It is time to give Mack Brown some props...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

It is time to give Mack Brown some props...

Post by Left Seater »

In the past we have all said that others have outcoached Mack. Yesterday he outcoached Stoops. Granted the players play the game, but Stoops didn't do much to help his guys.

On the opening kickoff of the second half Texas was offsides. OU returned the kick to their 25. With the penalty OU could have started the drive at their 30, but OU chose to have Texas rekick. Texas kicks it deep and covers the kick and OU starts inside their 20.

On the Texas TD pass right before half time OU comes with an all out blitz, but it is delayed. Young just lofts the ball deep and allows his man to run under it.

OU played pretty good man defense, but instead of staying with that Stoops switches to zone at times which helps Vince complete passes to the soft parts of the zone.

It has been awhile but Brown deserves props yesterday.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Honestly, I feel like coaching (at least on Mack's end) had very little to do with yesterday's outcome. I feel like we got outplayed, and I feel like Texas' talent was vastly superior to ours. Mack didn't HAVE to coach because his players were able to just line up and stroke us.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

There you go, still trying to deny credit where credit is do. Loser.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Brown was in the enviable position yesterday of not having to win that game via coaching, just not lose it. But unlike earlier Brown efforts he didn't lose it. Props on taking your rivals to the woodshed.

Texas is looking good, nobody in the 12 can touch them IMO. I think they are physical enough that USC couldn't just "turn it on" like they have on other teams. My only worry is that Va Tech or Georgia might squeak by due to better SOS.

I can see yet another "left out" situation coming for one of the the aforementioned teams at the end of the season. Georgia will probably get caught but Va Tech and Texas will likely run the board and one would get screwed. Hopefully UCLA or Cal can pull an upset on USC to avert that but probably not.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

campinfool wrote:There you go, still trying to deny credit where credit is do. Loser.
And there YOU go, being 22 posts into your due-to-be-short-assed "career" on this board, thinking that anybody gives a fuck about you, your opinions, or whom you think is due credit.

I'm giving Texas credit. Mack coaches Texas. Therefore, he gets some credit... but his coaching did not win the game for them yesterday. He could have been eating hot dogs all day long and it wouldn't have mattered.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

To be honest, VT's OOC schedule is trash this and for the next 6 years. Until they sac up and play real schools, they do not deserve to be considered over any teams that don't play OOC creampuffs because all teams have tough conference games. The AD at Tech has pissed me off for years with this cupcake scheduling.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

VT's noncon did suck but the 12 is struggling this year and I just worry that a team that runs the board in the ACC or SEC could get more love late in the season. But Texas will beat Taco Tech, and while overrated they are a ranked team, that will help a bit.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

I have always said that Mack gets too much blame and too much credit. He is not a very hands on coach 90% of the coaching takes place with the assistants. The coordinators develop the schemes and decide who is in the game. Mack will cal a few offensive plays and have final say on what the team does but he leaves most everything up to the assistants.

Mack deserves all the credit for putting together a hell of a staff, probably the best staff in the country (this side of USC). He has also put together a hell of a staff of recruiters so they will always keep the talent pipe full.

I will say that anyone who did give Mack shit for losing to Stoops 5 straight years needs to sack up and give him props, its the right thing to do.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Vito Corleone wrote:I have always said that Mack gets too much blame and too much credit.
Probably true of about 90% of coaches in the country.

That's one area where the college game is inferior to the NFL. Then again, the nature of the college game dictates significant roster turnover every year, unlike the NFL, so I suppose it comes with the territory.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Daminal,

SOS was removed from the computer polls and everything else in the BCS equation. Remember?

Skull,

I still think some of Stoops decisions were questionable at best.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Believe the Heupel wrote: chest-thumping from fans of the #2 team in the country for beating a team that's going to have a lot of trouble getting bowl-eligible, but sure-Mack Brown outcoached Bob Stoops on Saturday.
Dude, it's the biggest and baddest rivalry in all of college football and we've been Stoops bitch for the first half of this decade. What else would one expect?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

just to play devil's advocate. if Stoops declining the penalty and forcing the re-kick is an example of Mack outcoaching Stoops....less because of the actual decision (which i was a little iffy on as well--but i guess you're trying to make a play, and you got nothing to lose as underdog) than the result in field position.............then Mack declining a penalty on 3rd down that would have moved OU out of FG position but would allowed 3rd down to be replayed should also be scrutinized--since OU did kick the FG and get on the scoreboard. again, judged by result, and not by the decision.

i think Mack's decision was the right one--early in the game (score is still close), you get their O off the field. Hartley's previous longest was 40ish. but, if results are the criterion (as is apparently the burden of proof above)....then it was bad decision. right?

i, for one, would like to see Gene Chizik coaching out of the Big XII. maybe in China or somewhere. i also thought Duane Akina was one of Mack's first very good assistant hires...couple years ago. since then, he has done a good job, I agree.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Where did all the talent go at OU? I know you guys lost 12 guys to the NFL and have beat up on everybody the past 3-4 years, but did Stoops forget to recruit? The talent level has dropped off in Norman compared to the studs at UT. Looks like this year might be just a glimpse of things to come.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

I'm not exactly sure how you think you will be that much better next year. you are losing 5 starters on offense, 3 of which are Olinemen. Of the guys you have coming back only peterson has proven he is worth a damn. Your defense is losing 4 starters and one more from the 2 deep. The killer is that 3 of the 4 are on the dline.

You might be somewhat better but no way will you be as good as 2k3-2k4.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Class of 2003. #1 class in the nation. 10 players still on the team, only one of them (the punter) starting. Two of them that left were supposed to be OL starters and quit during two-a-days. One of the ones that left is the starting RB at Georgia Tech. Moe Dampeer started as a freshman and quit the team.

That class killed us for this year. Those guys should all be juniors in the system. There's a reason why OU is starting a TON of true freshmen.

Beyond that, Stoops didn't do a very good job of getting some of the non-freshmen that are playing right now ready. Whether that has something to do with trying to get style points for the BCS or what, I don't know.

edit: Should everyone stick around, the team will be much better next year.
You're Punter is really good though.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

PrimeX wrote:Dude, it's the biggest and baddest rivalry in all of college football . . .
We disagree.

Sin,

USC and ND

Michigan and Ohio State
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.