving my Carrie Nationesque reference the next time I saw a post from the liberals in this thread somehow inferring that they really, really care, about smokers' well-being (as opposed to not wanting everybody else to be just like them, because, after all, that has never, ever entered into any militant or "reformed" nonsmoker's mind), or even their own "skyrocketing health-care costs" argument.

I've still got the "save the sanctamonious bullshit for your kids" blast on deck, but I was hoping to use it in tangent with the Carrie Nationesque reference. Damn spoiler.
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

PSUFAN wrote:
mvscal wrote:
See You Next Wednesday wrote: So? I don't want to breathe it in and stinks up my clothes.
Tough shit.
Ha ha...mighty tough talk. The problem for you is, most people in this country are willing to move this thing forward. It's happening town by town, according to the will of the people (shh, don't tell TarddowenTallBen, please).
Why the fuck do people laugh at shit that's going to come back and haunt them? Oh, that's right.....they suffer naught in the interim.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Dinsdale wrote:
And there's the (off-topic) catch -- those activities have little to do with the amount of mercury found in fish. There was mercury in fish and the humans who ate them 2000 years ago.
You're kidding, right? :)

Yeah, mercury is a naturally occurring element (duh), but humans are responsible for nearly two-thirds of the mercury currently circulating in the environment.

You might want to consider confining your "expertise" to threads about beer, wine, and Gracie Jujitsu.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Y2K wrote:Bullshit Diego....

If I owned a place that had hazerdous chemicals and some anti-chemical crusader was dead set on being my employee I would be more than happy to accommadate just as any other employer that deals with chemicals in the workplace but unfortunately that option isn't offered the proprieter of that business when it come to Cigarettes...... Right?

Crazy how there's thousands of jobs that people work in where they are subject to chemicals known to be hazerdous and options are offered to an employer as pertains to job safety, Somehow some do gooder dumbfuck decided it's somehow more caustic working in a bar as a waitress than some guy pouring Baking Soda on Acid spills at Britz Fertilizer.
Check out how MSDS addresses how employees should protect themselves when dealing with dangerous chemicals and let me know how you think bar owners would feel about their employees using the same devices to protect themselves in their workplace. :lol:
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Uncle Fester wrote:You might want to consider confining your "expertise" to threads about...wine
I laughed.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Diego in Seattle wrote:

If I owned a place that had hazerdous chemicals and some anti-chemical crusader was dead set on being my employee I would be more than happy to accommadate just as any other employer that deals with chemicals in the workplace but unfortunately that option isn't offered the proprieter of that business when it come to Cigarettes...... Right?

Crazy how there's thousands of jobs that people work in where they are subject to chemicals known to be hazerdous and options are offered to an employer as pertains to job safety, Somehow some do gooder dumbfuck decided it's somehow more caustic working in a bar as a waitress than some guy pouring Baking Soda on Acid spills at Britz Fertilizer.
Check out how MSDS addresses how employees should protect themselves when dealing with dangerous chemicals and let me know how you think bar owners would feel about their employees using the same devices to protect themselves in their workplace. :lol:
I see you're not quite "getting it"... :lol:

The Bar owner isn't offered ANY choice in the matter at all.
No ability to alter his property to create special areas to accomodate his staff and patrons. NOTHING.
It's destroyed a whole business sector here in Cali and a loss of revenue via the tax revenue local Mom & Pop watering holes created.
Fuck those people anyway right because they appeased those shitbag smokers, just like the foresaken Walmart Employee you embrace these people have families to feed and bills to pay.
Seig heil.....................
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Y2K wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:

Another hysterical rant absent of facts.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
Y2K wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote: Check out how MSDS addresses how employees should protect themselves when dealing with dangerous chemicals and let me know how you think bar owners would feel about their employees using the same devices to protect themselves in their workplace. :lol:

Another hysterical rant absent of facts.
Brilliant Idea!

How considerate of the City Council to offer up outside Designated Smoking Areas for those fortunate enough to actually have that option available. I'm sure neighboring businesses like clothing stores, doctors offices, ect. embrace this grand idea with open arms.... :lol:
I'm SURE smoke from 20+ smokers huddled into "the zone" couldn't create enough smoke to stream through doorways and windows 20 ft away... :lol:
How funny is it that highly trained law officers like mall Security Guards are working so dilligently enforcing this "ground breaking" new law.
I would be so intimidated by Cletus and Pedro's ticket warning.
:lol:
Can you imagine giving an option to specific businesses to create an enclosed, well ventilated and clearly marked area INSIDE their
own stores? You do understand that these already the norm in many different places outside California and they actually have companies that specialize in building them AND THEY WORK!

I forgot that those options don't fit the real agenda.
Seig Heil.......
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

For those of you trying to say that people who slam Big Macs and pork rines all day don't affect others around them are full of shit. I just got back from an Allison Krause & Union Station concert (which was most excellent BTW) and the fat tub of gelatinous shit that was sitting next to me was overflowing into my goddamn seat. Any skinny fuck smoking a cig I could politely request them to extinguish it. Dropping a hundred bills from your ass on the spot is not an option. Fuck that Captian Lou Albano bitch and her right to eat the foods she wants. She's driving up my healthcare costs! I hope she doesn't plan on flying Southwest Airlines anytime soon. :meds: