Did the refs give the game to the Steelers?

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Did the refs give the game to the Steelers?

Post by M2 »

By the second half even those lackies in the booth were complaining about the officiating. At least 2 TD's by the Seahawks were nullified and the only decent call they got was when the tight end really fumbled and they let it slide. I thought it was one of the worst officiating games I have seen.

It's too bad they have so much power to influence the outcome of such a big game. There's a lot of money riding on the Super Bowl, and it sure looked like these referee's had Pittsburgh -4.

Seattle was robbed on (1) weak pass interference call in end zone--7pts (2) phantom holding call on Locklear -- 1st and goal at the one yard line--3-7pts (3) personal foul on MH on tackle after int which lead to the gadget TD -- of course I would have gone for the throat too if I were the Steelers. Also, I would even argue (4) BR was short on 3rd and goal. They were so conservative on so many spots that this call on the field didn't make sense to me.

m2 is the truth
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

m2 crying about the zebras? What a fucking shocker.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

PSUFAN wrote:m2 crying about the zebras? What a fucking shocker.
Twit and Skids,

I'm not the only one, in fact, I'm in the majority.

m2
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

PSUFAN wrote:m2 crying about the zebras? What a fucking shocker.
All one has to do is look at the plays!

Could this have been the shittiest officiating in an NFL Super Bowl?

How many bullshit calls did they have to make to help Bettis become the next Elway? Super Bowl XL will be forever marked for being rigged!

Penalties:
Seahawks :7-70 :shock:
Steelers: 3-20
PENALTY on SEA-S.Locklear, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 19 - No Play.

PENALTY on SEA-C.Gray, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 41 - No Play.

PENALTY on SEA-D.Jackson, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 16 - No Play. :x

PENALTY on SEA-E.Pruitt, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SEA 35.

PENALTY on SEA-S.Locklear, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 19 - No Play.
I hope the one on the thumb of Steelers fans is really tight, because these thieves stole it!

What a bunch of shit! Give Jerome "Overatted Bettis" his ring at all costs!
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The responses of these two trolls are quite predictable. :yawn
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

Yea, M. I am used to jumping on you too but I was thinking the same thing while I was watching it. It really may have been the worse I have ever seen.

On Roth's TD too. Um why was that judge running in half way short of the goal line only to come in after he saw Roth on the ground beyond the line? His eyes told him he was short during live action and basically changed his call while he was running in or he let someone else change his mind. He had the line of sight and made a decision but he changed it while running in. I don't care if he called TD or not at that point, it was the change after what he saw when bodies were coming off the ground.

I do not think Ben should have got that call but on replay, he may have gotten it. It was very close and the angle we saw may still suggest that the curve of the ball came over but tht was one of the decisions made in PIT's favor tonight.
Striving to be a victim of Polly's plagiarizing ways.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Take the win, SteelerFan...don't let the conspiracy theorists try to convince you that you didn't deserve it. The refs made a few bad calls but the Steelers made two huge plays on offense that made the difference.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Clear Steelers win, you can tell the ball went over the goal line on Ben's TD.
d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

If the Broncos were playing today and lost, I know I would have put 100% of the blame on the officials. Who else is there to blame?

sincerely,
Bronco Rob.

seriously though, I only saw a couple of questionable calls and the Seattle challenge for the fumble was a good challenge.

Bottom line is, the Steelers simply showed up and wanted this win much worse than the Seahawks did. Seattle was out coached and out played almost the entire time.

Congratulations, Steelerfan.
Don't blame me, I voted for Trump
kcdave wrote:kicked my own ass many times
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

PSUFAN wrote:The responses of these two trolls are quite predictable. :yawn
Don't try to bring others down because your life sucks! Taking a page out of atomic pussies and goober mcTumor's page only shows your ignorance. Then again, you did go to Pussy State U!
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Let's just say that sometimes the better team doesn't win the game. In this case, the Seahawks were the better team and were jobbed by the refs.

the truth
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cross Traffic wrote:Clear Steelers win, you can tell the ball went over the goal line on Ben's TD.

