Question for the board regarding programming ....

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

drummer
Give the drummer some

Question for the board regarding programming ....

Post by drummer »

I've decided to take the plunge , and learn to write code and programming . My question is where to start . I'm thinking of purchasing books on C+ or C# , but I'm confused on the right material to buy . Any suggestions ?
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Hard to say. My best recommendation is see if you can take a beginners class. Why? Well I went through school as a CS major and asside from learning a lot of programming, we learned a ton about the basics. When you learn to program on your own, you kind of skip all of that.
The other question is what are you trying to accomplish?

Writing programs in general, not necessarily for windows? Start with C, then move to C++ and then C#.

If you are just looking to write some smaller programs for windows, you may want to look at VB.

Web programming? Learn Java and Perl. Learning some C/C++ before can help.

Most of these languages relate back to C and C++ in one way or another. They all use a similar syntax for the programming. The logic stuff reads almost the same in all of them (loops, if then else statements, etc) In other words. Most 4 year colleges start with C and C++ and then add on Java and web scripting later.

Also if you are looking to administer systems, you would probably be best served by Perl, TCL/TK, C/C++, shell scripting.

In terms of Books, I would probably start out with something that talks about basic practices first. You will want to learn about planning a program, documentation and all of that junk. Get used to it, its a great idea and will save you a lot of time later on (this is why I recommend the beginners class) You might want to keep this in C. Like an introduction to C. Read the first few chapters then start coming up with the programs it asks you to. After that pick up something on C++ structures. This should teach you about some of the more advanced ways to decide on some more advanced programming algorythms. Next, read a book on Object Oriented Programming. Usually after you finish OOP, you can think about forking off onto Java or visual programming languages.

-ET
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

I remember when I wrote my first Fortran program on punch cards in 1983. I had no idea what I was doing and wished I stuck with programming.

Last year, I wrote a C++ program, compiled it, ran it, and smiled. It was simple, but it worked.

What ET is leading you to..... is that you have to have a specific purpose for why you want to program. If you just want to learn, then cool.

If you want to make money, then you are SOL as there are no shortage of overseas programmers doing the bulk of work for less than IC makes at Blockbuster.

Also, dumbasses like Perk thought he could make gillions of Monopoly $$$ (CN) becomming M$ certified. Well actually, most aspiring IT people did and are losing out to India and China sweat shop people that work long hours and have better work ethics than us.

So, to ask WHY you want to learn programming is the real question.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

I don't really plan on getting a job programming . I just want to learn how to write some stuff . I plan on learning more multi-media skills , like audio and video production . But , since I build my own PCs , I figured programming was another logical geek step .

I figure the more I know , the more a can fuck it up , then fix it when I do . :wink:
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

If you are into production then programming is not what you want to waste time on.

In a former job as a network admin there was a production department that worked with this packaged deal called "Video Toaster." That is made by the offshoot of Atari and I forget the name.

I watched a demonstration from a guy that was pimping it and it is perfect for the non-TV company people. It works on a PC and that is perfect for making commercials for broadcasting, etc.

I've seen what ABC does in a studio and they have completely different stuff.

"Video Toaster" is what you want to look at based on what you just said.

ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Note to AP, outsourcing has nothing to do with better workers. It has everything to do with cheap labor and no worker protection laws.

-ET
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

Visual Basic and Learning tree will give you 60% of what you need.

The rest is learned on a project by project basis, IMHO.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Damn ET, you gettin' all technical on my ass in a technical forum today. :P

ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

The house of ElTecho!

-ET