TenTallBen
No title requested

Calabasas = Smoking Nazis

Post by TenTallBen »

Calabasas Smoking Ban
Outdoor Smoking Ban Takes Effect Friday

POSTED: 9:03 am PST March 13, 2006
UPDATED: 10:15 am PST March 13, 2006

LOS ANGELES -- The city of Calabasas, northwest of Los Angeles, is set to enact one of the toughest smoking bans in the nation on Friday.

Survey: Is the smoking ban in Calabasas too strict?

The anti-smoking measure, passed by the city council in February, promises to make Calabasas the first virtually smoke-free city in the country.

Although there will be designated smoking areas, the city has signs that essentially say smokers aren't welcome, and cards that non-smokers can hand out to remind smokers about the law.

Like similar ordinances, the law bans smoking in public buildings, but this law will include bus stops, parks and other outside areas where non-smokers are present.

Calabasas student Margo Arnold initiated the ban when she took a complaint to City Hall. She told NBC4 she doesn't smoke, but sitting outside one day, enjoying a meal, she felt like she did.

"There was just so much smoke," Arnold said, "there were smokers to my left and my right and I just got overwhelmed with having to sit out there and breathe the smoke."

Then why don't you just go into a restaurant where they don't allow smoking to eat your meal?

In January, California declared secondhand smoke a toxic air pollutant.

Everything in the air in L.A. is a toxic pollutant. Shit on the ground is too.

Now Calabasas Mayor, Barry Groveman says the city is protecting the health of its citizens with the new law.

"This does not ban cigarettes, this limits public exposure to secondhand smoke," Groveman said.

Of course! Banning cigs would save many more lives but I guess they'd miss all that tax revenue.

The new law has plenty of critics.

"I think it's political correctness gone off the deep end," smoker Ed Souder told NBC4.

Even some non-smokers, like Linda Kutzin, agree.

"It's their prerogative to smoke if that's what they want to do," Kutzin Said.

According to NBC4, city officials are hoping smokers will get the message and it won't be difficult to enforce the ban. But the sheriff's department is ready to step in.

"What we're hoping is that this will allow it to be acceptable for someone who doesn't want to be impacted by smoke to say, 'would you mind putting that out?' knowing that they have the force of law behind them," said Groveman.

Violators of the ban could pay a fine of up to $500, while repeat offenders could face jail time.

Calabasas officials say they believe one day soon, laws like theirs will be the norm nationwide.

Thirty-six states currently have laws restricting smoking.
Holy Nazi Batman!!! :meds:
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Tough shit. It's not the world's fault that you were too stupid to stay away from cigarettes, butthead.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Either make them illegal and not sell them....or let people smoke where they want...
E UNUM PLURIBUS
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

Diego in Seattle wrote:Tough shit. It's not the world's fault that you were too stupid to stay away from cigarettes, butthead.
What the seer said, dumbfuck.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

TenTallBen wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:Tough shit. It's not the world's fault that you were too stupid to stay away from cigarettes, butthead.
Fine....let's ban them.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
TenTallBen wrote:
Fine....let's ban them.
Won't happen.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
TenTallBen wrote:
Fine....let's ban them.
You sound like you've become a Republican... nice going Pedo.

Screw "human rights"... huh?

Maybe we should just kill off the "Native Americans" for smokin' the "peace pipe"???

Opps, we almost did.

the truth
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Calabasas = Smoking Nazis

Post by Mikey »

TenTallBen wrote:
It's democracy, fuckstain. If you don't like the rules, then either work to get them changed or move the fuck out. Don't sit there twiddling your dick and bitching like a 12 year old cunt.

And you don't even live there.
Fucking pathetic.
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

What's ironic is how the same bitch who was bothered by the smoke outdoors, is content to ingest the toxic fumes from auto emissions everyday of her life.

Ban em or get the fuck off smoker's backs. We could all use LOTS more taxes couldn't we? Careful what you wish for. I say let em smoke all they want outside. They've certainly paid enough for them.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Husker4ever wrote:What's ironic is how the same bitch who was bothered by the smoke outdoors, is content to ingest the toxic fumes from auto emissions everyday of her life.

Ban em or get the fuck off smoker's backs. We could all use LOTS more taxes couldn't we? Careful what you wish for. I say let em smoke all they want outside. They've certainly paid enough for them.
The goverment workers(republicans) lets be honest...

Want to tell you what is best for you (the War in Iraq).

m2 is the truth
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

Right....and meanwhile, another hog strung out on Krispy Kremes just dropped dead from heart failure. Let's ban Krispy Kremes or tax the fuck out of them.

More people die from obesity (by far) than from smoking. We need a junk food excise tax. Actually we don't...we need less people whoring themselves for the spotlight at the expense of liberties.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

Mikey wrote:And you don't even live there.
That article wrote:Calabasas officials say they believe one day soon, laws like theirs will be the norm nationwide.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Diego in Seattle wrote:Fine....let's ban them.
I'm all for banning them. But first we would have to cure the government of it's addiction to unfair tax codes.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Mikey wrote:
TenTallBen wrote:
It's democracy, fuckstain. If you don't like the rules, then either work to get them changed or move the fuck out. Don't sit there twiddling your dick and bitching like a 12 year old cunt.

Fucking pathetic.
But he knows damn well that every stupid idea Cali has ever had has infiltrated the rest of this country soon enough. Better to nip you guys in the bud.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Rack H4E's Triumphant Return.

As for smoking in public places - I believe that there are more people in favor of restricting it that are for it.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

And to ressurect an old discussion...what specifically is the parallel between Nazism and smoking restrictions? Usurp more than your share of rhetorical territory, much?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Husker4ever wrote:we need less people whoring themselves for the spotlight at the expense of liberties.
RACK!

Yet another issue that's been politicized WAY more than it could ever merit in a thousand years.

When do we get around to fixing the record player, when it's stuck in the "we need more laws telling us how to act we need more laws telling us how to act we need more laws telling us how to act" groove?

Seems like there's an AWFUL lopt of fuckups running around this country to be spending this much time worrying about what everybody else is doing, even though it doesn't æffect them, rather than keeping their own backyard clean.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

BSmack wrote:
Mikey wrote:
TenTallBen wrote:

Fucking pathetic.
But he knows damn well that every stupid idea Cali has ever had has infiltrated the rest of this country soon enough. Better to nip you guys in the bud.
^Get's it.^

PSU,

Define public places for me. Private places in the eyes of California when it comes to smoking are quickly becoming very scarce. How about making a law telling smokers where they CAN smoke and leave them the hell alone.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

PSUFAN wrote:And to ressurect an old discussion...what specifically is the parallel between Nazism and smoking restrictions?
They were the first to pass strict smoking laws. Jews were only allowed to smoke in certain areas ...

showers, ovens, etc.*

He didn't just say that did he?
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

How about making a law telling smokers where they CAN smoke and leave them the hell alone.
Louisiana. All yours, my friend.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

PSUFAN wrote:
How about making a law telling smokers where they CAN smoke and leave them the hell alone.
Louisiana. All yours, my friend.
:meds:
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

TTB, would it kill you to quit? It'll certainly kill you not to quit.

In the meantime, speaking of personal liberty, why must you impinge upon the personal liberty of those around you by suckling on gravesticks? No one wants to smell you killing yourself to look "cool".
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

TWIS:

:shock:

:lol:
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Correct me if I am wrong, but are we not talking about smoking OUTSIDE???

In California?

Methinks they have some other issues to worry about first.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

PSUFAN wrote:TTB, would it kill you to quit? It'll certainly kill you not to quit.

In the meantime, speaking of personal liberty, why must you impinge upon the personal liberty of those around you by suckling on gravesticks? No one wants to smell you killing yourself to look "cool".
I don't smoke all that often, only when I'm having beers. I never smoke at work, in my car, in my house, etc... In fact, the only places I even care to have a cig is in my backyard or at a fucking bar. Cali has already banned the latter, I'm just counting the days until they try and 86 the former.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

PSUFAN wrote:why must you impinge upon the personal liberty of those around you by suckling on gravesticks?
Or operating a car?