I didn't...that call was dead wrong. You couldn't see the ball for sure but it didn't appear to me that Roethlisberger broke the plane of the goal line. The Jackson call was crap too. You change those around...it's probably 10-3 Seattle at the half.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

m2 wrote:Let's just say that sometimes the better team doesn't win the game. In this case, the Seahawks were the better team and were jobbed by the refs.

the truth

OK, now you've lost it. The Seahawks were the better team? I can understand the referee complaints but the Seahawks were better the Steelers for the first half but they lost the game in the second half. The Parker run and the Randle-El option pass don't happen if the Seahawks were the better team in the game. You're giving the bad calls WAY too much weight in the game. It wasn't the refs fault the Seahawks counted manage the clock in the final drive.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Shoalzie wrote:
Cross Traffic wrote:Clear Steelers win, you can tell the ball went over the goal line on Ben's TD.
I didn't...that call was dead wrong. You couldn't see the ball for sure but it didn't appear to me that Roethlisberger broke the plane of the goal line.
Speak with forked tounge much? You couldn't see for sure? What I saw was the nose of the ball crossing the plane before and as Ben hit the ground.

TOUCHDOWN!!!!
The Jackson call was crap too. You change those around...it's probably 10-3 Seattle at the half.
Jackson took push off lessons from MJ. That was a solid call. His hands were out and he extended his elbow. That is offensive interference. End of fucking story.

I'll be the first to admitt the Steelers didn't bring their A game. But the Seahawks brought their D- game when it came to 3rd downs and the red zone. Sucks for them.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

bsmack: Sorry dude, but to come in here and claim that the Burger TD was definitely a TD smacks of utter homerism. It was inconclusive either way.

You won. That is enough.

But please do not sit here and say that the officiating was okay. The holding penalties were gawd awful and stopped two drives. One would have been first and goal. Yeah, THAT'S not a big penalty. The Hawks were the least penalized team the last TWO years.......Pitt 3 for 20???????

It was another joke in a long line of jokes.

And of all the fans....the Steelers.....after the Colt game. Enjoy it. I just wish the game would have been actually played on Sunday not during the week before in Tags office.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

T REX wrote:bsmack: Sorry dude, but to come in here and claim that the Burger TD was definitely a TD smacks of utter homerism. It was inconclusive either way.
I just showed you the pictures. Do you not see where the ball is?
You won. That is enough. But please do not sit here and say that the officiating was okay. The holding penalties were gawd awful and stopped two drives. One would have been first and goal. Yeah, THAT'S not a big penalty. The Hawks were the least penalized team the last TWO years.......Pitt 3 for 20???????
You don't want to get flagged for holding? Then don't hold. And don't hook the defender with your arm.
It was another joke in a long line of jokes.
No, the joke was the Seahawks play on 3rd downs and in the red zone.
And of all the fans....the Steelers.....after the Colt game. Enjoy it. I just wish the game would have been actually played on Sunday not during the week before in Tags office.
I just wish people actualy understood the game of football before spouting off about penalties they don't understand.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

I don't see how you can conclusively say the ball did or did not break the plane based on any replay. I have my doubts however because Ben and to reach back to pull the ball forward when he was on the ground. Interesting to note in this pic you provide B, Ben's right elbow is down, and the ball is parallel to the plane, or so it appears. It really could have gone either way.

However, I also don't see how the ref could have overturned the call on the field because it was too damn close without any visual evidence either way. (that's a picture not a screenshot from a tv replay I assume). I also think the Steelers would have given the ball to Bettis if Roeth had not gotten in so I really don't think the refs gave the Steelers any points when it comes down to it.

They did take 7 points off the board with the bogus offensive pass interference against Jackson. Michael Irvin made a career of doing that and both the receiver and the Steeler were putting their hands on eachother on the endzone so I can see why Jackson had to fight off the hands for separation.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

jiminphilly wrote:I don't see how you can conclusively say the ball did or did not break the plane based on any replay. I have my doubts however because Ben and to reach back to pull the ball forward when he was on the ground. Interesting to note in this pic you provide B, Ben's right elbow is down, and the ball is parallel to the plane, or so it appears. It really could have gone either way.

