When vince goes to the NFL...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

When vince goes to the NFL...

Post by peter dragon »

Will he be better than Vick? I think he has surpassed vick as far as arm shrength and accuracy and he still has a year of CFB left. When Vince goes, he will be a better pro than Leinert and will be lightyears ahead of Vick. I dont think Leinert is better than palmer. Leinert has relied on White and Bush to carry his ass for two years. he makes too many bad reads and throws the ball up too much..

Congrats Texas.

The nic stays for another week for respect. Rack em!

Hook 'em!

p
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

In Bill Simmons' new column, written with all of the comedy of his old columns, of course, he goes from ranking Vince as "no way he's an NFL QB," to "I'd only put Manning, Brady, and Palmer" ahead of him.

I love his running diaries...

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Accuracy? Yes. Arm strength? No. And considering I don't think Vick is worth two shits, Vince doesn't have much to do to prove it to me.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Vince's arm strength is not better than Vicks. Vick has a missile. Too bad his missile is about as accurate as an Arab on a Camel.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

the_ouskull wrote:In Bill Simmons' new column, written with all of the comedy of his old columns, of course, he goes from ranking Vince as "no way he's an NFL QB," to "I'd only put Manning, Brady, and Palmer" ahead of him.

the_ouskull
I saw that article, it was pretty funny, but he needs to let go of the Pete Carroll hate and the College football bashing.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Killian wrote:Accuracy? Yes. Arm strength? No. And considering I don't think Vick is worth two shits, Vince doesn't have much to do to prove it to me.
I don't know how strong Vick's arm is but I remember when Vince first came to Texas they were running some passing drills and he was on one knee working on his mechanics he was able to throw the back almost 50 yards from one knee. I was impressed
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Watch out, NFL.

I mean guys like Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Michael Vick, and all those "dual-threat" QB have just DOMINATED the NFL over the last couple of decades.

Anyone care to name one besides Steve Young(who picked his spot, and only used the ruun as a bailout from a broken play, for the most part), who has A) Led their team to a Super Bowl victory, and B) Had more than a couple of years of effective running? Hell, Vick is already starting to slow down, and he's just getting started in the NFL. Steve McNair hasn't been a running threat for a long, long time -- he just tried to keep the running attack going because that dude is a stright-up WARRIOR(and no mouth, all game, like every player should be).

Hey, remember all those times that Joe Montana kept those silly defenses honest with his feet? Yeah, me neither. Bradshaw? Yup, couldn't keep that guy in the pocket for a second. Staubach? Yeah, think of how good he could have been if he ran around the backfield like a female "guest" at a CU recruiting party? And Theisman? If he would have got himself a set of happy feet, he'd probably still be playing today.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Oh, and btw -- I'll give VY my vote for being the better passer. Much better...but it's much easier to look cool on saturdays than it is on sundays.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

Until Young can prove that he can sit in the pocket and throw downfield, I don't see him being a great, or even a decent NFL QB.
mvscal wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:Seriously - I think we need a different approach - strong, intelligent, principled, and fresh. Obama seems to fit the bill for me best at this point.
Then you are a fucking fool. Straight up. Obama is the dumbest motherfucker who has ever run for President.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Young was impressive but there were too many passes that his recievers had to take with a knee on the ground.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Well, Vick is already supposed to have the strongest arm in the NFL.

Not that it matters in the least.

With Young there's no way of knowing yet whether he'll pan out in the NFL. Obviously he won't be able to take off and run all the time and there won't be so many designed runs for him, not if his employers wish to keep him healthy. Also, he won't have all day to throw to wide open receivers either. He'll have to rely on quick reads, good footwork in the pocket and throwing accurately into tight spaces on the run once he's flushed, just like every other NFL QB...

He hasn't had to do any of these things yet and he's never had to play behind even an equally matched offensive line, much less an inferior one, which will be the case in the NFL...

In order for him to pan out in the NFL he'll have to completely revamp his game and his coaches will have to rein him in or else he'll be a walking, talking turnover on his way to frequent stints on the IR list...

As soon as he's in the NFL and playing for a horrible, overmatched team we can all forget about the way he played in college. It's not going to fly.