Or using fertilizer on your lawn?

Which then requires you to use a lawnmower, one of the bigger polluters in the country.

Or using white paper, which poisons the rivers?

Don't forget electricity that comes from coal-fired plants.

Where are you drawing the line here, exactly?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

BSmack wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but are we not talking about smoking OUTSIDE???

In California?

Methinks they have some other issues to worry about first.
Yeah, like how I'm going to skip out on work and head to the beach on a day as nice as the one in the pic... :D
Dinsdale wrote:Or operating a car?

Which then requires you to use a lawnmower, one of the bigger polluters in the country.

Gotta start somewhere, so we're starting with the assholes. Granted, not all smokers are assholes, but let's be honest...the vast majority could give a fuck if you're bothered by their smoke or not. And spare me the rant about how every smoker you know is the most considerate person in the U&L.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Cali has already banned the latter, I'm just counting the days until they try and 86 the former.
-Do you live in CA?
-Do you really equate smoking outside of public buildings with smoking in your backyard?
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

mvscal wrote:
OCmike wrote:the vast majority could give a fuck if you're bothered by their smoke or not.
Why should they? People like you make me want to take up the habit for no other reason than to blow smoke your face.
Maybe you might want to take an English course while you're at it.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Gotta start somewhere, so we're starting with the assholes.
Right. Namely, mvscal.

Hereforthwith, mvscal is banned from smoking in any place, public, private, secret, everywhere.

If we soak him in burning napalm, the resultant smoke must be snuffed ASAP.

If his corpse blackens and smoulders in the Imperial Desert after a "family outing", then you must at least try to urinate on him.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

mvscal wrote:It is grammatically correct. Your ignorance is your personal problem.
And your self-loathing because of your heritage is yours.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Awwwww, did him get his feewings hurt?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

People like you make me want to take up the habit for no other reason than to blow smoke your face.
Ah, shaddapa you face.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

PSUFAN wrote:
Cali has already banned the latter, I'm just counting the days until they try and 86 the former.
-Do you live in CA?
-Do you really equate smoking outside of public buildings with smoking in your backyard?
-I have lived there and my wife is from there. Nice place to visit but living there is more of a hassle than what it's worth.

-No, but they've already tried to make it illegal in some neighborhoods to some in your own apartment if you have a window open and smoke drifts into an open window of another unit. So you could make an arguement that some people do equate the two.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I don't see where a public smoking ban in Calabasas, CA has anything to do with you, because you don't live there. Smoke 'em if you got 'em and all that.

As for people trying to do this or that...well? Try to prevent them.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Dinsdale wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:why must you impinge upon the personal liberty of those around you by suckling on gravesticks?
Or operating a car?

Where are you drawing the line here, exactly?
In my personal estimation, there are benefits to the most of the activities you've listed that outweigh the risks. I don't see the benefits with smoking cigs, at least from a societal perspective. Moreover, people have to act, instead of teetering on the precipice of inactivity because some whit of what they're considering doing might not ring true according to every possible evaluating characteristic.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

PSUFAN wrote:I don't see where a public smoking ban in Calabasas, CA has anything to do with you, because you don't live there.
You must have missed this...
BSmack on page one wrote:But he (TTB) knows damn well that every stupid idea Cali has ever had has infiltrated the rest of this country soon enough. Better to nip you guys in the bud.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

No, I didn't miss that. I think it's a tad bit hysterical to be screeching like a bitch because a minor CA municipality has banned public smoking. Lots of things happen in CA and elsewhere that don't immediately visit upon Louisiana...genetic diversity, for example.
TenTallBen
No title requested

Post by TenTallBen »

PSUFAN wrote:I think it's a tad bit hysterical to be screeching like a bitch
Yeah, that's exactly how I was coming off. :meds:
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I must agree.