However, I also don't see how the ref could have overturned the call on the field because it was too damn close without any visual evidence either way. (that's a picture not a screenshot from a tv replay I assume). I also think the Steelers would have given the ball to Bettis if Roeth had not gotten in so I really don't think the refs gave the Steelers any points when it comes down to it.
I will admit that had the ref spotted the ball, the ref probably wouldn't have overturned the call on the field. but with the benefit of the pics we have after the game, it is obvious that Ben's elbow was on the goaline (if only just barely) and that the ball broke the plane. It was damn close, but rack the refs for making the correct call.
They did take 7 points off the board with the bogus offensive pass interference against Jackson. Michael Irvin made a career of doing that and both the receiver and the Steeler were putting their hands on eachother on the endzone so I can see why Jackson had to fight off the hands for separation.
There was incidental contact and then seperation before Jackson initiated the contact again with the push off. You can't do that right in front of the back judge and not expect a flag. It's too bad for him because Hasselback's throw was good enough that he should have been able to make the play without cheating.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The push was pretty minimal...but as said above, it happened right in front of the official, and it prevented the DB from making any kind of play on the ball. That's what is being assessed by the official, not how hard the push was.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

jiminphilly wrote:I don't see how you can conclusively say the ball did or did not break the plane based on any replay. I have my doubts however because Ben and to reach back to pull the ball forward when he was on the ground. Interesting to note in this pic you provide B, Ben's right elbow is down, and the ball is parallel to the plane, or so it appears. It really could have gone either way.

I will admit that had the ref spotted the ball, the ref probably wouldn't have overturned the call on the field. but with the benefit of the pics we have after the game, it is obvious that Ben's elbow was on the goaline (if only just barely) and that the ball broke the plane. It was damn close, but rack the refs for making the correct call.
You can't do that right in front of the back judge and not expect a flag.
You can if you're an elite receiver. Had that been someone like Ward, Chad Johnson or even TO, there would be no call.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

jiminphilly wrote:
You can if you're an elite receiver. Had that been someone like Ward, Chad Johnson or even TO, there would be no call.
So in other words, it was the right call.

Saying "But Chad can do it!" is something we usualy get over when we turn 7. It was the correct call. Elite recievers like TO and Chad Johnson also do a better job of disguising a push off. Jackson did it in plain view of the back judge.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

BSmack wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:
So in other words, it was the right call.

In other words, the NFL needs to address the shitty officiating. Elite receivers don't do much to hide it. They just get the benefit of the call. I don't remember what thread it was in but the comment about the NBA lending the NFL refs was a good line.

The officiating this year has been the worse it has ever been.

* edit* let me be clear. I still think the Steelers were the better team. I picked them to win. They outplayed the Seahawks the 2nd half and got the turnover when it counted. But they did get the benefit of some calls that impacted the game.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

jiminphilly wrote:In other words, the NFL needs to address the shitty officiating. Elite receivers don't do much to hide it. They just get the benefit of the call.
Again with the "but HE can do it!" argument. Wassup with that? You're killing your credibility with that crap.
I don't remember what thread it was in but the comment about the NBA lending the NFL refs was a good line.
I'm sure it was a Poptart thread. You probably can't find it because he ran you.
The officiating this year has been the worse it has ever been.
Overall, I'd agree the officals need some serious help. But this game was not bad. There were two calls, both on INT retruns that made no sense. One was the Hasselback low block call and the other was the non call on Wistrom for blocking in the back on Roethlisberger.

Neither one of those calls had a damn thing to do with the outcome of the game.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

PSUFAN wrote:The responses of these two trolls are quite predictable. :yawn
All we need now is for Sky to show up.
I'm sure as I read the rest of the thread, his whining will have commenced at some point.

Rack the win, PSU. 'Twas a grand time in the 'burgh last night.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Shoalzie wrote:

I didn't...that call was dead wrong. You couldn't see the ball for sure but it didn't appear to me that Roethlisberger broke the plane of the goal line. The Jackson call was crap too. You change those around...it's probably 10-3 Seattle at the half.
Listen here... both of you. No one can tell for sure, given the camera angle. No one. So, for anyone to come in here, or anywhere for that matter, and proclaim it one way or the other is an idiot. Waaaaaaaay too close to call.
Ken

Post by Ken »

BSmack... to claim a TD by those pictures is ludicrous. Outright silly.

Enjoy the win like PSU and me for God's sake and quit making a fool of yourself.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Maybe if we blow this bad boy up a bit, you'll see what I mean Ken.

Notice how Ben's arm is next to the goal line, the ball is in his arm with the nose turned slightly towards the line and his momentum is still carrying him forward.

There is a better shot than this out there waiting to surface. But until then, this will have to do. Unless you are proposing that Newton's Law of Inertia be overturned, I don't see how looking at this picture doesn't convince the doubter of the correctness of that call.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Doesn't convince me.