If he has the ability to reinvent himself while still having at his disposal all those athletic skills he of course could be dominant but unless and until that happens he's going to be a ticking time bomb to his offensive coordinator...
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

the_ouskull wrote:In Bill Simmons' new column, written with all of the comedy of his old columns, of course, he goes from ranking Vince as "no way he's an NFL QB," to "I'd only put Manning, Brady, and Palmer" ahead of him.

the_ouskull

Guy cracks me up. He is a very clever and funny writer. His running diaries and mailbags are hilarious.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Vince would be perfect in New Orleans since they have a nice group of skilled position players already in place and he'd be in the same division as Vick...making for two must see games each season.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Van wrote: In order for him to pan out in the NFL he'll have to completely revamp his game and his coaches will have to rein him in or else he'll be a walking, talking turnover on his way to frequent stints on the IR list...
And rumor has it that the guy is borderline uncoachable, and almost refuses to listen to one word his coaches say (which Mack Brown almost came right out and said last night), so good luck with that.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Cicero wrote:Vince's arm strength is not better than Vicks. Vick has a missile. Too bad his missile is about as accurate as an Arab on a Camel.
What the ....???

m2
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Dinsdale wrote:
Van wrote: In order for him to pan out in the NFL he'll have to completely revamp his game and his coaches will have to rein him in or else he'll be a walking, talking turnover on his way to frequent stints on the IR list...
And rumor has it that the guy is borderline uncoachable, and almost refuses to listen to one word his coaches say (which Mack Brown almost came right out and said last night), so good luck with that.
Rumor is wrong, fact is Vince is one of the most coachable kids Greg Davis has ever worked with. Vince and the Texas coaches have great relationship so much so that he said in the DMN that he is coming back (pre-Rose Bowl).
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Vito Corleone wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:
Rumor is wrong, fact is Vince is one of the most coachable kids Greg Davis has ever worked with. Vince and the Texas coaches have great relationship so much so that he said in the DMN that he is coming back (pre-Rose Bowl).
Heard the same on the Houston sports shows for the past two years. Vince is a coach's wet dream.
Roofer
Elwood

Post by Roofer »

Is it me, or is everyone overlooking the size of Vince Young (save the elgrande/VAL homosmack kids). They mentioned last night that SC lined up their TE at QB in practice to simulate VY so they could try to get some perspective of his size.

To have that size, combined with speed and agility, is a pretty scary point to ponder.

All that has been said about Young and what he has to/will look forward to at the next level is spot on....great points. But I thhink his size and ability to break tackles while in the grasp easily makes him more of an impact player than Vick. Vick, from what I've seen, has been pretty easy to bring down once you get a hold of him.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Young is 6'5" and 240 lbs. He's a big guy, with some serious speed. He's not quite Vick fast but he's a helluva lot bigger than Vick.

Houston talk shows were all gung ho in debate on whether the Texans should draft Bush or Young with the first pick.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves people. Bush is more of a "sure thing" at this point.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Dinsdale wrote:
Most ridiculous post of the internet 1/05/06. Where did you find this BS you bathe in?

Post by Guest »

Vince Young is the black Tommie Fraser. He has no chance in the NFL.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

I thought he was the white Eric Couch?
GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

I thought he was the mulatto Franco Harris?
From the moment we leave the forest, Dan, it's all a givin' up and adjustin'.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

He is the Chinese We Fuckem Young
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:Staubach? Yeah, think of how good he could have been if he ran around the backfield like a female "guest" at a CU recruiting party?
Not the best choice to bolster your argument.
Making Staubach particularly dangerous was his ability to scramble out of trouble – his 410 career rushes netted him 2,264 yards for a 5.5-yard average and 20 touchdowns.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

Nice find ^^^^
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I'm old enough to have witnessed his entire career. :(
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

There is a reason he was called Roger the Dodger the guy was a witch at getting out of trouble. It also contributed to his 7 concussions and early retirement.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Elway wasn't immobile by any means either.

Tarkenton doesn't have a ring but he was obviously better than plenty of guys that have rings.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Tark and papa Manning are the first QBs that come to mind when I think of old school moble QBs. Bradshaw was another guy who early on was a pretty good runner.

BTW the inside guys over on OB.com are saying that Vince is coming back, but if he comes out he will likely go 3 to the Titans.

The scariest thing in the NFL is Norm Chow and Vince Young. If norm can teach him how to throw with good form Vince will become the ultimate freak QB.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I think Vince may go #1 to the Texans, the PR disaster that they would face not drafting Houstons favorite son (at this time) would be too much for them to risk. then Leinart would go to the Titans to be around Trojans like Chow and Fischer
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Insiders for the Texans are saying they will take Bush #1.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Drafting a project like Young when you've already got a #1 overall pick QB in David Carr simply doesn't make a lick of sense for Houston.

"Feel good" stuff aside, there's no way Houston's GM is going to risk his paycheck on a position that's already the strength of the team anyway.

Houston needs more weapons for their QB and they desperately need help on the O Line in order to give their QB and that added skill position help the ability to shine.

If you're Houston's GM you have to either take Reggie or trade down in the draft to get some strength in numbers.

Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Would someone ban this bitch already
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Van wrote:Drafting a project like Young when you've already got a #1 overall pick QB in David Carr simply doesn't make a lick of sense for Houston.

"Feel good" stuff aside, there's no way Houston's GM is going to risk his paycheck on a position that's already the strength of the team anyway.

Houston needs more weapons for their QB and they desperately need help on the O Line in order to give their QB and that added skill position help the ability to shine.

If you're Houston's GM you have to either take Reggie or trade down in the draft to get some strength in numbers.
There is talk that they could trade down for extra picks, and also trade Carr for more picks and then still draft Vince at #3-5. The problem is that Tennessee is probably looking at taking Vince at #3 if he declairs, Vince is related to Steve McNair and has been working out with the Titans organization since he was a freshman. There is nothing about Vince they don't know and lets not forget they have Norm Chow to help him fix his throwing motion.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

I used to laugh at the idea of Vince being an NFL quarterback. I now stand corrected.

Dude is the second coming of McNair.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Vito Corleone wrote:Insiders for the Texans are saying they will take Bush #1.
Although I'm not buying it yet, it's rumored that the Dolphins are interested in trading Ricky Williams and conditional draft picks to the Texans for Carr. If this were to happen, there's no doubt we'd pick Young then look for a Vet to start at QB in 2006 while Young sits and clipboard's his brain for a full NFL season.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

the thing is.... nobody is labeling Young a "System QB" I want to see how well he will do under center, dropping back from a pro set. Unless an NFL team is going to go to the spread option

Maybe the Texans trade Carr, draft Young and get a few O linemen or a RB in the trade for Carr or in free agency
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Listening to some radio talk show the other day, Sean Salisbury and Troy Aikman were going on about Young's prospects in the NFL and to echo what SoCalTrjn just posted the main point they were making is Young will really struggle in the NFL because he's been nothing but a shotgun QB playing behind a dominant line during his short career.

No three, five and seven step drops, no precision timing off those drops, no precision routes, no footwork...none of it; none of the things that must be mastered to the point where it becomes second nature before a young QB can even begin to take the next step in his learning curve, which is the ability to read defenses and then smoothly check down through his pattern progressions in the face of a dizzying array of coverages and blitzing schemes.

The inate athletic abilities aren't even factors. They won't mean a thing until first the guy (any guy) learns how to smoothly operate at a high rate of execution inside the pinball machine.

As for Houston, yep, trading Carr would be the only way they could entertain thoughts of drafting Vince.

If Houston could pick up a (motivated) Ricky Williams in exchange for David Carr that'd open the door but man, what a risky endeavor that'd be: Ricky Williams as your franchise back and Vince Young as the clipboard carryin', $$ hoardin' project who'll need at least a year or two simply to learn how to play the position...

That'd have to be one not-the-least-bit-worried-about-getting-fired GM who'd bank his future on that scenario....

rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

PrimeX wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote:Insiders for the Texans are saying they will take Bush #1.
Although I'm not buying it yet, it's rumored that the Dolphins are interested in trading Ricky Williams and conditional draft picks to the Texans for Carr. If this were to happen, there's no doubt we'd pick Young then look for a Vet to start at QB in 2006 while Young sits and clipboard's his brain for a full NFL season.
Change that to Ronnie Brown and I'm in. No way do we went Williams.

We're going to keep Carr and draft Bush. Straight out of Casserly's mouth.
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.