5 greatest bands in Rock History!

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: 5 greatest bands in Rock History!

Post by smackaholic »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote:but to compare these guys to bands like Zeppelin or the Beatles or any of a number of long-established musical talents is ridiculous.
Yet I just did. Face it, old timer. Your shit, or the shit you think of as "the best," is just irrelevant nowadays. Like a 70-year old former beauty queen. You can preach on about the shit that was awesome back in your day. Nobody cares.
you really are a mindnumbingly stupid tard.

quality is timeless. i can sit and listen to mozart or benny goodman for hours. countless others can and do. i can also listen to new stuff like rodrigo y gabriela.

why?

because it is good quality music created by talented musicians.

zeppelin is in this category.

i can assure you that 100 years from now when we are dead and buried, people will still be listening to mozart, goodman and zeppelin. MGMT and that other group you are currently pimping, not so much.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Sudden Sam wrote: the Moody Blues Question of Balance Leo Kottke or Peter Green?

Yes, Yes, and yes.

Didn't peruse whole thread but hopefully Allman Bros, Lynyrd, Petty, Tull, Mac, at least got an honorable mention.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

smackaholic wrote:
quality is timeless.
Caveat.

That statement works both ways. It applies to the merit of some modern music as well.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Martyred wrote:
smackaholic wrote:
quality is timeless.
Caveat.

That statement works both ways. It applies to the merit of some modern music as well.

it certainly does. i gave an example, rodrigo y gabriela.

the thing that has changed is that pop music is currently pretty much unlistenable. this was not the case in the 60-70s when the beatles, stones, zep ruled the pop airways.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

Martyred wrote:I could throw on Exile... any day of the week and listen to it front to back.

A Zeppelin album? Not really.

really? not a zep album? um....there is an album called "Physical graffitti" you might want to check it out, cause it rocks the shit outta anything and everything in the known world. THE mere fact that you dont realize this is cause for uproarious amounts of laughter.

ALSO, keep in mind, I love the stones, especially the first fifteen years or so, HOWEVER, the stones, on their best day, cant hold zeppelin's jock strap as far as musical wizardry goes.

Sure the stones flirted with the devil, in "sympathy for the devil" HOWEVER, zeppelin actually made a pact with the beastmaster one summer in an enchanted forrest in england.

It was then, on a mystical summer eve, that the entire lyrics to "stairway" came to Plant in just about ten minutes, it was as if Lucifer HIMSELF was guiding the blood-filled implement that was in plant's hand.

Its like a famous poster in this forum said, Zeppelin is KING, everybody else is playing for second place.
I'll pull you out of that one bunk hilton and cast you down with the sodomites. The warden, shawshank redemption.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote:but to compare these guys to bands like Zeppelin or the Beatles or any of a number of long-established musical talents is ridiculous.
Yet I just did.
So you're a ridiculous 'tard when it comes to musical appreciation or lack thereof, what else is new?

Wait, didn't you rank LZ and PF as 2-3? And then some band I never heard of as #1?

You're trolling. quite stupidly, but still trolling.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Your gimmick is growing tedious.
Why don’t you just STFU.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote:...and a million others that one cannot even begin to rank
That's why bothering trying to rank them is futile and a waste of time. But you old farts seem to love it.
well, YES and NO, ranking them may be futile to some, HOWEVER, when you talk about "bodies of work" "critical acclaim" and overall 'cock and balls swagger", then things start to become clearer.

Everybody has opinions, HOWEVER, not everybody has a critically acclaimed body of work.
I'll pull you out of that one bunk hilton and cast you down with the sodomites. The warden, shawshank redemption.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

bradhusker wrote: It was then, on a mystical summer eve, that the entire lyrics to "stairway" came to Plant...
You're trolling too, but I'll play... this discussion has been had before

Stairway to Heaven isn't even one of Zep's Top 10 songs. Not that I'm trying to rank their top 10 because that is subjective and impossible, but Stairway doesn't belong on that list.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Yet I just did. Face it, old timer. Your shit, or the shit you think of as "the best," is just irrelevant nowadays. Like a 70-year old former beauty queen. You can preach on about the shit that was awesome back in your day. Nobody cares.
actually screw-, your comment about "irrelevant nowadays"??? is DEAD WRONG, and, I can prove it.

ANYONE who is a serious artist in the music world will tell you to your face, that Led Zeppelin are GODS in the world of music, yesterday, today, and forever.

