Weekend Roll Call 10-21-23

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Re: Weekend Roll Call 10-21-23

Post by Ken »

Mikey wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:00 pm Here’s what I’m working on today - cutting back last spring/summer’s crop of matilija poppies. That hedge trimmer with an extension works great but it weighs a shit ton. It has another extension I can add but you need to wear a shoulder strap to hold it up.
'Enjoying' retirement, I see :lol:

But to be honest, I enjoy the gardening (just not the leaf pick-up at this time of year). As a horticulturalist, I can appreciate the work and the fruits that it bears. Maybe next spring when my gardens awaken, I'll post a PET or two.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Kierland wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:04 pm
Mikey wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:48 pm
Kierland wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:07 pm There you have it guys. That’s what you picked as being better than smacking the shit out of eachother.
Does that kind of stuff scare you? You also may have to deal with it sometime.
I think I am as well prepared as anyone, just not into discussing outside my fam and dr and occasionally my irl friends. I just never understood how this place was supposed to also be a place for it. I missed a memo I guess.
I’m certainly glad we have you here to define the limits of taste and acceptability. Like I said in my earlier post, I’m sure you don’t want to hear about my prostate but apparently JSC isn’t quite so shy. Can you give us some narrative on where, specifically, you would draw the line? You’re probably OK with discussing tits, right? How about dick size (length and circumference). What about getting so drunk you throw up in a restaurant. Would that be a good topic for discussion and maybe a PET? We could use a really good rubric to consult before hitting “submit.”
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

I’m not the gatekeeper. I don’t give a fuck what you all talk about. I’m just laughing at people complaining about being smacked on a smackboard. It’s not the topics I was commenting on it’s every one getting pissy when I’m too mean or whatever in your FB Mom Group threads.

“T1B-This place is dying we need more traffic.
Me: Post Post Post
T1B: Not what we meant.”
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Maybe a little more variety?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:31 pm
Mikey wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:00 pm Here’s what I’m working on today - cutting back last spring/summer’s crop of matilija poppies. That hedge trimmer with an extension works great but it weighs a shit ton. It has another extension I can add but you need to wear a shoulder strap to hold it up.

But to be honest, I enjoy the gardening (just not the leaf pick-up at this time of year). As a horticulturalist, I can appreciate the work and the fruits that it bears. Maybe next spring when my gardens awaken, I'll post a PET or two.
Can I ask what kind of horticulture you do?

Yardwork, right now, is my main form of exercise. With an acre of land there's always something to do. Luckily, the leaves aren't something I need to deal with much. We really have only one deciduous tree, a fairly large sycamore. We have several large native oak trees that aren't deciduous but they drop a lot of leaves late in the summer. I pretty much just leave them on the ground because they're good for the soil and everything that grows in it. Some of them are probably four to eight inches deep and I'm going to be moving some of them soon to protect some wildflower seeds that I'll be broadcasting in the next couple of weeks. I have a couple of pounds of native California wildflower seeds to spread before our next rain, and they need some protection from the birds.

This is our sycamore, which was already there when we moved here in 1999. It will shed all of those leaves by mid winter, and makes a pretty big mess up on the top of the slope, but we don't really have anything else up there so I just leave them. Besides, about half of them end up in our neighbor's yard anyway. :mrgreen:

Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Mikey wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:22 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:31 pm

Can I ask what kind of horticulture you do?

Yardwork, right now, is my main form of exercise. With an acre of land there's always something to do. Luckily, the leaves aren't something I need to deal with much. We really have only one deciduous tree, a fairly large sycamore. We have several large native oak trees that aren't deciduous but they drop a lot of leaves late in the summer. I pretty much just leave them on the ground because they're good for the soil and everything that grows in it. Some of them are probably four to eight inches deep and I'm going to be moving some of them soon to protect some wildflower seeds that I'll be broadcasting in the next couple of weeks. I have a couple of pounds of native California wildflower seeds to spread before our next rain, and they need some protection from the birds.

This is our sycamore, which was already there when we moved here in 1999. It will shed all of those leaves by mid winter, and makes a pretty big mess up on the top of the slope, but we don't really have anything else up there so I just leave them. Besides, about half of them end up in our neighbor's yard anyway. :mrgreen:

Sycamores suck. If you have one in your yard here in the east, you will start raking leaves midsummer. They might be beautiful, but as far as yardwork goes, they can squat on a dick.

To answer your question, I have almost always been in the seed industry side of horticulture. For a loooong time, sales/marketing on the flower seed side. Hybrids and open pollinated. My favorite were sweet peas... we were the largest sweet pea production company in the world and sold literal thousands of pounds around the world. Currently, do the same for a vegetable breeding company... broccoli, tomatoes, squash, peppers, watermelon, etc, etc, etc...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

LOL that sycamore, in spite of the other work I’ve put in in the past 24 years, is still our favorite plant in the entire yard. For one thing I could never start one now and have it grow that big in my lifetime. It’s about 30 feet back from the top of a 20 foot bank above the house, and at the other end of our yard from the pool area, so when we sit there we’re well back and below it. Looking up at it against a summer blue sky with a gentle breeze blowing, I tend to space out watching the top branches sway back and forth. And every once in a while a Cooper’s hawk or a red tailed hawk will land up in there.

I started purchasing native wildflower seeds this year from a national distributor called Nature’s Seeds. They carry all sorts of seeds but also have a section for local wildflowers. It’s cheaper to mail order from them than to buy them at a nursery, which probably gets them there anyway. I bought about 2 1/2 pounds and plan to spread them before our first major rain (assuming we get any). Some of my piled up oak leaves will become a thin mulch layer to protect the seeds from birds.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Take some of the mulch in a bucket or wheelbarrow, smash it up a bit, add a tackifier (like guar or plantago) and add some water, liquid fertilizer and some dye (so you can see where you have covered) and your seeds to make a slurry and then use a brush to fling it where you need it. Depending on the ground you could paint it on with broom or roller or you can use a sprayer if you have the right one but most people don’t. Basically hydro seeding for dummies. :0071: