Sugar Bowl

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

M Club
el capitán

Re: Sugar Bowl

Post by M Club »

L45B wrote: Loved the standup job that ESPN did to constantly remind us all of how many big plays the suspended players made during the game. Uhh, thanks dipshits.
good on them. played with ineligible players all year and had the temerity to ask that their meager suspension be served "next year." there should be a toejam auto-reply to every one of your posts.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

M Club wrote:
L45B wrote: Loved the standup job that ESPN did to constantly remind us all of how many big plays the suspended players made during the game. Uhh, thanks dipshits.
good on them. played with ineligible players all year and had the temerity to ask that their meager suspension be served "next year." there should be a toejam auto-reply to every one of your posts.
m club,

You have been cranky lately. DickRod got fired.........you should be happy.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

eh, short of harbaugh coming i was hoping dickrod would stay, albeit with a defensive overhaul. i think he got a raw deal and that a lot of revisionist history is going on right now.

but really not impressed with brandon's handling of the situation, unless he has an ace up his sleeve. doubt it. we'll probably just end up with gay azz brady hoke two weeks from now, which is inexcusable considering we could have had that fat fuck lined up in october. who knows, perhaps he smokes the same shit as chizik and will surprise us all with his recruiting acumen, but i just don't see him rolling into anyone's living room, saying i was the coach at ball state, and convincing them to maintain their commitment to a scheme wholly different than what dickrod was selling.

of course these things often turn out differently than we expect, so i should probably withhold judgment, but there's absolutely zero optimism surrounding this decision. people who are happy dickrod's gone probably haven't thought through the now what's.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

albeit with a defensive overhaul.
Did you really think a defensive overhaul was coming if DickRod stayed?
people who are happy dickrod's gone probably haven't thought through the now what's.
Yep. It was sorta like when Iowa banished Alford to New Mexico and everyone was happy until they found out we hired Todd Lickliter and the people celebrating Alfords banishment were like "what the fuck, man? Tom Likslighter? Who da fuck is dis guy? Fuck me! Fuck you! Fuck everyone!"

I really don't get it. Michigan has been down for a few years and all of a sudden they can't hire a top-notch coach? It doesn't make sense. It's still..........Michigan. Notre Dame's been down since WWII or something like that but their last 2 hires were pretty big names. Alabama got Saban after quite a few mediocre years. What do they have that Michigan doesn't? This is why I'm not convinced they don't have a big name up their sleeve. They've got to. Come on......you're really going to fire Rich Rodriguez after 3 years for Brady Hoke? Doesn't that just bring you right back to where you were when Lloyd left.......just with a younger coach?

I keep hearing media members say they need to hire a "Michigan guy". I get so fucking annoyed of media dolts that always claim a program should go after "one of their own" when the last guy who wasn't "one of their own" failed. Shut the fuck up, morons. Michigan needs the best coach they can get. If that guy has Michigan ties, awesome. If not, who gives a shit? So what if the boosters aren't going to give each other handjobs in celebration of the hire? Those tards will be whacking off to the guy as soon as he starts winning. Having ties to the program doesn't help you recruit. Being a proven winner that has ties to recruiting hotbeds is what wins you football games.

Maybe I'm just in denial here, but I gotta believe your AD has something up his sleeve. It's not that I don't think Brady Hoke could win at Michigan, but there's got to be a more qualified candidate they can get. And if they don't hire someone more qualified, I would say they didn't do a good enough job of locating one.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

TheJON wrote: Did you really think a defensive overhaul was coming if DickRod stayed?
i don't think he would have had a choice. he twice hired someone to coordinate a scheme his assistants were familiar with, not the actual coordinator. i can't explain this (aside from stupidity). but most coaches are given a chance to overhaul their staff and try again.

i get that brandon's concerned with the excitement surrounding the program, but i think there would have been a great deal going into next year: dickrod's first veteran offense, a pretty easy schedule, and a defense with some actual coaching. an average defense would probably net 10 wins next year.

I really don't get it. Michigan has been down for a few years and all of a sudden they can't hire a top-notch coach? It doesn't make sense...you're really going to fire Rich Rodriguez after 3 years for Brady Hoke? Doesn't that just bring you right back to where you were when Lloyd left.......just with a younger coach?
this hasn't played out yet, so who knows, maybe they can. i'm just not in a very optimistic mood. i'm open to being pleasantly surprised. i should also say a big name isn't necessarily the answer, though it'd make me feel better in the short term rather than waiting a year or two to see how it all pans out.

hoke would probably fare better during the transition than dickrod did. quick turnarounds are tied to an emphasis on defense, which is what hoke does. i thought the transition to dickrod would be easier considering a lot of the 06 defense returned, but, er, the 3-3-5 and nick sheridan.

also, dickrod's leaving more talent behind for whomever follows than carr left for him, all of which will lead to self-congratulatory pieces in the free press about a return to michigan values or something when we go 8-4 three years from now.

I keep hearing media members say they need to hire a "Michigan guy". I get so fucking annoyed of media dolts that always claim a program should go after "one of their own" when the last guy who wasn't "one of their own" failed.
you and me both. people act like being a decent human being is something exclusive to michigan. or that you need to understand the unique history of michigan football to succeed there. catching up on tradition takes an afternoon of reading. considering all the resources, the only thing you need to succeed in aa is to be a good football coach. oh, and not having half your alumni sabotage your efforts because you're not stan debord.

and i like something the mgoblog guy said about hoke today: "If he'd been a Michigan State assistant no one would have ever brought him up." makes sense.

Maybe I'm just in denial here, but I gotta believe your AD has something up his sleeve.
i suppose the default is to assume these are smart people, but sometimes they just aren't. hope you're right, though.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

ah, the halcyon days of dickrod, umich football coach:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26369