Expense report hell

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: Expense report hell

Post by smackaholic »

And my expense report hell just got even deeper.

I have a corporate Amex. I am instructed to put all expenses on it, when possible. I used to cheat a little and use my person IHG mastercard,to get the extra points on hotel stays, but have had my pee-pee slapped for doing so, so now, it is amex, exclusively. I had been keeping all receipts for this. Most are airport parking and gas. These receipts, as you know are frequently about as readable as a 3 AM AP post. Last month I realized that I could get a single, legible list of these expenses from my Amex statement. So, I did just that. Turned in a months worth and they sailed right past my manager no problem, other than he requested the actual receipts for hotel stays. No problem, I figured as it is a good way to ensure a $220 hotel receipt isn't $79 for the room and $141 for movies/room service.

Anyhoo, I decided to stop keeping gas/parking receipts if I could put them on the Amex. And last night I get an email from a corporate bean counter saying that the amex receipt is not sufficient. Fortunately, on the amex site, you can click on a line and get a fair bit more detail on a payment. The gas receipt will actually say it was for fuel and not snickers bars or beer. Hopefully this will fly with them. If not, I could eat a few hundred dollars worth of parking/gas. And that would suck.

Damn, I really do love working for a large corporation. You try to do something that streamlines a process and still gives them the ability to verify an expense and they don't want to hear about it. 5 minutes later you get an email instructing you to view a 6 Sigma company powerpoint. They need to jam 6 Sigma up their ass sideways.

I really do believe that the bottom line here is they know that most employees do expense reporting on their own time and therefore, it's not high on their list of things to give a shit about. Maybe I should go back to regular receipts, max out my personal card use for points and just blackout the line that has credit card type/number as it is my personal info and not any of their fukking business.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Hey, I just did like my 20th training in writing SMART goals. I feel better already.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Suckaholic, just turn in your god damn receipts. Why is this so difficult?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Holic.

Snap a photo of the receipt with your smart phone. Then one day at work email the photos to your work email and then print said photo.

Two advantages here. One you don't have to keep track of the paper copy and two it puts each receipt on one sheet of paper and makes your expense report super large and then the bean counters have to deal with an ass load of paper.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

I put my receipts in a shoe box and have my son help me sort them on April 14. Ok who am I trying to kid? We do it on the 15th.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Damn, Holic... you mean the company wants you to use the company card, and turn in receipts?

Ohhhh, the humanity. That's unheard of. Except to anyone who has ever turned in expenses.

BTW -- I believe the major hotel chains will... get this... email you your freaking receipt. Also, if you stay at the same major chain every time, you rack up all the "points," which will typically go under your name, not the company's (I think KCScott has mastered the art). Heck,last summer, we occasionally got the free upgrade to a suite (seemed to happen more checking in on a Friday or Saturday, rather than a Sunday or Monday, when the working stiffs show up). Some of those suites were bigger and infinitely nicer than some places I've lived.

Speaking of such things -- hard to beat that yummy hotel "hot breakfast." But I did learn that if you work until the wee hours, then go back to the hotel and start drinking like a banshee... that a lot of people get really judgey when you show up in the lobby at 6AM staggering drunk and start throwing down on shitty bacon and eggs.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Moving Sale wrote:I put my receipts in a shoe box and have my son help me sort them on April 14. Ok who am I trying to kid? We do it on the 15th.
You have a kid to help you?

That makes your accounting system approximately 100% more efficient than mine.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Suckaholic, just turn in your god damn receipts. Why is this so difficult?
Can you fukking read? I have been doing that, including the horrible airport receipts that aer near impossible to read at times. I recently decides, hey, amex was nice enough to put them in a readable list, let me use that.

So, I did. Sailed right by the manager, no problem. Then it got to some poor fukking bean counter who wants me to go back and get all the receipts, some of which chucked, some I just didnt bother getting. "scuse the fukk out of me for actually attempting to make a process simpler and easier, just like the 6S nazis want.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.