Today's shit? only time will tell, if, some 50 years from now, your favorite band today is still worshipped? then that will be awesome for you.

TODAY, some fifty years later, elvis presley, johnny cash, chuck berry, the beatles, the stones, the who, led zepp, and others, are called GODS of rock n roll. TODAY, anyone who is a real artist, knows this TRUTH, the fact that you dont know this? screams to me that you dont know shit about music.

scumbags TODAY who think led zepp is irrelevant? those scum dont know their ass from a hole in the ground, so who gives a shit what they say?
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

War Wagon wrote:
bradhusker wrote: It was then, on a mystical summer eve, that the entire lyrics to "stairway" came to Plant...

Stairway to Heaven isn't even one of Zep's Top 10 songs. Not that I'm trying to rank their top 10 because that is subjective and impossible, but Stairway doesn't belong on that list.
WAR? you wanna play with me? I have forgotten more about the mighty led zepp then you will ever dream of knowing. I play hardball, are u sure you want to play?

What zep tunes are considered their top ten is strictly opinion, HOWEVER, I can include "in my time of dying" from physical graffitti, or "since ive been loving you" from zepp III, "babe, im gonna leave you" from zepp I, or even, "over the hills and far away" from "Houses of the Holy, HOWEVER, ' stairway' is also considered a masterpiece of rock n roll, and, if you dont know this, I must respectfully laugh in your face with spittle flying forward to your eyeballs.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

husker, given your enthusiasm regarding THE KING and LZ, you must be a ginormous fan of dread zeppelin.

btw, i am as well. they are absolutely brilliant. heartbreaker hotel is one of the greatest musical feats in history.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

bradhusker wrote:
War Wagon wrote:

WAR? you wanna play with me? I have forgotten more about the mighty led zepp then you will ever dream of knowing. I play hardball, are u sure you want to play?

What zep tunes are considered their top ten is strictly opinion, HOWEVER, I can include "in my time of dying" from physical graffitti, or "since ive been loving you" from zepp III, "babe, im gonna leave you" from zepp I, or even, "over the hills and far away" from "Houses of the Holy, HOWEVER, ' stairway' is also considered a masterpiece of rock n roll, and, if you dont know this, I must respectfully laugh in your face with spittle flying forward to your eyeballs.
stairway is a great tune, but, IMO, zep's best work is their more bluesy type stuff.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Great music is timeless, and you have absolute shit for taste.
The appreciation/respect for a particular artist may be timeless, but how can some of you fucks listen to the same shit over and over and over and over for 40+ years? I've probably discovered more new music in the last month than most of you have in a lifetime.

I listen to the same shit over and over, its just from a different era than these old fucks. Ain't got much exposure to the newer stuff. Or, at least, not the extent to which I once held. The wife knows a lot of the indie dancy stuff, but I just don't invest in the newer shit. My rock and hip hop tastes are stuck in the 90s.

And Belle and Sebastian is awesome.

and The Kinks are better than The Beatles.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Bizzarofelice wrote:...hip hop...
Hip Hop is not ImagerealImage music because it is not made by ImagerealImage musicians playing ImagerealImage instruments.
Why don’t you just STFU.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

you wanna know how us old fucks can listen to Led Zepp over and over? BECAUSE ITS FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!

I just went to youtube, and put on "In my time of dying" live led zepp from earl's court 1975, and may I just say,

HOLY FUCK!!! these guys are GODS!!!!

even though I own this live concert on dvd, and have seen it a thousand times, FUCK, its OFF THE FRIGGIN CHAIN!!

TODAY? you think somebody is making music like that? the fusion of blues with heavy metal and classic rock? and making music on a level as high as that?

do me a favor, just watch "in my time of dying" live at earl's court 1975, and if you dont think that those guys are GODS, I feel sorry for you for the rest of your life.
IF music like that doesnt stir you from the inside cockles of your core, than I am talking to a dead man walking.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

bradhusker wrote:I have forgotten more about the mighty led zepp then you will ever dream of knowing.
Not bloody likely. My memory is not what it used to be, but at one time I could rattle off every song from every album in the order they appeared. I owned every one, first in vinyl, then cassettes (pieces of shit) and finally cd's.
What zep tunes are considered their top ten is strictly opinion, HOWEVER, I can include "in my time of dying" from physical graffitti, or "since ive been loving you" from zepp III, "babe, im gonna leave you" from zepp I, or even, "over the hills and far away" from "Houses of the Holy"
You left a few off. Other Zep songs that are better than Stairway

I: Dazed and Confused, How Many More Times
II: Heartbreaker
III: Immigrant Song, Gallows Pole, hell, the whole fucking album. Their best album, imo.
IV: Going to California, Misty Mountain Hop (loved the LOTRs references - big Tolkien fan)
Physical Graffiti: Trampled Under Foot (when I first heard this, my jaw hit the floor) Houses of the Holy, Down by the Seaside
Houses of the Holy: No Quarter
Presence: Achilles Last Stand
HOWEVER, ' stairway' is also considered a masterpiece of rock n roll, and, if you dont know this, I must respectfully laugh in your face with spittle flying forward to your eyeballs.
Sure, it's a critically acclaimed masterpiece and has made every classic rock radio stations #1 song of all time for 35 years. Even people who don't like rock like Stairway. But it's not even close to being their best song. Not in my book.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

bradhusker wrote: do me a favor, just watch "in my time of dying" live at earl's court 1975...
It probably went completely over your head that JPJ's bass is much more creative than Page's hackey and somewhat juvenile slide work.

Kids love fireworks, I guess.
Why don’t you just STFU.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

YEs, I agree with you, its not their best song, never said it was, I only brought it up because it strictly had to do with Page's fascination with the occult, and more noteably the time they spent in the english forrest in the summer of 1970, a pact had been made with Lucifer HIMSELF, and Plant had publically said that it was as if his hand had been guided by the beastmaster himself, as the lyrics to "stairway" effortlessley came to him in just under ten minutes.

Never said it was their best work by any means, just wanted to point out the "majesty" and the greatness of that rock anthem, thats all.

Personally? I love, "ten years gone" from physical graffitti. always have, I love the majestic guitar chords by page.

These guys are in a class all by themselves, everyone else is merely playing for second place.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

bradhusker wrote:the fusion of blues with heavy metal and classic rock?
lots of bands doing that
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

Martyred wrote:
bradhusker wrote: do me a favor, just watch "in my time of dying" live at earl's court 1975...
It probably went completely over your head that JPJ's bass is much more creative than Page's hackey and somewhat juvenile slide work.

Kids love fireworks, I guess.
FUCK NO! I love great bass, its what makes zepp so fuckin great, just like Mcvie 's bass from fleetwood mac, mick and john make fleetwood mac so fuckin great because if a band doesnt have a great rhythm section, then you dont have much of a band, do you?

HOWEVER, I must respectfully dis-agree with you about jimmy page, you might find his slide work juvenille, I dont, I find it eerie and satanic sounding, which adds to the band's overall mystique.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
bradhusker wrote:the fusion of blues with heavy metal and classic rock?
lots of bands doing that
YES, BUT, not at that level of greatness!!!
its one thing to do that, but another thing entirely to do it at a level most other bands never even sniff.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

i decided to give sebastian and belle a listen.

wasn't aware that rumplebeast played keys and backup vocals.

best way to describe them?

inoffensively boring pop twaddle.

at least they're not MGMT.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

bradhusker wrote: Personally? I love, "ten years gone" from physical graffitti. always have, I love the majestic guitar chords by page.
Absolutely, a glorious tune.

You said they made a pact with the devil, I don't believe that. This song would make the Sistine chapel weep for its sheer beauty. Satan can't conjure music like this, only God can inspire greatness.

Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

bradhusker wrote: HOWEVER, I must respectfully dis-agree with you about jimmy page, you might find his slide work juvenille, I dont, I find it eerie and satanic sounding, which adds to the band's overall mystique.

Jimmy Page is an amazing guitarist. His noodling is a bit much.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

War Wagon wrote:
bradhusker wrote: Personally? I love, "ten years gone" from physical graffitti. always have, I love the majestic guitar chords by page.
Absolutely, a glorious tune.

You said they made a pact with the devil, I don't believe that. This song would make the Sistine chapel weep for its sheer beauty. Satan can't conjure music like this, only God can inspire greatness.

Thanks for posting that greatness. Im sorry, but there is no band TODAY, functioning at that level. Page makes the guitar sing , just like clapton makes the guitar weep in "while my guitar gently weeps",
These guys for whatever reason, were GODS of music, not sure if the pact with the devil was true or not, I just love putting it out there for discussions sake.
HOWEVER, thank you for posting, "ten years gone", this is a level of musical greatness that may never be attained again in our lifetimes.

I think society is currently in a period of overall decline, isnt that what happens? we reach a pinnacle or zenith, THEN, we slowly start to go downhill into decay.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Goober McTuber wrote:Fine. Put it here. In this thread. Let's see if you're any better at this than Screwball.
I'm not really interested in your critique of...well...anything, but suffice it to say, Mr. Sophistication, that I don't dig much bluesy stuff or 8 minute guitar solos so you'll probably hate what I like. My point isn't to knock Floyd, Zepp, etc., I used to listen to all that shit. Got burnt out on it rather quickly. Just saying I can't fathom listening to the same stuff 40 years from now with the same fervor. My listening habits are such that when I discover something I really like, I will listen to it until it disintegrates. That could be weeks, months. Then I'll shelf it for a long while. Then occasionally break it out here and there, and in rarer cases, rediscover an old osbession, and rinse/repeat the listening cycle. But for the most part I'm looking for the next best thing.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

bradhusker wrote: Im sorry, but there is no band TODAY, functioning at that level.
Don't be sorry, no band has ever functioned at that level.
These guys for whatever reason, were GODS of music, not sure if the pact with the devil was true or not, I just love putting it out there for discussions sake.
HOWEVER, thank you for posting, "ten years gone", this is a level of musical greatness that may never be attained again in our lifetimes.
They weren't GODS, no man is God, but they were supremely talented and inspired and put that talent and inspiration to it's best possible use... until Bonzo couldn't hang anymore and ran himself. What a shame. People can Ramble On about Plants voice and Pages chops, but Bonham was the glue that held it all together.

Anyways brad, I think you're preposterously over the top mostly but your heart is in a good place. This is one of my personal favorites.

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Zeppelin was great, awesome, ahead of their time and all that. I still love their music. But to say that nobody today (or ever for that matter) is playing at that level is patently ridiculous. You guys really need to pack up your nostalgia and start living in today's world.

And no, I don't particularly like the shit that Mgo drools over, but the talent pool today is at least an order of magnitude deeper than it was in '71 or whatever. There are guitar players out there now who don't even have recording contracts who could give the best players from 40 years ago a run for their money

~ducks and covers~
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Here's another great song from a great band I just discovered for you old shitstains. Foster the People. This shit is DOPE. They sold out two shows at 9:30 in less than 30 minutes.

kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Some people's musical tastes never graduated high school.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Screw_Michigan wrote:Here's another great song from a great band...
Why is everything you like of that white, pasty, mesh trucker cap, suburban, ironic heavy metal t-shirt wearin' variety?

You can be a "renaissance man" without being an out-and-out faggot, you know.
Do you even have a single jazz record in your collection?
Why don’t you just STFU.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Geez, is it me or has T1B gotten "meaner?"
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Martyred wrote:Some people's musical tastes never graduated high school.
If my musical tastes never graduated high school, I'd still be constantly listening to LZ, PF, BS, all those bands. Not that those bands are bad, I just, you know, outgrew them. Like new pussy, I also like new bands and music.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Mikey wrote:There are guitar players out there now who don't even have recording contracts who could give the best players from 40 years ago a run for their money
Hell, those inner city Jamaican dudes who bang on 5 gallon paint buckets are more mesmerizing than John Bonham.

One thing I don't understand though is "critical acclaim" -- why someone can't appreciate something unless it's gone platinum and sold 4 million t-shirts and bumper stickers. Here's my criteria for good music: press the "play" button. Does it sound good? Yes? No? That's it. End your judgment there.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: Hell, those inner city Jamaican dudes who bang on 5 gallon paint buckets are more mesmerizing than John Bonham.
Riiight. And some of those Jamaican dudes can play a better harmonica than Plant too.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

They're not as adept at looking homosexual either.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Whitey Wagon - he likes his beer cheap, his jobs blue collar, and his frontmen bare-chested.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Not that I have anything against Jamaican dudes.

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Martyred wrote:Some people's musical tastes never graduated high school.
If my musical tastes never graduated high school, I'd still be constantly listening to LZ, PF, BS, all those bands. Not that those bands are bad, I just, you know, outgrew them. Like new pussy, I also like new bands and music.
My quote wasn't directed at you. I thought that was obvious.

How can you call yourself a writer when you're barely a reader?
Why don’t you just STFU.