Electric Powered Flight

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: Electric Powered Flight

Post by smackaholic »

They wouldn't, unless there is some way you could grind them up, liquefy them and burn them.

ANd Dins made a great point about fuel cells. If you want to use hydrogen to push a plane through the air, turning that hydrogen into electricity so you can spin a propeller, is a pretty fukking retarded way to do it. Just burn it in a jet engine.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Yup, water can be fuel. You can take 100 watts of power to bust up H and O2 and get something less than 100 watts worth of H power.

I'm no mikey when it comes to arithmetic, but that seems like a bad deal.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:39 pm The answer is not batteries.
- What do you want to do?
- fly
- what do you really want to do?
- move from point a to point b
- is there a more efficient way to do so?
Beam me up scotty.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Dumbspray wrote:Actually, the fastest man has ever traveled was 24,791 mph on Apollo 10's return trip to Earth...
rotf...
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Papa Willie wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:03 pm
smackaholic wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 pm Yup, water can be fuel. You can take 100 watts of power to bust up H and O2 and get something less than 100 watts worth of H power.

There's a way to do it more efficiently, but we just haven't figured out how to do it yet. Probably won't happen in our lifetimes...
Yep. The same way it's now possible to turn lead into gold. All things are possible....just not right now. Earth is old. Someone already figured it out.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

EAP wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:49 pm
Innocent Bystander wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:39 pm The answer is not batteries.
- What do you want to do?
- fly
- what do you really want to do?
- move from point a to point b
- is there a more efficient way to do so?
Beam me up scotty.
You're ex-military. You should know better than anyone what's possible with a deadline and a budget.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:02 pm
Papa Willie wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:03 pm
smackaholic wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 pm Yup, water can be fuel. You can take 100 watts of power to bust up H and O2 and get something less than 100 watts worth of H power.

There's a way to do it more efficiently, but we just haven't figured out how to do it yet. Probably won't happen in our lifetimes...
Yep. The same way it's now possible to turn lead into gold. All things are possible....just not right now. Earth is old. Someone already figured it out.
Wrong.
Next to GOD?
A 5 billion year old planet earth is hardly an infant even.

To a supreme intelligence far beyond anything that we could possibly comprehend, 5 billion years is but the blink of an eye.

Stop limiting yourself.
Be more contemplative and intellectually curious like me.

The problem with this board is too many left wing trolls who lack the intellectual curiosity,
Yet have an over abundance of bi-curiosity.
Go figure.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Roach wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:53 pm Next Huuge step will be for someone to harness static electricity. Like in Atlas Shrugged, but letting the producers reap their rewards.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 5814037679

Bullshit, or right direction?
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:41 pm
Roach wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:53 pm Next Huuge step will be for someone to harness static electricity. Like in Atlas Shrugged, but letting the producers reap their rewards.

The transporter room in star trek shows more promise.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

EAP wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:23 pm The problem with this board is too many left wing trolls who lack the intellectual curiosity,
Go figure.
Do you like penis?

Are you circumcised?

Do holes matter?
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

EAP wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Explain. Where is the fuck up with the direction of their hypothesis?
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

You know more about aviation than I, duhron. How much more power does it take a seaplane to go 20 miles than a landbased plane?

The takeoff must take a fair bit more, pontoons are heavier than struts, and you don't have the ability to tuck them away in flight.

Of course, they are a convenient place to stow batteries.

If/when we do see commercial short range flights, I think it will be landbased.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I don’t have a seaplane rating but somethings are pretty standard.

Float planes don’t necessarily need more power. Many planes can have floats fitted aftermarket. In these cases they don’t modify the engine. However they do require certain operating changes. For example, a seaplane requires a higher Vr speed as water has much higher friction and suction effects to overcome than does a runway and air. That doesn’t always mean more power is needed as the power setting could be the same and it just requires a longer takeoff run.

Also the floats increase drag a ton. So if you set the power at the same as a land based plane of the same make/model you would see a slower airspeed for the float equipped plane. This would mean it would take longer to fly the same distance at the same power setting. Hence a higher fuel burn due to the longer duration.

As for floats being a good pace to store batteries, yes and no. Sure that interior space is basically wasted but that doesn’t mean you can just fill it up. Batteries are heavy and would significantly alter the center of gravity of the aircraft. Put too many batteries and the center of gravity would be outside the airframe. That ain’t good. This is why you don’t see luggage going into floats today.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

It would seem to me that a lower CG would actually improve stability, would it not?

And isn’t this a desired trait in most anything other than a fighter which trades stability for maneuverability.

As for pontoons not being used for luggage, luggage is bulky. It would require large pontoons. And they would be susceptible to shifting around. This is not a good thing, particularly so far outside the pitch and rotational axis of the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Papa Willie wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:04 pm
Dinsdale wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:19 am
Mikey wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:48 pm

No, but they’re probably more suited for longer electric powered flights due to the higher energy density of hydrogen over any current battery technology.
How to reduce the energy potential of natural gas by 80%:

Fill a hydrogen fuel cell.

Sure you can bust water open to get hydrogen (which isn't done to fill fuel cells), and get some ridiculously small return for the energy that was put in.

When the Hydrogen Fairy starts filling fuel cells you leave under your pillow, let me know. Otherwise... *YAWN*. Sure, Spray is a moron with his absurd "batteries haven't improved," but had he said it about hydrogen fuel cells, which have been around over 100 years, he'd be spot-on... they haven't really improved an iota... because physics and stuff.
Nope. You’re dumbassing as well.

Uhm... no, I'm not.

But it's clear that you reallyreallyreallyreally don't understand how a battery works.

We've dug enough shit out of the ground that we've found it all (and the Periodic Table backs this up, for the most part). So, short of inventing new elements, what do you propose?

My buddy has a battery that's about 3" x 4" x3" (I know, SM -- fantasy numbers) that can start a car after sitting untouched on a shelf for months. Seems like a MASSIVE technological jump to me, considering,,, and here's what you don't seem to get... electrons don't come out of thin air... which if someone can figure out how to do that, everything changes (and we'll all be riding electric unicorns).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Papa Willie wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:50 am
Dinsdale wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:09 am My buddy has a battery that's about 3" x 4" x3" (I know, SM -- fantasy numbers) that can start a car after sitting untouched on a shelf for months.
Start an internal combustion engine? What kind of car?
Probably not his 6.7 Cummins, but pretty much any gas engine.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Starting a modern 4 cylinder doesn't really take a lot of power and it only needs it for a moment. It is still quite impressive and is proot that batteries have come a ways. But dino juice still kicks its ass, energy density-wise.

Also, I suspect that thing probably doesn't have a hell of a lot of cycles in it.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:48 pm
EAP wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Explain. Where is the fuck up with the direction of their hypothesis?
Well for starters, once you break up all our molecules, technically you'd be dead.
Last edited by EAP on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:48 pm
EAP wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:23 pm The problem with this board is too many left wing trolls who lack the intellectual curiosity,
Go figure.
Do you like penis?

Are you circumcised?

Do holes matter?
Who doesn't like their own member?
Cleanliness is next to godliness.
Without holes, there's no place for the member.
Any more dumb questions?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Hey dumbass, you logged into the wrong troll or do you always talk to yourself on BBs.

Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:19 am

How to reduce the energy potential of natural gas by 80%:

Fill a hydrogen fuel cell.

Sure you can bust water open to get hydrogen (which isn't done to fill fuel cells), and get some ridiculously small return for the energy that was put in.

When the Hydrogen Fairy starts filling fuel cells you leave under your pillow, let me know. Otherwise... *YAWN*. Sure, Spray is a moron with his absurd "batteries haven't improved," but had he said it about hydrogen fuel cells, which have been around over 100 years, he'd be spot-on... they haven't really improved an iota... because physics and stuff.
I worked for a major turf equipment manufacturer based out of Minnesota back in the early 90's. I was primarily sales and service on a regional level in the Pacific NW. Due to my location in the wet side of the NW, I was often shipped prototype equipment to test under adverse field conditions. Once a year they brought us all to a warmer climate to do some prototype testing. In Florida one year we went out to an isolated area on a golf course that they had rented and closed for the entire day. They pulled off some tarps and there sat a riding greens mower with a hydrogen cell on it . This was during the early development days of electric turf equipment, since it was going to be in huge demand for all the environmental fags to trumpet and also for the quiet factor so that they could mow greens early in the AM without disturbing Dins and others in their gated communities.

Golf equipment was a particular target of all the manufacturers because the torque requirements are fairly low on most golf mowers. They briefed us on the unit, and said try it out, the problem we have right now is we can only mow about 3 to 4 greens with it depending on transport speed and distances. I got 3 greens mowed and it died on the cart path on the way to the fourth. Pretty much the same result for the 2 units they had there. Now these engineers were some pretty smart mother fuckers, and together with the accountants they pretty much figured there was no way this hydrogen powered unit was going to work and much less chance it could be manufactured and distributed world wide with any kind of economy of scale and sufficient profits for both manufacturer and distributors to be competitive in the world market place.

The units were taken back to the factory, the hydrogen units removed and placed in a secure storage area and still remain there to this day over 30 years later. My contacts still there say that the engineers have been working on the electric products, they look at market and research developments in hydrogen power from time to time, but there has been nothing brought to the surface that even makes this a remote possibility,and anything a manufacturer will throw any kind of development money at in the next 20 years minimum in his estimation. That will bring an entirely new generation of engineers to the company (s) and research sourcing that they gathered information from, but as a company their focus on alternative fuel units will remain electric in nature.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Dinsdale wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:09 am and here's what you don't seem to get... electrons don't come out of thin air..
Because air isn’t made of any elements that contain electrons.
You should stick to digging ditches.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

smackaholic wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:20 pm Hey dumbass, you logged into the wrong troll or do you always talk to yourself on BBs.

EAP's obsession with dick measuring is fascinating to me.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:03 pm
smackaholic wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:20 pm Hey dumbass, you logged into the wrong troll or do you always talk to yourself on BBs.

A Russian blue licking a dalmatian's asshole is also high on your list as well.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

EAP wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Is that a 'wheels on the bus goes round and round' reset? That's fair, I guess.

What fascinates you most about penis? Sbout your own, and about others? Is your penis a part of you, like your elbow or knee, something that's so mundane you don't think about it until it doesn't work or is in pain? Or is your penis an alien, a Siamese twin you debate with because you two aren't always on the same wavelength?

When you ejaculate, do you feel content or gypped?
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:53 pm
EAP wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Is that a 'wheels on the bus goes round and round' reset? That's fair, I guess.

What fascinates you most about penis? Sbout your own, and about others? Is your penis a part of you, like your elbow or knee, something that's so mundane you don't think about it until it doesn't work or is in pain? Or is your penis an alien, a Siamese twin you debate with because you two aren't always on the same wavelength?

When you ejaculate, do you feel content or gypped?
That's some deep psychobabble you got goin on there.
Are you lyin on the couch spilling everything to your analyst?
Does she have nice legs?
Were you born in a hospital or at home?
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

What is your penis telling you right now?
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:03 pm What is your penis telling you right now?
That you sound like a vagina wet and ready.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Do you trust your penis, though?
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:12 pm Do you trust your penis, though?
With my life.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

EAP wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:37 pm
Innocent Bystander wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:12 pm Do you trust your penis, though?
With my life.
You're too experienced to be led by something which will fail you through no fault except nature.

You rule it. It doesn't rule you.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:49 am
EAP wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:37 pm
With my life.
You're too experienced to be led by something which will fail you through no fault except nature.

You rule it. It doesn't rule you.
I'm a freak of nature as I still get hard even at my advanced age.
You?
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

I call bullshit. But whatever, man.
Keep it wrapped, and don't make stupid decisions.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:34 am Keep it wrapped
The wisest thing you have ever said.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:51 am
Innocent Bystander wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:34 am Keep it wrapped
The wisest thing you have ever said.

You do know she's talking to herself ?
EAP wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am The STATE has all the answers
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

EAP, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:34 am I call bullshit. But whatever, man.
Keep it wrapped, and don't make stupid decisions.
Keep it wrapped? Like a charms blow pop?
Slap
Elwood

Post by Slap »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:03 pm What is your penis telling you right now?
I have morning wood. My penis is telling me to fuck. FUCK!!

:brad:
smackaholic wrote:I would touch someone's dick, hell, I'd fukking blow him
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Slap wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:53 am
I have morning wood. My penis is telling me to fuck. FUCK!!

:brad:
We think alike. I like the way you think. I'm gonna keep my eye on you.