Worst.Super Bowl.Ever.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
UCant Unretires Again

Post by UCant Unretires Again »

Who gives a fuck about inertia? His elbow is touching the field in that picture. He is down by contact. Can you tell me conclusively that the ball has broken the plane in that photo?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

If anything, I don't think there was enough visual evidence to overturn the call but it wasn't that cut and dry. If he crossed the line, nose of the ball had barely broke the plane. It was a matter of inches and from the camera angles on TV, I wasn't convinced he got in. I thought Lewis had met him right at the goal line and stopped him cold.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:Doesn't convince me.

Worst.Super Bowl.Ever.

Buffalo-Dallas, San Diego-San Francisco and Denver-San Francisco were worse...at least from the standpoint of being one-sided blowouts. This game at least had some decent drama. The outcome of the game was swayed on a couple of key plays. I thought it was a good game but not a great game. All three of the New England wins and the Rams-Titans game were better...no question.
Last edited by Shoalzie on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

BSmack wrote:Maybe if we blow this bad boy up a bit, you'll see what I mean Ken.

Notice how Ben's arm is next to the goal line, the ball is in his arm with the nose turned slightly towards the line and his momentum is still carrying him forward.

There is a better shot than this out there waiting to surface. But until then, this will have to do. Unless you are proposing that Newton's Law of Inertia be overturned, I don't see how looking at this picture doesn't convince the doubter of the correctness of that call.
:meds:

oh shit here we go. A 5 page thread with everyone giving their interpretation of the photo. Anyone have a pic of the grassy knoll? I think we might be able to bring to a close the 2nd shooter theory.

Good job, B. You've opened a can of worms now.

(although wtf else is there to talk about now that football is done so carry on)
See You Next Wednesday

Shoalzie wrote:

Worst.Super Bowl.Ever.

Buffalo-Dallas, San Diego-San Francisco and Denver-San Francisco were worse...at least from the standpoint of being one-sided blowouts. This game at least had some decent drama. The outcome of the game was swayed on a couple of key plays. I thought it was a good game but not a great game. All three of the New England wins and the Rams-Titans game were better...no question.
I suppose the drama was there, but it just never felt like either team was a "Super Bowl" caliber team. Plus, the refs killed much of the momentum of the game. At least in those Super Bowls you mentioned one team was showing us something special. This just did not seem very "Super Bowl"-ish.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Worst.Super Bowl.Ever.

Not even close. The Redskin-Bills, Niners-Chargers, Cowboys-Bills 2, Broncos-Falcons, Niners-Broncos and thats from what I have seen.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

BSmack wrote:Maybe if we blow this bad boy up a bit, you'll see what I mean Ken.

I think the refs sucked but this play wasn't one I was complaining about. Obviously you can't judge the call from this photo's angle which is slightly behind the play. During the goal line angle of the replay it looked to me that the nose of the football broke the plain of the stripe.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

See You Next Wednesday

The thing that gets me about the Burger TD was the side judge or line judge or whichver judge calling it a TD when he at first was running over to spot it short. What was that about?
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:The thing that gets me about the Burger TD was the side judge or line judge or whichver judge calling it a TD when he at first was running over to spot it short. What was that about?
Rack that! He was signaling short- and then called it a TD. When he called it a TD- the ball was on the ground 1/2 a yard before the goalline. How can you signal short, then when you see the ball is not on the line of scrimmage, call it a TD. WTF???? :shock:
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:The thing that gets me about the Burger TD was the side judge or line judge or whichver judge calling it a TD when he at first was running over to spot it short. What was that about?
Old senile Refs are ruining this game. They are so influenced and intimitaed by the players now, it's pathetic. How many late flags have we seen when a reciver throws up is arms wanting pass interference? I always thought it was where you are when your knee was down. Total garbage call on the TD! That was a great stuff by the Seahawks. But... Jerome had to have his trophy. After all, the NFL needed to make sure they had their colored Elway to take the heat off of that lack of hiring minority head coaches.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

frodo_biguns wrote:
Old senile Refs are ruining this game. They are so influenced and intimitaed by the players now, it's pathetic. How many late flags have we seen when a reciver throws up is arms wanting pass interference? I always thought it was where you are when your knee was down. Total garbage call on the TD! That was a great stuff by the Seahawks. But... Jerome had to have his trophy. After all, the NFL needed to make sure they had their colored Elway to take the heat off of that lack of hiring minority head coaches.
Even by your already low standards, that is one fucked up post. Could you at least give Oliver Stone his proper writing credit?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown