The best of the best
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Arab control of ports?

Post by RadioFan »

Arab control of U.S. ports assailed

By Associated Press
February 17, 2006

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration is defending approval of a $6.8 billion sale that gives a company in the United Arab Emirates control over operations at six major American ports, even as one senator sought a new ban on companies owned by governments overseas in some U.S. shipping operations.

Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey said he will introduce legislation to prohibit companies owned or controlled by foreign governments from running port operations in the United States. Menendez said his proposal would effectively block state-owned Dubai Ports World from realizing gains from its purchase of London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.

The British company, the world's fourth-largest ports company, runs significant commercial operations at shipping terminals in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia.

"We wouldn't turn the border patrol or the customs service over to a foreign government, and we can't afford to turn our ports over to one, either," Menendez said.

The pledge for new legislation was the latest step in a tense dispute in Washington over potential security risks associated with the DP World sale. Lawmakers asked the White House to reconsider its earlier approval, saying the United Arab Emirates is not consistent in its support of U.S. terrorism-fighting efforts.

"The potential threat to our country is not imagined, it is real," Republican Rep. Mark Foley of Florida said Thursday in a House speech.

Republican Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania also objected to the deal. He said Philadelphia has been designated a "strategic port" for the movement of military material, and that he has sent President Bush a letter urging him to prevent the sale.

The administration defended its decision. The sale was "rigorously reviewed" by a U.S. committee that considers security threats when foreign companies seek to buy or invest in American industry, said National Security Council spokesman Frederick Jones.

The Treasury Department's Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States received an assessment from U.S. intelligence agencies. The committee's 12 members agreed unanimously the sale did not present any problems, the department said.

"We wanted to look at this one quite closely because it relates to ports," said Stewart Baker, an assistant secretary in the Homeland Security Department. "It is important to focus on this partner as opposed to just what part of the world they come from. We came to the conclusion that the transaction should not be halted."

------------

Michael Savage has been railing against this for two or three days now. WTF is going on here?
The sale was "rigorously reviewed" by a U.S. committee that considers security threats when foreign companies seek to buy or invest in American industry, said National Security Council spokesman Frederick Jones.

The Treasury Department's Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States received an assessment from U.S. intelligence agencies. The committee's 12 members agreed unanimously the sale did not present any problems, the department said.
Who the hell is on this committee? Has the administration lost its mind?

This is probably the first time I've ever agreed with Rick Santorum on anything. This deal needs to be nixed, ASAP, not "defended."
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

mvscal wrote:It's just business.
So do you think we should just go ahead and contract out our border patrol checkpoints to other countries, as Menendez said? :meds:

At what point does national security override "just business?"

I don't give a damn if the Brits ran it before. Seaports should be treated like airports. Not only have we neglected them, we're all but opening them up to some freak aboard a freighter with an agenda and a WMD with this "sale."

I'm surprised that this doesn't bother the hell out of you, mvs.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Gotta say I agree with RF on this. WTF are we thinking?
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

mvscal wrote:There are more radical Islamists in Britain than there are in the UAE.
If that is true -- a big if -- the Brits are far less likely to allow some stowaway or some lacky aboard a ship because he's somebody's second cousin once removed.

It's not like, "Hey, mate, my cousin is a bit unstable with his religion and all, but he'll be a fine shiphand for you." Unlike in the UAE. That shit could happen in the blink of an eye, and the scary part is, unlike in Britain, where records that could document who was on board a ship before a fucking catastrophy, have a tendency to be misplaced or lost in Arab emerites. "So sorry, Mr. Secretary, we can't find them, but we're looking real hard. And let us take the time to say that we, as en entire nation, mourn the loss of your great city of New York."

Fuck that.
Last edited by RadioFan on Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

The Bush administration is defending approval

The administration defended its decision.
This makes it all right, right? :roll:
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

mvscal wrote:Do you honestly believe it is any more or less difficult to compromise an Arab corporation than it is a British corporation...or an American one?
Yes, I do, as in MUCH less "difficult" to compromise an Arab "corporation."

I can't believe you actually used the word corporation and Arab in the same sentence, to be honest, since they are diametrically opposed. (Moving Sale racist blast sure to come).

It is far less difficult to compromise an Arab "corporation." Especially given the Arab penchent for doing "favors." Are you kidding me? These guys make waiters in San Antonio betting 1K hands in poker (3 mos. salary for their "wives" back home) look like amatures, only the Arabs have a hell of a lot more money.
mvscal wrote:
I'm surprised that this doesn't bother the hell out of you, mvs.
I don't have any problem with the UAE. They've been cooperative and they already manage strategically critical ports in the Persian Gulf. We're no better or worse off than we were and we could use a little good will in the region.
Fair enough.
mvscal wrote:As I said, it's just business...and politics. Don't forget politics. Oh yes and the business of politics. Do you truly know who Menendez represents? No Lippo Groups or Riadys or Singaporan shipping interests lining his pockets?
No, I suppose I don't.
mvscal wrote:Take a deep breath.
:lol: :lol:

Seaports. I don't want the UAE owning them, no way, no how.
Solo
Elwood

Post by Solo »

RadioFan wrote:Seaports. I don't want the UAE owning them, no way, no how.
How can you be opposed to the sale after reading this quote?
The sale was "rigorously reviewed" by a U.S. committee that considers security threats when foreign companies seek to buy or invest in American industry, said National Security Council spokesman Frederick Jones.

I gotta admit I was a little concerned until I read that. However, now that I know it was rigorously reviewed I feel much better. It's not like Bush administration or our intelligence agencies have been wrong about anything over the past few years. Dubya knows best, so quit your bitching & chug the kool-aid like a good lackey.
Gunslinger
Sir Slappy Tits

Post by Gunslinger »

mvscal wrote: I don't have any problem with the UAE. They've been cooperative and they already manage strategically critical ports in the Persian Gulf. We're no better or worse off than we were and we could use a little good will in the region.
I agree. Continue to support a country involved on September 11th instead of punishing them. It's known money was wired through UAE and 2 of the hijackers were from UAE.

I'm going to add Suadi Arabian dick to your menu at the delidicktessan.
I fucking suck.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

It's just business.
:meds:

Domestic spying is not a problem for you idiots, because the "landscape has changed" post 9/11. However, when it comes to control of our ports, you're comfortable with no scrutiny whatsoever? Pleased to be handing it over to muslims, sight unseen?

Congrats - you're officially a wonk. Cheney will be calling for his morning hummer any moment now.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Why are you a hypocritical wonk? Is there something in the water flaying your senses, or do you just like the taste of Bush administration cock?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:Your only argument is based on pure, unadulterated, uniformed bigotry.
Tears Jerry. Tears.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Has there ever been any incidents of sabotage to that cargo or those facilities?
How the fuck would you know, until there was a catastrophe? It's almost impossible to believe that you're this stupid...suddenly arguing that because there hasn't been a secrurity breach yet, that you know of, that it's ok to allow some UAE arabs to control what comes into our country?

Sorry, you're only making the argument on Behalf of the Bush/Cheney crowd. Props on sticking with them, where even Santorum fails to tread...
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

UAE is looking for new business ventures seeing as their oil reserves are set to dry up. I have no problem with this. UAE are as capitalist as we are. If America hates Dubai, then UAE has a problem. They need our money.
why is my neighborhood on fire
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

mvscal wrote:"They are Arabs" is not a rational objection.
[marq=right]:bode: [/marq]
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

mvscal wrote:When was the last time you were in the Middle East...save your answer. You've never been there.
Not only have I been, I've posted about here and at ToT. Maybe you should check that keen memory, along with your so-called expertise.

Dumbshit.
Why are you a hypocritical wonk? Is there something in the water flaying your senses, or do you just like the taste of Bush administration cock?
Yeah, I'd say so. What a fucking tool.

And let's get something straight -- the burdon of proof here isn't on those who oppose the sale to show how it could be a security risk. The burdon is on those who think this is such a great idea to show how it wouldn't be a security risk.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
RadioFan wrote:And let's get something straight -- the burdon of proof here isn't on those who oppose the sale to show how it could be a security risk.
Of course it is, you whiny Jew bitch.
OK Marty, give mv back his password.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

I need warren to sort this our for me:
Dubai's oil reserves in 1991 were estimated at 4 billion barrels, which will run out by 2016 if 1990 levels of production continue. The principal fields are Fath, Rashid, and Falah offshore, and Margham onshore.

The UAE has enormous crude reserves that rank 4th in the world. The country's recoverable oil wealth is estimated at 98 billion barrels, the fourth largest after those in Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Iran.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

fraudocal wrote:Of course it is, you whiny Jew bitch.
:lol:

:whiff:
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

mvscal wrote:Dubai is just one of the seven Emirates that make up the UAE.
duh. ~slaps forehead~

excuse my poor reading comprehension and/or brainfart.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

RadioFan wrote:
fraudocal wrote:Of course it is, you whiny Jew bitch.
:lol:

:whiff:
bwaaahahahaha
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

BSmack wrote:
OK Marty, give mv back his password.
Actually....
...I agree with mv on this. Business is business, and the UAE is all about business. If you think they'd let Koran-shouters within even 5 miles of their facilities, you're out of your mind.

Folks, even before the destruction of Americans, these are the "Arab despots" that
Osama wants to annihilate.

Breathe into a paper bag, and look at this from a global monitary perspective.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

You fucking nailed it, dude.
Why don’t you just STFU.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:The British grovel to Islamist freaks. Why are we supposed to be unconcerned with British management?
How about not having EITHER UAE or British companies watching out ports? What about making American port security an AMERICAN job?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

BSmack wrote: What about making American port security an AMERICAN job?
Nobody's talking about giving "port security" to the UAE.

Run along, and gaze at the hypnotic stare of Lou Dobbs. The big people are having a discussion.
Why don’t you just STFU.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Martyred wrote:
BSmack wrote: What about making American port security an AMERICAN job?
Nobody's talking about giving "port security" to the UAE.

Run along, and gaze at the hypnotic stare of Lou Dobbs. The big people are having a discussion.
How about you take your condescension and shove it up your ass.

The company in question is a STATE OWNED COMPANY. As in ANOTHER COUNTRY. The company in question is bidding to take control of a company that is currently being contracted to manage operations of terminals in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia.

That is what we are talking about. Or are you postulating that these port management companies have nothing whatsoever to do with security?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Seems to me that would be an easier in door for a terrorist to:

A: become employed by the company managing port security.
B: learn all he needed to know about port security
C: forward the info to terrorist friends so they can plan an attack.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

BSmack wrote:Or are you postulating that these port management companies have nothing whatsoever to do with security?
Yep.

Management is involved in security on so far as needed to ensure compliance.

You think otherwise? How naive.

Why do you hate Capitalism?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

Have to agree with the liberal honks on this one. The ports should not be run by Arab countries, no more than the southern border should be controlled by the Mexican military...oops

WTF is Bush thinking? He's totally lost me on this issue. Lock up our borders, thats the chief concern.

Damn, I may just have to vote for Billary in 08. Someone pass me the moonshine..or maybe even a pistol..
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Mississippi Neck wrote:Have to agree with the liberal honks on this one.
Link?

A big "liberal honk" agrees with mvs on this one, pardner.
mvscal wrote:Foreign nations have been and are going to continue to operate shipping terminals here in the US. It is a simple fact of life here in the US and elsewhere around the world.
Yeah, I guess "it's just business" will eventually butt heads with security after some nutjob blows a nuke or a dirty bomb in one of our harbors. But hey, as long as it's not on Bush's watch, right? :meds:
Gunslinger
Sir Slappy Tits

Post by Gunslinger »

BSmack wrote: The company in question is a STATE OWNED COMPANY. As in ANOTHER COUNTRY.
Yes and when it was mentioned before to mvscal from me about them funding (more appropriately laundering money) 911 and 2 of their hijackers were from the UAE, he clammed up on some black cock hitting the back of his throat.

As he won't address you either. He'll continue on and pretend he had a pube in his eye.

Yes, the UAE is helping out in the war on terrorism financially and strategically in the gulf, but they still should be told "sorry, not in our citizens interests".

But, what was Bush thinking? Again, oil. He sucks more Arab cock then mvscal at a Black Expo.
I fucking suck.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Martyred wrote:
BSmack wrote:Or are you postulating that these port management companies have nothing whatsoever to do with security?
Yep.

Management is involved in security on so far as needed to ensure compliance.

You think otherwise? How naive.

Why do you hate Capitalism?
The operative words are "so far as needed to ensure compliance". Without compliance you have squat.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

BSmack wrote: The company in question is a STATE OWNED COMPANY.
No confidence in the public sector, eh?
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Dr_Phibes wrote:
When it's owned by a monarchy ... err, a "united" states of Muslim kings?

You're slipping, comrad.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dr_Phibes wrote:
I have more confidence in FEMA than the UAE. OK, to be fair, I barely have more confidence in FEMA.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
titlover
Eternal Scobode

Post by titlover »

RadioFan wrote:
Link?

mvscal wrote:Foreign nations have been and are going to continue to operate shipping terminals here in the US. It is a simple fact of life here in the US and elsewhere around the world.
Yeah, I guess "it's just business" will eventually butt heads with security after some nutjob blows a nuke or a dirty bomb in one of our harbors. But hey, as long as it's not on Bush's watch, right? :meds:
why would they blow up something they just bought?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I agree. They'd set the bomb off in a city.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

titlover wrote:
RadioFan wrote:
Link?

why would they blow up something they just bought?
Yea really. That makes no sense.

sin

The Mafia

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

PSUFAN wrote:I agree. They'd set the bomb off in a city.
It's one heck of a lot easier to get a bomb into a city when you control security at the port.

Boston Harbor is particularly vulnerable due to its proximity to the city.

LA is less so, but a bomb causing massive damage in that harbor would be economically catastrophic.
upstart
Elwood

Post by upstart »

If this deal goes down and something happens (a wmd ) pops off in a port
the GOP will lose both houses of congress.I love GWB ,but this is a bad
politcal move that could put the lefty wack jobs back in power. I hope
the Administration lets it go.
Three time Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

mvscal wrote:They wouldn't "control security" at the port,

The local Port Authority controls security.
They'd have control over operations. Not much of a step from there to getting around the security.